Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 27-09-2018, 06:53 PM #26
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
i think she is telling the truth too Maru. I still think they will push him on to the supreme court though
Maybe. Maybe not?... I'm hoping at least they will pass to FBI for a look or subpoena the other guy who was there (Mark Whatshisface) ... I had read someone said it only took about 3 days for FBI to look at it... which seems really short, but I think it's possible depending on how "deep" a look it is... can't be very deep if it was 30+ years ago... but especially to vet these new claims, I think would be important to have testify under oath in order to get to the source of it... (testify to the FBI, not this nonsense)

Last edited by Maru; 27-09-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 07:08 PM #27
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Kavanaugh about to start testifying... my god he looks sleep-deprived... and mad

Last edited by Maru; 27-09-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 27-09-2018, 07:16 PM #28

yes he is Angry
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 07:17 PM #29
rk3388

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Rachel Johnson
CBBUSA: Metta World Peace
rk3388

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Rachel Johnson
CBBUSA: Metta World Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
i just heard her "performance" on the radio

disgusting comment.

CBBUS1: Metta/Omarosa/James/Ariadna
CBBUS2: Tom, Jonathan, Tamar, Lolo, Natalie
rk3388 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 07:18 PM #30
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Kavanaugh is coming across very aggressive and angry .... not the sweet little kid... who would never drink or treat a woman badly .......
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 08:29 PM #31
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Opening statements

Last edited by Maru; 27-09-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 27-09-2018, 09:01 PM #32
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Kavanaugh is coming across very aggressive and angry .... not the sweet little kid... who would never drink or treat a woman badly .......
He's come out with guns blazing and then some... but he keeps very precise records of things he did when he was younger from his father... that's pretty remarkable... I keep a daily planner (fail to keep regularly ) and a couple of journals... it's helped with things like doctor's records and recalling health history, for work... etc

But I died @ the whole "fffffff" entry&explanation...
Old 27-09-2018, 09:19 PM #33

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Obviously nobody knows the truth.Just from seeing them both i think I believe him tbh.But really who knows.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 09:24 PM #34
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Obviously nobody knows the truth.Just from seeing them both i think I believe him tbh.But really who knows.
It feels like a case of mistaken identity and it is really really sad...
Old 27-09-2018, 09:43 PM #35
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

i think he is flat out guilty
Old 27-09-2018, 11:17 PM #36
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Brett Kavanaugh and the tears of a bully
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...BGMenu_Article

So men aggressive, bad... but when he cries, he's bad too?...

Quote:
It was supposed to be he-said, she-said. Not she-said, he-cried.

But don’t be fooled: they were the tears of a bully. Brett Kavanaugh was as mad as a privileged white man can be at the prospect of losing a coveted seat on the US Supreme Court to a girl who wasn’t part of his Georgetown Prep social circle back in their high school days. How dare someone like that mess up the careful career plan he built upon fealty to Republican smear tactics?

Alternating between sobs and flashes of white-hot rage, Kavanaugh went before the Senate Judiciary Committee and poured every ounce of emotion he could summon into saving his nomination. He vehemently denied the allegation of sexual assault made by Christine Blasey Ford, along with other allegations of sexual misconduct that have surfaced over the past few days. He blamed the attacks on Democrats, generally, along with “pent-up anger” over the 2016 election, and “revenge on behalf of the Clintons” — presumably because of his role in the Ken Starr investigation of Bill Clinton. Calling the questions about his integrity a national disgrace, he told the committee, “You have replaced advise and consent with search and destroy.”

It was reminiscent of Clarence Thomas and his defiant charge of a “high-tech lynching” after Anita Hill said that Thomas sexually harassed her — plus major-league blubbering. Emotion flowed when Kavanaugh talked of his father’s calendars, which are the reason, he said, he kept his own and saved the one from 1982 that notes nothing about the gathering described by Ford. He also teared up at the thought of not being able to teach law or coach basketball again, because of allegations against him.

Earlier in the day, Ford’s testimony about an alleged sexual assault in the early 1980s by Kavanaugh was dignified, powerful, heart-wrenching, and totally credible.

It’s true Ford didn’t remember details of time and place, and she was honest about acknowledging those lapses. But she did remember, with chilling recall, the laughter, “the uproarious laughter” between Kavanaugh and his high-school buddy Mark Judge at the time of the attack. “I was underneath one of them while the two laughed. Two friends having a really good time with one another,” she said.

And she was absolutely certain of the identity of her attacker.

“With what degree of certainty do you believe Brett Kavanaugh assaulted you?” asked Senator Dick Durbin, Democrat of Illinois.

“One hundred percent,” Ford replied.

The professor from California nailed her appearance before the committee. The cloud her testimony casts on Kavanaugh’s character should be enough to end his nomination to the Supreme Court.

Republicans could easily find another conservative to undermine Roe v. Wade. If they stick with Kavanaugh, he will have cried his way onto the highest court of the land.

And they say women are too emotional?

Last edited by Maru; 27-09-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 27-09-2018, 11:24 PM #37
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

it was the way he avoided answering questions, and then when being asked questions by women, shouted them down. Is this really supreme court material?
Old 27-09-2018, 11:31 PM #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Opening statements

3:53 vs 44:39

Last edited by Marsh.; 27-09-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 11:40 PM #39
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
3:53 vs 44:39
First one is supposed to be full but didn't read timestamp... I hate YT -_-
Old 27-09-2018, 11:40 PM #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
First one is supposed to be full but didn't read timestamp... I hate YT -_-
Oh so it's just more edited than the other one?

