Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 AM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Thoughts on diplomatic immunity..?...

...really with regards to this and whether a waiver should be applied or the immunity upheld..?...

Police chiefs have written to the US embassy in London to demand immunity is waived for an American diplomat’s wife who is a suspect in relation to a fatal road crash.

Nick Adderley, chief constable for Northamptonshire Police, said US authorities had been appealed to in “the strongest terms” to apply a waiver and “allow the justice process to take place” in relation to the woman, who has been named in media reports as 42-year-old Anne Sacoolas.

Northamptonshire Police are leading investigations into a collision that killed 19-year-old Harry Dunn, of Charlton, Banbury, on August 27.

Police said the teenager died after his motorbike collided with a car close to RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire, a military base used by the US Air Force.

Police have said the woman allegedly involved in the accident had left the UK, despite telling officers she did not plan to do so.

The US embassy confirmed the incident had involved a vehicle driven by the spouse of a US diplomat assigned to UK who had departed the country, adding that diplomatic immunity was “rarely waived”.

Responding to a question on Twitter, Mr Adderley confirmed that he and Stephen Mold, Police Fire and Crime Commissioner for Northamptonshire, had contacted the embassy for immunity to be waived.

Referring to the diplomat’s wife, Mr Adderley told the BBC: “During the initial investigation we were given some assurances by the American authorities that she would co-operate fully with the police and… that she would not be leaving the community, and would not be leaving the country, and then the next minute we found out that, actually, she and her family had left.

“So, it was really disappointing.

“Which prompted the letter from me to say we want to see justice done, and the family have a right to see justice done.”

Speaking to Sky News, Harry’s mother Charlotte Charles the family was not coping with their loss.

She said: “We’re literally just getting through hour to hour every day, going with the flow of what we need to do.

“Harry was always one that fought for what he thought was right. We’re honouring him by doing this.

“It’s not much to ask – she’s left a family in complete ruin. We’re broken inside and out – many of us, not just direct parents, but the siblings, the grandparents, aunties, uncles, nieces – we’re all broken.

“We’re just utterly shocked and appalled that somebody has been allowed to get on a plane and go home and avoid our justice system.”

Asked if she had a message for Mrs Sacoolas, Ms Charles said: “Just come home. Come back to us. Come back to the UK.

“We’re not a horrible family. We’re a usual UK family that just need to put a face to what we have now as a name.

“Talk to her, find out how she’s feeling. She’s got to be suffering as well – she’s a mum.

“Without knowing who this person is properly, we can’t begin to try and start our grieving process.”

Speaking of the lengths the family would go to have closure from the incident, Ms Charles said: “If we have to we will go to Washington. We don’t want it to have to come to that, we don’t see why it should have to come to that… we just want to sit and talk with her.

“We just don’t understand how you can just get on a plane and leave behind the devastation she has without even speaking to us or facing us, or an apology of any kind.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-chi...053726782.html

Last edited by Ammi; 07-10-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:01 AM #2
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I think it would be really bad if the US didn't send her back. Horrible thing to do

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 AM #3
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

we are really talking diplomatic immunity, and i think it is very important to ensure the safety of those representing their government overseas that it is maintained no matter the circumstances

The onus in this case should be on America to take appropriate measures to make sure people are responsible for their actions when representing their country, and punish them for breaking that code of conduct as appropriate

Last edited by bitontheslide; 07-10-2019 at 10:11 AM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:10 AM #4

Yes that lady told the Police she was staying in the UK
then went to America.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 AM #5
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

I listened to the boys poor mother yesterday, she needs to be sent back asap, she is obviously guilty of his manslaughter given she took off, this family need justice

Not sure if anyone is watching A confession, but what Becky's family went through to get justice and how the policeman involved was treated makes your blood run cold

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:17 AM #6
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I listened to the boys poor mother yesterday, she needs to be sent back asap, she is obviously guilty of his manslaughter given she took off, this family need justice

Not sure if anyone is watching A confession, but what Becky's family went through to get justice and how the policeman involved was treated makes your blood run cold
What's that about?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:19 AM #7
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
we are really talking diplomatic immunity, and i think it is very important to ensure the safety of those representing their government overseas that it is maintained no matter the circumstances

The onus in this case should be on America to take appropriate measures to make sure people are responsible for their actions when representing their country, and punish them for breaking that code of conduct as appropriate
...ughhhh, the descriptor just escaped me, I’ll change the title ...thank you for your wisdom, which I quite frequently have immunity from, I think...
Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 AM #8
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
What's that about?
Its based on a true story of an abduction and murder of Sian O Callagahan by a taxi driver when she was going home from a girls night out, when he is arrested he offers up that he has another victim and but the police officer didn't rearrest him or read him his rights as they were out of the station and he was taking them to where Sians body was, long story short because he wasn't read his rights and he pleaded guilty to Sians murder, he wasn't convicted for Beckys murder, and the policeman was charged with serious misconduct and was demoted, last part tonight, Morgan Freeman and Imelda Staunton are in it

