Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB8 Big Brother 8 was won by Brian Belo. Post about 2007's series here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:40 AM #1

Default I Am So Sick Of This Racist Thing

Right firstly Emily was just trying to communicate with Charley . 2 Series of Big Brother have been effected by racism , I think tomorow we will see a few new housemates eneter the house to drift the press off the topic . I think this racial incedint comes from Emilys love of music and this is a way she could connect with Charley . They where dancing just having fun .
ah well , I Just hope this small incident does not take over the series
Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 AM #2

It's like anything.. this is the first bit of big news to come from the series so far. Channel 4 have to be careful after CBB and Emily may or may not have realised what she said.. I'm shocked she said it but I'd prefer to see how it was said on the show tonight, if they show it at all.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM #3
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBrotherMad
Right firstly Emily was just trying to communicate with Charley . 2 Series of Big Brother have been effected by racism , I think tomorow we will see a few new housemates eneter the house to drift the press off the topic . I think this racial incedint comes from Emilys love of music and this is a way she could connect with Charley . They where dancing just having fun .
I dont think Emily was just using that word with the music. She meant it. She wouldnt of said something like that if she was joking around. This is very serious and I hope Emily gets whats coming to her. I am glad Big Brother has chucked her out of the house.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM #4
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBrotherMad
She was just tying to communicate with Charley? Emily used that word due to her love of music? I'm afraid you're going to have to explain your logic. I'm baffled.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM #5

I love music to. But that doesn't mean I go around calling my coloured friends what Emily called Charley.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM #6
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Amy
It's like anything.. this is the first bit of big news to come from the series so far. Channel 4 have to be careful after CBB and Emily may or may not have realised what she said.. I'm shocked she said it but I'd prefer to see how it was said on the show tonight, if they show it at all.
Again. Why does it matter how she said it. Do you think that just because she wasn't trying to cause offence that it's OK?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 AM #7

It won't take over the series, because she's gone and that's that.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 AM #8

the point isnt whether she meant it or not.. the point is that she said it and if channel 4 did not act upon it then they'd be in big trouble this time round. channel 4 made the right decision and people should be careful when they use such words.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 AM #9
Banned

Banned

Im sorry i think racism is poo i dont believe in it if these rappers can use the N word in their music and call it each other then why should it be a problem when a white person uses the word
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM #10

Quote:
Originally posted by GiRTh
Quote:
Originally posted by Amy
Again. Why does it matter how she said it. Do you think that just because she wasn't trying to cause offence that it's OK?
I'm not saying at all that what she said was ok.. and we could talk about racism for hours.. I'd just prefer to see what happened tonight. I don't agree at all with racism. All i'm saying is I personally think she did not mean it the way she said it.. what she said was wrong and she got what she deserved. At the end of the day we all have very different views that's what makes a great forum. I just find it sad in this day and age that wars are caused over religion and racism.. not good.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM #11

I think it's a bit silly, I've seen people say worse on other tv shows. The only reason emily has been booted out is because bb is just back on our screen but the skin of its teeth and they had to be harsh.
My view: If they had of practiced their anti-rasicm scheme whilst their precious Ms. Goody was in the house none of this would have happened.
Davina said on charlotte church that she hoped it wouldnt be like this and it is!!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 AM #12

[/quote]She was just tying to communicate with Charley? Emily used that word due to her love of music? I'm afraid you're going to have to explain your logic. I'm baffled. [/quote]

Basically the logic of his comment was that she didn't mean it to be racist or offensive. Which she didn't nobody took offense. Charley turned around and said in the conversation 'I'm a *****'... Basically nobody has seen it aired so nobody can say it was meant in a racist way
Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 AM #13
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by stella
Im sorry i think racism is poo i dont believe in it if these rappers can use the N word in their music and call it each other then why should it be a problem when a white person uses the word
It is a problem when someone who is white calls someone who is coloured. That is called racism!. And that is a very serious thing.

And so what if music artists use it in their songs there not dilberately saying it to hurt someone. Where as Emily was last night. Its a completely different thing here.

Amy I think you be on our side and not be on Emily's when she said a racist comment. I dont think anyone would say something like that if they were joking around and to me and everyone else here it looks she was being serious using that word.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 AM #14

Quote:
Originally posted by telefan2006
I think it's a bit silly, I've seen people say worse on other tv shows. The only reason emily has been booted out is because bb is just back on our screen but the skin of its teeth and they had to be harsh.
My view: If they had of practiced their anti-rasicm scheme whilst their precious Ms. Goody was in the house none of this would have happened.
Davina said on charlotte church that she hoped it wouldnt be like this and it is!!
I completely agree with the. The Jade Goody thing was completely blown out of proportion, she should have been removed. Now because of BB's future mistakes Emily has been romoved and there will be more media coverage on how bad it was rather than just not airing it, warning emily and keeping it off air and low profile. That way no media, no black supremists trying to ban the show. I mean I'm the least racist person in the world, but this is just gettin out of hand

Guess we won't see a BB9...
Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 AM #15

Its clear to see that BB was and is now going to stamp on anyone who says a racist term. And rightly so..... they have had their knuckles rappedover CBB and certainly didnt want to come any where near what happened in January.

