Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 13-10-2020, 08:10 AM #6226
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Sky News reporting it now XX
It’s a guy in the US - in his twenties.. the first time was a breeze but this second time he’s very poorly . .. this is all in a 6 WEEK period !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
you have to ask how unlucky he is to have contracted it twice? or is it that he just doesn't follow any measures to protect himself, also call me cynical but its very convenient as a narrative to go against Trump and his immunity narrative, all very politically driven I feel

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 13-10-2020, 08:12 AM #6227
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
you have to ask how unlucky he is to have contracted it twice? or is it that he just doesn't follow any measures to protect himself, also call me cynical but its very convenient as a narrative to go against Trump and his immunity narrative, all very politically driven I feel
oopsie, let Trump be just that sort of person too

so if i were him, i better follow this story too, and not being too arrogant about his ''immunity'' when there isn't immunity for a long time

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 13-10-2020, 08:14 AM #6228
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
...the face and space aren’t working together atm in supermarkets etc...(...in our local ones anyway...)...because the number of people allowed in there doesn’t have restrictions anymore to be able to keep that space, no matter how much it’s tried to...it isn’t ‘face and space’, it’s become more ‘replace space with face’, for many, sadly...
Old 13-10-2020, 08:21 AM #6229
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
I’m wondering why these huge ‘health based’ decisions are taken by the government in the first place .

Why isn’t there a panel of scientists and doctors in charge of the health leaving the economy to the government .

It’s a bit like Question Time each week where the scientist/doctors / entrepreneurs as speak sensibly but the politicians simply avoid the issues

I'd agree with that.

I also admit the economy is important.
I could make the political point that after near 10 years of unbroken power, with no other real international financial crisis to contend with, our economy should have been better prepared for any crisis.

However, this economy over people's lives irritates me greatly.
It's like the mindset of a few more thousand sick or elderly lives lost is worth paying to keep the economy going better.

Lives over money or money over lives.
I know which I'd choose with power.

We're looking at the next 6 months of this procrastinating and pussyfooting around trying to deal with bits of everything, while achieving little on anything it seems.

An economy that cannot take a really bad year, to be built up again afterwards.
Was a pretty bad economy in the first place despite being told how wonderful all was and would be before this crisis hit.

Never mind, let's just sacrifice more seriously ill and elderly, the economy is far more important.
Unbelievable and heartless, that's my view anyway.
Old 13-10-2020, 08:39 AM #6230
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
There are about 5 recorded cases of people being re-infected after catching it, out of the millions infected. Also, 1 person experienced worse symptoms on re-infections, the other 4, not so much. So the upshot is the chance of short term re-infection looks slim, but we don't know what the long term situation will be
Old 13-10-2020, 08:43 AM #6231
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
There are about 5 recorded cases of people being re-infected after catching it, out of the millions infected. Also, 1 person experienced worse symptoms on re-infections, the other 4, not so much. So the upshot is the chance of short term re-infection looks slim, but we don't know what the long term situation will be
5 in the world? that number should not be making headlines, and the only reason it is, is due to Trump and his bizarre claims

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 13-10-2020, 08:48 AM #6232
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

also NL: purchase of alcohol by youth in evenings is going to be forbidden now

Old 13-10-2020, 08:50 AM #6233
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
5 in the world? that number should not be making headlines, and the only reason it is, is due to Trump and his bizarre claims
yes, 5 in the world. The situation is muddied a little by the fact that some of that 5 may even not have been re-infected, it was just residual virus making a come back. These bizarre claims appear regularly, it's not just about Trump. A study showed that the virus can remain active on surfaces for 28 days... but they did that in lab conditions that are just not applicable in the real world, so it's unnecessarily panicking people
Old 13-10-2020, 08:57 AM #6234
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
yes, 5 in the world. The situation is muddied a little by the fact that some of that 5 may even not have been re-infected, it was just residual virus making a come back. These bizarre claims appear regularly, it's not just about Trump. A study showed that the virus can remain active on surfaces for 28 days... but they did that in lab conditions that are just not applicable in the real world, so it's unnecessarily panicking people
yes panic is the last thing you want in a dangerous situation as this

but these scientists who study this virus, spend like loads of hours into finding out more about covid-19, since there is still a lot not known

for you to say ''not applicable in the real world'' is just not very respectful towards their hard work so far, no offense of course Bots

