Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 105,670
Default France on National Strike over Pension Reductions

https://news.sky.com/story/france-to...egins-11878533


Macron
is in trouble over this move.


[Travellers heading to and from
France face five days of chaos
due to a general strike across the country.
French public sector workers
began the walkouts on
Thursday over French President
Emmanuel Macron's plans to
reform the nation's pension system.
Flights, trains and buses are being
hit by the biggest wave of industrial
action the country has faced for decades.]
arista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
LeatherTrumpet
Stick it to da MAN
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68,492


Default

When are they not on strike

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
The Slim Reaper
Pain to my sham friends
 
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 5,858
Default

Just go in 6 days time.
__________________


Spoiler:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I think he was one of the best members we ever had here. Funny, intelligent and frustrating and really very kind. I hope he comes back.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
Captain.Remy
Nah
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: France.
Posts: 27,089


Default

lmao we're always on strike, so it's not like it's anything unusual to us.
Yellow vests, lawyers, students etc etc etc You name it, it's on strike.

Today almost no train or public transport worked in the whole country. I had to work from home and let it watch burn. I'm not even watching the news because this is ridiculous.
And I could not care less about the reform, it's not a bad one actually. Let them eat cake!
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 105,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
lmao we're always on strike, so it's not like it's anything unusual to us.
Yellow vests, lawyers, students etc etc etc You name it, it's on strike.

Today almost no train or public transport worked in the whole country. I had to work from home and let it watch burn. I'm not even watching the news because this is ridiculous.
And I could not care less about the reform, it's not a bad one actually. Let them eat cake!

Same thing in 1995 in France.

Nice to hear from you Capt. Remy Sir.
arista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40,330


Default

Good for them France is not a nation of appeasers! They fight for their rights, I wish to God we were more like them.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 105,670
Default





France gets a Photo on two newspapers/

Meanwhile
Macron demands Pension Reform and Cuts.

Last edited by arista; 06-12-2019 at 12:45 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 105,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Good for them France is not a nation of appeasers! They fight for their rights, I wish to God we were more like them.

No Kizzy its not out way
France has more Angry Farmers
and more are now poor.
arista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40,330


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
No Kizzy its not out way
France has more Angry Farmers
and more are now poor.
Yes arista...we have more poor everyone... The PM today said he would block strikes on public transport. So that's workers rights tampered with post brexit.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
LeatherTrumpet
Stick it to da MAN
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68,492


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Yes arista...we have more poor everyone... The PM today said he would block strikes on public transport. So that's workers rights tampered with post brexit.
great news no one providing a public service should be allowed to strike
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40,330


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
great news no one providing a public service should be allowed to strike
Bus and rail travel are not public services, they're owned and operated by private enterprise.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #12
LeatherTrumpet
Stick it to da MAN
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68,492


Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Bus and rail travel are not public services, they're owned and operated by private enterprise.
public transport

trains, busses
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #13
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 45,495
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Bus and rail travel are not public services, they're owned and operated by private enterprise.
Its a bit more complicated than that, for instance in London

Is London transport in the public sector? ... Technically, Transport for London is a private company that's wholly owned by the government. It's responsible for enacting the mayor's transport strategy as a whole, across a number of different transportation modes
__________________
So practice what you preach!
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
LeatherTrumpet
Stick it to da MAN
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68,492


Default

any company that knows as the public rely on it to get to work etc and strike based on that reason should be targetted

They strike for that cynical reason

its disgusting
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40,330


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Its a bit more complicated than that, for instance in London

Is London transport in the public sector? ... Technically, Transport for London is a private company that's wholly owned by the government. It's responsible for enacting the mayor's transport strategy as a whole, across a number of different transportation modes
It isnt 'owned by the government' ...it's owned by us! The PM works for us, it's not complicated.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #16
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40,330


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
any company that knows as the public rely on it to get to work etc and strike based on that reason should be targetted

They strike for that cynical reason

its disgusting
Nobody goes on strike for fun.. It's for safety, pay or conditions. That is perfectly legitimate no matter what sector you're in.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #17
LeatherTrumpet
Stick it to da MAN
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68,492


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Nobody goes on strike for fun.. It's for safety, pay or conditions. That is perfectly legitimate no matter what sector you're in.
rather funny that its a certain type of job that keeps going on strike?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40,330


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
public transport

trains, busses
Public transport. .not public service there's a very big difference.

Public toilet...
Public library..
Anything that is for the public is called public :/
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #19
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40,330


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
rather funny that its a certain type of job that keeps going on strike?
Not funny at all, if safety is compromised then it should be expected.. they have PUBLIC safety to think about.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #20
LeatherTrumpet
Stick it to da MAN
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68,492


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Not funny at all, if safety is compromised then it should be expected.. they have PUBLIC safety to think about.
yes i believe they have stooped to trying that old trick thankfully that has been addressed by the rail company.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #21
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 45,495
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
It isnt 'owned by the government' ...it's owned by us! The PM works for us, it's not complicated.
just two posts up you said this

Bus and rail travel are not public services, they're owned and operated by private enterprise.


now the public own it....make your mind up!
__________________
So practice what you preach!
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #22
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40,330


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
yes i believe they have stooped to trying that old trick thankfully that has been addressed by the rail company.
Old trick? ... is that how you see this, how odd.
So they can compromise public safety, the public who pay extortionate ticket prices in some cases? All the while creaming off millions on profits. If that's ethical corprate practice to you that's fine.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #23
LeatherTrumpet
Stick it to da MAN
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68,492


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Old trick? ... is that how you see this, how odd.
So they can compromise public safety, the public who pay extortionate ticket prices in some cases? All the while creaming off millions on profits. If that's ethical corprate practice to you that's fine.
Its business. When you sell and car i expect you try to get the best price you can and not an "ethical price".

when you buy things you try to get the best deal you can?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #24
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40,330


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
just two posts up you said this

Bus and rail travel are not public services, they're owned and operated by private enterprise.


now the public own it....make your mind up!
Obviously it depends who are striking, in the rest of the country we don't have publicly owned (not government owned) services.

In London should that still be the case then they should have the right to strike, they are not emergency public services it would endanger life for them to strike.
It would remove hard fought rights to prevent this action if the trade union called for it.

It shows a creeping autocracy taking the power from the workers and placing it in the hands of the govt. For me this smacks of wanting a nation of proles who have no option but to bend at will.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #25
Kizzy
Cool mom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40,330


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Its business. When you sell and car i expect you try to get the best price you can and not an "ethical price".

when you buy things you try to get the best deal you can?
You can't run an economy on the cheap.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
france, national, pension, reductions, strike

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:31 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts