Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 31-10-2020, 02:08 PM #7401

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Now this is a bad comparison

I agree that comparisons aren't good examples when it comes to a pandemic, but I only used them to show we don't actually do this in any other area of life.

I disagree about the tories point though, because they've demonstrated over and over again their unwillingness to actually follow independent advice, and instead they've used the pandemic as an excuse to give money to their friends, which shows their focus has been on completely the wrong things.

I say this with vulnerable people in my family. I planned to go and spend a few days with my folks a couple of weeks ago, so I isolated to make sure I was clear as my ma will die if she gets it (COPD). As it turned out they had stuff they needed to do so I ended up isolating for 2 weeks, just to go and have lunch with them.

I'm fortunate that I was able to do that in the first place, but when impositions are being put on peoples lives, there is a need to mandate things, because I'd wager most people will subscribe to the "just this once won't hurt" practice, then once they were safe that once, the floodgates are open.
I like to think I'm pretty far away from being a fan of the Tories so I'm not defending them as such but I do stand by my opinion that bringing up people that voted for them in this thread is pointless as most governments are doing the same thing right now and giving out guidelines which if the public apply common sense to and follow it will ensure ourselves and our families safety.

In all honestly I believe leaders of all the countries are in a no win situation during this pandemic, if they lockdown, give guidelines to follow, hand out fines threaten harsher punishment etc then they are accused of ruining the economy and infringing on human rights if they dont do the stuff mentioned above they are accused of not caring and putting people at risk of dying.
Old 31-10-2020, 02:10 PM #7402
Adios

Adios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
I like to think I'm pretty far away from being a fan of the Tories so I'm not defending them as such but I do stand by my opinion that bringing up people that voted for them in this thread is pointless as most governments are doing the same thing right now and giving out guidelines which if the public apply common sense to and follow it will ensure ourselves and our families safety.

In all honestly I believe leaders of all the countries are in a no win situation during this pandemic, if they lockdown, give guidelines to follow, hand out fines threaten harsher punishment etc then they are accused of ruining the economy and infringing on human rights if they dont do the stuff mentioned above they are accused of not caring and putting people at risk of dying.
Jacinda Ardern says hi

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Old 31-10-2020, 02:14 PM #7403
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:

Agree with you Josy, I think people want a solution handed to them, but are ignoring the fact that the solution is in their own hands, some people just won’t give up their freedoms, and that’s fine but this is where following that train of thought ends ...lockdown for everyone

It wont surprise me if this turns ugly this time round

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 31-10-2020, 02:14 PM #7404
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:

That's fair even though I mostly disagree. I do think that a bit of a myth has popped up about economy versus people though, as though they aren't now and won't forever be inextricably linked.
Old 31-10-2020, 02:23 PM #7405
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Teaching union calls for schools to close

The National Education Union (NEU) has called for schools and colleges to be included in any lockdown.

The Union says schools should only remain open to vulnerable children and those of key workers during such a general closure period. Boris Johnson is expected to say that schools, universities and colleges should remain open in a four-week lockdown.

Kevin Courtney, the joint general secretary of the NEU, said:

It is clear from ONS data that schools are an engine for virus transmission. It would be self-defeating for the government to impose a national lockdown, whilst ignoring the role of schools as a major contributor to the spread of the virus.

Such a lockdown would impose pain on the whole community - but not be as effective as it could be if schools were included. Ignoring the role of schools and colleges in the spread of the virus is likely to lead to the need for even longer lockdowns in future.

The latest figures from the ONS estimate that 1% of primary pupils and 2% of secondary pupils have the virus and that these levels have increased dramatically since wider opening in September. NEU analysis of ONS figures shows that virus levels are now 9 times higher amongst primary pupils and an astonishing 50 times higher amongst secondary pupils.

The National Education Union called for a two week circuit break over half term to include schools, which the Wales Government and the Northern Ireland assembly have done - but the Government in Westminster has ignored this call. More severe measures are now called for as a result, the Government should not make this mistake again.

The government should include all schools in proposals for an immediate national lockdown and as a minimum be preparing for school rotas at the end of that period, including by actually meeting its promise to deliver broadband and equipment to those children who do not have them.

It is also vital that the government ensure proper financial support for all those affected by lockdown including crucial supply teachers and other staff.
Old 31-10-2020, 02:24 PM #7406
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Universities must move all non-essential teaching online if England goes into another national lockdown, a union has said.

The University and College Union (UCU) said it would be “incomprehensible” if teaching continued in person if England is put under tighter restrictions from next week as expected.

