Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB22 Celebrity Big Brother Summer 2018 [CBB 22], won by Ryan Thomas, and housemates here.

-----

Old 21-08-2018, 10:12 AM #26

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.kay View Post
How can you say it wasn't in an insulting way, it was very derogatory and offensive. I don't know why people are seriously pushing this "oh he said he likes ****ers" angle because its just not the tea.
There’s a difference between the way Rodrigo used that word and someone saying it to a black person. Blurring the lines won’t help anyone. I agree it’s awful in general, but there is a difference.

Last edited by Elliot; 21-08-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Elliot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 10:14 AM #27
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley. View Post
I never said it wasn't offensive. But he wasn't using the word as an insult. He wasn't using it negatively, he wasn't using it with the intention of causing significant harm. Had it been that way then sure, I'd be calling for his ejection.
...I think though for me, Ashley...it was up to BB in their responsibility to show him what significant harm it would cause...which is why, no matter what context it was used and whatever intention...he should have been ejected...(..and I do quite like him as a person in many ways..)...

...I think it’s disappointing that there were so few complaints tbh...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 10:23 AM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...I think though for me, Ashley...it was up to BB in their responsibility to show him what significant harm it would cause...which is why, no matter what context it was used and whatever intention...he should have been ejected...(..and I do quite like him as a person in many ways..)...

...I think it’s disappointing that there were so few complaints tbh...
Yeah, I can see why people would have liked him to be ejected. In this case I just believe that a final warning was enough to make him more aware of what he's saying, whilst still allowing him to continue on provided he doesn't slip up again. I'm not defending his use of the word, I never have and never will say it... and I'm glad he was warned for it. However, I believe that he should be given a chance to reflect and take into account how it may have been offensive.

Last edited by Ashley.; 21-08-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Ashley. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 10:30 AM #29
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Yeah, I can see why people would have liked him to be ejected. In this case I just believe that a final warning was enough to make him more aware of what he's saying, whilst still allowing him to continue on provided he doesn't slip up again. I'm not defending his use of the word, I never have and never will say it... and I'm glad he was warned for it. However, I believe that he should be given a chance to reflect and take into account how it may have been offensive.
...yeah hopefully he is reflecting on it, I didn’t actually see the warning, Ashley...but hopefully he’s realised how offensive that word is and doesn’t use it again...he seems like a decent guy generally..(..other than that..)...but I did wonder if he also wasn’t ejected but just given a warning because of the suitcase lost task thing....which was obviously geared up for him..?..but I might be wrong about that and too suspicious of BB because they might have had appropriately embarrassing lost suitcase changes for all housemates...
Old 21-08-2018, 10:33 AM #30
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I still think though..(..personally..)..it wasn’t so much about him ‘learning’ anything in using that term...?...but more than it was a responsibility from BB to give a ‘maximum punishment’ of ejection ...rather than just a warning, which doesn’t really relay the seriousness of offence of it all in referring to anyone in that way...
Old 21-08-2018, 10:39 AM #31

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I still think though..(..personally..)..it wasn’t so much about him ‘learning’ anything in using that term...?...but more than it was a responsibility from BB to give a ‘maximum punishment’ of ejection ...rather than just a warning, which doesn’t really relay the seriousness of offence of it all in referring to anyone in that way...
Isnt it about how offensive it is to the viewing public, which imo was extremely offensive and he should have been ejected...but they had just lost stormy so couldnt
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 11:29 AM #32

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

People complain about everything these days...
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 02:52 PM #33
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

This is now the second most read story on BBC news
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 03:55 PM #34
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I never said it wasn't offensive. But he wasn't using the word as an insult. He wasn't using it negatively, he wasn't using it with the intention of causing significant harm. Had it been that way then sure, I'd be calling for his ejection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
There’s a difference between the way Rodrigo used that word and someone saying it to a black person. Blurring the lines won’t help anyone. I agree it’s awful in general, but there is a difference.
The N word is a word used to degrade black people and reduce them to meer objects. I do believe that context and intent matters but the way that Rodrigo used it served that exact purpose. Even if he had just said "I like little black boys" in the condescending way that he did I would've raised an eyebrow just because that tone suggested to me that he doesn't see black men as his equals but rather as objects to fulfil his sexual desire, but to also throw in the N word to me that just confirms my theory. You can be sexually attracted to black people while also being racist just like how some straight men are incredibly misogynistic. If twitter(and this forum to a small extent) is anything to go by this whole Rodrigo situation has been met by a majority of black people being genuinely offended and hurt by his comments and a white majority disregarding their feelings and telling them to get over it.

Last edited by armand.kay; 21-08-2018 at 04:13 PM.
armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 03:58 PM #35
You know my methods

You know my methods

this was on Radio 2 News today
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 03:59 PM #36
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

I'm not even someone who thinks Rodrigo should've been ejected (although as time goes on and I see how he's basically got away with it I've started to second guess myself) I just understand viewers feelings towards what happened and I'm not going to slate people for complaining. At the end of the day thats what OFCOM is for.