Thought the difference was too staggering to be an accurate representation of their statements.

Last edited by Marsh.; 27-09-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 11:44 PM #41
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Oh so it's just more edited than the other one?

Thought the difference was too staggering to be an accurate representation of their statements.
Yeah, I just looked at the timestamps and most are around 20 minute mark or so?... which seems right as she focused on a prepared statement, which I pre-read... it wasn't that long. Kavanaughs seemed to go on much longer...

You know how it is with YT, they post up these unnecessarily short clips just so they can get impressions... -_- like how I search BBUK episodes, get a 40 minute video of powerpoint presentations...

I updated my post in the first video for full length.

His testimony was much much longer... but she didn't want to be there after a little while, said she was getting tired... I believe her, I was so tired watching her testify... it looked very emotionally draining...

Last edited by Maru; 28-09-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Old 28-09-2018, 12:04 AM #42
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
it was the way he avoided answering questions, and then when being asked questions by women, shouted them down. Is this really supreme court material?
Just for my part, how he spoke is no different than any other impassioned judge we have here. Jury duty and whatnot, there's a lot of things like this that get said off-the-record, including opinions on current events. I've seen judges on-record and off-record become quite impassioned... and that's how it came off to me. More impassioned about our system and the rule of law, than angry about his situation. I think the issue was more about how the media/democrats took it to another level and gamified these proceedings... also consider the gang-rape rumors and other related speculation that the opposition party didn't go out of their way to play down.. in fact, the opposite, they called him evil and encouraged a smear campaign despite lack of evidence...

I think criticism over his temperament when he was being flippant can be used against him in being approved, but with the way our Congress has been, but off and on-record, his behavior isn't necessarily extraordinary when considering the times we are living in atm. Fact-based conservatism hasn't seemed to work in terms of restoring civility and I think there's a backlash too in the background from Republicans in terms of thinking "Enough is enough"... they've done the nicer politics, even during times when they were the minority party, the olive branches, etc, and clearly that's not the times we're living in anymore...

I think I would've made a similar deduction, that in his position, I don't think it would've gone in my favor for me to have played a more sweeter character. I think though his testimony was angry and at times, quite irate... he didn't hide how he felt, which is something to consider too. If her feelings matter, his should as well, their impressions of this entire fiasco... if he is being wrongfully accused, then this is not only a traumatic situation for not only him, but for his family... so yeah, I think some room for vulnerability is allowable...men and women react very differently to high stress situations... I know me, I cry when I'm frustrated, but I'm to the point about my feelings when I think as I do, and I see no point in waffling in how we feel... if someone in that position is too nice, they're going to call them a liar anyway, with the state of our cultural&political discourse... so might as well put it all out on the table and go out with 0 regrets... he seemed to imply he was toast, but not sure how much I really believe that...

I do think November midterms will be a referendum on #Metoo. Not these proceedings as others have said. Amongst the other things that have gone on since the presidential election. I'm really concerned about this counter-culture that is becoming more accepting towards convicting people with just accusations and circumstantial evidence... this would never have been acceptable for women or minority folk, this atmosphere of suspicion that is being created. So it's a bit sad to see the media getting a pass on this when obviously this is not the direction most folk (imo) would want the country to go... I don't know how much DC reflects us, but from my personal experiences, not very much...... I think if I look up politics from now on, I will tend to just focus on the details and avoid opinion-based sources... both sides are doing a good job of creating opinion-based journalism that operates off feelings rather than an examination of details & comparing facts.. most of our news now is opinion-based journalism, not surprising with how many things in our life is being gamified (social media, infotainment, even education)... I wouldn't blame the media for this situation though... I think the lady rightfully came out of if this is her legitimate claim. Obviously, his testimony matters too with how the witnesses have not gone in her favor and in the fact he kept meticulous records of daily events & social gatherings... and int his case, it's not clear who is right or wrong... and thankfully, the outcome won't by opinion because who the hell wants that job?

Edit: I just recalled. The last time I was in a court was for jury selection... right after the election and our judge was retiring (as so many are walking away from politics)... but he had a group chat with us afterwards talking about the times we now find ourselves after the hearing... basically, he wouldn't be there for that so he could comment a little, but he seemed to look back on his years of service in the community and said everyday was a different/unique experience... never got old for him...

Last edited by Maru; 28-09-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 28-09-2018, 07:57 AM #43
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Checking reactions online from other Americans, they seem to raise similar sentiments to me. Perhaps it does very much depend on political leanings .... Maybe in American terms I'm a loony lefty
Old 28-09-2018, 08:58 AM #44
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.[1][2]
We're all victims now It is important to recognize the signs...
Old 28-09-2018, 09:30 AM #45

Quote:
i just heard her "performance" on the radio

His performance made me titter , even the news readers had a sneaky grin.
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 09:36 AM #46
You know my methods

You know my methods

I just dont see how this goes any further than

she said

he said?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 09:40 AM #47

Quote:
I just dont see how this goes any further than

she said

he said?

But there is 2 other women.
Old 28-09-2018, 09:42 AM #48
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
But there is 2 other women.
yes just like in many of the cases in the UK when people came forward to besmirch a celeb only to find that it was a tissue of lies

time will tell
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 11:48 AM #49

It will be amazing if he gets the Job,
after the rape claim - that can not be Proved.
Old 28-09-2018, 12:29 PM #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijaxers View Post
His performance made me titter , even the news readers had a sneaky grin.

He came across as guilty as hell ..you're right his performance kinda reminded me of a Saturday Night Live sketch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
accused, assault, brett, elections, kavanaugh, sexual, women