Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-03-2018, 01:35 PM #76
You know my methods

You know my methods

the guardian link?

Hyper partisan liberal - questionable journalistic value

oh dear
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 01:57 PM #77
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
the guardian link?

oh dear
It's a tabloid, I'd say basically all of them fall into that category (on either left or right).
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 03:47 AM #78

[QUOTE=Dezzy;9932998]"Media is pretty much my area of expertise, you aren't going to get far by trying to explain it to me."

Nor, I'm afraid, will you get very far with me in claiming that ' Media is pretty much' your 'area of expertise' when the statements with which you follow up your claim are nothing more than 'PERSONAL OPINION' which is NOT supported by the FACTS of the matter under discussion.

"The newspapers tailor their spin to their target audience, that's pretty much a fact which is why things like Right Wing terrorism won't get reported on as much as Islamic terrorism because Britain as a whole is very Right Wing at the moment, most of the target audiences that these papers aim for don't want to hear about white terrorists that aren't killing for their own twisted take on Islam which is why this isn't a bigger story."

Right-Wing terrorism does NOT get reported as much as Islamic Terrorism by the media simply because acts of Right-Wing Terrorism are SIGNIFICANTLY less in number than acts of Islamic Terrorism - especially within the UK.

Even in the USA - where Far Right Extremist violence is far more prolific than it is here - Deaths due to Islamic Terrorist Acts outnumber deaths due to Far Right Extremist Terrorist Acts by a colossal 62 to 1 ratio - ONCE the 'manipulated' statistics of Left Wing Data Analysts are corrected.

"Thomas Muir was a terrorist, his murder of Jo Cox was politically motivated and was meant to inspire fear in the people who wished to remain."

The above is nothing more than YOUR Personal Opinion - an opinion which, again, is NOT validated by the facts of the matter.

Mair's horrific act WAS 'Politically Motivated' - carried out by him for his own twisted reasons because he DETESTED Jo Cox's politics but there is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE that Mair's motives included any intention to 'inspire fear in the people who wished to remain' - NONE whatsoever - and I challenge you to produce any to support your 'opinion'.

"If what Thomas Muir did does not qualify him as a terrorist then people must have a very incorrect view on what terrorism is. The newspapers and people that do not call him a terrorist can only be doing so because his face did not fit the current image of what terrorists look like."

There is a VAST difference between a murder being 'Politically Motivated' and being an 'Act of Terrorism', and as I already stated in my earlier post, apart from his act being a 'TERRIBLE' act because it caused 'Terror' by its very perpetration, Mair was NOT a 'terrorist' within the accepted definitions of the word.

It is also irrefutable that in spite of Mair’s subscription to Neo-Nazi, Far Right, and White Supremacist literature, he was NOT actually a MEMBER of any of these organisations.

It's the same in the US, can you remember that teenager that shot up a gospel church in response to the Black Lives Matter movement? That was terrorism but I don't think many elements of the media called it out as such because the shooter wasn't a muslim."

I'm sorry, but throughout your post, Dezzy, you are guilty of committing the same 'crime' of that which you accuse certain Media of; and that is, putting a 'spin' on the facts due to 'Personal Bias'.

SOME 'Personal Bias' may find its way into certain reporting by certain of the media, but any reluctance to call any murderer - mass or otherwise - 'a terrorist' on the part of the media in general, here or in the USA, has, I feel, more to do with the actual FACTS of the case than it has the 'Colour', Creed' or 'Nationality' or 'Culture' of the perpetrator.

"This isn't something new, look back at the UK in the 70/80's, the image of a terrorist in those days were the IRA and the media went in hard on trying to demonise Irish people. Any terrorist attacks not related to the IRA probably would not have got much traction as it would have if it was done by an IRA terrorist for the same reasons why reports on Extreme Right Wing terrorism isn't getting traction in favour of Islamic terrorism. The media needs it's boogeyman to scare it's readers and these days their boogeyman of choice are muslims."

I LIVED through that terrible period, and I can assure you, that NO MEDIA "went in hard on trying to demonise Irish people".

The blame for that catalogue of atrocities was laid firmly at the door of those culpable by both the British press AND the great British Public: the Terrorist Organisations responsible, mainly The IRA, because - just as with Islamic Terrorists now - THEY were the most prolific perpetrators.

Both the British Press AND the British Public had nothing but the greatest SYMPATHY for the 'Irish' people - unless my memory fails me - and just as NO ONE now who is reasonably sane and of average intelligence BLAMES all Muslims for Islamic Extremist terrorism, NO ONE then blamed the Irish people for the callous acts of the IRA.

"All terrorism should be reported the same way, all terrorism is bad. It's irresponsible and rather disgusting for large parts of the media to ignore Extreme Right Wing terrorism or downplay it like they have because it doesn't suit their narrative."[

I agree.

/QUOTE]

Last edited by kirklancaster; 29-03-2018 at 03:49 AM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 03:56 AM #79
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

[QUOTE=kirklancaster;9934577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
"Media is pretty much my area of expertise, you aren't going to get far by trying to explain it to me."

