Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 01:22 PM #1
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,513


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,513


Default Jon Snow draws complaints for 'WHITE PEOPLE' remark at Brexit rally



More than 2,000 people have complained after Channel 4 presenter Jon Snow said of a pro-Brexit rally that he had "never seen so many white people".

Media watchdog Ofcom said it had received 2,025 complaints and was deciding whether to investigate.

The Channel 4 News anchor made the comment when he was signing off from Friday evening's live bulletin.

A spokeswoman said it was "an unscripted observation", and said Channel 4 News regretted any offence.

Snow was speaking as pictures showed protesters in Westminster after MPs had rejected Prime Minister Theresa May's EU withdrawal agreement on the day the UK was due to leave the EU.

Snow told viewers: "It's been the most extraordinary day. A day which has seen... I have never seen so many white people in one place, it's an extraordinary story.



"There are people everywhere, there are crowds everywhere."

An Ofcom spokeswoman said: "We are assessing these complaints against our broadcasting rules, but are yet to decide whether or not to investigate."

The remarks drew criticism from some viewers who described the comments about "white people" as unnecessary.

In a statement, the Channel 4 News a spokeswoman said: "This was an unscripted observation at the very end of a long week of fast-moving Brexit developments.

"Jon has covered major events such as this over a long career and this was a spontaneous comment reflecting his observation that, in a London demonstration of that size, ethnic minorities seemed to be significantly under-represented.

"We regret any offence caused by his comment."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47774564
LeatherTrumpet is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM #2
Alf's Avatar
Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
Alf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Default

No surprise that he's never seen that many White people, Living in his London bubble. He wants to get out a bit more. the ignorant tw@
Alf is online now  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM #3
Nicky91's Avatar
Nicky91 Nicky91 is offline
Zumi Zimi Zami
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brabant, Netherlands
Posts: 63,216

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY


Nicky91 Nicky91 is offline
Zumi Zimi Zami
Nicky91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brabant, Netherlands
Posts: 63,216

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY


Default

yeah well but you can expect to get complaints if you say racist stupid crap like that


and also this guy seriously is called Jon Snow, like the GoT character
__________________

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:29 PM #4
arista's Avatar
arista arista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,441
arista arista is offline
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,441
Default

Yes it was on the Ch4 YouTube broadcast.

Sadly Jon was not given any Live guests?
On the ITV/ITN/Ch4news Scaffolding section
So it was his own observation.


That BBC link has it Wrong
It was the 2PM YOU TUBE broadcast --- NOT TV news



"The Channel 4 News anchor made the comment when he was signing off from Friday evening's live bulletin."


Stupid BBC link getting the Ch4News YOU TUBE Live Feed 2PM mixed up with the 7PM TV news

Last edited by arista; 01-04-2019 at 01:48 PM.
arista is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM #5
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,513


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,513


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
yeah well but you can expect to get complaints if you say racist stupid crap like that


and also this guy seriously is called Jon Snow, like the GoT character
what is racist specifically?
LeatherTrumpet is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM #6
Nicky91's Avatar
Nicky91 Nicky91 is offline
Zumi Zimi Zami
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brabant, Netherlands
Posts: 63,216

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY


Nicky91 Nicky91 is offline
Zumi Zimi Zami
Nicky91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brabant, Netherlands
Posts: 63,216

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
what is racist specifically?
the ''never seen so many white people'' bit
__________________

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:34 PM #7
Alf's Avatar
Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
Alf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Default

Surely he must have seen more White people at the remain march the week before? There were 2 million people there apparently, and judging from the pictures, they were mostly White.
Alf is online now  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:36 PM #8
Matthew.'s Avatar
Matthew. Matthew. is offline
it’s a mad, mad world
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 13,796

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle


Matthew. Matthew. is offline
it’s a mad, mad world
Matthew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 13,796

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle


Default

This has got to be some sort of ****ty April Fool’s joke, surely?

People complain that the world has gone PC mad because they can’t be bigoted without being challenged, however they throw a tantrum when a white person refers to white people as “white people”. Bloody hell
__________________





Spoiler:








Matthew. is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM #9
arista's Avatar
arista arista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,441
arista arista is offline
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew. View Post
This has got to be some sort of ****ty April Fool’s joke, surely?

People complain that the world has gone PC mad because they can’t be bigoted without being challenged, however they throw a tantrum when a white person refers to white people as “white people”. Bloody hell

No it was Complaints made on Saturday.

But that BBC link has it wrong
it was NOT the 7PM TV News
It was the Special Live You Tube Feed
that started around 2PM

Last edited by arista; 01-04-2019 at 01:46 PM.
arista is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:42 PM #10
Alf's Avatar
Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
Alf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
No it was made Yesterday.

But that BBC link has it wrong
it was NOT the 7PM TV News
It was the Special Live You Tube Feed
that started around 2PM
No, it was made on Friday at the Leave march.
Alf is online now  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:45 PM #11
arista's Avatar
arista arista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,441
arista arista is offline
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
No, it was made on Friday at the Leave march.
Yes it was
But not on the 7PM TV news on Friday
Stupid bbc link gets it wrong


It was the Live YouTube Feed at 2PM Friday
I posted the link on the EU thread

Last edited by arista; 01-04-2019 at 01:47 PM.
arista is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:47 PM #12
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,513


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,513


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
the ''never seen so many white people'' bit
yes that is right as there were lots of white people and london is not like that anymore
LeatherTrumpet is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:47 PM #13
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,095
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew. View Post
This has got to be some sort of ****ty April Fool’s joke, surely?

People complain that the world has gone PC mad because they can’t be bigoted without being challenged, however they throw a tantrum when a white person refers to white people as “white people”. Bloody hell
They're the same people that brand others snowflakes too, you can't make it up.

Just goes to show how hypocritical the right often are, everything is PC gone mad.... Until it benefits them.
Tom4784 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:51 PM #14
Alf's Avatar
Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
Alf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Default

Notting Hill carnival

I've never seen so many Black people

Said nobody ever
Alf is online now  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:52 PM #15
Alf's Avatar
Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
Alf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Default

Protest in Nigeria

I've never seen so many Black people

Said nobody ever

Last edited by Alf; 01-04-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Alf is online now  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:57 PM #16
Alf's Avatar
Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
Alf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Default

Protest in Britain

I've never seen so many White people

Said Channel 4 news
Alf is online now  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:00 PM #17
Marsh. Marsh. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79,984


Marsh. Marsh. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79,984


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
yes that is right as there were lots of white people and london is not like that anymore
It aint just Londoners who protest. Why you expect the crowds to be a perfect representation of London demographics is odd.
Marsh. is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:02 PM #18
Jordan.'s Avatar
Jordan. Jordan. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 63,946

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky


Jordan. Jordan. is offline
Senior Member
Jordan.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 63,946

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky


Default

Sorry but this just sounded so forced and corny coming from a rich white man's mouth.
Jordan. is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM #19
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,513


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,513


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
It aint just Londoners who protest. Why you expect the crowds to be a perfect representation of London demographics is odd.
I dont, that was the ironically named Mr Snow
LeatherTrumpet is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM #20
bitontheslide's Avatar
bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46,262

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
bitontheslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46,262

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


Default

What would have been the reaction if he had said he didn't see any black people in the crowd
bitontheslide is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM #21
Nicky91's Avatar
Nicky91 Nicky91 is offline
Zumi Zimi Zami
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brabant, Netherlands
Posts: 63,216

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY


Nicky91 Nicky91 is offline
Zumi Zimi Zami
Nicky91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brabant, Netherlands
Posts: 63,216

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
It aint just Londoners who protest. Why you expect the crowds to be a perfect representation of London demographics is odd.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...itics-44005360

a fine example is this from last year in May, protest march in scotland, for their independence
__________________

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:06 PM #22
Alf's Avatar
Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Alf Alf is online now
Sod orf
Alf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wapping
Posts: 34,466


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
What would have been the reaction if he had said he didn't see any black people in the crowd
He couldn't have said that, because he knew there was many ethnicities in there, he was just race baiting to his audience.
Alf is online now  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:15 PM #23
arista's Avatar
arista arista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,441
arista arista is offline
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Protest in Britain

I've never seen so many White people

Said Channel 4 news

Yes but less viewers
as it was Not on the TV 7PM news

It was on the You Tube Ch4News Live feed
around 2PM.
arista is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:32 PM #24
Twosugars Twosugars is offline
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,384
Twosugars Twosugars is offline
Stiff Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 9,384
Default

who else would be objecting if not those who push the false agenda of white race being oppressed and discriminated against? The right wing.
Twosugars is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 03:09 PM #25
Northern Monkey Northern Monkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 13,269

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom


Northern Monkey Northern Monkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 13,269

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Surely he must have seen more White people at the remain march the week before? There were 2 million people there apparently, and judging from the pictures, they were mostly White.
That is true.From the pics i saw it was nearly all middle class white people.

Where was Jon Snow then??
Northern Monkey is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brexit, complaints, draws, jon, people, rally, remark, snow, white

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
 

About Us ThisisBigBrother.com

"Big Brother and UK Television Forum. Est. 2001"

 

© 2023
no new posts