Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-08-2019, 04:22 PM #51
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Is there no end to conspiracy theories you choose to believe in?
It's getting a bit embarrassing tbh
Keep on topic Sunshine, it's against the rules to bait other members, I'd hate to see you take a holiday.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 04:28 PM #52
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Keep on topic Sunshine, it's against the rules to bait other members, I'd hate to see you take a holiday.
It is on topic

Your suggestion that theres a widespread conspiracy involving women at universities and schools being given a different easier set of tests is a conspiracy theory
I asked a genuine question.

And dont lecture me on baiting, that's all you've done in this thread
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 04:31 PM #53
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
It is on topic

Your suggestion that theres a widespread conspiracy involving women at universities and schools being given a different easier set of tests is a conspiracy theory
I asked a genuine question.

And dont lecture me on baiting, that's all you've done in this thread
Isn't it interesting that every complaint about establishment and power is always a conspiracy theory. That's why the prisons are full of working class people.
Old 19-08-2019, 04:36 PM #54
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Isn't it interesting that every complaint about establishment and power is always a conspiracy theory. That's why the prisons are full of working class people.
But in this case you're accusing the whole education system. Thousands of people would have to be involved. Its madness, Alfred, sheer madness.
Old 19-08-2019, 04:43 PM #55
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
But in this case you're accusing the whole education system. Thousands of people would have to be involved. Its madness, Alfred, sheer madness.
It's not madness. Madness would be to just accept what people tell you without questioning it.

You're not accepting what I say and you're questioning me on it, but you're just prepered to accept what the authorities tell you. They've been known to lie and be corrupt on many occasions.
Old 19-08-2019, 04:51 PM #56
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

so you are seriously suggesting that in a GCSE Physics exam, girls get a different paper to boys? how would that even work given they publish the exam papers online for the following years cohort of students to revise

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 05:02 PM #57
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
so you are seriously suggesting that in a GCSE Physics exam, girls get a different paper to boys? how would that even work given they publish the exam papers online for the following years cohort of students to revise
I don't know all their secrets, but they have their ways to get around things.

This started as me replying to TwoSugars getting excited and proud at a female doing well in this field, had that have been a man, Twosugars wouldn't have even posted, because he expects it off men to do well in this field. Why does he seem delighted that a female succeeded? Because it's not the norm. But suddenly it's becoming the norm. Most work forces in the public eye are pushing for equal representation of men and women, and they'll do what they have to do to achieve it.
Old 19-08-2019, 05:05 PM #58
slé

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Julie
RPDR UK 2: Tayce
slé

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Julie
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Quote:

This started as me replying to TwoSugars getting excited and proud at a female doing well in this field, had that have been a man, Twosugars wouldn't have even posted, because he expects it off men to do well in this field. Why does he seem delighted that a female succeeded? Because it's not the norm. But suddenly it's becoming the norm. Most work forces in the public eye are pushing for equal representation of men and women, and they'll do what they have to do to achieve it.
Old 19-08-2019, 05:06 PM #59
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleleen View Post
I'm not even gonna report you.
Old 19-08-2019, 05:08 PM #60
A great thief

A great thief

i wanna be a receptionist
RileyH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 05:14 PM #61
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:

It wasnt the norm in the past bc of societal pressure, gender stereotypes, various obstacles and discrimination
That's why I'm pleased at signs it is changing. Girls feel confident enough to go for science bc they know they dont have to worry about those things and will be judged on merit not their sex
I think you are confusing it with the drive to have fair representation in decision making, the hierarchy of institutions. A fair chance of advancement. Ending the practice where between two equally talented people it has to be a man who gets put in charge etc

Last edited by Twosugars; 19-08-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 19-08-2019, 05:17 PM #62
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyH View Post
i wanna be a receptionist
And you will succeed

Last edited by Twosugars; 19-08-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 19-08-2019, 05:23 PM #63
Sod orf

Sod orf

It will be interesting to know why she's a previous employee of NASA? Maybe it would give my theory more weight.
Old 19-08-2019, 06:01 PM #64

Quote:

As you have said, no one knows what she did there but had a man said he worked at NASA, most people would assume he was a scientist or IT boffin but with a woman, people assume admin. There are lots of women in science but they are not recognised enough. Would like to know her job title when she did work there.

The problem isnt what she did, its the assumption that is insulting to women

Last edited by AnnieK; 19-08-2019 at 06:02 PM.
AnnieK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 06:08 PM #65
Sod orf

Sod orf

On the actual story in the op, which I've not commented on yet, he was just joking, he says so. Maybe he did it as an icebreaker. This isn't even a story that we need to know about, but why are we?

