Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 16-07-2018, 01:01 PM #1
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Default Your top 5 favourite Final Fantasy Games?

Again they can be from the main series or spin-off Games.

My top 5:
1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Final Fantasy VIII
4. Final Fantasy XIII
5. Final Fantasy XV

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 02:33 PM #2
ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Zak
BBCanada 9: Victoria

ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):

1. FF9 - Excellent story, design, music, characters, I might get the logo tattooed on my face.
2. FF10 - It may be linear but it does a great job of embracing you into the world of Spira and it's lore. It has a great story, great diversity of characters and the combat is simple, but addictive.
3. FF6 - The range of characters and unpredictable storyline make this top tier. It deserves a remake over FF7 tbh.
4. FF12 - I'm doing a replay now after spending years disliking it and it's aged incredibly well. The storyline is kinda meh and the dialogue flounders in long words that barely make sense but the open world exploring while battling makes it a really unique and fun entry.
5. FF Dimensions - If you've never played this and you're a huge fan of the job system from FF5 I URGE you to play this one. The storyline is hilariously weak and cliche but the expansive job system kept me entertained from start to end.
6. FF4 - It's solid but not a standout. In the same way as FF9 I like the way it puts you with combinations of characters that you have the figure out the best strategies with rather than the same group with little different except their stats.
7. FFX-2 - I actually haven't finished it oops but I think it's actually very fun! The dresspheres is a cute concept and the ability to go wherever the **** you want on an airship and do entertaining sidequests is a big plus.
8. FF7 - I think the story is great, don't get me wrong, but the combat is basic and the Materia system is honestly sooo bland. It makes the characters differences indiscernible and wanting to rush through any combat situation rather than have fun with it.
9. FF5 - On the other side of the coin, I love the combat and job system, but the story is sf boring that I lose interest halfway and remember that Dimensions job system is much more superior.
10. FF15 - It's just not really Final Fantasy to me. It's fun and I'm glad they learnt from the linearity of FF13 to allow us to explore but the combat essentially felt like mashing buttons and I found it hard to care about the characters or storyline.
11. FF13 - I looooove the combat system but I hate the linearity and how it affected the storyline which had a very promising concept IMO.
12. FF1 - Fun, but I get bored of it halfway usually.
13. FF8 - Similar to 7, the characters have very little differences in their combat styles, their personalities are too subtle and I honestly can barely remember the storyline.
14. FF3 - Too basic with too much grinding
15. FF2 - To be fair I've never given it a fair shot due to the levelling system being different but yeah.

Sidenote: Has anyone played Type-0? Is it any good?
LemonJam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 02:56 PM #3
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

FFX - The journey of the characters was perfectly done
FFXIV - Slightly different from the rest as this one is ongoing, but it boasts one of the best FF stories so far
FFIX - Quina <3 Vivi <3 Dagger <3 Zidane <3 Steiner <3 Beatrix <3 Eiko <3 Red Hair Guy <3
World of Final Fantasy - It was such a charming little game, with a pretty decent story
FFXV - Though it had its faults, I still love the game
Old 17-07-2018, 07:15 AM #4
-

-

---

I don't have to give my reasons . Haven't played the others.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 08:58 AM #5
ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):

ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):

I think it's imperative that you give reason why 9 is bottom two tbh
LemonJam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 02:04 PM #6
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonJam View Post
I think it's imperative that you give reason why 9 is bottom two tbh
I found it frustrating for multiple reasons.

1) The battles had abysmal framerate and were painfully slow even in fastest speed - a LOT of watching the characters doing literally nothing - and I think Squeenix noticed too because it's something they fixed in FFX with conditional turn based rather than "meter-fill" active turn based. I feel like it's an issue that would have frustrated me in the SNES era games too, but I played those on emulator and made liberal use of the fast forward button. It had a lot of the classic problems that end-of-generation games have basically, i.e. Ambitiously pushing the hardware slightly too far and being worse off for it.

Same goes for battle transitions. From triggering a random battle to the battle actually starting, took ****ing centuries.

For me, those combined made a potentially good tactical battle system infuriating and just not fun. "Oh Nooo, a battle, yawn" is not a good sign.

2) Trance was literally pointless compared to earlier limit breaks due to auto activate. WHY. Worst design decision ever. "I feel like there's a boss round the corner but first I must fight this tiny fly. TRAAANCE PPSSHHWWW SUPERPOWER DIE FLY!"

3) Contrary to the above Quina-love... I can't stand Quina. We're talking JarJar levels of dislike here. Enough-to-ruin-the-story level of dislike. "ME EAT FWOG". No Quina just piss off plz.

4) The villain was OK but not amazing and motivations didn't quite match personality. He was no Kefka, put it that way.

5) I was a moody teenager. I liked my brooding Cloud and Squall and cheerful Zidane irritated me. I don't actually particularly rate any of the characters .

6) I played it right off the back of playing Xenogears, and Xenogears is in my personal top 5 gaming experiences of all time.

... There might be loads more, I just remember finding it a chore. I actually think I stopped playing after disc 2 (of 4) and didn't go back to it for over 6 months.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 03:42 PM #7
Banned

Banned

1. FFVI - It's just perfection really, the growth system was perfect as was the wide variety of characters and the story was daring, especially at the time.
2. FFX - It's not the best FF game but it's always one that's been close to my heart.
3. FFVIII - Severely underrated, Disc 4 being a massive point of no return is annoying and the Draw system has it's issues but again, it's always been one I loved.
4. FFIX - VIVI.
5. FFVII - Not much to say, it's great.
6. FFIV - This game began what VI perfected.
7. FFXV - This may be higher when I play through it again once they stop adding stuff to it. I enjoyed it despite the weak story and I think it did a lot of things right.
8. FFV - It's a very solid game, not too memorable but solid.
9. FFXIII - It had it's issues but I liked it, I think it's the best of the XIII Trilogy over all.
10. FFX-2 - Horrible story, excellent gameplay.
11. XIII-2/Lightning Returns - XIII-2 had the best overall gameplay of the XIII trilogy but it's story was terrible while Lightning Return had one of the best battle systems of ANY FF game and I liked how daring the game format was but there wasn't enough to the game sadly. They are both guilty pleasures.
12. FF - The original, not bad but kind of boring by today's standards.
13. II - Experimental and interesting because of it but it was ultimately a failure.
14. XII - I hated this game, the story is boring, the game basically plays itself and it's just really overrated.
15. III - Bland, very grindy and just overall terrible.

I haven't counted the MMOs and when it came to spinoffs I kept it to direct sequels.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
fantasy, favourite, final, games, top