Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 18-02-2020, 02:57 PM #26
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Cancel culture.

If this guy can loose his job for his opinions from 6 years ago, can Dawn Butler loose hers, for her opinions from yestetday?
This guy would have literally wanted to control whether or not you could have kids never mind the pure racism of his words. Do not rush to the defense of someone who believes they should have a right to your body just because he's a tory. This man thinks the working class are trash.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 03:00 PM #27
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
This guy would have literally wanted to control whether or not you could have kids never mind the pure racism of his words. Do not rush to the defense of someone who believes they should have a right to your body just because he's a tory. This man thinks the working class are trash.
and what do you think of people who vote tory or trump?

do you ever listen to yourself, you have countless times compared both to worthless trash with no brains.

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 03:03 PM #28
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
he just put an idea forward

are we now banning kids form having ideas?
Is rehashing nazi eugenics all the far right has to offer?
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 03:06 PM #29
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
he just put an idea forward

are we now banning kids form having ideas?
Do you think people should have a say in what advice the Government - who work for us - listens to?

Do you think businesses should have freedom in who they hire?

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 03:16 PM #30
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Opinion The far right
Andrew Sabisky’s job at No 10 shows how mainstream the alt-right has become
Joe Mulhall

After days of pressure on No 10 to sack Andrew Sabisky, one of Dominic Cummings’ recently appointed “weirdos and misfits”, the self-styled “superforecaster” took to social media to resign last night. In his resignation tweet he said he hoped the “media learn to
stop selective quoting”. However, when put in its proper context, Sabisky’s track record is far more damning than the out-of-context quotes for which he has been criticised, leaving Cummings and Downing Street with serious questions to answer.

The press rightly seized on his comments about race “science” and IQ, enforced contraception and support for eugenics (the concept of improving the genetic health of humans by excluding “inferior” genetic groups and promoting “superior” ones). But it’s just as important that we pay attention to where he made those comments – in the online world of alt-right subcultures that fellow Hope Not Hate researchers and I have been exploring in our latest book The International Alt-Right: Fascism for the 21st Century?. Even though Sabisky himself is gone, the milieu in which his views developed has not.

Many of the most prominent individuals pushing modern race science have come from within the international alt-right. One of the niche pseudoscientific theories popular in such circles is “human biodiversity” (HBD), which argues that there are differences in intelligence between races, based on genes – despite this theory being repeatedly debunked. A key figure within the so-called “HBD-o-sphere” is a blogger called “HBD Chick”. And it was on her website that Sabisky wrote, in 2014, that “there are excellent reasons to think the very real racial differences in intelligence are significantly – even mostly – genetic in origin, though the degree is of course a very serious subject of scholarly debate”.

Equally revealing is the title of the blog under which Sabisky made his comment: “in the dark about the dark enlightenment”. The Dark Enlightenment is a name given to a far-right movement that promotes a little-known ideology called neo-reaction or NRx. This is a largely online, far-right political subculture that emerged over the past two decades from the broader “reactosphere”, taking shape as bloggers realised that their views on gender, race, religion, governance and much more all shared a rejection of the liberal democratic attitudes that had grown in the west following the Enlightenment. Sabisky wrote that “the Dark Enlightenment is a silly and hyperbolic term for what should be fairly uncontroversial at this point”, yet most people would be disturbed by its core NRx ideas.

Neo-reaction is a very strange, marginal and extreme far-right ideology. It foresees a shift from globalised, multicultural liberal democracies with Enlightenment principles to competing states, run by dictatorships or monarchies, where ethnic groups live apart to ensure they are “preserved” and humans are transformed using sophisticated technology. Taking inspiration from NRx “thinkers” such as Nick Land and Curtis Yarvin, the NRx movement see this as not just unavoidable but also desirable.

Though best thought of as a disparate blogosphere rather than a cohesive movement, it has acted as both a tributary into the alt-right and as a key constituent part. While it does not share the public profile of the broader alt-right – the NRx community is essentially limited to small, obscure forums and blogs – it has found adherents and supporters in big tech and Silicon Valley.

