Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 30-09-2020, 08:50 PM #401
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross. View Post
Katy was SCALPED
Katy to thank god for Declan McKenna's existence?
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 08:57 PM #402
Banned

Banned

Chloe X Halle

I have to admit, I felt a bit wrong footed by this album, the opening and Forgive Me has kind of this epic, almost classical feel to it and I was hoping that kind of sound would be more present throughout the album as such a mix is something I rarely hear in RnB music but it's not and it feels quite derivative because they aren't doing anything all that special outside of Forgive Me and Ungodly Hour. The rest of the album passed me by like background music really, pleasant enough but nothing that demands your attention or time.

It's not bad but it doesn't excite me. It's just a decent middle of the road album, really. Not bad, not great, just purely middling.

5/10

Last edited by Tom4784; 01-10-2020 at 03:34 AM.
Old 30-09-2020, 10:11 PM #403
Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Ungodly Hour is my favourite album of 2020 so far. I like the unique sound to their music along with the heavenly vocals and innovative arrangements.

My favourites are Tipsy, Ungodly Hour, Lonely and ROYL. Could of easily picked more but just narrowed it down to four. Special shoutout to “Do It” (of course)

I love how they’ve really blown up this year and hope they’ll continue to bless us with more music as time goes on. I will give this a 9/10
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:04 AM #404
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

With 4 reviews, Chloe x Halle end up with a score of 78.

I think we're long past queued suggestions now so I'll just jump in with a new release for a change. This week's album will be Roisin Murphy's "Roisin Machine". For anyone unfamiliar with her, you might recognise her as the vocalist from Moloko ("The Time is Now", "Sing it Back") at the turn of the century. She's done solo stuff for yonks now and this is her first album since 2016 (and her fifth overall). It's been getting pretty universal acclaim so let's test it in the TiBB waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:06 AM #405
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I give Roisin a 10/10....well okay, I’ll listen to it if you insist..you’re such a pedantic...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:10 AM #406
Banned

Banned

Scott to actually post a review for this one?
Old 02-10-2020, 10:18 AM #407
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Scott to actually post a review for this one?
...not A review, Dezzy...THE review...he’s been perching his whole life...
Old 02-10-2020, 07:45 PM #408
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

I've penciled in Kiesza for next week's album because it's a very short one (only 9 tracks) and there aren't really any crazy-big releases next week (unless fans of Future Islands and Dizzee Rascal want to convince me otherwise).

If anyone wants to choose albums for the week after and following that, October 16 sees new releases from Annie, Astrid S, beabadobee and Katie Melua, whilst October 23 sees new releases from Gorillaz, Bruce Springsteen, Major Lazer and Nothing But Thieves.

Obviously if anyone has any suggestions they can ignore those releases and just choose something else from this year... off the top of my head we still need to get around to reviewing Rina Sawayama, Kesha, Charli XCX and Ava Max (of the "big" 2020 pop releases)

Quote:

Old 02-10-2020, 08:29 PM #409
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

.... Beabadoobee...is it Fake It Flowers...?...I would love...
Old 03-10-2020, 04:51 AM #410
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

it's a date! *cackles bc my guerrilla marketing of her has worked on Ammi's wall*

Quote:

Old 03-10-2020, 05:00 AM #411
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..you’re so sneaky but I like it...don’t you think though that you’re the boss of the powers of persuasion because I was listening to her at that time as well..I’d had a Beabadoobee day before that wall post became even a twinkle in your sneaky eyes...
Old 03-10-2020, 05:27 AM #412

Too late to vote for Roisin? If not, solid 10/10.

Best “disco revival” material we’ve seen lately (seems to be a new trend with Dua, Jessie Ware, Katy Perry, Kylie’s upcoming album etc). I thought Ware had aced it but this just tops her for me I have to say, only slightly.

I think I love the fact that it’s not just “disco themed” it’s like more “vintage club” and could be an album straight out of any year between the late 70’s and mid-80’s. It doesn’t feel forced or contrived or anything, just raw throwback to underground clubs and I love it.

Elements of pure disco, bit of glam on there, post-disco, new wave hints, early electronica, the lot. Awesome!