Old 21-08-2018, 03:59 PM #37
Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Quote:
The N word is a word used to degrade black people and reduce them to meer objects. I do believe that context and intent matters but the way that Rodrigo used it served that exact purpose. Even if he had just said "I like little black boys" in the condescending way that he did I would've raised an eyebrow just because that tone suggested to me that he doesn't see black men as his equals but rather as objects to fulfil sexual desire. But to also throw in the N word to me that just confirms my theory. You can be sexually attracted to black people while also being racist just like how some straight men are incredibly misogynist. If twitter(and this forum to a small extent) is anything to go by this whole Rodrigo situation has been met by a majority of black people being genuinely offended and hurt by his comments and a white majority disregarding their feelings and telling them to get over it.
Old 21-08-2018, 04:00 PM #38
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
this was on Radio 2 News today
not a good look for BB if the only time it can make headlines is through racism

Old 21-08-2018, 04:03 PM #39

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The N word is a word used to degrade black people and reduce them to meer objects. I do believe that context and intent matters but the way that Rodrigo used it served that exact purpose. Even if he had just said "I like little black boys" in the condescending way that he did I would've raised an eyebrow just because that tone suggested to me that he doesn't see black men as his equals but rather as objects to fulfil sexual desire. But to also throw in the N word to me that just confirms my theory. You can be sexually attracted to black people while also being racist just like how some straight men are incredibly misogynist. If twitter(and this forum to a small extent) is anything to go by this whole Rodrigo situation has been met by a majority of black people being genuinely offended and hurt by his comments and a white majority disregarding their feelings and telling them to get over it.

For me it’s not about getting over it, it’s about drawing distinctions between actual like racist people and then the use of the same word on this series. A firm final warning was very just in my opinion. It has shown the use of the word is far from acceptable and if he continues to use it after he’s been told using it is imclredibly offensive, he’ll get ejected. I don’t know, something just doesn’t sit well with me with Rodrigo having his entire career ruined and to be conflated with like actual racist people for the sake of perpetuating tension around a word. A non negotiable final warning was a fair punishment, if there are black people who disagree, then cool. There is a discussion to be had.
Elliot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 04:12 PM #40
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
I'm not even someone who thinks Rodrigo should've been ejected (although as time goes on and I see how he's basically got away with it I've started to second guess myself) I just understand viewers feelings towards what happened and I'm not going to slate people for complaining. At the end of the day thats what OFCOM is for.
I agree it's completely offensive and unacceptable but idk what people think complaining to Ofcom will achieve. There were warnings at the start and throughout the episode of racial language so people knew what to expect.
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 04:22 PM #41
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
...strangely I’ve started to second guess myself whether a warning was fine actually and not the ejection that I felt was more appropriate up until today when I’ve been thinking more about it...I also would hate for him to have been ejected to ‘hate’ and such from the public and social media etc...and I think an ejection would have escalated that quite a lot possibly...especially in today’s climate, I just don’t think that would have been a good thing at all...are my thoughts right now...
Old 21-08-2018, 04:38 PM #42
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
For me it’s not about getting over it, it’s about drawing distinctions between actual like racist people and then the use of the same word on this series. A firm final warning was very just in my opinion. It has shown the use of the word is far from acceptable and if he continues to use it after he’s been told using it is imclredibly offensive, he’ll get ejected. I don’t know, something just doesn’t sit well with me with Rodrigo having his entire career ruined and to be conflated with like actual racist people for the sake of perpetuating tension around a word. A non negotiable final warning was a fair punishment, if there are black people who disagree, then cool. There is a discussion to be had.
Racism like most things in life isn't black and white (lol) there's grey areas and theres also different levels of racism. Nobody is saying that Rodrigo is a KKK level racist but his comment was racist and as someone who was a massive fan of him (haven't even left the fan club yet) I was taken aback. also people are free to disagree but the reaction to all the complaints in this thread is just a ****ing mess, because it seems like those who are offended are being told that they don't have say in this matter and they should just shut up because they were warned and at least he said he likes n***ers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg! View Post
I agree it's completely offensive and unacceptable but idk what people think complaining to Ofcom will achieve. There were warnings at the start and throughout the episode of racial language so people knew what to expect.
I don't think most of the complaints are to do with it being aired but more to do with people not being happy with how big brother handled it. In a lot of peoples eyes Rodrigo got away with it scot free because at the end of the day a formal warning doesn't mean much when he was able walk out the diary room and get on with his day like nothing happened. Imagine how frustrating it is for black viewers who were genuinely hurt and offended by what he said to see him dancing around the next day in a ****ing carnival outfit. What else are they supposed to but complain? Also the whole they were warned argument is just ****ing week to me for example if you were warned that a certain area is a bit racist and you get abused while in that area does that mean you should just take it?

Last edited by armand.kay; 21-08-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 21-08-2018, 05:02 PM #43

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

I’m usually the last person to jump on the race card bandwagon on here but Rodrigo to me definitely was racist and offensive.I wouldn’t complain to Ofcom but in the interests of consistency i think he should’ve been out on his arse.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 05:09 PM #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Isnt it about how offensive it is to the viewing public, which imo was extremely offensive and he should have been ejected...but they had just lost stormy so couldnt
C'on, we both know that aint true-i've seen enough cbb shows to know they seem to be very picky and choosey as to what they take action on and to what they let slide, im not surprised people get confused about it all.
Lstan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 05:13 PM #45
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I’m usually the last person to jump on the race card bandwagon on here but Rodrigo to me definitely was racist and offensive.I wouldn’t complain to Ofcom but in the interests of consistency i think he should’ve been out on his arse.
Shout it louder for the people in the back of the room please!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
1000, complaints, garnered, ofcom, show