Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 12-01-2023, 04:39 AM #1
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Default Is Open World killing AAA Video Games?

After playing the abomination that was Sonic Frontiers, Resident Evil: Village, Uncharted 4 (borderline I know) and Red Dead Redemption 2, I can honestly say that Open World Games that aren't RPG's tend to be lacking in quality, and ultimately the franchises in question are losing their identity because this new genre has been thrusted onto them when you're not really agreeing to play an Open World Game, you're agreeing to play a Game from a franchise that you love for totally different reasons to an Open World Game.

Tbf Red Dead Redemption 2 is the only one of the four that I think is a quality product personally, but even that Game has a slow couple of chapters before getting good.

Basically do you think that AAA Video Games bit by bit becoming the same genre and style of Game is a bad thing for the industry? Or do you think it has potential to create better Games than other types of Games and that it's the way forward?

KRO!
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:51 AM #2
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Ahw I loved Resident Evil Village to be fair most RE games are relatively open-world, though Village is the most open.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 12:25 AM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Ahw I loved Resident Evil Village to be fair most RE games are relatively open-world, though Village is the most open.
My main issue with Village is how slow it can be to get to the actual levels.

Plus I did find the Village itself to be incredibly dull.

I did like House Beniviento though.

KRO!
Old 13-01-2023, 06:41 AM #4

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

I enjoyed Village, my biggest gripe was it felt like a step back in the direction of action orientated Resident Evil after RE7 did so well to bring the gameplay and tone back to basics survival horror. Other than the initial village area being quite large I wouldn't say it was much more open than any other RE game though, there was still a set route you had to follow to advance the game.

Also I can't hear any RDR2 slander that was a stunning game
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 11:35 PM #5
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Mock... Only one of those is an open world game, and it's the one that you agreed was a good quality game .

Cant say Ive played or know much about Sonic, but Uncharted 4 and especially Resi VIII are straightforwardly linear narrative driven games? Very confusing!

Anyway. RDR2 is a masterpiece and I also love Resi Village, played it through 5 or 6 times for platinum trophy.

Uncharted I've always been a little on the fence about. Uncharted 2 is a classic but I didn't really rate UC3 at all and I'm 50/50 on 4. But nothing to do with it being open world! Because it isn't...
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 01:24 AM #6

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
Mock... Only one of those is an open world game, and it's the one that you agreed was a good quality game .

Cant say Ive played or know much about Sonic, but Uncharted 4 and especially Resi VIII are straightforwardly linear narrative driven games? Very confusing!

Anyway. RDR2 is a masterpiece and I also love Resi Village, played it through 5 or 6 times for platinum trophy.

Uncharted I've always been a little on the fence about. Uncharted 2 is a classic but I didn't really rate UC3 at all and I'm 50/50 on 4. But nothing to do with it being open world! Because it isn't...
There are segments of Resident Evil Village where you're roaming around vast land, I suppose it could technically count more as Sandbox, but to me I see Sandbox more things like Minecraft and Terraria.

And Uncharted 4 again you are sometimes driving or walking around huge landscapes for chunks of the Game. Which I suppose could be more Sandbox.

Edit... And with Sonic Frontiers I would say it's trying to be like Shadow Of The Colossus, which is just ****ed up for a mainline Sonic title.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 16-01-2023 at 03:35 AM.
Old 16-01-2023, 01:29 AM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan. View Post
I enjoyed Village, my biggest gripe was it felt like a step back in the direction of action orientated Resident Evil after RE7 did so well to bring the gameplay and tone back to basics survival horror. Other than the initial village area being quite large I wouldn't say it was much more open than any other RE game though, there was still a set route you had to follow to advance the game.

RDR2 I think gets really good once it hits chapter 3.

I think I miss the B-Movie style of Resident Evil, which I think has been missing from the series after Resi 6 got panned, I personally think that Capcom thought that it was the B-Movie element that made the Game so controversial.

KRO!
Old 16-01-2023, 06:29 AM #8
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan. View Post

I kind of agree, but I also think the Houses were pretty "survival horror", while the village was more "action". But out of the two, I definitely prefer RE7. Loved them both.

I've not played RE6, is that the one set on a boat?

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 12:35 PM #9
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Uncharted 4 has some "pseudo" open world bits where you can explore but I'd say those are shoehorned in BECAUSE of the popularity of open world games - it's not really an open world. The narrative is still 100% linear, it's just a big ... place ... to move around in to get from one linear mission location to the next. It might as well not be there and I think the game would be better if it wasn't, and it was just a linear game like the previous Uncharted games and TLOU. They did similar with Final Fantasy XIII - shoe-horned in a large open area in place of an "open world map" about 2/3 of the way through the game and ... it's IMO the worst part of the game.

Resi Village I just straight up disagree - you CAN go anywhere at any time and revisit areas but there's absolutely no reason to... it's a pretty straight linear narrative and really a tiny play area. I know it like the back of my hand - you don't get that with most open world games. Really it's no different to having the full run of the police station in Resi 2... you gradually unlock sections and you can go back to any part once it's unlocked, but there's rarely any reason to go anywhere except to your next objective. It's just that it's mostly outdoors rather than in a building.

Quote:

Resi 6 was far too ambitious in scope and the result was a mess... it has FOUR different narratives;

Chris
Leon
Sherry (the little girl from Resi 2 as an adult) and Wesker's son.
Ada (as extra content)

It's set all over the place - though IIRC the Chris playthrough does end on a boat. And Leon is in an infected city at some point... and a University campus... and Chris basically has different missions all over the world.

Like I said I can see what they were going for with the ambitious scope but it's far too much, so basically there's tonnes of content but none of it is particularly good quality. The Chris section is an outright action 3rd person shooter with wildly fluctuating difficulty, fun sometimes and unbearable at other times. Some interesting locations but you literally blow through them guns blazing like Rambo, you don't stop for a second to take any of it in. The Leon part is probably the "best" part but it's nowhere near up to par with Resi 4 or even 5.
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 01:00 AM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I kind of agree, but I also think the Houses were pretty "survival horror", while the village was more "action". But out of the two, I definitely prefer RE7. Loved them both.

The boat one I think is Resi: Revelations.

RE6 had a level with Leon being in China, and you could play as Wesker's Son.

KRO!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
aaa, games, killing, open, video, world