Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:24 PM #1
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Default Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano erupts, mandatory evacuations ordered for 1000+ people

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/...00-people.html

Quote:
Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano erupts, mandatory evacuations ordered for more than 1,000 people

Red molten lava continued to spurt into the sky Friday morning hours after Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano erupted, forcing officials to issue widespread evacuation orders to more than 1,500 residents.

Aerial drone footage showed a line of lava snaking its way through forest land and bubbling up on paved streets near the town of Pahoa on the Big Island. Elsewhere, lava spurted into the sky from cracks in the road.

The activity continued early Friday with the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirming reports of eruptions from volcanic vents on at least two streets.

All residents in the area were ordered to evacuate immediately.

Jeremiah Osuna, who captured the drone footage, described the scene as a “curtain of fire” roaring through the landscape.

“It sounded like if you were to put a bunch of rocks into a dryer and turn it on as high as you could,” he told Honolulu’s KHON-TV. “You could just smell sulfur and burning trees and underbrush and stuff.”

There were no immediate reports of injuries, however more than 100 people were staying in shelters.

Gov. David Ige activated the National Guard to help with evacuations and provide security for about 770 structures left empty by residents fleeing the area.

One homeowner in the Leilani Estates subdivision, which is near the town of Pahoa on the eastern side of the Big Island, said he knew when he bought a house near a volcano that this day might eventually come.

“But I had no idea the reality of [it],” he told Hawaii News Now. “It’s sinking in now, for sure.”

He added: “My family and my pets are safe. That’s what I really care about. I mean, the rest is just stuff. We can make more money and get more stuff. My family is safe. That’s the main thing.”

Fire officials warned that they’ve detected extremely high levels of sulfur in the area and reiterated that people should leave until the threat has passed.

“The best thing they can do right now is stay out of the area. It’s not a stable situation at all,” Talmadge Magno of Big Island’s Civil Defense told the Hawaii News Now. “This is not over, it could escalate at any time. We don’t know how this is going to go.”

Officials said the eruption sent lava soaring as high as 125 feet into the air and stressed that new lava outbreaks remain a high possibility. They said they cannot predict how long the eruption could last.

Asta Miklius, a geophysicist with the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, told the Associated Press the volcano has “quite a bit of magma in the system.”

"It won’t be just an hours-long eruption probably, but how long it will last will depend on whether the summit magma reservoir gets involved," Miklius said. "And so we are watching that very, very closely."

Henry Calio said the first sign that something might be wrong happened when cracks emerged in the driveway of his home in Leilani Estates. His wife, Stella, then received a call from an official who told them to get out immediately.

The two feared that they might lose their house.

"This is our retirement dream," Henry Calio said.

Kilauea has erupted periodically for decades. Most of its activity has been nonexplosive, but a 1924 eruption spewed ash and 10-ton (9-metric ton) rocks into the sky, leaving one man dead.

Puu Oo's 1983 eruption resulted in lava fountains soaring over 1,500 feet (457 meters) high. In the decades since, the lava flow has buried dozens of square miles of land and destroyed many homes.
I think I prefer floods and hurricanes to volcanoes, though volcanoes are pretty cool...
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:25 PM #2
haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

how scary

Spoiler:

montblanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:38 AM #3

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Favourites (more):

I would’ve gotten a panic attack

Last edited by Eddie.; 05-05-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:40 AM #4
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by montblanc View Post
how scary
Not something you see everyday. I remember in Geology, our professor told us that most of the US is sitting over a lava plume... and could blow at any time

Scientists Undecided Whether Yellowstone Supervolcano 'Will Destroy Mankind'
https://sputniknews.com/us/201712041...ruption-fears/

I don't know. I find it humbling. Nature, our quiet ruler.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:46 AM #5

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Not something you see everyday. I remember in Geology, our professor told us that most of the US is sitting over a lava plume... and could blow at any time

Yeah I’ve heard about the first part. I hope it doesn’t happen to you guys...
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:48 AM #6

^^ Isn't there a MASSIVE volcano/something along those lines under one of the US National Parks? Yellowstone maybe? I think I remember being taught something about that in Geography (many moons ago!)

Scary though eh? Hope everyone gets away from it fine.
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 AM #7
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnii View Post
^^ Isn't there a MASSIVE volcano/something along those lines under one of the US National Parks? Yellowstone maybe? I think I remember being taught something about that in Geography (many moons ago!)

