Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 23-05-2019, 10:35 PM #51
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Scum!!!
Old 23-05-2019, 11:08 PM #52
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
She threatened to stab Jeremy Corbyn. There's video evidence of it.

Of course, I know she wasn't serious, but by her's and the BBCs rules, context doesn't matter, or is that just for rape jokes and not attempted murder jokes?
Her comments were made during an interview, she qualified with 'If I had to' clearly giving context to the metaphor and it must be stressed she was speaking metaphorically. I cant find the 2016 tweet from Benjamin but can you tell me if contextually he was trying to make a point or was it just a joke? He has also doubled down on his comment and I believe she hasn't so I'd argue there is little moral equivalency between the two. We all make dumb comments but admitting the comment was dumb is something some people just cant do.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 11:14 PM #53
it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle

it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle

Just looked this Carl Benjamin guy up and this is what I found out - he’s even more of a **** than I originally thought.

Quote:
Patreon banned Benjamin in December 2018, when he was earning over US$12,000 a month. According to Patreon, Benjamin violated the site's rules on hate speech by using "racial and homophobic slurs to degrade another individual." A number of users, including Sam Harris, Jordan Peterson, and Dave Rubin left the platform following the ban of Benjamin. Harris stated that he did not "share the politics of the banned members," but objected to what he described as "political bias" on Patreon. As part of their explanation for why they dropped Benjamin, Patreon published a transcript of a YouTube video in which Benjamin stated that members of the alt-right were "acting like white *******" because "exactly how you describe black people acting is the impression I get dealing with the Alt-Right." He added that "White people are meant to be polite and respectful to one another."In response, Benjamin has said that his targets were not black or homosexual, and he claimed that the word "******" is not as offensive in Britain as it is in the United States.
Quote:
In response to Labour Party politician Jess Phillips' statement that rape threats are commonplace for her, Benjamin said in May 2016 that "I wouldn't even rape you #AntiRapeThreats #FeminismIsCancer" in a YouTube video and repeated this on Twitter. Benjamin declined to apologise for the comment.

At a UKIP press conference announcing his candidacy for the 2019 European Parliament elections, Benjamin once again refused to retract his comments about Philips, and said that she was being a "giant bitch" by "laughing about male suicide" and that he was justified in being a “giant dick back.” It was unclear what Benjamin's comments referred to; Phillips had not mocked male suicide and believes it to be a serious issue. The Chairman of the Swindon branch of the UKIP called for Benjamin to be deselected, which was rejected by Batten.
Quote:
In May 2018, Benjamin was a speaker at a right-wing "Day of Freedom" rally in support of Tommy Robinson after Robinson was banned from Twitter for hate speech. While on a panel in New York City in 2018, he said: "Jewish people, unfortunately for them, have got to drop the identity politics. I'm sorry about the Holocaust but I don't give a s***. I'm sorry."

Spoiler:

Matthew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 12:33 AM #54
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
Her comments were made during an interview, she qualified with 'If I had to' clearly giving context to the metaphor and it must be stressed she was speaking metaphorically. I cant find the 2016 tweet from Benjamin but can you tell me if contextually he was trying to make a point or was it just a joke? He has also doubled down on his comment and I believe she hasn't so I'd argue there is little moral equivalency between the two. We all make dumb comments but admitting the comment was dumb is something some people just cant do.
It was a joke calling Jess Phillips ugly. He said it because he believed she was laughing at male suicide and some other reasons. But he doesn't even need any reasons to tell a joke if he wants, he has the freedom to do so.

If he hadn't have decided to become a member of UKIP, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Jokes are not dumb comments, jokes are jokes. So there is absolutely no need to apologise to anyone.

Have you watched his BBC interview with Victoria Derbyshire?

It makes the channel 4s Newman, Peterson interview look good.

If you do watch it. Try and find the full version, because there are edited versions out there, although they still make Benjamin look sane and she a paid actress reading from script, without one bit of interest in what he's saying. It's a really great interview for Sargon, he makes her look foolish.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 12:43 AM #55
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew. View Post
Just looked this Carl Benjamin guy up and this is what I found out - he’s even more of a **** than I originally thought.
He has 2 YouTube channels, he makes videos daily, has done for a while now, you are free to listen to him for yourself and make up your own mind, all his videos are still there to view.

He's been debating the public in town centres for past couple weeks for his election rallies, they're all there to see on his channels, watch we he has to say from the horses mouth. You might not agree with him on everything, I don't agree with him on everything, but at least you'll have more understanding of who he is and what he believes, rather than just the summary from those opposed to him.

Last edited by Alf; 24-05-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:45 AM #56
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It was a joke calling Jess Phillips ugly. He said it because he believed she was laughing at male suicide and some other reasons. But he doesn't even need any reasons to tell a joke if he wants, he has the freedom to do so.

If he hadn't have decided to become a member of UKIP, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Jokes are not dumb comments, jokes are jokes. So there is absolutely no need to apologise to anyone.

Have you watched his BBC interview with Victoria Derbyshire?

It makes the channel 4s Newman, Peterson interview look good.

If you do watch it. Try and find the full version, because there are edited versions out there, although they still make Benjamin look sane and she a paid actress reading from script, without one bit of interest in what he's saying. It's a really great interview for Sargon, he makes her look foolish.
As a student of comedy you must admit rape jokes are still very taboo. The moment a comedian decides to joke about rape, no matter his political bias or history it will cause controversy. Some comedians successfully straddle the line of such taboo topics but surely you must admit he failed in this instance and his doubling down is simply crass and frankly arrogant. For me, its not simply about his right to tell a joke.

