Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-10-2019, 10:17 AM #1
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Default What do YOU think Extinction Rebellion or similar should be doing?

The environment is one of my only strong convictions when it comes to politics adjacent things, so when I see a group which actively stands for what I believe in pissing everyone off instead of inspiring, I just feel disappointed.

Here's what I would do if I ran such a group:

Stop/limit the building over our countryside and Green Belt
- Destroys animals' habitats
- Builds over farmland - we'll be producing less, so importing more, relying on fuels to bring the stuff in
- Ruins tight-nit communities
- Trees, grass, and other greenery turn carbon dioxide into oxygen.

Stop/limit the expansion of big roads
Basically for most of the above. Bigger roads almost always run alongside woodland or farmland.

Blockade fracking sites
Because of the damage fracking does

Edit: and of course
Encourage re-forestation

Last edited by Oliver_W; 13-10-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 11:05 AM #2
Sod orf

Sod orf

Let's see what the Boomers say.

Climate kids, when pointing fingers, just remember. It was our generation that introduced re-cycling to keep up with the demand of consumption from your generation.

When we were kids the only fast food was the local chippy and it came wrapped in newspaper not a polystyrene case. Our energy drink was Lucozade and it came in a glass bottle that we would take back to the shop to re-cycle. We walked or biked to School or work and didn't ask mum or dad to drive us because it was raining and we didn't want to get wet.

We had hand me down clothes and used a payphone if we needed to make a call. We remember power cuts on a regular basis and played board games and read by candlelight. Our homes had single glazed windows that would ice up in winter and we shared our bedrooms that were so cold you could see your breath, with our brothers or sisters. We didn't have central heating.

Have you ever had to use somebody else's bath water after they have finished? We have.

We didn't have TVs in our bedrooms left on standby 24 hours a day or mobile devices that have to be charged if the battery drops below 80%.

Our holidays were in the UK in tents not in ibiza and we didn't get there by plane.

It is you that is the mass consumer that demands the latest phone, fashion, fast food, holidays and transportation. So point the finger of blame at yourselves, you self-indulgent, needy, greedy, ignorant, unapologetic, rude, selfish generation.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 11:06 AM #3

They should go through the Green Party

They are a Bunch of Nutters
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 11:38 AM #4
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post

Climate kids, when pointing fingers, just remember. It was our generation that introduced re-cycling to keep up with the demand of consumption from your generation.

When we were kids the only fast food was the local chippy and it came wrapped in newspaper not a polystyrene case. Our energy drink was Lucozade and it came in a glass bottle that we would take back to the shop to re-cycle. We walked or biked to School or work and didn't ask mum or dad to drive us because it was raining and we didn't want to get wet.

We had hand me down clothes and used a payphone if we needed to make a call. We remember power cuts on a regular basis and played board games and read by candlelight. Our homes had single glazed windows that would ice up in winter and we shared our bedrooms that were so cold you could see your breath, with our brothers or sisters. We didn't have central heating.

Have you ever had to use somebody else's bath water after they have finished? We have.

We didn't have TVs in our bedrooms left on standby 24 hours a day or mobile devices that have to be charged if the battery drops below 80%.

Our holidays were in the UK in tents not in ibiza and we didn't get there by plane.

It is you that is the mass consumer that demands the latest phone, fashion, fast food, holidays and transportation. So point the finger of blame at yourselves, you self-indulgent, needy, greedy, ignorant, unapologetic, rude, selfish generation.
Stick a picture of a minion on this post and it could be a terrible facebook boomer meme.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 11:45 AM #5
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Stick a picture of a minion on this post and it could be a terrible facebook boomer meme.
Haha! This is true, but a lot could be said for shrinking down "consumer culture", and I honestly wouldn't hate it if all home-based technology was dialled back 10-15 years.

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 11:46 AM #6
Banned

Banned

The Extinction Rebellion has to rely on disruption because there's not a whole lot they can do. They can't really control development in the countryside or stop roads from being expanded, both are excellent ideas but they have to be taken on board by the government and councils and they don't want to listen to traditional protests. Blocking Fracking sites is a good idea that they could do (And they probably do).

The problem is that the government only care about the environment superficially. I think a lot of people bemoaning the Extinction Rebellion are generally missing the point of it. Normal protests don't work, you've got to cause some disruption and given the people in power a reason to pay attention if you want them to listen.
Old 13-10-2019, 11:46 AM #7
Sod orf

Sod orf

Will people go without the PlayStation 5 to save the planet? Will you?

Will Brits holiday in the UK to save the planet? Will you?

I will, I already do, and I couldn't give a sh1te about climate change.
Old 13-10-2019, 11:47 AM #8
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

They should be running adverts on TV and in cinema educating the public on how to reduce their impact with simple doable everyday measures, not advocating people to STOP FLYING (while flying in yourself from the other side of the world ) causing nuisance and traffic jams and inexplicably targetting public transport

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 11:50 AM #9
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Then the last 5 words of that piece identify you perfectly.
Old 13-10-2019, 11:51 AM #10
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:

Again, how old are you exactly? Next thing you'll be telling us about the blitz

All these things were not out of choice. People couldn't do it any other way.
Not to mention that if you're playing blame game older generations would have to take responsibility for dirty industrialisation too
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 11:51 AM #11
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Thats the problem isn’t it, standing around hand wringing and expecting someone else to do something, while carrying on with business as usual, its up to every individual to look at their own habits and dial it back if they are really serious about helping the planet

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 13-10-2019, 11:52 AM #12
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Haha! This is true, but a lot could be said for shrinking down "consumer culture", and I honestly wouldn't hate it if all home-based technology was dialled back 10-15 years.
Yeah, the phone industry in particular could do with slowing down although it never will, like with the fashion industry, it encourages disposable products that have an adverse effect on the environment.

The gaming industry is a good example of how to do things, I feel. Each generation is getting longer and consoles don't tend to get disposed of because of a collector culture that turns every console and game into a collectable. I doubt there's many older consoles (that aren't completely broken) that are sitting in landfills.
Old 13-10-2019, 11:53 AM #13
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post

Not to mention that if you're playing blame game older generations would have to take responsibility for dirty industrialisation too
Read properly.

I say at the top, "what the Boomers say." This isn't me saying it. Stop trying to make it out as though I'm saying it, I'm just passing on the message.

Last edited by Alf; 13-10-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 13-10-2019, 11:54 AM #14
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Thats the problem isn’t it, standing around hand wringing and expecting someone else to do something, while carrying on with business as usual, its up to every individual to look at their own habits and dial it back if they are really serious about helping the planet
Another self-appointed oracle
What do you do except for sarky comments about the protesters?
Old 13-10-2019, 11:55 AM #15
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Read properly.

I say at the top, "what the Boomers say." This isn't me saying it. Stop trying to make it out as though I'm saying it, I'm just passing on the message.
The rest of my post still stands
Old 13-10-2019, 11:55 AM #16
Banned

Banned

Quote:

The problem with power usage isn't the amount of power used, it's the kind of power used. If renewable energy became the prime power source then it wouldn't matter to the environment if people used electronics or not. It's the use of fossil fuels that are the problem so your attempt to shame younger generations has pretty much fallen on it's face.
Old 13-10-2019, 11:56 AM #17
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Another self-appointed oracle
What do you do except for sarky comments about the protesters?
Practice what you preach about personal remarks maybe?

I’m no oracle, just talking common sense

Old 13-10-2019, 11:57 AM #18
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
The problem with power usage isn't the amount of power used, it's the kind of power used. If renewable energy became the prime power source then it wouldn't matter to the environment if people used electronics or not. It's the use of fossil fuels that are the problem so your attempt to shame younger generations has pretty much fallen on it's face.
That piece I posted was aimed at my generation too. So your observations are wrong again.
Old 13-10-2019, 12:00 PM #19

Quote:

Tbf.....I am 43 and remember a lot of that from my childhood (not all but a lot). Most households only had 1 car (if they were lucky), I never holidayed abroad till I was 18, but what posts like that don't say is a lot of homes still had coal fires pumping out into the air etc

Last edited by AnnieK; 13-10-2019 at 12:01 PM.
AnnieK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 12:00 PM #20
Banned

Banned

Quote:
That piece I posted was aimed at my generation too. So your observations are wrong again.
If that's all you're focusing on from that post then you've missed the point, as always.
Old 13-10-2019, 12:02 PM #21
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Tbf.....I am 43 and remember a lot of that from ky childhood (not all but a lot). Mist households only had 1 car (if they were lucky), I never holidayed abroad till I was 18, but what posts like that don't say is a lot of homes still had coal fires pumping out into the air etc
They may have had coal fires, but they didn't whine about it and tell everybody else that they need to Change their ways because they're killing the people and the planet.
Old 13-10-2019, 12:04 PM #22
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
If that's all you're focusing on from that post then you've missed the point, as always.
I posted a message from a boomer online, and somehow, you've tried to turn it on me.

You just want to argue with me, don't you?
Old 13-10-2019, 12:10 PM #23

Quote:
They may have had coal fires, but they didn't whine about it and tell everybody else that they need to Change their ways because they're killing the people and the planet.
They didn't whine Alf, because we were unaware of the serious impact it was having on the planet. What people are trying to do now is educate....the planet is dying part because of what we did back in the day. If we want future generations to thrive, we need to start making changes again and quickly

Last edited by AnnieK; 13-10-2019 at 12:11 PM.
AnnieK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 12:12 PM #24
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
They didn't whine Alf, because we were unaware of the serious impact it was having on the planet Alf. What people are trying to do now is educate....the planet is dying part because of what we did back in the day. If we want future generations to thrive, we need to start making changes again and quickly
There were death cults around then too. Go look them up, you'll see a resemblance to the ones we see now.
Old 13-10-2019, 12:17 PM #25

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

According to LBC,this morning Britain is only responsible for 2% of climate change so we are doing something right, these people should target China and the like as if they and similar countries don't comply,what we are doing is absolutely useless, or maybe they could go and clear the beaches etc of rubbish and plastic,they would be sending out a message and doing some good,I think most of us know the planet is in a mess,but if some people don't give a ****,its pointless trying to save it, the planet would probably thrive better without us anyway.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
extinction, rebellion, similar