Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-04-2020, 03:50 PM #1
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Default Probe after 31 deaths in Montreal nursing home

Elderly residents left soiled and unfed after their caregivers fled the premises, 31 deaths in the space of a few weeks: a nursing home in Montreal has become the symbol of the terrible toll coronavirus is taking in Canada's long-term care homes.
The bleak situation discovered at the Residence Herron, in the Montreal suburb of Dorval, has triggered an investigation for gross negligence and a national reckoning among Canadians about the conditions in long-term care homes which account for half the country's more than 1,250 Covid-19 deaths.
"I was sick to my stomach, I was really sick to my stomach," said Moira Davis, whose father Stanley Pinnell died at the Herron facility on 8 April.
"All of a sudden these questions started flying through my head, 'What could we have done differently? Why did nobody tell us?... Why, why, why?'"
Called to the rescue after most of the staff deserted the facility, health authorities found residents dehydrated, unfed for days and lying listless in bed, some covered in excrement. Others had fallen to the floor. Two deaths had gone unnoticed for several days.
At least five of the 31 recent deaths at the home have been officially attributed to the virus, with the others still being investigated by a coroner.

From her home in Creighton, Saskatchewan, Ms Davis said she became concerned about her 96-year-old father, who is believed to have contracted coronavirus a week before his death, as he sounded weaker and weaker on the phone each time they spoke.
She said Residence Herron was not unique. "There are other homes, I am sure, in every country of the world, where families have experienced a similar situation.
"It scares me, it terrifies me to think that I am 60 years of age, and I may someday end up in one of these homes."

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0...eal-care-home/

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 03:56 PM #2
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

there have been horrific stories on care homes from a number of countries. It's so sad
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 04:07 PM #3
-

-

Honestly, the public have been whipped into a paranoid frenzy of fear for their lives over Covid - an illness with a less than 1% mortality rate in younger adults - for the purposes of encouraging people to stay on lockdown so that we can beat the curve, the main reason for which is to protect the elderly and vulnerable.

But it's been so successful and people are so afraid for their own lives and health that its leading to horrific stories of neglect like this all across the globe. And who is suffering the most? The elderly and vulnerable people that we're supposedly doing all of this to protect. It's a sick joke of a situation.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 02:04 PM #4
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

I can see why they would be worried as care workers are dying, but just going off and not informing anyone, and where were the management?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 03:44 PM #5
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Will there be an investigation? You would hope so, and the owners held to account.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
31, deaths, home, montreal, nursing, probe