Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:48 PM #26
You know my methods

You know my methods

Case 1: Female, age 35. Mild

On January 20, a passenger disembarked the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Hong Kong. Just 10 days later, on February 1, she tested positive for Covid-19.

By then the ship had sailed on and was docked in Yokohama, Japan. As news of the positive test spread, the Diamond Princess was quarantined and its passengers told to isolate themselves in their rooms. All on board were provided thermometers and asked to check their temperature several times a day.

Crew members were instructed to continue their duties and to report fever or respiratory symptoms. Despite the lockdown, the virus spread fast.

By February 28, a total of 705 Covid-19 cases were confirmed among 4,061 passengers and crew; 392 cases were symptomatic, 36 people were admitted to intensive care units, and 6 patients died. A seventh death was announced on Saturday.

Case 1 occurred in a 35-year-old woman from South Asia who worked as a waitress on the ship. On day one of her illness, February 7, she experienced throat dryness and a slight cough. She and her roommate shared a bathroom with two others who had previously had similar symptoms.

Case 1 reported her symptoms but continued to work. On day 3, she had throat soreness, stayed in her room, and was tested for the virus. On days 4–5, her symptoms diminished but on day 6, her test came back positive and she was transferred to Asahi General Hospital in Chiba, Japan.

At admission, she had a “slight sore throat and cough” but all her vital signs were normal. On examination, doctors found her throat was “bright red” but that there were no lesions or pus and she did not have pneumonia. However her throat was still sore and she continued to cough.

On day 8, she reported “slight rhinorrhea” - a runny nose. On day 9, she again tested positive but her symptoms continued to diminish, and by day 10 she was feeling fine.

Test results were positive on days 13 and 15, negative on day 19, positive again on day 20, and negative again on days 22 and 23, meeting the criteria for her safe discharge from hospital.

Case 1 never had a fever or shortness of breath. Her only symptoms were a sore throat and a cough. One of her colleagues, a kitchen porter on the same ship, had the same bright red throat but in the later days of his illness could not feel it, even when testing positive.

“As the virus spreads, more mild COVID-19 cases are likely, and clinicians should be aware of clinical manifestations in the absence of severe symptoms,” say the report’s authors.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...navirus-could/
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:49 PM #27
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Proper flu, as opposed to a bad cough and cold will kick the crap out of you for a week mixed between fever and chills. This is 30 times more contagious and 30 times more lethal. No way have the majority of people already had it.
See..a lot of people (especially children apparently) are asymptomatic, and a lot are also just presenting as very mild. Such people are NOT really being tested as why do they need to be? More people have this than those confirmed for sure.

Flu also does not necessarily kick your arse (mind one time I had it, I literally wanted to die and couldnt move for a week). It does in a lot of people, but others can present mildly, or they can just be carriers also.

Test a bunch of randomly picked people throughout the country, and it will be found there are many many more than the apparent 50k cases. Mortality rate I really doubt is as high as it appears, for that reason. Only those needing medical help are being tested, of them, mortality rate seems to be 2% or whatever. But it is ignoring those who have caught it but are not bad enough to need help.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 09-03-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:51 PM #28
0_o

0_o

Quote:
We still only have 21 cases in ireland
21 confirmed cases.

many many more actual cases.

Not meaning to frighten anyone, but yeah, its more widespread than being reported, given how contagious it is and how some are showing no symptoms (either at all, or for a while whilst still contagious)

I mean, those 21 people must have had contact with others before being put into quarantine. Especially if they have not returned from a high risk country and have caught it another way. They pass it onto say 5 (low estimate obviously, prob more), then those 5 have contact with 5 more, etc etc. But only those ill enough to need hospitalised, or paranoid enough to get tested when showing flu like symptoms..get tested. Rest just get on with it.
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 09-03-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:52 PM #29

I think it makes sense, a lot of tourists go to the one in Limerick, if someone has been on a flight recently and may have come in contact with the virus then it is better to avoid them coughing in a group of people and touching railings and stuff.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:53 PM #30
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
most of that death rate stats comes from China where people smoke like crazy and healthcare is not the same as in the west so id take that stat about death rates cautiously
I was making the point that there is no way the majority of us have had it. I'll keep taking stats from medical professionals though, and wait for them to revise the lethality of the disease.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:55 PM #31
0_o

0_o

Quote:
I was making the point that there is no way the majority of us have had it. I'll keep taking stats from medical professionals though, and wait for them to revise the lethality of the disease.
Yeah that might be a bit ott.

But mortality rate being lower..makes a hell of a lot of sense given it seems many do present extremely mildly, and children seem to have no symptoms at all in a lot of cases.

If you used only stats of those bad enough to be hospitalised with flu..and ignored everyone else, death rate would likely be 10% or something.

They do need to do random tests to find out how much its spread though..only focussing on those who ask for one..does not exactly give accurate info!
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 09-03-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:56 PM #32
You know my methods

You know my methods

we are still taking flights from all over the world and they are walking into the UK untested
Old 09-03-2020, 03:57 PM #33
0_o

0_o

Anyway, as i said if it makes people feel safer, fine.

But attempting to contain it like this, by cancelling random gatherings, whilst airports operate as usual and schools are open, etc, makes little sense to me really.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-03-2020, 04:09 PM #34
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Yeah that might be a bit ott.

But mortality rate being lower..makes a hell of a lot of sense given it seems many do present extremely mildly, and children seem to have no symptoms at all in a lot of cases.

If you used only stats of those bad enough to be hospitalised with flu..and ignored everyone else, death rate would likely be 10% or something.

They do need to do random tests to find out how much its spread though..only focussing on those who ask for one..does not exactly give accurate info!
I absolutely get that. I'll just wait for those that have spent their professional lives working with diseases to revise their figures and stats on it though.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:13 PM #35
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Gav had to say no to those Liverpool tickets as well. decided it's not a good idea to fly probably
ahhh, that's really unfortunate. Must be really disappointing. Imagine if they can't have the title parade after 30 years of waiting. I'm sure this Virus was created in Manchester.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:15 PM #36
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
ahhh, that's really unfortunate. Must be really disappointing. Imagine if they can't have the title parade after 30 years of waiting. I'm sure this Virus was created in Manchester.
when it was suggested they might have to cancel the season, I was chuckling

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:15 PM #37
0_o

0_o

Quote:
I absolutely get that. I'll just wait for those that have spent their professional lives working with diseases to revise their figures and stats on it though.
Of course

In a few months, I do think its going to turn out this was a big fuss over..not nothing..but something thats not THAT dangerous overall (extremely contagious though, clearly, but any airborne new virus would be really as noone has immunity). Until then, obviously experts can only go on confirmed cases, and confirmation appears to be self selective too..

Could be very wrong though and it might wipe out half the population or something

Whats pissing me off, is I read an article the other day about a group of scientists who had requested the funds to start developing a vaccine against coronaviruses, which would probably have worked on all strains of it, at least to some degree. and they were refused. They would have had it now. This situation was avoidable, but no country wants to spend money on vital healthcare and prevention strategies..
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-03-2020, 04:19 PM #38
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Probably Where's Annie, I need to have word with her

but yeah he's gutted, would have been a great match to go see

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:20 PM #39
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Of course

In a few months, I do think its going to turn out this was a big fuss over..not nothing..but something thats not THAT dangerous overall (extremely contagious though, clearly, but any airborne new virus would be really as noone has immunity). Until then, obviously experts can only go on confirmed cases, and confirmation appears to be self selective too..

Could be very wrong though and it might wipe out half the population or something

Whats pissing me off, is I read an article the other day about a group of scientists who had requested the funds to start developing a vaccine against coronaviruses, which would probably have worked on all strains of it, at least to some degree. and they were refused. They would have had it now. This situation was avoidable, but no country wants to spend money on vital healthcare and prevention strategies..
I follow a few doctors on twitter, and they are all saying things are actually worse than they seem. Of course it's their jobs to try and change our behaviour to make us less likely to catch it, so a bit of scaremongering is probably a good thing, but there is a lot of genuine concern about this combined with the fact that the stripping of the NHS over the last decade is a real risk factor. UK medical staff are already running out of the protective clothing they need and rely on.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:20 PM #40
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Of course

