Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:19 PM #1

Default When Some of you leave University you will have a Episodic Career

So do not pick one career
So Pick 5 careers

https://www.theguardian.com/business...curity-economy

Thats more than a back up
its is a better outlook.

This was on the SkyAtlanticHD/HBO
John Oliver "Last Week Tonight" show last week

Also in the newspaper today
Students going for jobs are no good
at communication
so they have a Degree but lack
work experience

Sign Of The Times

Last edited by arista; 09-03-2019 at 03:35 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:43 PM #2
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Probably. I'd never suggest to anyone that they don't get more education, but I'd say think very carefully about what kind of degree they take. Degrees with a definite career path are great (primary ed, nursing, medicine, pharmacy, engineering, etc), but if it's a "school subject" I'd wonder what they intended to do after, if not teaching.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:23 PM #3
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Probably. I'd never suggest to anyone that they don't get more education, but I'd say think very carefully about what kind of degree they take. Degrees with a definite career path are great (primary ed, nursing, medicine, pharmacy, engineering, etc), but if it's a "school subject" I'd wonder what they intended to do after, if not teaching.
To be fair, the vast majority of non-mimimum-wage jobs that aren't trades require "a University education" (any degree) as a prerequisite to even applying these days. So arts faculty degrees aren't pointless; they're just unlikely to lead to a career in that specific area.

As always with these threads however, I *strongly* recommend that school-leavers don't go straight into higher education unless they have a specific career planned. Or are well off. Simply because you're unlikely to get funding more than once and its easy to "waste it", then hit 30, realise there's a career you want to pursue, but you have no funding available. Not a problem if you have a rich family and can just pay for it upfront, but for most people it's worth considering.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:39 PM #4
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
To be fair, the vast majority of non-mimimum-wage jobs that aren't trades require "a University education" (any degree) as a prerequisite to even applying these days. So arts faculty degrees aren't pointless; they're just unlikely to lead to a career in that specific area.

As always with these threads however, I *strongly* recommend that school-leavers don't go straight into higher education unless they have a specific career planned. Or are well off. Simply because you're unlikely to get funding more than once and its easy to "waste it", then hit 30, realise there's a career you want to pursue, but you have no funding available. Not a problem if you have a rich family and can just pay for it upfront, but for most people it's worth considering.
I agree with basically all of this. I'm so glad I didn't start university when I was 18, as I'd have probably pissed away the government funding on a media degree or something. Not that that'd be a waste for everyone - I animate as a hobby and sometimes for commissions, but I don't want to do it full time, and a degree wouldn't have helped me personally.
Spoiler:

I doubt anyone cares - I did Primary Ed. I don't want to teach full time, so I work three days a week as an HLTA, and do supply work on the other two days. When it's summer and sometimes over Christmas I work in child protection for the BBC, and I have zero hours at an indoor softplay area, for when it's summer and I'm not getting work at the BBC, if I can be bothered with it.
That's four different jobs, so the o/p is kind of correct!

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
career, episodic, leave, university