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 07-10-2019, 10:29 AM #9
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Its based on a true story of an abduction and murder of Sian O Callagahan by a taxi driver when she was going home from a girls night out, when he is arrested he offers up that he has another victim and but the police officer didn't rearrest him or read him his rights as they were out of the station and he was taking them to where Sians body was, long story short because he wasn't read his rights and he pleaded guilty to Sians murder, he wasn't convicted for Beckys murder, and the policeman was charged with serious misconduct and was demoted, last part tonight, Morgan Freeman and Imelda Staunton are in it
Ohh that sounds familiar, was there another show about that a couple of years back?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM #10
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Even if the lady had wanted to stay and help the police, there would have been lawyers involved that would put her straight on the next plane home
Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 AM #11
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Even if the lady had wanted to stay and help the police, there would have been lawyers involved that would put her straight on the next plane home
...yeah I totally get that also and it has made me think whether diplomatic immunity should be something that’s ever applied at all for this type of thing...she should face the law, not the media and the public...
Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 AM #12
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...yeah I totally get that also and it has made me think whether diplomatic immunity should be something that’s ever applied at all for this type of thing...she should face the law, not the media and the public...
the problem is that unless the people get total, unquestionable immunity they are then vulnerable to kidnap, false charges, imprisonment .... thats why it is total immunity. We have the right to expel diplomats as we see fit, but that is the extent of our jurisdiction

Last edited by bitontheslide; 07-10-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:49 AM #13
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
the problem is that unless the people get total, unquestionable immunity they are then vulnerable to kidnap, false charges, imprisonment .... thats why it is total immunity. We have the right to expel diplomats as we see fit, but that is the extent of our jurisdiction
...but a country should have the same right to recall diplomats or their families when a serious crime is known to be have been committed...

Last edited by Ammi; 07-10-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:53 AM #14
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Ohh that sounds familiar, was there another show about that a couple of years back?
Not about this particular case, but the case is not that old I think it happened around 2011

Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM #15
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Not about this particular case, but the case is not that old I think it happened around 2011
hhhmm what's the one I'm thinking of then, the detective broke some sort of protocol and allowed the suspect to bring him to a site where he said the body was dumped or something? I could swear it was a taxi driver and young woman aswell

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:59 AM #16
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
hhhmm what's the one I'm thinking of then, the detective broke some sort of protocol and allowed the suspect to bring him to a site where he said the body was dumped or something? I could swear it was a taxi driver and young woman aswell
oh yeah probably the same case, but I don't think its been dramatized before

Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 AM #17
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

That's why the thread is titled ,thoughts on diplomatic immunity', it wasn't the representative it was his wife, why would she be afforded the same protections?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:01 AM #18
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...but a country should have the same right to recall diplomats or their families when a serious crime is known to be have been committed...
They could only do that by extraditing her if America waived her diplomatic immunity and it's extremely unlikely that America would do that as none of their diplomats would ever feel safe again, and would leave
Old 07-10-2019, 11:07 AM #19
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Was discussing this yesterday, how and why are diplomats above the law? Not just them their family too, you wouldn't expect a representative of a country to reside in another country and not have to abide by their laws...surely?
Even if they abide by yhe laws of their own country that was a crime, I didn't think anyone was above the law.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:13 AM #20
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
They could only do that by extraditing her if America waived her diplomatic immunity and it's extremely unlikely that America would do that as none of their diplomats would ever feel safe again, and would leave
Safe to what..kill people?
You would think that diplomats would have the civility to answer for their crimes, he will no doubt be leaving anyway, it may be some time before this is swept under the carpet and his wife allowed to return here without facing police questioning.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 AM #21
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I guess that it could be argued that it’s potentially more dangerous for to her to have diplomatic immunity...?...because this is now being reported worldwide and everyone knows who she is and that there is a death involved and in the USA, already the social media storms are happening with real hate stuff against her.../...the diplomatic protection is an ‘add on’ to the hate...
Old 07-10-2019, 11:24 AM #22
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Diplomatic immunity has its place, but that place is not when reckless driving leads to a teenager being killed.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:00 PM #23
Banned

Banned

The wife should be made to return and face justice, I don't think immunity should count when it comes to deadly crimes.

In an ideal world we'd be able to pressure the US into sending her back but I imagine our government will be keen to brush this under the carpet since we're gonna be dependant on them if we leave the EU without a deal. Can't upset our new masters, after all.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:31 PM #24

Thank You Anna
at UK CNN Business HQ
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:42 PM #25
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Wow boris and I agree on something! Hallefrigginlujah!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
asylum, diplomatic, immunity, political, thoughts