Scary though eh? Hope everyone gets away from it fine.
Yes that's the Yellowstone supervolcano... it doesn't blow very often, but when it does...
Old 05-05-2018, 12:52 AM #8
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Oh man...

6.9-magnitude earthquake hits Hawaii’s Big Island, USGS says, following a recent volcanic eruption
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/04...test+-+Text%29

Old 05-05-2018, 12:52 AM #9

Oh my God. PRAYING everything goes to plan evacuation-wise and nobody gets hurt.
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:22 AM #10
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:

Not most of the us, just the Yellowstone region. But the effects of such eruption would affect all of the continent and rest of the world for decades.
On the plus side it erupts every 600-700 mln years and the last one was app 600 mln years ago, but some think the plume is weakening. The magma chamber is there all right and usgs monitoring reports on it 24/7.
There was a great BBC series a few years ago about a Yellowstone blowing up, recommended.
Plume volcanoes are called supervolcanoes, their sizes are enormous. They're dotted around the world. The most worrying atm is the one in Italy, campi flaegrei.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:57 AM #11
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Not most of the us, just the Yellowstone region. But the effects of such eruption would affect all of the continent and rest of the world for decades.
On the plus side it erupts every 600-700 mln years and the last one was app 600 mln years ago, but some think the plume is weakening. The magma chamber is there all right and usgs monitoring reports on it 24/7.
There was a great BBC series a few years ago about a Yellowstone blowing up, recommended.
Plume volcanoes are called supervolcanoes, their sizes are enormous. They're dotted around the world. The most worrying atm is the one in Italy, campi flaegrei.
She was counting the area of effect of the plume rather than just the actual size, since the immediate fall out zone would be rather large and big enough to effect most of the US directly. There were some other details that I can't recall directly... She compared the after effects would be similar (but worse) to Krakatoa (I think it was), seeing that the ash blocked sunlight for the rest of the world, causing mass famine, extinctions, etc...

I'd read articles where scientists had stepped back claims of the effects of it being world-ending, i.e. killing us all (but it's certainly possible). Personally, I don't go about life worrying about any of it. Any number of things could take our lives at any time and super-volcanoes are the least of our problems... statistically speaking. Who knows, by time that even comes, we may even have technology to prevent it/limit it's area of effect...

Krakatoa – No plant growth for 2 years
https://www.iceagenow.info/krakatoa-...rowth-2-years/

Last edited by Maru; 05-05-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:33 AM #12
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
She was counting the area of effect of the plume rather than just the actual size, since the immediate fall out zone would be rather large and big enough to effect most of the US directly. There were some other details that I can't recall directly... She compared the after effects would be similar (but worse) to Krakatoa (I think it was), seeing that the ash blocked sunlight for the rest of the world, causing mass famine, extinctions, etc...

I'd read articles where scientists had stepped back claims of the effects of it being world-ending, i.e. killing us all (but it's certainly possible). Personally, I don't go about life worrying about any of it. Any number of things could take our lives at any time and super-volcanoes are the least of our problems... statistically speaking. Who knows, by time that even comes, we may even have technology to prevent it/limit it's area of effect...

Krakatoa – No plant growth for 2 years
https://www.iceagenow.info/krakatoa-...rowth-2-years/
Statistically speaking, sure. As you say, we can't go worrying about that every day. Besides it is only one of many global catastrophic risks.

Going by the past eruptions volcanoes can cause damage to varying degrees.
The global impact of Krakatoa or Tambora was relatively limited (pretty sunsets after Tambora were painted by Turner), some cooling and crop failures. Other eruptions were more serious. There is some evidence that an eruption caused a mini ice age in medieval Europe with widespread famine etc; or even more serious when super eruption might have almost wiped out early humans 74000 years ago (genetic bottleneck).
As to comparison between Krakatoa (Krakatau) and Yellowstone, here's a diagram from USGS. As you can see, Yellowstone would be 10 to 100 times bigger. Our civilization would be set back in a significant way.

Amounts of ash deposited

Last edited by Twosugars; 05-05-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:52 PM #13
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Statistically speaking, sure. As you say, we can't go worrying about that every day. Besides it is only one of many global catastrophic risks.