Old 13-10-2020, 09:27 AM #6235
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Italy has also announced stricter measures again

PM Conte said these new measures will be active for the next 30 days

no more partying, weddings maximum limit of 30 people (first that were 200) and pubs, bars, restaurants must be closed at midnight

Old 13-10-2020, 09:47 AM #6236
-

-

Quote:
Indeed and this one from the US with quick "re-infection" within weeks strongly suggests it's a resurgence of his original infection and that it was never fully cleared. There were examples of that all the way back in ye olde days in China before it took hold elsewhere.

Honestly I would take these examples, especially from the US at the moment, with a large pinch of salt as there is a huge political component infused into every part of their news at the moment because of the upcoming election. I keep reading "personal accounts of Covid" from people in the US all over the Internet that just don't ring true. Wild symptoms that nowhere else is reporting, doom-filled stories about "entire families" ending up in hospital from kids to grandparents with half of them dying that bear little resemblance to various things we know about Covid...

Usually prefaced with "I'm from the South and I used to be anti-mask and think it was a hoax but now..." and yet with a suspiciously well-written piece of prose for a deep south republican anti-mask hick.
Old 13-10-2020, 09:51 AM #6237
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Indeed and this one from the US with quick "re-infection" within weeks strongly suggests it's a resurgence of his original infection and that it was never fully cleared. There were examples of that all the way back in ye olde days in China before it took hold elsewhere.

Honestly I would take these examples, especially from the US at the moment, with a large pinch of salt as there is a huge political component infused into every part of their news at the moment because of the upcoming election. I keep reading "personal accounts of Covid" from people in the US all over the Internet that just don't ring true. Wild symptoms that nowhere else is reporting, doom-filled stories about "entire families" ending up in hospital from kids to grandparents with half of them dying that bear little resemblance to various things we know about Covid...

Usually prefaced with "I'm from the South and I used to be anti-mask and think it was a hoax but now..." and yet with a suspiciously well-written piece of prose for a deep south republican anti-mask hick.
its 100% politically driven, like so much of this reporting around this pandemic, politics before lives

Old 13-10-2020, 09:58 AM #6238
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

a dutch 89 yr old woman has died of covid-19, the first confirmed death after getting the virus for a second time

she also had a rare form of bone marrow cancer, because of that she had a weakened immune system

Last edited by Nicky91; 13-10-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 13-10-2020, 10:50 AM #6239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...the face and space aren’t working together atm in supermarkets etc...(...in our local ones anyway...)...because the number of people allowed in there doesn’t have restrictions anymore to be able to keep that space, no matter how much it’s tried to...it isn’t ‘face and space’, it’s become more ‘replace space with face’, for many, sadly...

I was stunned to hear ‘what’s his name’ name drop Tesco for their negligence in wearing masks and social distancing as our Tesco has antibacterial stations entrance / exits , sanitised trolley station before you enter , all customers wear masks ... yet Home Bargains staff state that they can’t enforce mask wearing ( that’s down to the police they claim) so only about 5% of customers bother wearing them

Situation- Gtr Manchester area

Old 13-10-2020, 10:55 AM #6240
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

entire team of Jumbo-Visma is out of Giro D'Italia after positive coronatest of Steven Kruijswijk, another contender for Giro Michael Matthews also got tested positive for corona

australian team mitchelton scott also pulled out of the Giro as a result (earlier british Simon Yates with a positive test)

also 6 staff members were tested (4 of whom were of mitchelton scott team)

Old 13-10-2020, 10:56 AM #6241

Quote:

Although it’s been less than a year ... it was a while before the first case came to light but now we’re suddenly up to the fifth and it’s the latest one that’s had two bouts of the virus in a six week period and he’s the one who’s dreadfully poorly now after an easy ride in his first bout .

I’m really not liking this ‘trend’ at all ..

Also millions have had it without symptoms or very slight symptoms without even KNOWING it so there could be hundreds of thousands going through the infection for the second time now - this time getting worse symptoms this time

Old 13-10-2020, 11:00 AM #6242

John Ashton
Former Health Professor
said on All Out Politics SkyNewsHD
"Schools and University's need to only do 3 days a week
giving Students more space"
Track and Trace he said is a Failed system.

