Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 31-10-2020, 10:24 AM #7326
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
the fixation with keeping schools and universities open when they seem to be directly responsible for the uptick in infections is beyond me
Universities is the craziest one, and was done to protect landlords. Eat out to help out responsible for 1/5 of the spike according to studies, shaming people back into offices whilst cutting financial support. All crazy decsions taken as a reaction rather than working with the scientists.

12b on serco track and trace that isn't working, as medical professionals have been replaced by regular folks so serco can increase profits. Cronyism is killing people.
Old 31-10-2020, 10:31 AM #7327
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

I'm not much of a technology person, but why is track and trace a)so expensive and b)such a failure?

Like, surely everything needed to make it work -location tracking and/or check-ins, the ability to "update status" of covid, and cross-referencing these- already exists? Why is it so hard to string them together? Surely someone taking a computing or coding course at university could make something workable for a fraction of the cost... Or heck, give those billions to a (/group of) student(/s) if it gets the job done. It'd certainly make more of a difference than flushing it away into some faceless company.

But like I side, I'm not a computer person. ICT is something you get from Costa.

Old 31-10-2020, 10:31 AM #7328

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne
BB2023: Yinrun

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne
BB2023: Yinrun

Well I guess it means I will be going to work at uni while everyone else is off. Yey.
Old 31-10-2020, 10:34 AM #7329

I've only gone back to work this week, gonna be so pissed off if I can't work again
Old 31-10-2020, 10:38 AM #7330
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
If there is a national lockdown then the schools and universities should shut as well.
Perhaps public information adverts on telly showing people that 2 metres is just over the length of a bed rather than the less than 2ft you see all those numpties out in public seem to think it is.
No since in Germany they went into lockdown again (because of really bad regional outbreaks, and if you don't act quickly it will turn out for the worse)

but schools and day care centres remain open under strict mask requirement rules, if they do not obey these rules, they must still close

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 31-10-2020, 10:45 AM #7331
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

if i had under estimated a worse case scenario by 4 times in a normal job, i would have been sacked, no ifs or buts. So why aren't heads rolling on this. People have clearly ****ed up big time with their planning and estimation. It's not like we didnt have experience from March
Old 31-10-2020, 10:55 AM #7332
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
I'm not much of a technology person, but why is track and trace a)so expensive and b)such a failure?

Like, surely everything needed to make it work -location tracking and/or check-ins, the ability to "update status" of covid, and cross-referencing these- already exists? Why is it so hard to string them together? Surely someone taking a computing or coding course at university could make something workable for a fraction of the cost... Or heck, give those billions to a (/group of) student(/s) if it gets the job done. It'd certainly make more of a difference than flushing it away into some faceless company.

But like I side, I'm not a computer person. ICT is something you get from Costa.
Because they took it away from the nhs, who already ran successful track and trace schemes before covid existed, and gave it to a private company who see it as a way to make money rather than do the service it was intended to do. On top of that, they put friends in charge (dido harding - husband of tory minister), rather than experts, just like everything else this gov does.
Old 31-10-2020, 11:03 AM #7333

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I've only gone back to work this week, gonna be so pissed off if I can't work again

Yes not nice for you
Old 31-10-2020, 11:04 AM #7334

Old 31-10-2020, 11:05 AM #7335
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Boris is walking after Brexit. He's shown what a natural coward he is by the way he's hiding through this crisis rather than leading.

Old 31-10-2020, 11:06 AM #7336
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Because they took it away from the nhs, who already ran successful track and trace schemes before covid existed, and gave it to a private company who see it as a way to make money rather than do the service it was intended to do. On top of that, they put friends in charge (dido harding - husband of tory minister), rather than experts, just like everything else this gov does.
Indeed - it was originally the case that T&T managers were to be band 6 NHS nurses at minimum. Obviously not manning every phone, but running the service. When it was handed out to contractors though, instead it has been kids in their late teens and early 20's hired based on call centre experience and not trained in the slightest to handle the challenges presented by track and trace. Also paid half the wage of course, as an experienced band 6 nurse will be on Ł40k.
Old 31-10-2020, 11:08 AM #7337
-

-

Quote:
Boris is walking after Brexit. He's shown what a natural coward he is by the way he's hiding through this crisis rather than leading.

I think he planned to anyway. I think a short stint as PM and "getting bwexit dun" was going to be the cherry on top of his political career and he would have semi-retired to the back benches/journalism. That was his plan for 2020.

Then SURPRIIIISE!! Covid time.
Old 31-10-2020, 11:13 AM #7338
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I think he planned to anyway. I think a short stint as PM and "getting bwexit dun" was going to be the cherry on top of his political career and he would have semi-retired to the back benches/journalism. That was his plan for 2020.