Nor, I'm afraid, will you get very far with me in claiming that ' Media is pretty much' your 'area of expertise' when the statements with which you follow up your claim are nothing more than 'PERSONAL OPINION' which is NOT supported by the FACTS of the matter under discussion.

"The newspapers tailor their spin to their target audience, that's pretty much a fact which is why things like Right Wing terrorism won't get reported on as much as Islamic terrorism because Britain as a whole is very Right Wing at the moment, most of the target audiences that these papers aim for don't want to hear about white terrorists that aren't killing for their own twisted take on Islam which is why this isn't a bigger story."

Right-Wing terrorism does NOT get reported as much as Islamic Terrorism by the media simply because acts of Right-Wing Terrorism are SIGNIFICANTLY less in number than acts of Islamic Terrorism - especially within the UK.

Even in the USA - where Far Right Extremist violence is far more prolific than it is here - Deaths due to Islamic Terrorist Acts outnumber deaths due to Far Right Extremist Terrorist Acts by a colossal 62 to 1 ratio - ONCE the 'manipulated' statistics of Left Wing Data Analysts are corrected.

"Thomas Muir was a terrorist, his murder of Jo Cox was politically motivated and was meant to inspire fear in the people who wished to remain."

The above is nothing more than YOUR Personal Opinion - an opinion which, again, is NOT validated by the facts of the matter.

Mair's horrific act WAS 'Politically Motivated' - carried out by him for his own twisted reasons because he DETESTED Jo Cox's politics but there is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE that Mair's motives included any intention to 'inspire fear in the people who wished to remain' - NONE whatsoever - and I challenge you to produce any to support your 'opinion'.

"If what Thomas Muir did does not qualify him as a terrorist then people must have a very incorrect view on what terrorism is. The newspapers and people that do not call him a terrorist can only be doing so because his face did not fit the current image of what terrorists look like."

There is a VAST difference between a murder being 'Politically Motivated' and being an 'Act of Terrorism', and as I already stated in my earlier post, apart from his act being a 'TERRIBLE' act because it caused 'Terror' by its very perpetration, Mair was NOT a 'terrorist' within the accepted definitions of the word.

It is also irrefutable that in spite of Mair’s subscription to Neo-Nazi, Far Right, and White Supremacist literature, he was NOT actually a MEMBER of any of these organisations.

It's the same in the US, can you remember that teenager that shot up a gospel church in response to the Black Lives Matter movement? That was terrorism but I don't think many elements of the media called it out as such because the shooter wasn't a muslim."

I'm sorry, but throughout your post, Dezzy, you are guilty of committing the same 'crime' of that which you accuse certain Media of; and that is, putting a 'spin' on the facts due to 'Personal Bias'.

SOME 'Personal Bias' may find its way into certain reporting by certain of the media, but any reluctance to call any murderer - mass or otherwise - 'a terrorist' on the part of the media in general, here or in the USA, has, I feel, more to do with the actual FACTS of the case than it has the 'Colour', Creed' or 'Nationality' or 'Culture' of the perpetrator.

"This isn't something new, look back at the UK in the 70/80's, the image of a terrorist in those days were the IRA and the media went in hard on trying to demonise Irish people. Any terrorist attacks not related to the IRA probably would not have got much traction as it would have if it was done by an IRA terrorist for the same reasons why reports on Extreme Right Wing terrorism isn't getting traction in favour of Islamic terrorism. The media needs it's boogeyman to scare it's readers and these days their boogeyman of choice are muslims."

I LIVED through that terrible period, and I can assure you, that NO MEDIA "went in hard on trying to demonise Irish people".

The blame for that catalogue of atrocities was laid firmly at the door of those culpable by both the British press AND the great British Public: the Terrorist Organisations responsible, mainly The IRA, because - just as with Islamic Terrorists now - THEY were the most prolific perpetrators.

Both the British Press AND the British Public had nothing but the greatest SYMPATHY for the 'Irish' people - unless my memory fails me - and just as NO ONE now who is reasonably sane and of average intelligence BLAMES all Muslims for Islamic Extremist terrorism, NO ONE then blamed the Irish people for the callous acts of the IRA.

"All terrorism should be reported the same way, all terrorism is bad. It's irresponsible and rather disgusting for large parts of the media to ignore Extreme Right Wing terrorism or downplay it like they have because it doesn't suit their narrative."[

I agree.

/QUOTE]
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 03:58 AM #80
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
the guardian link?

oh dear
I LoL'ed. I do sometimes read the Guardian though... different sources

Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 04:14 AM #81
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Do you have a degree in media studies or something?
That would be a no then!
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 06:58 AM #82
You know my methods

You know my methods

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 05:42 AM #83
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

The 22-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons

alleged

/thread

An alleged neo-Nazi has appeared in court charged with plotting to murder a Labour MP with a machete.

It's the motive that's alleged, he's been charged with the offence.
Old 30-03-2018, 05:45 AM #84
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
the guardian link?

oh dear

And what would you call legitimate?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
extreme, terrorism, wing