Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Closed Thread

Old 20-12-2019, 11:26 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Sexism, racism and homophobia aren't the only thing people face in this world. No matter race, religion, sexuality, gender, **** happens and life isn't easy. White males do face racism, this is just fact. White straight males are not immune to rape, to murder, to bullying. They're not immune depression, anxiety, cancer, disease. Straight white males may not face homophobia, granted, but they do face hate crimes, they do face sexism and they also face plenty of struggles. Just like everyone else.
You've just illustrated my point... whataboutery.

Nobody said sexism, racism and homophobia are the only things people face....YOU just brought that up.

Just as anytime those issues or discussions are raised are met by "But I go through this...." as though having a victim complex and can't just accept that in some ways you are more fortunate to be born one way rather than another.

EVERYONE goes through things, but a white person bleating about how hard done by they are by having white skin or a straight person about the difficulty they face due to their sexuality or a man about the sexism they face is actually gross.

Can a white person face racism? Yeah sure. Can a straight person receive abuse for being straight? Probably. Do men ever hear derogatory things about their gender? Yes.
Does that mean straight white men are a sidelined minority in society who face these discriminations at every turn in life? No it bloody doesn't.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:27 PM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
All ethnicities are equally "privileged" now
Not enough facepalms in the world for this.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:28 PM #53

Quote:
Living on a council estate doesn't excuse using slurs. All ethnicities are equally "privileged" now, so there's no punching up when it comes to racism.
I didn't say anything about living on a council estate. I was saying that those words would generally be used by people of colour who have to worry about how people are going to treat them every day. Even the richest people of colour can feel targeted and want to retaliate with words like that.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:29 PM #54
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Not enough facepalms in the world for this.
We are though?

Facepalming isn't a rebuttal, having more melanin in one's skin won't touch their life any more.

Old 20-12-2019, 11:29 PM #55

Quote:

Nobody said sexism, racism and homophobia are the only things people face....YOU just brought that up.

Just as anytime those issues or discussions are raised are met by "But I go through this...." as though having a victim complex and can't just accept that in some ways you are more fortunate to be born one way rather than another.

EVERYONE goes through things, but a white person bleating about how hard done by they are by having white skin or a straight person about the difficulty they face due to their sexuality or a man about the sexism they face is actually gross.

Can a white person face racism? Yeah sure. Can a straight person receive abuse for being straight? Probably. Do men ever hear derogatory things about their gender? Yes.
Does that mean straight white men are a sidelined minority in society who face these discriminations at every turn in life? No it bloody doesn't.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:29 PM #56

Quote:
We are though?

Facepalming isn't a rebuttal, having more melanin in one's skin won't touch their life any more.
Facepalming is the only response to this ignorant bollocks. I won't bother educating you if you won't educate yourself.

Last edited by Marsh.; 20-12-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:30 PM #57

Quote:
We are though?

This is the most ignorant thing I've seen anyone say in a long time.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:32 PM #58
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Facepalming is the only response to this ignorant bollocks. I won't bother educating you if you won't educate yourself.
You're just saying "you're wrong" without elaborating, there's no reason to think ethnicity has any bearing on one's life anymore, it's not the 1950s.

Old 20-12-2019, 11:32 PM #59
IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Quote:
You're just saying "you're wrong" without elaborating, there's no reason to think ethnicity has any bearing on one's life anymore, it's not the 1950s.
Dear me.

Old 20-12-2019, 11:33 PM #60

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Favourites:

Quote:

No i haven't illustrated your point, your argument is this 'white privilege' which doesn't exist in the real world, it may exist in super wealth, but not in every day life, for every day people. Im not moaning that 'i go through this, i go through that because im white' im merely pointing out no one really has it worse than anyone else nowadays, every race, every religion, every gender, they all face struggles and hardship.

My point is this 'f u for being a white man you're scum by default' is not only racist, sexism and against what diversity stands for, it's also extremely damaging for society. All it does is divides us further when isn't the goal accepting all colours, creeds, religion, people?
Old 20-12-2019, 11:34 PM #61
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

The only kind of "privilege" which exists any more is wealth. Gender and ethnicity don't make a difference. A BAME person could have had my exact same life up until this point, and nothing at all would be different.

Old 20-12-2019, 11:35 PM #62

Quote:
No i haven't illustrated your point, your argument is this 'white privilege' which doesn't exist in the real world, it may exist in super wealth, but not in every day life, for every day people. Im not moaning that 'i go through this, i go through that because im white' im merely pointing out no one really has it worse than anyone else nowadays, every race, every religion, every gender, they all face struggles and hardship.

My point is this 'f u for being a white man you're scum by default' is not only racist, sexism and against what diversity stands for, it's also extremely damaging for society. All it does is divides us further when isn't the goal accepting all colours, creeds, religion, people?
You are illustrating my point. NOBODY said that everyone doesn't have struggles.
NOBODY said white men are scum by default.

Are your struggles based on the colour of your skin, your sexuality or your gender? No. So jumping onto the sexism, homophobia and racism with a "WHAT ABOUT ME?" is irrelevant and gross.

The fact I have to actually explain that is kind of ridiculous.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:36 PM #63

Quote:
The only kind of "privilege" which exists any more is wealth. Gender and ethnicity don't make a difference. A BAME person could have had my exact same life up until this point, and nothing at all would be different.
"Could" well great, good to know they "could". Because your experiences and your life are obviously the same for everyone the world over.

Last edited by Marsh.; 20-12-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:39 PM #64

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
You are illustrating my point. NOBODY said that everyone doesn't have struggles.
NOBODY said white men are scum by default.

Are your struggles based on the colour of your skin, your sexuality or your gender? No. So jumping onto the sexism, homophobia and racism with a "WHAT ABOUT ME?" is irrelevant and gross.

The fact I have to actually explain that is kind of ridiculous.
Ok then, as we're not understanding each other here, are you saying that a homosexual will be subject to more abuse in life because of their sexuality?

It's got NOTHING to do with 'WHAT ABOUT ME' it's about being equal.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:41 PM #65

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

The day straight couples are scared to hold hands in the street is the day I listen to straights giving lectures about the easiness of the lives of homosexuals, please and thankyou.

Last edited by Liam-; 20-12-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:41 PM #66

Quote:
Ok then, as we're not understanding each other here, are you saying that a homosexual will be subject to more abuse in life because of their sexuality?

It's got NOTHING to do with 'WHAT ABOUT ME' it's about being equal.
More abuse as in homophobia? Well, yes. That much is obvious.

Are you saying you experience more homophobia than someone who isn't straight? I hardly think so.

Would you claim you experience more sexism than women? I doubt it.

Do you experience racism more than a non-white person? Again, I doubt it.

It is about "WHAT ABOUT ME?" as you brought depression and illness etc into the discussion. Who told you non-white, non-straight and females are the only people who can get ill?

Last edited by Marsh.; 20-12-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:45 PM #67

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
The day straight couples are scared to hold hands in the street is the day I listen to the straights giving lectures about the easiness of the lives of homosexuals, please and thankyou.
Who said it was easy being gay? I certainly didn't, stop twisting peoples words. And i agree there are certain place in Britain, in Europe and all over the world where a gay couple holding hands is frowned upon. I mean i wouldn't recommend a gay couple holding hands in any of the Muslim communities in Britain, same goes for some Christian communities. People in general have no problem with a persons sexuality, religion however does.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:48 PM #68
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Gender and ethnicity dont make a difference? Are you unwell?
You are confusing aspiration with reality. And not even universal aspiration at that.
It's embarrassing to even explain this to you, you're a grown up man, not a child high on fairytale stories
Old 20-12-2019, 11:50 PM #69

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
More abuse as in homophobia? Well, yes. That much is obvious.

Are you saying you experience more homophobia than someone who isn't straight? I hardly think so.

Would you claim you experience more sexism than women? I doubt it.

Do you experience racism more than a non-white person? Again, I doubt it.

It is about "WHAT ABOUT ME?" as you brought depression and illness etc into the discussion. Who told you non-white, non-straight and females are the only people who can get ill?
No.

No.

I have had my fair share of racism growing up on a London council estate that was predominantly black, yes.

But my argument is this white male privileged, which on the whole is a myth, and in order for us to progress this ridiculous terminology needs to stop. All it does is create a bigger divide and we end up with morons like Trump, and Johnson at the helm!
Old 20-12-2019, 11:51 PM #70
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Two strategies employed by certain ideologies on display here
1. Discrimination does not exist
2. But the majority is also discriminated against

Take your pick, the post truth world is here
Old 20-12-2019, 11:52 PM #71

It's extremely sad when you realise that there are people who don't have any minorities in their lives who they care about or pay attention to.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:53 PM #72
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Gender and ethnicity dont make a difference? Are you unwell?
You are confusing aspiration with reality. And not even universal aspiration at that.
It's embarrassing to even explain this to you, you're a grown up man, not a child high on fairytale stories
You've not explained anything, just contradicted.
People of both genders and all ethnicities have the same opportunities in life. In what way would it make a difference any more?
Apart from obvious things like if a woman wanted to be a sperm doner or footballer

Old 20-12-2019, 11:53 PM #73

Quote:
No.

No.

I have had my fair share of racism growing up on a London council estate that was predominantly black, yes.

But my argument is this white male privileged, which on the whole is a myth, and in order for us to progress this ridiculous terminology needs to stop. All it does is create a bigger divide and we end up with morons like Trump, and Johnson at the helm!
Are you saying you're white and black people were racist towards you?
Old 20-12-2019, 11:53 PM #74

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Two strategies employed by certain ideologies on display here
1. Discrimination does not exist
2. But the majority is also discriminated against

Take your pick, the post truth world is here
1. Incorrect.

2. Correct.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:55 PM #75

Quote:
No.

No.

A myth? Explain how so.

Because being white doesn't make you immune to depression so it means racism doesn't exist? That's a false equivalency.

Last edited by Marsh.; 20-12-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
diversity, tibband