Going by the past eruptions volcanoes can cause damage to varying degrees.
The global impact of Krakatoa or Tambora was relatively limited (pretty sunsets after Tambora were painted by Turner), some cooling and crop failures. Other eruptions were more serious. There is some evidence that an eruption caused a mini ice age in medieval Europe with widespread famine etc; or even more serious when super eruption might have almost wiped out early humans 74000 years ago (genetic bottleneck).
As to comparison between Krakatoa (Krakatau) and Yellowstone, here's a diagram from USGS. As you can see, Yellowstone would be 10 to 100 times bigger. Our civilization would be set back in a significant way.

Amounts of ash deposited
Wonderful graphic

Like you say, there's a lot of natural events that could occur world-wide that could cause us problems at any time. That's why I think it's important to have some kind of plan at home, where people will go, who they will call, places to check-in, meet up, etc... sure, nothing may be happening in the news that is especially worrying, but that doesn't mean that emergencies don't happen or things can't change suddenly.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:05 PM #14
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

This was yesterday in The Atlantic... hopefully just fear-mongering. A horrible ordeal for those people. Crazy photo... looks like an angry candy cloud.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...ervous/559685/

Quote:
Why Hawaii's Newest Eruption Makes Volcanologists Nervous

An ordinary American neighborhood has been evacuated ... because of a volcano.

On Thursday evening, Hawaii County ordered roughly 1,500 people near Pahoa, Hawaii, to leave their homes. The cause: A new lava fissure opened on Kilauea, a massive volcano in the southeast of the state’s Big Island. Lava from the fissure has come within several hundred yards of homes, threatening two subdivisions in the area. The fissure is also releasing toxic amounts of sulfur dioxide, according to Hawaii News Now.

A ponderous lava flow, moving through trees: It’s not exactly the sudden explosion that many Americans imagine when they hear the words volcanic eruption. But for exactly that reason, “it’s the kind of eruption that makes volcanologists nervous,” says Erik Klemetti, a volcanologist at Denison University.

Right now, the U.S. Geological Survey is still trying to understand the new fissure. If the lava flow stabilizes, residents could return to unharmed homes in a week or two. But if the new fissure follows a pattern set by other fissures on Kilauea, then the evacuation could “last for a prolonged period of time,” says Klemetti.

And “because it tends to fall out of public view, it can have a long-term impact on the communities,” he says. It’s happened several times before.

Kilauea is “unlike a lot of volcanoes because it’s a shield volcano”—meaning it has long, sloping sides—“and because it’s huge,” Klemetti says. “The scale of it is hard to comprehend until you’re on the volcano and you realize you can drive 20 miles and still be on the volcano.”

Kilauea has also “been pretty much in eruption for the last 35 years,” he adds. There are long-simmering lava lakes within its crater, and every so often new flows appear within Volcanoes National Park. But the new fissure has appeared much farther down the face of the volcano, in an area where there hasn’t been an eruption since the 1950s. In that time, trees and wildlife in the area have largely recovered. And developers have constructed at least two subdivisions nearby, called Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens. Authorities ordered residents to evacuate both of them on Thursday.

Even if the eruptions of the last century were destructive, they haven’t been sudden or violent. Mika McKinnon, a geophysicist and disaster researcher, says that Kilauea does not suddenly explode like Mount St. Helens did in 1980. This has to do with where and why the volcanoes formed on the Earth—and also with the chemistry of the Earth’s tectonic plates, those great, drifting chunks of rock that form the surface of the world.

There are two types of tectonic plates: oceanic and continental. Oceanic plates are denser than continental plates, and don’t contain very many granitelike rocks, such as quartz or silica. When an oceanic plate melts—which is what’s happening now at Kilauea—it tends to form lava that is very runny. This type of lava can get very hot, but it’s so liquid-like that any gas just bubbles out of it. “It creates more gentle eruptions and these beautiful, dome-shaped volcanoes,” says McKinnon.

Continental plates, on the other hand, are rich in silica. When a continental plate melts—which is what fuels the Pacific Ring of Fire’s volcanoes—it creates lava that is stickier and even slower moving. So gas, instead of escaping into the atmosphere, gets trapped inside this kind of lava. And when it escapes, “it’s going to be a much more violent or explosive eruption,” says McKinnon.

The main concern for the just-evacuated residents of Leilani Estates, in other words, are slow flows of runny, superhot lava. “Hawaiian volcanoes can be extremely deadly, but it’s a hazard you can walk away from,” McKinnon says. “That’s how you get these really close-up drone videos of them, or photos that show people in neighborhoods with lava in the background. Those people will still be able to escape.”

Since a week of small earthquake swarms preceded the new fissure, many residents had time to pack their cars with major possessions and valuables, McKinnon says.

But houses can’t be hauled away. Two months ago, Klemetti’s research brought him to the same area as the new lava fissure. He has driven through Leilani Estates. “It’s just these houses dispersed through the trees. It’s a standard neighborhood,” he says. “These are not big, fancy, expensive houses, just the houses of average Hawaiians on the whole.”

“There’s this perception that Hawaii is all luxury, but this part of Hawaii tends to be people who are of average means or below-average means,” he adds.

Which is why he is so nervous. In the past few decades, at least two subdivisions have been destroyed by Kilauea’s lava flows. One of them, Royal Gardens, had to be completely abandoned. Some residents of Kalapana Gardens, another development, eventually rebuilt their houses on the black, fissured aftermath of a lava flow after an eruption in 2011.

These eruptions can have “a dramatic effect on people’s lives,” Klemetti says. “If you get displaced by a lava flow, you may get displaced permanently.”

For now, it’s too early to know what the new lava fissure will mean for Leilani Estates. “It might be at least months of lava flows. Or it might just end now,” Klemetti says. “There’s a likelihood that this is the establishment of a new lava-flow field and that it might be in action for a while.”

“There’s not a lot of words to capture a gradual, slow-developing disaster like this,” he tells me. “Even disaster doesn’t seem like the right word, because it implies something instantaneous or rapidly developing—and this isn’t. But it will still be quite a disaster for people whose homes are taken out.”
I'm surprised the insurance industry/FEMA isn't having any major issues yet with all the disasters the US has had as of late. Our area has flooded 3/yrs in a row. I know people who have had to rebuild 2-3 times... In the US we've had mudslides, forest fires, floods, multiple hurricanes, Puerto Rico's electrical grid needing to be rebuilt from scratch, etc... just off the top of my head.

Last edited by Maru; 05-05-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:43 PM #15
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Looks like Kilauea is shifting its magma southeast, which is in line with the general drift of the underlying plume

http://www.geo.cornell.edu/hawaii/22...T_hotspot.html
Quote:
Often the hot spot creates a chain of volcanoes, as a plate moves across a relatively stationary mantle plume. The best example of a hot spot volcanic chain is the Hawaiian Islands. From the volcanic track left by the moving plate we can tell the direction of motion of the plate (to the NW) and the rate at which it moves (8.6 cm/year).
Currently the hot spot lies beneath the Big Island of Hawai'i, but as the plate slowly moves, a new island will be created. Indeed, it is in the process of being created now. The submarine volcano, Lo'ihi, lies 18 miles off the southeast coast of Hawai'i.

The plate is moving NW and since the plume (hot spot) is stationary it drifts SE. These things don't work like clockwork and are unpredictable, but SE of the island is the most vulnerable when it comes to new vents and lava.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:38 PM #16
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Looks like Kilauea is shifting its magma southeast, which is in line with the general drift of the underlying plume

http://www.geo.cornell.edu/hawaii/22...T_hotspot.html

The plate is moving NW and since the plume (hot spot) is stationary it drifts SE. These things don't work like clockwork and are unpredictable, but SE of the island is the most vulnerable when it comes to new vents and lava.
I remember this from Geology. So fascinating... lava plumes and the development of volcanoes in general. Plate tectonics are are also fascinating. I went spelunking after I took the course, in Pennsylvania (near Penn State) where there is a fault line and deep chasms. I'm not really into commercialized junk when I go on vacations... I like to go out in the middle of no where, out to a desert or visit the hill country. Utah and New Mexico are our the list for a painting trip at some point... sometime after I finally get a DSLR.

It sounds like some of these folk knew what they were getting into when they built so close to the volcano. Still, I don't think it makes it any less painful to watch your home get stripped out from underneath you... In our case, the bayous are expanding (from erosion) from the dwindling wetlands (yay suburban sprawl) and with each major storm. There's a shopping strip not far from where I live getting closer and closer to the edge of a major bayou where I live... between this and climate change, we are living in interesting times. We have to make the necessary adjustments individually, I think, to accommodate for this.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:15 PM #17
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

The holy trinity of the American sites: Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Hawaii are at the top of my list of dream holiday destinations.
But I'm talking looooong holidays. At least month at GC, and two weeks at Y and H.
I wouldn't say no to St. Helen's either.

I caught on CNN that most of those people don't have insurance coz the premiums in that part of the island are astronomical. I guess we know why.
Old 13-05-2018, 06:44 PM #18
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

17th fissure opened up recently...

Old 13-05-2018, 07:05 PM #19
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Someone's offering to the Goddess Pele no doubt...

Old 13-05-2018, 07:16 PM #20

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

[QUOTE=Maru;9981174]Not something you see everyday. I remember in Geology, our professor told us that most of the US is sitting over a lava plume... and could blow at any time.

My head works different to most obviously.....cause i see that as him trying to groom ya'll
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 07:31 PM #21
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

[QUOTE=parmnion;9993878]
Quote:
Not something you see everyday. I remember in Geology, our professor told us that most of the US is sitting over a lava plume... and could blow at any time.

My head works different to most obviously.....cause i see that as him trying to groom ya'll
Our professor was quite the funny woman.
Old 13-05-2018, 07:38 PM #22

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

[QUOTE=Maru;9993887]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post

Our professor was quite the funny woman.
Thanks..my head is cleared.

I do apologise for my sexist ignorance
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 07:42 PM #23
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Yep still a major eruption...

22-23 fissures... and they had a geothermal plant that now has wells that had to be covered to prevent interaction with explosive gases... anyway, one of the wells is covered in lava...

What's amazing is that a lot of people affected don't really seem as upset as you'd expect. Yes, unhappy, but they do seem to respect that nature does as it pleases and doesn't exactly ask for permission... and yes, respect for the volcano Goddess Pele has some to do with it, but because it's been erupting since the 80's, it's not much of a surprise...

I don't have time to grab video or posts, but look it up... the imagery is truly amazing. Let's just hope it doesn't lead to something like Fukushima with the geothermal plant...
Old 09-06-2018, 08:57 PM #24
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Filled in a bay, a lake(?) and several ponds... and increasing the size of Hawaii everyday... it's gotten much worse since it started with explosions/earthquakes... sad for the folk that live there who are losing their homes, but it's to be expected I guess... thankfully no deaths, just one injury I think...

Quote:
Hawaii Kilauea Volcano Update: Explosion, USGS Lava Flow Map

Hawaii's Kilauea volcano erupted more than a month ago and liquid rock has been spewing from it and its fissures ever since. Lava flows have destroyed an entire neighborhood, traveling so far that it has reached the ocean and the mayor’s house on the island.

A message from the Civil Defense Agency Thursday said fissure 8 was still very active and flowing. The lava was flowing into Kapoho Bay and the message said the bay was filled with lava Thursday.

The delta of lava that the flows formed was 1.5 miles wide as of Thursday evening and was expanding from the isolated Vacationland area in the direction of Kapoho Beach Lot

Since the volcano first erupted, more than 113.5 million cubic meters of lava have spread across the island, with some making it into the ocean. It’s enough lava to cover the island of Manhattan in 6.5 feet deep of lava, according to the United States Geological Survey.

When hot lava enters the cool Pacific Ocean it creates a by-product called laze. Policies were in effect prompted by the increase in laze that was forming as lava flowed into the ocean from the constant volcanic activity. That laze is a hazy plume of hydrochloric acid, glass and steam that is released into the air following the combination of lava and the ocean water. Laze can cause eye and skin irritation in addition to lung damage, and plumes can move easily with the wind.

Thursday and Friday’s active flows prompted officials to issue evacuation orders for Leilani Estates, Pomaikai Street and other neighborhoods in the area. Residents with credentials were allowed in some areas to inspect their property.

Early Friday morning in Hawaii there was an explosion near the summit of Kilauea with a plume likely reaching less than 10,000 feet in the air, the USGS tweeted.

Gas emissions from the lava and volcano were still high and a danger for those in the area and downwind from the lava flows. The sulfur dioxide coming from the volcano can also cause respiratory issues, especially for those who already have trouble breathing like people with asthma. The gases released from the eruption also have the potential to cause acid rain to fall on the island.

A map from the USGS, last updated on Wednesday, shows where the lava had recently expanded. As maps are updated, they will be posted to the USGS website.

This map shows the flows in Hawaii as of mid-day Wednesday. USGS ​​
Old 09-06-2018, 09:03 PM #25
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

!! !!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
1000, erupts, evacuations, hawaii’s, kilauea, mandatory, ordered, people, volcano