Then SURPRIIIISE!! Covid time.
There were definitely whispers about this from just after the election. He definitely won't want to be PM when food/medicine shortages potentially hit, and nothing is getting through customs as Kent is one big lorry park. I think he saw it as the perfect opportunity to walk off as the hero that delivered it. not be accountable for the impending clusterfcuk.
Old 31-10-2020, 11:13 AM #7339
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
So Far
on Monday
it could be Scotland
as well in the National 4 week Lockdown
From what I'm hearing today, the numbers in Scotland wouldn't necessarily require lockdown, however if Westminster is only going to fund support packages at this time, Scotland won't have the option of doing it later so might have to go ahead at the same time. This is because HMRC etc is Westminster based and the transition of Social Security (benefits) to Scotland is in process but far from complete (Universal Credit still handled centrally in England). Financially complicated and yet another example of why independence or at least full devolution is the only sensible option for Scotland in the 21st century.
Old 31-10-2020, 11:16 AM #7340
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I know that there is a massive worry about the NHS but it seems like this lockdown is another knee jerk. Surely we will not have seen full results yet of the Tier systems yet. The R rate is dropping again and so surely case numbers will follow suit and anyone who is now infected will end up in hospital whether we are locked down or not. We don't seem to be giving anything a chance to see if its working
Exactly, and on top of that people who are actually following the guidelines will throw caution to the wind in December if lockdown is the answer, may as well have a good time eh

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 31-10-2020, 11:20 AM #7341
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Exactly, and on top of that people who are actually following the guidelines will throw caution to the wind in December if lockdown is the answer, may as well have a good time eh
people need to boycott this lockdown as well

drive those governments in a corner, get rid of the dictator Boris Johnson

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 31-10-2020, 11:22 AM #7342

Quote:
From what I'm hearing today, the numbers in Scotland wouldn't necessarily require lockdown, however if Westminster is only going to fund support packages at this time, Scotland won't have the option of doing it later so might have to go ahead at the same time. This is because HMRC etc is Westminster based and the transition of Social Security (benefits) to Scotland is in process but far from complete (Universal Credit still handled centrally in England). Financially complicated and yet another example of why independence or at least full devolution is the only sensible option for Scotland in the 21st century.

No

in the Next 4 years you ain't getting it.

Our Prime Minister is not permitting the Cocky Scotts
their wish.

Up Yours
Old 31-10-2020, 11:22 AM #7343
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
people need to boycott this lockdown as well

drive those governments in a corner, get rid of the dictator Boris Johnson
If he blocks off the Home aisle in Sainsburys I will be doing just that

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 31-10-2020, 11:24 AM #7344
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Obviously people are responsible for their own actions, but you must see that the tide turned with doms eye test and the way the tories protected him, then the gov scrapped shielding which then allowed employers to force the vulnerable back into work, then we had pint with a pie, eat out to help out, Boris shaming people back into workspaces etc.

One of the biggest rises in hospitalisations at the moment are 17-40 yr old women, who are massively represented in the hospitality industry.
Old 31-10-2020, 11:31 AM #7345
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
so far
on monday
it could be scotland
as well in the national 4 week lockdown
Old 31-10-2020, 11:32 AM #7346
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Obviously people are responsible for their own actions, but you must see that the tide turned with doms eye test and the way the tories protected him, then the gov scrapped shielding which then allowed employers to force the vulnerable back into work, then we had pint with a pie, eat out to help out, Boris shaming people back into workspaces etc.

One of the biggest rises in hospitalisations at the moment are 17-40 yr old women, who are massively represented in the hospitality industry.
Yes of course I can, however the tide was turning even before Doms eye test, look at Europe they don’t have Dom to blame or eat out, if they were the only factors the UK would be the only European country to be struggling, eat out ended in August two months ago infection should have peaked 3rd week of September, if you end up hospitalised 3 weeks after getting infected? I dont know any office workers that went back to work full time, do you? The pubs in the Republic opened in September and closed two weeks later, was the virus circulating in empty pubs?

I didn’t agree with shielding being scrapped btw

Last edited by Cherie; 31-10-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 31-10-2020, 11:33 AM #7347
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
our measures are working well
Old 31-10-2020, 11:39 AM #7348

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
the fixation with keeping schools and universities open when they seem to be directly responsible for the uptick in infections is beyond me

‘ the economy’ . ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 31-10-2020, 11:41 AM #7349
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Yes of course I can, however the tide was turning even before Doms eye test, look at Europe they don’t have Dom to blame or eat out, if they were the only factors the UK would be the only European country to be struggling, eat out ended in August two months ago infection should have peaked 3rd week of September, if you end up hospitalised 3 weeks after getting infected? I dont know any office workers that went back to work full time, do you? The pubs in the Republic opened in September and closed two weeks later, was the virus circulating in empty pubs?
If asymptomatic spreading wasn't a thing, and the government wasn't ignoring the advice from scientists then yeah, you may have a point.

As soon as dom happened we went from stay home, to stay alert instantly. Before the rules changed the gov were constantly leaking potential end dates of lockdown to journalists which gave people the confidence that life was coming back. Nothing happens in a vacuum.

Sage have been warning the gov this was about to happen, and the initial lockdown was supposed to buy us time to get t&t working and get an action plan in place. Boris went on another holiday then has been hiding again ever since. Sage wanted the circuit breaker in Sep, the gov knew better.
Old 31-10-2020, 11:42 AM #7350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post

That’s my take on things as well .

Seems easy enough to look at all the other systems around the world .. select the best/most appropriate then either copy it or pay for their blueprint/template ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today