Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:27 AM #26
-

-

On a more serious note; Lindsay Lohan is one of the more extreme examples of how badly a young mind can be damaged by Hollywood / Disney / early celebrity. I think I mentioned her as an example on the relatively recent thread about Demi Lovato's overdose. It's all pretty awful. These people are thrust into celebrity when they're young and showered with positive attention and adoration. They're exploited by faceless coroprate money-generators and all too often their families as well. And then when they (it seems, inevitably) go sideways, the attention stays but it turns toxic. Very few could come through something like that without a significant impact on their overall health. There are a few notable exceptions who have "made it" as adults (Drew Barrymore, Leo DiCaprio) but even they've had hiccups and to be frank while Leo is a stable adult actor he blatantly has some issues when it comes to having healthy relationships etc.

If you want a direct comparison, you only have to look at the oft-used example of Elizabeth Olsen and the Olsen Twins. The Twins got famous young and have had a plethora of mental health issues between them. Their sister didn't find meaningful fame until her early 20's, and looks extremely healthy and happy. Obviously they grew up in the same family, so there being such a stark contrast is probably not a coincidence. She got to have a normal / private childhood and teenage life, they did not.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:33 AM #27
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
i know the name but i have no idea who she is or why i know the name
Mean Girls, Herbie Fully Loaded actress

and also her dad has been in the news quite a few times Michael Lohan

honestly, the entire Lohan family is quite famous (or infamous to those who dislike them) now

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:35 AM #28
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

i have no idea who she is, never even heard of mean girls let alone seen it. All I see is a very bizarre video where she is trying to entice children away from their families that she sees randomly on the street. That isn't normal.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:38 AM #29
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I think the drink, drugs and whatever else ails her has ruined what was a promising film career. I really rated her as an actress... it's sad.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:40 AM #30
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I think the drink, drugs and whatever else ails her has ruined what was a promising film career. I really rated her as an actress... it's sad.
this same thing also had happened to Britney Spears, glad that Britney is on her way up again as a lovely singer, and a bit more mature person now

Lindsay was great in Herbie Fully Loaded with co star Michael Keaton

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:31 PM #31
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
i have no idea who she is, never even heard of mean girls let alone seen it. All I see is a very bizarre video where she is trying to entice children away from their families that she sees randomly on the street. That isn't normal.
She was a child actress who has sadly developed significant mental health problems as an adult.

But if we're really talking about things that aren't normal...

...you haven't seen Mean Girls?

Next you'll be telling us you haven't seen "Clueless"
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:53 PM #32
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
On a more serious note; Lindsay Lohan is one of the more extreme examples of how badly a young mind can be damaged by Hollywood / Disney / early celebrity. I think I mentioned her as an example on the relatively recent thread about Demi Lovato's overdose. It's all pretty awful. These people are thrust into celebrity when they're young and showered with positive attention and adoration. They're exploited by faceless coroprate money-generators and all too often their families as well. And then when they (it seems, inevitably) go sideways, the attention stays but it turns toxic. Very few could come through something like that without a significant impact on their overall health. There are a few notable exceptions who have "made it" as adults (Drew Barrymore, Leo DiCaprio) but even they've had hiccups and to be frank while Leo is a stable adult actor he blatantly has some issues when it comes to having healthy relationships etc.

If you want a direct comparison, you only have to look at the oft-used example of Elizabeth Olsen and the Olsen Twins. The Twins got famous young and have had a plethora of mental health issues between them. Their sister didn't find meaningful fame until her early 20's, and looks extremely healthy and happy. Obviously they grew up in the same family, so there being such a stark contrast is probably not a coincidence. She got to have a normal / private childhood and teenage life, they did not.
This 100%. Macaulay Culkin is another one. It's quite well known the effect Hollywood can have on the young, as well as exposing them to some of the predators that do prey on the younger actors/actresses... but yet we haven't seen much of a movement to change that.

If the actor/actresses have a great support network, they can probably weather most of that and be stronger willed for it, but in LL's case, she didn't really have that in her parents. They were highly unstable role models & her mother in particular is very airy fairy. With all the materialism and the successes she had then, it's hard to know how much "her people" really knew about her personal life. But, that industry does tend to keep darker dealings like that in the shadow. It's ludicrous how Hollywood will try to preach to others on their sexual/personal business in light of their own greed...
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:04 PM #33
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Quote:
i know the name but i have no idea who she is or why i know the name
LL is up there with Paris Hilton, KK in terms of how much of their personal life is written/published about them. They pretty much solidified an industry of sites like TMZ, RadarOnline, Perez Hilton, etc. Perez Hilton wouldn't be where he is otherwise. So to some degree, we can blame them for the way celebrity "journalism" has erupted and sort of merged with more serious news/journalism... TMZ in particular normalized it in that they always had some connection to some court, etc. They always seemed to know things before law enforcement reported. So yeah... they were very reliable for breaking stuff, so a lot of regular outfits started to cover/cite them. If you read any celebrity news in the past decade, you maybe had seen articles about her, but i think the prime of that was 2000-2010 era...

Most older folk would probably remember her by her face as a child star if they watched movies with their kids during the 90's. She was famous for The Parent Trap where she played as a pair of twins, as well as Herbie. Both very popular films.

She hasn't done much after Mean Girls (her teenage years). Not much that people would remember anyway. Most know her now for when her life spiraled into drugs/alcoholism/partying and dozens of dodgy activities, dozens of arrests/court visits...

Lindsay Lohan: A Timeline of All Her Arrests (and Boy, There Are a Lot of 'Em)
https://www.eonline.com/news/367020/...re-a-lot-of-em

Last edited by Maru; 02-10-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:33 PM #34

I think a big part of it also comes from the fact that not many very successful child actors/stars translate into equally successful adult actors/stars and I suppose that huge comedown to reality is a massive fall for some of them.

I admire Drew Barrymore, she seems to have overcome her issues successfully. Someone like Britney, whilst seemingly levelled out from a lot of what was happening ten years ago seems still just completely broken as a person and I don't think will ever be the same again, which is really tragic. A lot of the time, she seems completely drugged up tbh, just to keep her chilled. She's like a stoner in that sense.

Last edited by Marsh.; 02-10-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:43 AM #35
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post

A well worded post that I agree with entirely.
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:04 AM #36
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Enzo
BBCanada 8: Jamar
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Enzo
BBCanada 8: Jamar

Quote: