Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #26
LeatherTrumpet
That's what she said
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 76,834


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
And we don't?!? You believe we are told it straight... how it is? I think you'l find that we've been lied to quite a bit, especially about Russia.
by who, be specific?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #27
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,079
Blog Entries: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
by who, be specific?
Oh come on! there is so much one sided bias (that can work both ways) with mainstream media. It feels like every newspaper has an agenda that pushes their own political interests/beliefs. The only daily paper that calls out the lies… be it tactfully, is the Independent but even with this paper there isn't anything like enough critical thinking necessary to stop people being brain washed. People honestly do become the regular paper they read!
Mainstream media are full of opinions without facts. Nothings transparent and when its not transparent, its readers aren't able to make choices. I could sit and read the Daily Mails political section and quickly point out its superficial inaccuracies and I can do the same with The Guardian but what's the point?
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #28
LeatherTrumpet
That's what she said
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 76,834


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Oh come on! there is so much one sided bias (that can work both ways) with mainstream media. It feels like every newspaper has an agenda that pushes their own political interests/beliefs. The only daily paper that calls out the lies… be it tactfully, is the Independent but even with this paper there isn't anything like enough critical thinking necessary to stop people being brain washed. People honestly do become the regular paper they read!
Mainstream media are full of opinions without facts. Nothings transparent and when its not transparent, its readers aren't able to make choices. I could sit and read the Daily Mails political section and quickly point out its superficial inaccuracies and I can do the same with The Guardian but what's the point?
You are not seriously comparing our media to that of Russia?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #29
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,079
Blog Entries: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
You are not seriously comparing our media to that of Russia?
You're not seriously saying you believe everything you are told?
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #30
LeatherTrumpet
That's what she said
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 76,834


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
You're not seriously saying you believe everything you are told?
not only is that a rather silly question, it does not answer mine?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #31
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,079
Blog Entries: 115
Default

If you choose to align yourself with the popular story. If you choose to believe it and adopt it as truth, then you make yourself very safe in the context of society and tribal living. Its like religion. If you want to be able to put reason to everything then religion supplies you with that, whereas science doesn't.
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #32
parmnion
I'm a brawbag
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 34,481

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
If you choose to align yourself with the popular story. If you choose to believe it and adopt it as truth, then you make yourself very safe in the context of society and tribal living. Its like religion. If you want to be able to put reason to everything then religion supplies you with that, whereas science doesn't.

Scientists, tell you that..you were brainwashed from school.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #33
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,079
Blog Entries: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
not only is that a rather silly question, it does not answer mine?
Yours was a silly question because I don't speak or read Russian and therefore can only answer your question on the British angle.
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #34
jet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,380

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan
CBB 11: Speidi
X Factor 2012: Jahmene Douglas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Oh come on! there is so much one sided bias (that can work both ways) with mainstream media. It feels like every newspaper has an agenda that pushes their own political interests/beliefs. The only daily paper that calls out the lies… be it tactfully, is the Independent but even with this paper there isn't anything like enough critical thinking necessary to stop people being brain washed. People honestly do become the regular paper they read!
Mainstream media are full of opinions without facts. Nothings transparent and when its not transparent, its readers aren't able to make choices. I could sit and read the Daily Mails political section and quickly point out its superficial inaccuracies and I can do the same with The Guardian but what's the point?
So where do you get your absolute facts from if you can tell all the papers report lies/inaccuracies and not their own opinions of facts (which will obviously be biased to a lesser or greater degree, and which anyone of average intelligence can ascertain by reading between the lines).
The BBC? Sky News? Where? As you seem to know they are lies, inaccuracies, and just opinions, spill your 100% factual sources as I'd like to be in the know as well.
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #35
MTVN
All hail the Moyesiah
 
MTVN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Country
Posts: 52,605

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli
CBB20: Paul Danan
CBB15: Cami Li


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Oh come on! there is so much one sided bias (that can work both ways) with mainstream media. It feels like every newspaper has an agenda that pushes their own political interests/beliefs. The only daily paper that calls out the lies… be it tactfully, is the Independent but even with this paper there isn't anything like enough critical thinking necessary to stop people being brain washed. People honestly do become the regular paper they read!
Mainstream media are full of opinions without facts. Nothings transparent and when its not transparent, its readers aren't able to make choices. I could sit and read the Daily Mails political section and quickly point out its superficial inaccuracies and I can do the same with The Guardian but what's the point?
The Indy has not been a serious news source since it went out of print
MTVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #36
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,079
Blog Entries: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
So where do you get your absolute facts from if you can tell all the papers report lies/inaccuracies and not their own opinions of facts (which will obviously be biased to a lesser or greater degree, and which anyone of average intelligence can ascertain by reading between the lines).
The BBC? Sky News? Where? As you seem to know they are lies, inaccuracies, and just opinions, spill your 100% factual sources as I'd like to be in the know as well.
When it comes to fiscal spending, most of the reporters in the national press simply don't understand how it works and so parrot the lies of the politicians. That's just lazy journalism but its lazy journalism that controls public thinking. If you want to understand about how tax works (and most people don't) and if you want to understand how and why we have austerity or if you want to understand the difference between household spending and government spending, start studying and stop reading blurry reporting because only then can you separate fact from fiction.