In light of this becoming a Ukip member just stinks. Whats he trying to prove?

I'll take a look at that interview when I've got time but I'm no fan of Petersons either. Does Benjamin use the tried and tested technique of first making an outrageous claim, enjoying the outrage and absorbing the flames then retreating to a much more arguable position? They all do it Peterson, Shapiro, Sam Harris, even that twat Dave Rubin. They all dont have that much to say IMO

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
Old 24-05-2019, 12:49 AM #57
Sod orf

Sod orf

To be honest GiRTh, I'm gonna stop talking about him now in this thread, because this is now taking this thread off topic, (started by me, admittedly) but I may start a thread on him sometime in the future.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:52 AM #58
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
To be honest GiRTh, I'm gonna stop talking about him now in this thread, because this is now taking this thread off topic, (started by me, admittedly) but I may start a thread on him sometime in the future.
Is this the interview?

Quote:
Old 24-05-2019, 12:57 AM #59
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Is this the interview?
Yes, that's the interview. Not sure if this is an edited version or not. If Jimmy Carr, Ricky Gervais and Frankie Boyle are mentioned, then I think that is the full version.

Last edited by Alf; 24-05-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 24-05-2019, 01:05 AM #60
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Three minutes in and I'm cracking up. He's playing the victim. 'Its a joke about you'. I dont get it

I do agree though, her interview technique is terrible

Quote:
Old 24-05-2019, 01:05 AM #61
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Having said that the bit about 'there not being enough beer' would have been funny enough.

Quote:

Last edited by GiRTh; 24-05-2019 at 01:06 AM.
Old 24-05-2019, 01:13 AM #62
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

He lost it when she started reading out the quotes from rape victims. Poor and exploitative interview technique.

Quote:
Old 24-05-2019, 01:15 AM #63
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

At 8.23 he actually said people are being 'radicalised.

Less than ten minutes in and I'm not impressed Alf. Does it get better?

Quote:
Old 24-05-2019, 01:18 AM #64
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
He lost it when she started reading out the quotes from rape victims. Poor and exploitative interview technique.
He didn't lose anything, he got free publicity from the BBC, the majority of the country whether left or right are probably not the BBCs biggest fans right now, and he was giving it to them, which would have had people on his side. This was a major success for Benjamin.

Last edited by Alf; 24-05-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 24-05-2019, 01:19 AM #65
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

10.56 'I want comedy to come back to this country'

Strange take on it IMO

Quote:
Old 24-05-2019, 01:21 AM #66
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
10.56 'I want comedy to come back to this country'

Strange take on it IMO
What's wrong with that statement?
Old 24-05-2019, 01:26 AM #67
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
He didn't lose anything, he got free publicity from the BBC, the majority of the country whether left or right are probably not the BBCs biggest fans right now, and he was giving it to them, which would have had people on his side. This was a major success for Benjamin.
Not impressed with him at all.

It was a horrible exploitative interview but he didn't come across at all impressive IMO and as for ideas? Dont make me larf. Playing the victim, making confusing statements, he looked lost for about 3-4 minutes when she was reading out the many quotes from sexual violence victims. He's right though, she cant speak for all those people but his lack of an answer was awful.

The free publicity will help but is this the best Ukip have got?

Quote:
Old 24-05-2019, 01:28 AM #68
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
What's wrong with that statement?
Is he the person to head the movement with his crass rape jokes? Comedy aint coming back if he's trumpeting the cause.

Strange take though due to the nature of the interview. She kept trying to shame him and I thought it was a strange thing to focus on given that.

Quote:
Old 24-05-2019, 01:29 AM #69
Sod orf

Sod orf

By the way, that was an edited version, there was no mention of Gervais, Carr and Boyle. The full version see's Carl destroying her to silence.
Old 24-05-2019, 01:32 AM #70
Sod orf

Sod orf

Anyway GiRTh, let's let this thread get back on topic, because we'll end up getting deleted.
Old 24-05-2019, 01:33 AM #71
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
By the way, that was an edited version, there was no mention of Gervais, Carr and Boyle. The full version see's Carl destroying her to silence.
I appreciate that. I think she mentioned it right at the end.

I'll see if I can find the full version.

Quote:
Old 24-05-2019, 01:37 AM #72
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Anyway GiRTh, let's let this thread get back on topic, because we'll end up getting deleted.
Agree. I hope they dont delete this though, its been a good exchange of opinions.

Quote:
Old 24-05-2019, 01:41 AM #73
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Agree. I hope they dont delete this though, its been a good exchange of opinions.
I've always liked exchanging opinions with you, you're a very reasonable and well mannered guy, I can definitely learn from you.

Last edited by Alf; 24-05-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old 24-05-2019, 01:51 AM #74
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I've always liked exchanging opinions with you, you're a very reasonable and well mannered guy, I can definitely learn from you.
Cheers mate.

We disagree on just about every political topic but I think we always keep it clean and can take a bit of ribbing from each other. We can learn from each other

Quote:
Old 24-05-2019, 10:06 AM #75
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Quote:
Cheers mate.

We disagree on just about every political topic but I think we always keep it clean and can take a bit of ribbing from each other. We can learn from each other

TiBB serious debates.... the way it should be.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
birmingham, clashes, jess, labour, lgbt, mp, phillips, protester, school