Notices

Soaps Discuss Eastenders, Coronation Street and the rest of the soaps in this sub-forum.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:12 PM #1
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

Default Emmerdale star Shila Iqbal sacked from Aiesha Richards role over old racist tweets

Quote:
Update (5.57pm): Emmerdale plans to air Shila Iqbal's remaining scenes after sacking the actress for old racist tweets.

The show films several weeks in advance, and so the character of Aiesha Richards will continue to be seen on screen for 14 more days.

Earlier today, Iqbal said that she was "terribly sorry" and takes "full responsibility" for social media posts made in 2013, in which she used the N-word on multiple occasions.

Original story (2.38pm): Emmerdale star Shila Iqbal has been fired from the show after old racist tweets were brought to ITV's attention.

Iqbal, who plays Aiesha Richards, was recently promoted to a show regular but Twitter posts made back in 2013, when she was 19 years old, saw her use the N-word on multiple occasions.

The actress has since deleted her Twitter account.

"As a consequence of historic social media posts, Shila Iqbal has left her role as Aiesha Richards on Emmerdale," an ITV spokesperson said.

"The programme took the decision not to renew her contract as soon as these posts were brought to the company's attention."

In a statement apologising for her comments, Iqbal said: "I am terribly sorry and take full responsibility for my use of such inappropriate language. I have paid the price and can no longer continue the job I loved the most at Emmerdale.

"Although I was young when I made the tweets, it was still completely wrong of me to do so and I sincerely apologise.

"The only consideration I would ask is that I have recently received hateful tweets telling me that as a Muslim my Emmerdale role means that I am 'committing sinful acts, promoting sin and deliberately going against the Quran'.

"We live in sensitive times for members of all communities and especially those in multi-racial Rochdale where I grew up.

"I regret that I too have let people down by the use of such language, albeit six years ago. I, like everyone else, have a responsibility about the language I have used on social media as well as in conversation."

Iqbal first played Manpreet's daughter Aiesha last year and returned to the village in March to move in with the Sharmas.

At the time of Aiesha's return, Iqbal described her promotion to show regular status as "like a dream", adding: "I'm really grateful to the producers for bringing me back!

"Aiesha very much represents the new generation of social media fascination, and her phone is her third hand. She is always camera-ready!"
https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emm...racist-tweets/

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:35 PM #2

Good the character was dreadful ! brain the size of a petit pois and really annoying.
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:39 PM #3
Shut yer mouth ya PRICK

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Maura
BB19: Sian
Shut yer mouth ya PRICK

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Maura
BB19: Sian

I loved her character she was a scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelindabee View Post
I started declining people if they have a Foren names though as those people I think are contacting me about dating as they want a visa... Lots of people (who can't speak English well) contact me about wanting to be my bf... Then I find out that they actually live in indea or a place like that
thisisdanny is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 12:49 AM #4
Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Are they gonna keep doing this until there's no more soap characters left?
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
aiesha, emmerdale, iqbal, racist, richards, role, sacked, shila, star, tweets