And to be fair...contestants should have known this.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:57 AM #16

Quote:
Originally posted by Amy21
Amy I think you be on our side and not be on Emily's when she said a racist comment. I dont think anyone would say something like that if they were joking around and to me and everyone else here it looks she was being serious using that word.
That is not what I mean.. what I'm saying is that she may not have meant it in the way we think it was said.. I'm not saying once you watch the show we go "ok, that's fine she's joking" that's not what I'm saying at all.. I'm just meerly saying she may not have meant to cause this stir and could well be regretting it big time. I'm not saying it's ok to do it/say it or anything like that just that she may not have meant it.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:58 AM #17

Okay, so next time I want to communicate with a black person, I'll be sure to call them a ******, right?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:58 AM #18

Quote:
Originally posted by Cody™
the point isnt whether she meant it or not.. the point is that she said it and if channel 4 did not act upon it then they'd be in big trouble this time round. channel 4 made the right decision and people should be careful when they use such words.
I agree, and the fact that C4 handled the situation like this means it's not done them a great deal of damage and we can watch future BBs as long as there are viewers (of which there are plenty).
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 AM #19

Quote:
Originally posted by Amy21
Quote:
It is a problem when someone who is white calls someone who is coloured. That is called racism!. And that is a very serious thing.

And so what if music artists use it in their songs there not dilberately saying it to hurt someone. Where as Emily was last night. Its a completely different thing here.

I disagree with racism bieng a load of poo, and I disbeleive that you interpet that as racism. We have not heard it bieng said, sorry but, in this case you can't call her a racist because we've seen the quotes.

She was quoting on Black-Culture, I don't belive she said '******'... I beleive '*****' will be the phrase said. Two intirly different things. ****** offensive noun, ***** adjective
Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 PM #20
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
How many times do i have to answer this one?

First of all, I have to point out that I'm of Jamaican ancestry. Now, this word was a word that I grew up hearing over and over again. No one uses this word like my mother. Trust me.

The whole point is that - when black people use this word we know what we are saying. When a a white person uses this word we don't know what they're saying. So my advise to white people is to avoid using this word in the presence of a black person because we don't know what you're trying to say by using this word. It's double standard, I know, but it's like telling racist jokes. Jewish people can tell Jewish Jokes, black people an tell black joke. Basically, if you're not one then avoid anything that could be construed as racist.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:01 PM #21

I really don't want to start a fight, but there has been a lot of talk about the fact that simply using the word ****** is offensive no matter what the motive or context.

Yet I've seen a few people use the term "coloured" in a few different threads. This term is actually considered quite offensive as well these days. Maybe not as inflammatory as the "n" word but still considered to be inappropriate:

Quote:
The American English term (spelt as colored) had a related, but different meaning and was primarily used to refer to African Americans - except in the State of Louisiana, where it legally denoted people of mixed European and sub-Saharan African ancestry. The use of term in this way is now considered archaic and offensive in most contexts; nonetheless it remains part of the title of the NAACP, a prominent African-American organisation, and has been employed by some members of the African-American community as a legitimate ethnic/racial label when intentionally self-chosen and used in a respectful manner. "People of color" is currently used more frequently than "colored", but in the American usage, the phrase refers more generally to all people who do not describe themselves as "white", including people of Asian, Native American and African descent. In a British context "coloured" has also been used to refer to black people, although this is now regarded as an old-fashioned and somewhat offensive usage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured
Old 07-06-2007, 12:01 PM #22
Banned

Banned

So your saying she just went up to Charley an called her a ***** in a nasty way? Coz am sure Charley would of knocked seven shades of Sh**t out of her if that was the case....If somone is innocently singin one of these rap songs an ***** is part of the song then who's to blame? i say the very people that dont like racism themselfs is the people that cause it half the time
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 PM #23

Quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast
I really don't want to start a fight, but there has been a lot of talk about the fact that simply using the word ni**er is offensive no matter what the motive or context.

Yet I've seen a few people use the term "coloured". This term is actually considered quite offensive as well these days. Maybe not as inflammatory as the "n" word but still considered to be inappropriate:

Quote:
The American English term (spelt as colored) had a related, but different meaning and was primarily used to refer to African Americans - except in the State of Louisiana, where it legally denoted people of mixed European and sub-Saharan African ancestry. The use of term in this way is now considered archaic and offensive in most contexts; nonetheless it remains part of the title of the NAACP, a prominent African-American organisation, and has been employed by some members of the African-American community as a legitimate ethnic/racial label when intentionally self-chosen and used in a respectful manner. "People of color" is currently used more frequently than "colored", but in the American usage, the phrase refers more generally to all people who do not describe themselves as "white", including people of Asian, Native American and African descent. In a British context "coloured" has also been used to refer to black people, although this is now regarded as an old-fashioned and somewhat offensive usage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured
I was thinking that myself..
Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM #24

Communicate through her love of music? I love music. Would never dream of doing something like this! N****r is a slang word used in a derogatory way against black people. P*ki is also one. Are these acceptable words to refer to people as? So if I said "You pushing it out you p*ki", is that acceptable too?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM #25

But I also have a feeling that if Charley had called Emily 'white trash' (which could be considered offensive and obviously isn't true in Emily's case anyway but IF), there wouldn't have been much said about it.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
racist, sick, thing