Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 15-02-2019, 11:12 AM #26
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherzyK View Post
Fair enough but I was referring to contemporary blackface and how people these days use blackface. I’m allowed to be shocked at something that offends me Liv. You have to agree that racism is very much prevelant to this day and back then black people took most of the brunt when it comes discrimination.
I know this: Jews are the most abused minority in the UK right now. But like I said, I've never heard of a Jew complaining because someone made their face up like a Jew to play Shylock. It's not only black people who face discrimination and if you're going to change the past as well as the future, you've got to do it for all minority groups, not just black people.

What did you think about my comment about a white West End star refused permission to sing a song from Dream Girls because she's white? If a black woman was refused the right to sing a song purely based on the colour of her skin there would quite rightly be uproar. But this story seems to have been accepted as normal.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 11:13 AM #27
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
It’s fine, I just thought you were claiming that I made this thing which relates to the Gucci thread which it doesn’t and I only used it as an example
no i wasn't, no worries
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 11:23 AM #28
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
All this just throws up more questions for me.

Lawrence Olivier blacked up to play Othello. Was that wrong?

I saw Adrian Lester - a black actor - play King Henry V - who was most definitely a white man. Was that okay?

I've seen Eddie Murphy whited up playing a Jew. Is that wrong? If it had been a white man blacked up... people would have twisted themselves out of shape with rage but despite the various plights the Jews have faced, it's okay for a black man to white up to play one.

I see stuff on TV that depicts black people during [for instance] Victorian times in positions of power... Guardsmen, policemen... it wouldn't have happened. Now, is it okay to pretend the Victorians were all inclusive, or does that damage the truth, that at the time black people were thought of as less then the British working class?

A West End star - a white woman - was refused permission to sing a some from Dream Girls because the song is for a black woman and she is white. Dear God... can you imagine the uproar that would kick off if a black woman was refused permission to sing a song because of the colour of her skin?
Excellent !!
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 11:24 AM #29
ਵਫ਼ਾਦਾਰੀ ☬

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Siannise
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
ਵਫ਼ਾਦਾਰੀ ☬

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Siannise
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Quote:
I know this: Jews are the most abused minority in the UK right now. But like I said, I've never heard of a Jew complaining because someone made their face up like a Jew to play Shylock. It's not only black people who face discrimination and if you're going to change the past as well as the future, you've got to do it for all minority groups, not just black people.

What did you think about my comment about a white West End star refused permission to sing a song from Dream Girls because she's white? If a black woman was refused the right to sing a song purely based on the colour of her skin there would quite rightly be uproar. But this story seems to have been accepted as normal.
Let’s just lay it all on the table and agree that we will never achieve the right amount of equality whether someone is male/female, black/white whatever. My focus was on the blackface but I guess you can see it from different standpoints. I just think that discrimination against black people is much more common but what do I know

I’ve never heard about the dream girls thing but it’s extremely wrong they did that. But I feel like this was a one off and not something that would be considered common. Nonetheless it’s wrong that she did get rejected for that reason
SherzyK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 11:33 AM #30
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Let’s just lay it all on the table and agree that we will never achieve the right amount of equality whether someone is male/female, black/white whatever. My focus was on the blackface but I guess you can see it from different standpoints. I just think that discrimination against black people is much more common but what do I know

I’ve never heard about the dream girls thing but it’s extremely wrong they did that. But I feel like this was a one off and not something that would be considered common. Nonetheless it’s wrong that she did get rejected for that reason
In an ideal world no one would ever be discriminated against... but people are cruel and whatever's different about you, someone will hate you for it. My view is this: things are changing, very slowly maybe, but they are changing and we've gained a lot of ground in the last few decades in making people feel included and not singled out because they're different. It would be nice if there was a bit of celebration over that.

Being a Jewish woman, I have been abused purely because of who I am. But I don't let those instances define me because the people who hate me because I'm a Jew are ****ing slugs. Not even worthy of my acknowledgement even.

Specifically regarding the blackface thing, the only question that should be asked in my opinion, is this: is it meant to be insulting or degrading? And if the answer is yes, get rid. But the answer isn't always going to be yes.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 11:41 AM #31
You know my methods

You know my methods

Does this mean that no white person would ever dress up as a black celeb for say Halloween?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 11:42 AM #32
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Me too!

It gives me great comfort when I hear young people banging on about how the older generation ruined the world, and I know that in twenty or thirty years time another generation of young people will be aiming that remark at them.
http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/foru...as+tank+engine

They have started already imagine what 7 year olds would be saying to this

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
art, blackface, cultural, form, history, racist