Figures put together by the union suggest that there have been more than 35,000 cases on campuses since term started last month.

The UCU general secretary, Jo Grady, said:

The health and safety of the country is being put at risk because of this government’s insistence that universities must continue with in-person teaching.

It would be incomprehensible if universities were allowed to continue to do this after the outbreaks we have seen on campuses across the country this term.

Ministers must tell universities to move all non-essential in-person teaching online as part of any national lockdown.

The union has been campaigning for a complete shift online for some time, and previously launched a petition demanding that the switch be made “where possible”.

It is thought that education settings will be told they can remain open if another lockdown is announced.
Old 31-10-2020, 02:25 PM #7407
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Local and regional and authorities across the UK are sending out different messages over Halloween celebrations tonight.

In some places, notably Scotland and tier 3 areas on England, trick-or-treating is being actively discouraged.

In other areas parents and children are being urged to respect their neighbours.
Old 31-10-2020, 02:48 PM #7408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
Local and regional and authorities across the UK are sending out different messages over Halloween celebrations tonight.

In some places, notably Scotland and tier 3 areas on England, trick-or-treating is being actively discouraged.

In other areas parents and children are being urged to respect their neighbours.

Forget all the tiers

We will be in a National Lockdown
Lady
Old 31-10-2020, 02:52 PM #7409
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Forget all the tiers

We will be in a National Lockdown
Lady
...we won’t be in National lockdown today for Halloween, Arista...there is no National guidance for that...each local authority are issuing their own guidelines...the National lockdown will begin on Wednesday, I think...
Old 31-10-2020, 02:53 PM #7410

On Twitter

They are all going potty

Old 31-10-2020, 02:56 PM #7411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...we won’t be in National lockdown today for Halloween, Arista...there is no National guidance for that...each local authority are issuing their own guidelines...the National lockdown will begin on Wednesday, I think...

Sure could be Weds.

Today we Find out from The Prime minister around 5PM
what is the rush...................

BBC1HD 4:30PM
SkyNewsHD now
Times Radio DAB
LBC
Old 31-10-2020, 02:58 PM #7412
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

And here we are again, a government governing by leaks. Click on the tweet if you want to read all of the measures being introduced.

Last edited by The Slim Reaper; 31-10-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 31-10-2020, 03:12 PM #7413

We need this
Old 31-10-2020, 03:40 PM #7414

Old 31-10-2020, 03:45 PM #7415

Scotland goes into 5 Tiers on Monday

Not part of the England Lockdown month
Old 31-10-2020, 03:55 PM #7416
IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

The*Prime Minister*is set to announce a month long Tier 4 arrangement for England at 5pm, according to ITV.

All*pubs and restaurants*will close, although takeaway services will carry on and supermarkets will stay open.

The Prime Minister is set to make a major announcement on*coronavirus*at 5pm today.

The Tier 4 rules will take force from one minute past midnight on Thursday.

All non-essential retail outlets will be forced to close, and there will no social mixing inside homes with exceptions for childcare and other essential support.

Old 31-10-2020, 04:00 PM #7417

326 Died today

Patients in hospital

Patients in ventilator beds

21,915 New Cases of Covid-19

Total Deaths

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Last edited by arista; 31-10-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 31-10-2020, 04:01 PM #7418
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Conference is at 6:30 not 5 now

The scars on my mind are on replay
Old 31-10-2020, 04:02 PM #7419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post

Yes getting later all the time
Old 31-10-2020, 04:07 PM #7420

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne
BB2023: Yinrun

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Are they ****ting me. Little mix is on then which is fsr more important that bojo!!!!!!!!
Old 31-10-2020, 04:08 PM #7421
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Jake View Post
Are they ****ting me. Little mix is on then which is fsr more important that bojo!!!!!!!!
No it’s not it’s pushed back to next week

The scars on my mind are on replay
Old 31-10-2020, 04:08 PM #7422

Quote:

In which parallel universe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 31-10-2020, 04:10 PM #7423

Quote:

All the Back Benchers like Steve Baker
going into Debate with the Prime Minister.

Adding on extra time.

BBC1HD stated at 4:30PM
now its long time until 6:30PM
Old 31-10-2020, 04:10 PM #7424

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
In which parallel universe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am of course joking

However that show has been a disaster because if delays etc. The final was supposed to be next week!
Old 31-10-2020, 04:12 PM #7425

Quote:
No it’s not it’s pushed back to next week

Yes On Sky Info
Little Mix has gone
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today