Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:40 PM #1

Default Father Ted's 'real final episode' is on the way - in stage musical form

Quote:
https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejou...n2018/%3famp=1

TWENTY YEARS AFTER the cult sitcom’s final episode, Father Ted is set to make a return – but to the stage, not our TV screens.

Co-writer of Ted Graham Linehan made the announcement via his Twitter account this morning.

“It’s very exciting,” he said.

"Pope Ted – The Father Ted Musical, written by Arthur Mathews and myself, music by Neil Hannon (The Divine Comedy), is almost written. I just thought you’d like to know."

“THIS IS NOT A DRILL!” he added.

Father Ted, a British production though filmed almost exclusively using an Irish cast and writers, came to a close in 1998 at the close of its third series.

It had always been planned to sign off after the final series – however the sudden death of Dermot Morgan in February of that year, almost immediately after finishing filming, drew a line under the production in many ways.

Linehan said the stage musical would represent “the real final episode of Father Ted”.

He told the BBC that the stage musical would represent “the real final episode of Father Ted”.

He told the BBC that the musical will see Ted taking over as pontiff in the Vatican, and that the musical was about “the least qualified man in the world becoming Pope.

“I didn’t want to do anything like this until the right idea came along, and when Trump won and Corbyn won (became UK Labour leader) I kind of thought ‘maybe Ted has a chance’,” he said.

"I thought it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch. Obviously we’re pulling some shenanigans to get him into that position but I think the shenanigans are entertaining enough that people won’t mind."

As to who’ll play Ted, only time will tell.
There's been a mixed response to this cause some people think it's exciting to see the show back while others think it should've went to rest. Personally, I think it's a great last tribute to the show and as long as the original creator is behind it it might still be enjoyable. Thoughts from other FT fans here?
Epic. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:58 PM #2
-

-

Well it's not really Father Ted, is it, but as it's a stage show it's not exactly going to be rammed down anyone's throat so I guess if people want to see it they will . Doesn't do anyone any harm.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:24 PM #3

Here 4 it!
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
episode, father, final, form, musical, real, stage, ted