There is evidence to suggest that Sabisky is even more broadly sympathetic to the NRx movement. In a 2017 blog for the International Business Times, he lamented Twitter’s clampdown on the infamous meme Pepe the Frog, which has long been used as a mascot for alt-right and far-right groups to spread racist, Islamophobic and antisemitic content online. In the article, he praised Land, the philosopher and amphetamine enthusiast considered the founding father of the NRx movement. Previously an academic at Warwick University in the 1990s, he went on to become a core NRx figure after publishing an online manifesto entitled The Dark Enlightenment in 2012. He acquired something of a cult following while becoming increasingly racist and propagating very far-right ideas. Yet Sabisky writes, “The present writer has followed Land for the last few years, and never once has his conduct been anything other than entirely praiseworthy.”

It’s clear, too, that Sabisky has spent some years reading and commenting on alt-right websites. In 2014, he commented on an article on the Unz Review, a website popular with alt-right racists and antisemites that has run Holocaust denial and pseudo-race scienceand hosts a blog by Steve Sailer, the alt-right’s go-to person on race science, who is often credited with coining the term “human biodiversity”.

Looking at the evidence, it starts to appear that Sabisky may not just hold unacceptable and abhorrent views in isolation but that he may actually be a neo-reactionary or alt-right believer. The idea that someone from these movements managed to become an adviser to Downing Street, if only briefly, is genuinely shocking and further evidence of how once marginal alt-right ideas have crept towards the mainstream.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-right-adviser

It's all coming out now. What a hiring for "people's" prime minister

Last edited by Twosugars; 18-02-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:26 PM #31

I just read this - Andrew Sabisky: What is superforecasting? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51545541

Last edited by James; 18-02-2020 at 03:27 PM.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 03:26 PM #32
Banned

Banned

Quote:
and what do you think of people who vote tory or trump?

do you ever listen to yourself, you have countless times compared both to worthless trash with no brains.

And my harsh words are proved correct by tory voters leaping to the defense of this man just because he is a tory when he, if given the chance, would deprive them of a basic human right. Tory voters have an almost cultish reverence for tory MPs and their staff and this story shows that all too well.

Your attempts to round this back on me are nothing more than a very lazy attempt to bait and one that doesn't even make sense. You're comparing me to a man who says that black people are inherently less intelligent than white people and that lower class people should have their choice of whether or not to breed be controlled when all I've ever said is that the british public are mostly uninformed and that Trump voters are willingly ignorant.

You are not stupid and I won't treat you as such, you know your comparison is ridiculous and I won't waste my time saying why because it's obvious. Of course, if you think I'm overestimating you and you want an explanation, you just need to say so.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:27 PM #33
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Andrew Sabisky: minister urges review of No 10 hiring process

The business minister Kwasi Kwarteng has said the process for hiring staff to advise Downing Street needs to be “looked at” following the resignation of the Tory adviser Andrew Sabisky over his controversial claims that intelligence was linked to race.

Kwarteng described the 27-year-old’s remarks in columns, blogs and online posts as “racist, offensive and objectionable”.

Sabisky, who is believed to have been hired following a call for “misfits and weirdos” to join the government, quit his post as a contractor on Monday night after his views on eugenics and the link between race and IQ were revealed, sparking an outcry.

Kwarteng’s condemnation came after almost 48 hours without a senior member of Boris Johnson’s government criticising Sabisky’s comments or explaining how he had been hired.

The minister told BBC Radio 5 live on Tuesday: “The message has been clear – his remarks were totally unacceptable. They were racist and they were offensive and he has left whatever post he had. I don’t know who he is. I read in the papers he’s 27 years old, I don’t know how he’s had time to write all this stuff to be honest.

“It’s been objectionable, offensive and he’s left the government. I think it’s unfortunate he was hired. He’s now left and we can now all move on.”

He said the government “should prevent racists from coming into No 10 or wherever he was working”.