Really? I hadn't heard that, ffs

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:22 PM #41
0_o

0_o

Quote:
I follow a few doctors on twitter, and they are all saying things are actually worse than they seem. Of course it's their jobs to try and change our behaviour to make us less likely to catch it, so a bit of scaremongering is probably a good thing, but there is a lot of genuine concern about this combined with the fact that the stripping of the NHS over the last decade is a real risk factor. UK medical staff are already running out of the protective clothing they need and rely on.
Its a huge disaster for the NHS I think. We only have something like 2 beds per thousand people to start with in hospitals

I think its not that much to worry about on a personal level, but NHS wise, it could crash the country if a lot (figures say 10% ish? Probably less but clearly alot) need some form of medical intervention. The NHS has been starved of funds for too long to deal with this, hence level 4 emergency and mass panic among medical staff

I guess cancelling events makes sense if trying to slow the spread, rather than contain it. But again, it needs to be most things/everything, not just random handpicked events! Airpoirts are the main issue I see.

Quote:
Really? I hadn't heard that, ffs
Might have been bull, I don't remember where I read it (defo not the sun or whatever, seemed to be some medical journal) but its been in my head since!
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 09-03-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:23 PM #42
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
id think its more that we have so many more people in this country who needs the NHS due to limitless immigration, we dont even know how many illegals arrive in the UK every year - Migration Watch UK i think estimated 1,000,000 in last decade - and that is illegals not other migrants

no wonder the NHS is feeling the strain
Old 09-03-2020, 04:25 PM #43
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

One thing I do find funny about this whole thing, is that folks have been promoting this blitz/ww2/british exceptionalism nonsense for half a decade then at the first sign of trouble we start panic buying toilet roll.

The contrast of perception vs reality about this country is laid out in stark and hilarious terms.

Last edited by The Slim Reaper; 09-03-2020 at 04:26 PM.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:25 PM #44
0_o

0_o

Quote:
id think its more that we have so many more people in this country who needs the NHS due to limitless immigration, we dont even know how many illegals arrive in the UK every year - Migration Watch UK i think estimated 1,000,000 in last decade - and that is illegals not other migrants

no wonder the NHS is feeling the strain
Loads need the NHS yes, but I doubt its due to immigration. Infact tbh, in hospitals here, it seems at least half the doctors ARE immigrants, so immigration benefits the NHS rather than drains it if that follows everywhere!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-03-2020, 04:26 PM #45
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
One thing I do find funny about this whole thing, is that folks have been promoting this blitz/ww2/british exceptionalism nonsense for half a decade then at the first sign of trouble we start panic buying toilet roll.

The contrast of perception vs reality about this country is laid out stark and hilariously.
no "we" havent, you just made that up
Old 09-03-2020, 04:41 PM #46

Quote:
we are still taking flights from all over the world and they are walking into the UK untested

Thats because
it takes up to 10 days to be active

Also the Test is Not instant
it get sent to Labs

Takes many days

Last edited by arista; 09-03-2020 at 04:42 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:43 PM #47

Just stay away from anyone
who has come back from Poxy North Italy
or Asia.,
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:45 PM #48
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Just stay away from anyone
who has come back from Poxy North Italy
or Asia.,
What if you don't know they've been to those places, because you're lining up behind them to get a euromillions ticket?
Old 09-03-2020, 04:49 PM #49
0_o

0_o

Quote:
What if you don't know they've been to those places, because you're lining up behind them to get a euromillions ticket?

No good staying away from people who have been to 'infected places' tbh. as they will have spread it to others who haven't been there already. Also purposely avoiding people who have been to certain countries is problematic on a few levels tbh.

Apparently some chinese guy was beat up as people thought he was spreading it, just because he was chinese :/ Because of course beating him up stops the spread, if he was anyway!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-03-2020, 05:10 PM #50

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Quote:
Ridiculous

If it makes people feel safe, fair enough I guess. But for me, this is unneeded fear mongering. Still think most people have either had it, or currently have it, or will get it soon and its nowt to worry about with the huge majority. Do parades get cancelled in flu season?
Fear mongering has been happening from the beginning unfortunately.

I can't wait for things to get back to normal .

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cancelled, coronavirus, day, due, fears, ireland, parades, patrick, st