Last edited by arista; 13-10-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 13-10-2020, 11:03 AM #6243
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

if re-infection was a genuine thing there would have been tens of thousands of cases of re-infection by now. Less than 10 cases world wide that aren't even proven to be re-infection, is alarmist scaremongering. There is still some doubr about long term re-infection, but that can only come into play on a long timescale. There are things worth worrying about, this is definitely not one of them
Old 13-10-2020, 11:11 AM #6244
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
if re-infection was a genuine thing there would have been tens of thousands of cases of re-infection by now. Less than 10 cases world wide that aren't even proven to be re-infection, is alarmist scaremongering. There is still some doubr about long term re-infection, but that can only come into play on a long timescale. There are things worth worrying about, this is definitely not one of them
how is that scaremongering? this just proves you should still wear a mask, and social distance as much as possible

getting covid a second time can get you even worse (since first time already damaged you)

i know it might maybe come across as scary, worrying but all what you need to do is pay close attention to advice given, don't let your guard down in thinking you're safe cuz you are not (you can only say that you are safe when there is a vaccine) however maybe it is better for future to also continue wear masks, given you got other influenza's too and better hygiene is how we can help and try to prevent another outbreak at this scale in the future

Old 13-10-2020, 11:19 AM #6245
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
Italy has also announced stricter measures again

PM Conte said these new measures will be active for the next 30 days

no more partying, weddings maximum limit of 30 people (first that were 200) and pubs, bars, restaurants must be closed at midnight
Cases are rising in there as well. Although it's not too bad at the moment.
But it's better to act now, before it gets out if control.
Old 13-10-2020, 11:20 AM #6246
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
how is that scaremongering? this just proves you should still wear a mask, and social distance as much as possible

getting covid a second time can get you even worse (since first time already damaged you)

i know it might maybe come across as scary, worrying but all what you need to do is pay close attention to advice given, don't let your guard down in thinking you're safe cuz you are not (you can only say that you are safe when there is a vaccine) however maybe it is better for future to also continue wear masks, given you got other influenza's too and better hygiene is how we can help and try to prevent another outbreak at this scale in the future
because its 5 people in how many infections worldwide?

Old 13-10-2020, 11:22 AM #6247
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
because its 5 people in how many infections worldwide?
basically you saying ''the few or the many''

even if it's just 5 people regarding these re-infections, it is still proof that it is possible

so immunity does NOT exist for a long time

Old 13-10-2020, 11:38 AM #6248

9 Died in Scotland
Larger than usual
Old 13-10-2020, 11:40 AM #6249
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:

even if it's just 5 people regarding these re-infections, it is still proof that it is possible

Yes it is Nicky proof of re-infections.

It is at ptesent 5 people recorded and documented to have been re-infected.
They are ALL we know of.

It would be as equally dangerous to ignore and dismiss re-infection could happen..
As it would to present it as a norm as to re-infection.

There could, I stress could, be people who have been re-infected.
Who we know nothing about, yet.
The danger is, this guy had it.
It's felt according to the news, he was re-infected by a family member possibly.

The end result is, if you've had it, it appears, you CAN be re-infected with it..
Which will mean you can transmit it again too

Only 5 at present.
I'd expect that number to grow considerably.

A few weeks ago, on the government's new only 28 day range of figures of deaths.
We saw, well there's very low deaths now.

Now we're back to hundreds of lives lost every week again, even on the government's 28 day only deaths figures.

Anything has to be expected with this virus.
Dismissing low numbers, that can over time eventually become large numbers.
That's the opposite of scaremongering, however near equally dangerous to do so.
In my view.

Last edited by joeysteele; 13-10-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 13-10-2020, 12:18 PM #6250
-

-

Quote:

That's not really how it works Nicky, some people being infected twice doesn't mean that it's likely for everyone to be prone to multiple infections.

For example, it is VERY unusual for people to get chicken pox twice - but it is possible. Measles, Mumps and Scarlet Fever (bacterial, not a virus) are other examples. Usually if you've had them once you won't get them again, but a small number of people do.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today