Also stop reading the paper that just suits your agenda and polarizes your views. Just because the paper says what you want it to say, doesn't make it truth. Stop reading what sells because its bulked out with exaggeration and sensationalizing. Most national papers treat us like idiots with their alarmist rhetoric.

In these modern times we have both neutral and factual information at our finger tips. Its easy enough to fact check.
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #37
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,079
Blog Entries: 115
Default

I don't like Putin. I believe he's a thug and I believe his propaganda machine is worse than ours. But since Cameron took the throne we've been treating Russia (Putin) as the enemy. What happened in Ukraine was a reaction to EU expansion and although I still somewhat sit on the side of the EU and Washington, I fully understand why, when we encroached onto Russians Black Sea, there was a strong reaction from the Putin. Would the EU allow the UK to fall into Russian hands? Did Washington allow Cuba to align itself with Russia?!? What we were doing was weakening Russian borders. We now have NATO patrolling the Black Sea. Thats like Russia patrolling the English Channel!

As for Syria and the attempt to topple Assad. We aligned ourselves with Islamic jihadists and attempted to hand Syria over to Islamic State and we tried to do that, not because Assad is an evil dictator (which he possibly is) but because Syria aligns itself with Iran and Russia and had apposed a pipeline from the Gulf States to Europe.

If there's one thing I would praise Trump for, it was his initial attempt to reduce tension between Putin and the West. Perhaps he naively believed he could stop this drive on a new Cold War with Russia.
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #38
LeatherTrumpet
That's what she said
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 76,834


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
The Indy has not been a serious news source since it went out of print
correct it is mere clickbait now in order to survive

notice how it continuously triggers Kizzy, for example
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #39
jet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,380

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan
CBB 11: Speidi
X Factor 2012: Jahmene Douglas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
When it comes to fiscal spending, most of the reporters in the national press simply don't understand how it works and so parrot the lies of the politicians. That's just lazy journalism but its lazy journalism that controls public thinking. If you want to understand about how tax works (and most people don't) and if you want to understand how and why we have austerity or if you want to understand the difference between household spending and government spending, start studying and stop reading blurry reporting because only then can you separate fact from fiction.

Also stop reading the paper that just suits your agenda and polarizes your views. Just because the paper says what you want it to say, doesn't make it truth. Stop reading what sells because its bulked out with exaggeration and sensationalizing. Most national papers treat us like idiots with their alarmist rhetoric.

In these modern times we have both neutral and factual information at our finger tips. Its easy enough to fact check.

I read a variety of papers and have a mind of my own, thanks.
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #40
Brillopad
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,121
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I read a variety of papers and have a mind of my own, thanks.
Honestly Jet - could DRs posts get any more patronising and belittling.

If we don’t support Corbyn or mass migration we are allegedly all a bunch of uneducated drones. Getting really tiresome - but most of all, especially from her
Point of few, it is unlikely to convert others to her way of thinking.

Last edited by Brillopad; 24-03-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #41
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,079
Blog Entries: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Honestly Jet - could DRs posts get any more patronising and belittling.

If we don’t support Corbyn or mass migration we are allegedly all a bunch of uneducated drones. Getting really tiresome - but most of all, especially from her
Point of few, it is unlikely to convert others to her way of thinking.
Oh what's wrong Brillo, you took it all personally and therefore have nothing to debate
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #42
jet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,380

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan
CBB 11: Speidi
X Factor 2012: Jahmene Douglas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Oh what's wrong Brillo, you took it all personally and therefore have nothing to debate
Just DR being patronising and belittling again brillo.
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #43
Brillopad
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,121
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Oh what's wrong Brillo, you took it all personally and therefore have nothing to debate
Nope. Personally I would say the same about your increasingly patronising posts.

Such a tone often stems from desperation - or alternatively is exactly how it comes across - as put-down, condescending garbage from those who see their views as more knowledgable. It is pompous nonsense in my opinion.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #44
JoshBB
iconic
 
JoshBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8,984

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
Default

To be honest.. I can understand the comparison, but as Foreign Secretary, surely Boris could use a more diplomatic tone
__________________
"PLEASE, how do i become a gay icon???" (:

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB19: Lewis F
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB8: Charley
BB7: Aisylene
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
austin, boris, cup, hitler, ian, johnson, labour, mp, olympics, putin, russia, suggests, world

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:54 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts