Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 13-02-2020, 03:37 PM #26
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Evil View Post
Season 1 Ep2: The Detail

Ok so when Prezbo fires his gun in the office I was in stitches . He’s just instantly hated now by the lieutenant.

Also enjoyed the chicken nugget scene with D’Angelo basically explaining the truth about capitalism and giving them some proper knowledge how “it’s about money”. I love his line “You think Ronald McDonald gonna go down to that basement and say hey Mr nugget, you da bomb. We’re selling chicken faster than you can tear the bone out, so I’m gonna write my clowny ass name on this fat ass check for you” . It shows that D is actually quite intelligent in a different way compared to the other soldiers and I could imagine if he wasn’t in ‘the game’ he could probably make something of himself. It also kinda shows how those that work at the bottom tend to stay there whilst the ‘real players’ reap the rewards and it can kinda be applied to the Barksdale organisation as well. I also found Wallace’s reply to that comment quite innocent as well when he says ”still had the idea though”.

Also liked the part where Bubbles was making people try on hats but was helping Kima get pictures. He’s a pretty good snitch to be fair and it was a smart move to use coloured hats so they could work out the big players in the organisation.

That scene where D was being interrogated was intense. It was clearly showing how he’s got more of a conscience compared to others in the organisation which reinforces there opinion of him being weak and not really cut out for the game. They almost broke him until his lawyer came storming through.

The part at the end was also intense when Prez, Herc and Carver went down to the towers. Why did they do that? I loved how LT Daniels thought of that excuse for Prez on the spot. It just goes to show how bad corruption can be in the police force and things that a majority of us don’t really see. I understand that Daniels is just protecting his own but they have a huge amount of responsibility yet they don’t enforce themselves?
Great Review

The hat trick is another true story. It was one of Ed Burns snitches - who Bubbles is loosely based on - who had a photographic memory for faces.

I have trouble with this episode as it mainly concentrates of the cops.
A great trivia question - How many times does a police Officer fire their gun in the entire series Answer - three, and strangely its the same character all three times, Prez. Twice in this episode and once more in a season three episode.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 03:46 PM #27
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Season 1 Ep 3: The Buys

Seems like McNulty’s words really resonated with D’Angelo a bit in that opening scene when he says that the police will be down the projects because of the bodies.

Then my favourite scene so far the chess scene. It’s just such a great analogy as to how things seem to be playing out in the show and I’m now starting to wonder as to who is what piece?

Avon = King
Stringer = Queen
Stash = Castle
Pawns = Stinkum? Wee-Bay? D’Angelo
Smart ass pawn who makes it to the end = ?

What I did enjoy as well is that from this Bodie is sort of seeing D’Angelo as a bit of a mentor figure here and maybe his teachings will stick with Bodie when he’s in a similar position to D’Angelo.

Another interesting thing with D’Angelo is when he comes to Stringer with the amount of money he’s made in the pit. We kinda ask that question again ‘Is D cut out for the game’ I mean, he made a significant amount of money in the pit that Stringer has recognised and states that it’s an improvement of who was in charge previously. So it looks like D has aspects to be cut out in this line of work but his morals are sort of conflicting him. He really does seem to be torn between two worlds?

Did enjoy that part with Kima and McNulty when he says “I wonder what you’ve gotta do to get thrown of this police force” and her responding “keep up with some of your **** you just might find out”

Then the stash gets robbed by Omar and I just loved the delivery of his lines
“Where it at mang?” And then Brandon said his name!? Omg why did he do that? And why the heck did D’Angelo head out for food when a re up was on the way?

Also at the end we find out that LT Daniels is ‘dirty’. What a surprise
Nice review

This is where it gets cracking. I usually wind thru ep 2 just to get to ep 3. The best character is introduced - Omar Devon Little.

The stick up scene is one I can watch over and over. Great lines - Where it at Shorty. I miss the days of calling people shorty.

Chess scene - Great too.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
Old 13-02-2020, 03:54 PM #28
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Season 1 Ep 4: Old Cases

So I have to start off with that scene where Bunk and McNulty are reinvestigating the crime scene of Kresson and they just communicate by only using the word ‘fook’. I just found that to be such a bizarre scene but I loved how they managed to recreate the events of the murder so efficiently and find new evidence which was missed previously. It really highlighted their friendship and how united they are.

What was also quite interesting as well was the scene with D’Angelo, Poot, Bodie and Wallace with D telling them the story of him killing Kresson. It’s like Bodie senses that D was bull****ting a bit I don’t know I just kinda got that vibe from Bodie and his reaction after D told that story?

Back to the beginning of the episode and we had that scene where they were trying to fit the desk through the door was hilarious. It’s like a battle of egos or something with no one actually making any progress in getting the desk through the door .

Bubbles again he’s just seriously underrated as a police informant. When Bubbles is telling Kima about Omar and ‘no heart Anthony’, discussing Omar’s plans on the street, honestly I think the cops would be missing a lot of pieces to the puzzle if it wasn’t for Bubbles.

I’m really liking Freamon as well. I like how Bunk pointed out that he is ‘natural police’. He just seems like one of those really cool ‘old school’ detectives and it’s kinda funny when he’s telling McNulty his story because it’s almost like McNulty is heading down a similar path? He asks McNulty ‘where he doesn’t want to go’ and warns him if he’s ever asked the question by one of his superiors, to not answer honestly.
I call this the Alpha episode. Bodie and D trying to out 'hard' each other. I think it been established that D was lying about Kresson and it was Bey who killed her.

Is this the episode where Stringer visits the pit suspecting they got a snitch? Its either this or next. Great acting by idris. Anyone who says Idris cant act, watch the Wire. He's fantastic thru out.

The story Freamon tells McNulty of the elderly woman stabbed in her home that got him run out of Homicide is another true story.

EDIT: Sorry just checked, its the next episode where Stringer visits the pit.

Quote:

Last edited by GiRTh; 13-02-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 13-02-2020, 04:06 PM #29
The other Shaun :)

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Maura
CBB22: Ryan Thomas

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
Great Review

The hat trick is another true story. It was one of Ed Burns snitches - who Bubbles is loosely based on - who had a photographic memory for faces.

I have trouble with this episode as it mainly concentrates of the cops.
A great trivia question - How many times does a police Officer fire their gun in the entire series Answer - three, and strangely its the same character all three times, Prez. Twice in this episode and once more in a season three episode.
Thanks GiRTh

Pretty cool that turned out to be a true story. It’s just really clever how it’s so simple if that makes sense? It reinforces how important Bubbles is to the case they’re trying to build since without his knowledge they would be pretty far behind.

I do tend to find the police scenes a little difficult to follow sometimes but after watching this episode again I managed to see things a little more clearer. I did like Lester’s introduction in this episode, had this sort of mysteriousness to it and me thinking ‘there’s a lot more to this guy than what I’m seeing at the moment’.

Kinda funny how Prez is the only cop to fire his gun throughout the whole series

Last edited by Dogeatdog; 13-02-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Dogeatdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 04:16 PM #30

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
Nice review

This is where it gets cracking. I usually wind thru ep 2 just to get to ep 3. The best character is introduced - Omar Devon Little.

The stick up scene is one I can watch over and over. Great lines - Where it at Shorty. I miss the days of calling people shorty.

Chess scene - Great too.
Omar is incredible and the stick up scene for me as well is one I can watch again and again. Just the delivery of his lines and the intensity of the whole scene it’s some really great acting. (Didn’t see it the first time but notice Poot throwing up afterwards )

I did enjoy Wee-Bay schooling D’Angelo in the next part “No, thinking is what you wasn’t doing and now we look like bitches. We gotta come back on em and you can’t tell me $hit about who they was”.

Edit: and the way he pronounces sandwich. ”you in a goddamn sammich shop”

Last edited by Dogeatdog; 13-02-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 19-02-2020, 12:15 AM #31

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Season 1 Ep 5: The Pager

Omar had a real eye for detail when he was robbing the east side boys. He knew exactly where they was gonna run too and where to position Brandon (and the other guy who was with them). That whistle Omar does when he was walking down the road, I love that feature to his character. Just to add here as I missed it the first time round they got the other person that Omar and Brandon was with. I only just clocked that in the scene with Avon & Stringer when they told Stinkum about running a new corner for them and Avon gets that page saying that job was done.

The cops but are also starting to realise how well the Barksdale Organization is set up. When Prezbo cracked the code (which I didn’t expect from him ) shows how carefully thought out their operation is and the lengths they go to to not be figured out but you have to give credit to the cops also as they are beginning to get in deeper in their investigation.

Avon’s cautiousness was shown as well when he said “be a little slow, be a little late”. He makes sure that he does his best to stay ahead and it is a reminder that no one not even himself ‘the king’ can be too comfortable in the game.

The scene with D, Bodie and Poot when Bodie through that bottle at Wallace. You could see D admiring Wallace’s innocence when he was playing with that toy. He really doesn’t like that tough love approach that Bodie showed when he threw that bottle.

Stringers bit when he was telling D that they suspect a snitch and coming up with that idea of how to suss them out was very clever. Really reinforces him as being the ‘queen’, the ‘go get **** done piece’. The way he caught Poot on the phone as well, he’s very precautious and I definitely believe he was responsible for implementing the code on the pagers.

We see more of McNultys problems rising to the surface in this episode to. His issues with the mother surrounding his kids as well as his drinking. I did lol a bit when he was tying to put that furniture together whilst drinking and just gave up

Bodie’s interrogation with Herc & Carver was a great scene. Bodie sussed out the ‘good cop bad cop’ technique that they were using. The way that scene was so calm and then escalated to Bodie getting beat down was madness. Then we see them almost bonding at that pool table when they’re waiting for Bodie to be transferred. Very interesting how that was going from one direction to another.

Finally the arcade scene and Brandon is spotted. There was literally no messing around, everyone was quick to respond to each other there was no way they were gonna let Brandon slip away. The look Wee-Bay has in the car, he was ready for Brandon and out for revenge for robbing the stash. I can’t believe though that the wires were going crazy and yet none of the officers were there to witness it.

Old 19-02-2020, 12:18 AM #32

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Season 1 Ep 6: The Wire

That opening of seeing Brandon’s body mutilated like that was horrific. Barksdale wanted to make sure that a clear message was sent for anyone that tries to rob them, Avon really didn’t mess around when he said he wanted those responsible to be displayed in the most gruesome way possible. What was also sad though was Wallace’s reaction, he was devasted that his actions caused such a cruel death. In the scene afterwards with D, it seriously freaked him out and now he’s really struggling how to deal with it because he’s young and innocent and has never been so central to a situation like that before. We’re now beginning to see how he is parallel to D’Angelo and shares the same opinions and doesn’t agree with certain aspects of the game?

I’m just loving Fraemons work in this case. I just love his eye for detail, he really is ‘natural police’ and I’m enjoying his mentorship of Prez. You can that there is a mutual respect developing between these two, Fraemons is at the moment my favourite of the ‘police’ characters thus far.

Another one of my favourite scenes is Avon visiting the pit. It’s such an iconic scene just the slow mo of him walking through the pit like a boss, checking up on all the workers making sure everyone is doing what they should be doing. Not only that but he is rewarding his workers on a job well done for scoping out Brandon. This is something that we haven’t really been seeing thus far from those at the top in the police force such as Rawls for example.

Another sad part was Omar seeing Brandon in the morgue. His warpath against the Barksdale Organisation is underway now and you know he’s going to do everything he can to deal with those responsible one way or another. Willing to cooperate with the police to take down Bird and I love how he’s so confident about doing it when he says “Omar don’t scare”.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discussion, hbo, thread, wire