“We do need to look at these processes but the fact is his remarks have been identified and very quickly pushed out … and we can move on.”

Questions will continue to be raised on Tuesday about the vetting process and what Sabisky’s exact role had been. He described himself as a political “super-forecaster” on online blogs and once wrote on the blog run by Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s chief aide.

A catalogue of racist and callous published remarks has emerged since the weekend, many from several years ago.

They include comments that black people have a lower average IQ than white people, adding that they were more “in the range of IQs 75 or below, at which point we are close to the typical boundary for mild mental retardation”.

In Schools Week 2016 he argued that drugs for narcolepsy could be used to improve brain function, even though there were health risks. “From a societal perspective the benefits of giving everyone modafinil once a week are probably worth a dead kid once a year,” he said.

He also suggested the legal enforcement of contraception at the onset of puberty to prevent an underclass because benefit claimants “reproduce at higher rates than the general population”.

The Tory MP Caroline Nokes, who is chair of the Commons’ women and equalities select committee, said she was disappointed by the silence from Downing Street regarding Sabisky.

“It does seem that when the call went out for misfits and weirdos that’s exactly what Downing Street got,” she told the Radio 4 Today programme.

“And no comment from Downing Street, who could have chosen to distance themselves from his youthful comments at any point, but they chose not to do so.

“I’m disappointed that it took this long for either this young man to resign or for Downing Street to take action.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...kwasi-kwarteng
Old 18-02-2020, 03:32 PM #34

Poster your Title needs Updating
he was Sacked
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 03:33 PM #35
You know my methods

You know my methods

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I just read this - Andrew Sabisky: What is superforecasting? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51545541
Yes and its the point Dominic is making, whilst people are dredging up a kids past like thought police Dominic is looking to the future with new ways of doing politics

its why he is so successful and why Boris cleverly hired him. Brilliant strategy from Boris who always surrounds himself with "smarts"

Labour are so far behind in this aspect i cant see them getting to power in the next 20 years
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 03:36 PM #36
Banned

Banned

Focusing on Labour instead of the party with the current majority government will always be bizarre to me. It's almost like Tory supporters don't want to acknowledge that they've ****ed up so every bad thing that happens from now on they'll find a way to place blame on Labour or anyone else so they don't have to shoulder the blame for putting Tories in a position of power.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:45 PM #37
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Poster your Title needs Updating
he was Sacked
Done, poster. Thanks.

They are reporting it as a "resignation" so that's what I stuck with

Last edited by Twosugars; 18-02-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:48 PM #38
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Yes and its the point Dominic is making, whilst people are dredging up a kids past like thought police Dominic is looking to the future with new ways of doing politics

its why he is so successful and why Boris cleverly hired him. Brilliant strategy from Boris who always surrounds himself with "smarts"

Labour are so far behind in this aspect i cant see them getting to power in the next 20 years
Smart far right? Surely an oxymoron
Old 18-02-2020, 03:59 PM #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Smart far right? Surely an oxymoron

Whatever you may think there’s no denying that Boris is an immensely intelligent guy ... don’t fall for all the buffoonery kidology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 04:03 PM #40
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Whatever you may think there’s no denying that Boris is an immensely intelligent guy ... don’t fall for all the buffoonery kidology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was referring to the ex aide, not bojo.

I'm aware bojo is a crafty and cynical operator.
Time will tell how intelligent his choices will be.

Last edited by Twosugars; 18-02-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 18-02-2020, 04:06 PM #41
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Btw I dont consider bojo far right.
Bojo is a centrist as far as he has any convictions. But he is not a conviction politician, above all else he is an opportunist. So if going far right will get him what he wants he will go there. No morals or convictions to speak of to stop him.

Last edited by Twosugars; 18-02-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 18-02-2020, 05:18 PM #42

Andrew
made a Documentary for BBC
back in 2017.

A clip was shown on BBCnewsHD
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 11:07 PM #43
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Bookmark/share this topic