Last edited by Alf; 19-08-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 19-08-2019, 08:52 PM #66
-

-

Quote:
On the actual story in the op, which I've not commented on yet, he was just joking, he says so. Maybe he did it as an icebreaker. This isn't even a story that we need to know about, but why are we?
It's called "negging", it's a pick up technique that saddos who talk about "having game" use to try to chat up girls. On this occasion he (quite rightly) was called out on it.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 09:31 PM #67
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Who would have thought it... 1970s humour not funny in 2019? :/

Oooh matron!!!
Old 20-08-2019, 06:47 AM #68
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It's called "negging", it's a pick up technique that saddos who talk about "having game" use to try to chat up girls. On this occasion he (quite rightly) was called out on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Who would have thought it... 1970s humour not funny in 2019? :/

Oooh matron!!!
..yeah totally, it was right to call him out on it...otherwise it would be setting different standards of saying it’s okay for him to do it and insult but not okay for her to call him out on the insult... which would be completely wrong ...it’s so easy to say ‘it was a joke’, type thing...when that ‘joke’ was realised to be in poor and inappropriate taste, as this was...that seems to be the current vogue for many things, I feel...but it’s no ‘joke’ when we think about some very real legislations regarding abortion and how females are still not considered equal I’m some societies...it isn’t a feminist concern, or shouldn’t be...it’s surely a humanist concern...why would anyone not want any female in their life to be in any way, considered equal but rather, ‘lesser’ than any male...?...females and males are equally achieving and that should be celebrated ...I’m assuming also that this is a young male of a similar-ish age to her...so as Kizzy has said, not someone of a 1970 mindset and era, either... in so many ways the world seems to be regressing, sadly....

Last edited by Ammi; 20-08-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:11 AM #69
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..yeah totally, it was right to call him out on it...otherwise it would be setting different standards of saying it’s okay for him to do it and insult but not okay for her to call him out on the insult... which would be completely wrong ...it’s so easy to say ‘it was a joke’, type thing...when that ‘joke’ was realised to be in poor and inappropriate taste, as this was...that seems to be the current vogue for many things, I feel...but it’s no ‘joke’ when we think about some very real legislations regarding abortion and how females are still not considered equal I’m some societies...it isn’t a feminist concern, or shouldn’t be...it’s surely a humanist concern...why would anyone not want any female in their life to be in any way, considered equal but rather, ‘lesser’ than any male...?...females and males are equally achieving and that should be celebrated ...I’m assuming also that this is a young male of a similar-ish age to her...so as Kizzy has said, not someone of a 1970 mindset and era, either... in so many ways the world seems to be regressing, sadly....
the difference being he 'insulted' her in a two way conversation, and she reciprocated by 'calling him out' over the internet, who knows if she actually engaged him in a conversation about it, he might have been quite a normal chap, or maybe not, but at least she would have given him a chance, how often are things we write in a post misinterpreted? yes it was a stupid joke, but he might have been the man of her dreams and she has now binned him off, often when we meet our other halves its not love at first sight kind of thing

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 20-08-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 20-08-2019, 08:12 AM #70
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
of course there is a name for it, there is a name for everything now

Old 20-08-2019, 08:22 AM #71
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

hmm, so all the lady doctors, surgeons, pharmacists, biologists etc etc etc all from a science background, had an easier time of it than men in the way through their education?

Deluded

Education is not about passing exams, it's about the capacity to learn and apply it

Last edited by bitontheslide; 20-08-2019 at 08:25 AM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:23 AM #72
-

-

Quote:
of course there is a name for it, there is a name for everything now
It's not new, Cherie... The "pick up manual" (The Game) is from 2005 and the methods described in it have been around for decades.

If anyone's interested, the basic premise is to "tease" someone by making them out to be unimpressive, in the hopes that it'll play on some insecurity and they will then double down on their efforts to "impress" or catch the attention of the person doing the negging. In other words, baiting someone who wasn't all that interested into "doing the chasing".

It's crappy just like any other pick-up "trick".

I do agree with you though that she should just have shot him down in the chat and blocked. If she wanted to post it as an example of what women have to put up with (which is also fine) she should really have blanked out any names / pictures / other identifying information. It flies a little too close to doxxing otherwise, in my opinion.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:29 AM #73
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's not new, Cherie... The "pick up manual" (The Game) is from 2005 and the methods described in it have been around for decades.

If anyone's interested, the basic premise is to "tease" someone by making them out to be unimpressive, in the hopes that it'll play on some insecurity and they will then double down on their efforts to "impress" or catch the attention of the person doing the negging. In other words, baiting someone who wasn't all that interested into "doing the chasing".

It's crappy just like any other pick-up "trick".

I do agree with you though that she should just have shot him down in the chat and blocked. If she wanted to post it as an example of what women have to put up with (which is also fine) she should really have blanked out any names / pictures / other identifying information. It flies a little too close to doxxing otherwise, in my opinion.
*clings onto Mr C for dear life*, I don't think I could do dating now, I would rather be on my own

Old 20-08-2019, 08:34 AM #74
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
the difference being he 'insulted' her in a two way conversation, and she reciprocated by 'calling him out' over the internet, who knows if she actually engaged him in a conversation about it, he might have been quite a normal chap, or maybe not, but at least she would have given him a chance, how often are things we write in a post misinterpreted? yes it was a stupid joke, but he might have been the man of her dreams and she has now binned him off, often when we meet our other halves its not love at first sight kind of thing
Probably explains why she's still single!

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:44 AM #75
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...she did actually invite him to start chatting and have a two way conversation......but whilst he was waiting, he continued the conversation on his own, undermining her, having a little chat to himself...either assuming that she had been a receptionist or assuming a joke about her being a receptionist was okay...and she did actually say...’this is why I’m single...’....he made his choice, she made hers ...some things are just not meant to be.....

Last edited by Ammi; 20-08-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
app, calls, dating, man, nasa, previous, receptionist, worker, ‘joked’