Last edited by LaLaLand; 03-10-2020 at 05:29 AM.
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:29 AM #413
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I’ve listened to it all of the way through this morning and I still don’t know what I would rate it as...it’s a great disco album, I mean it can’t really be faulted with that...but hmmmmmmm, for some reason it’s not gelling and connecting with me in a way that What’s Your Pleasure did...I can’t really highlight any tracks specifically atm ...they’re all great but there isn’t any distinction between them either../...any individuality of personality between them...they should seamlessly flow but they should also be individual stand outs at the same time...I’ll think on it for a while and have some more listens if I have time...
Old 05-10-2020, 03:39 PM #414
Banned

Banned

Roisin

I really liked this and how it felt like one cohesive piece going through different movements. The sound was retro with modern sensibilities and most of the tracks are incredibly easy to listen to and get lost in. My only real complaints are that some songs outstay their welcome and that I think you need to listen to all the songs together to get the full effect, it's not really an album I can see myself saying, 'Oh, I'm in the mood to listen to Incapable!' I'll listen to the whole damn thing and enjoy it but that means that it's not an album I can listen to in full very often, because who's got time for that in today's world?

8/10
Old 06-10-2020, 05:57 AM #415
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

I've given it a first listen and omg... what a revelation I've always viewed Roisin with a little bit of a shrug in the past; she's done some epic stuff but I'd never really embraced an album of hers before (I liked Overpowered but I was a teenager at the time).

The only song really holding me back from loving this fully is 'Game Changer', it sort of takes the tempo and the steam out of the whole machine (pun intended). 'We Got Together', 'Simulation', 'Narcissus', 'Incapable' and 'Murphy's Law' are all excellent, and more than enough to keep me occupied and bopping.

I know the disco sound is being dabbled with by various popstars at the moment, but this is a slice of it that feels authentic and being done by someone who fully loves the genre rather than aiming to make a quick buck (eyes at BTS, Dua Lipa and The Weeknd)

And now 'Jealousy's just come on and blown my wig off. **** it... this is another 9/10... maybe a 9.5... but I'll stick with 9 for now.

Quote:

Old 07-10-2020, 07:49 PM #416
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

3 and a half reviews so far (just need a score from Ammi), but it closes tomorrow.

Quote:

Old 08-10-2020, 03:58 AM #417
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...sorry, I’ll go 8/10 for Roisin/Machine, Shaun...it is an outstanding disco album but it lacks some heart and soul to be bordering ‘perfection’ for me...I also think that it’s when we listen to albums for the first times as well and if we’re in the vibe for them...so maybe more me than Roisin and I just wasn’t with her yet..?...that’s why I wanted to listen more times but I still didn’t quite get there but every track is stunning, well most tracks anyway...it did feel like one extended single/totally seamless but with no distinguishing...so yeah, 8/10 for the moment...
Old 09-10-2020, 10:33 AM #418
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Roisin Machine ends up with a score of 88. We move on, now, to Kiesza

Quote:

Old 10-10-2020, 04:19 AM #419
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I’ve just started to listen now...so around a year ago she had a serious car accident.../...serious injuries ...and now she’s produced this album..?...wow, I didn’t know that, she’s not someone I’ve really listened to much and I’m not always up with celebrity news stories etc...but so very glad that she’s recovered as she has.....
Old 10-10-2020, 02:15 PM #420
Banned

Banned

Kiesza

I never really listened to her before but I thought the album was perfectly listenable. I liked the 80s/90s inspired big sound and I don't really think there's any awful songs on the album, all of which I'd probably be happy to listen to if they popped up on shuffle BUT I do think the album has some issues. The first of which is a lack of variety, the first half of the album sounds like the same song with slight changes, none of them are bad but it is rather noticeable how repetitive the album can be. The second issue is that I think this could be an album I'd either forget about in a few days time, or I would completely hate it. It's a very disposable kind of music, one with a shelf life, which isn't a bad thing but it's not great. Thirdly, I just think there's not much to the album, it's fun, it's catchy and it is what it is and I enjoy it for what it is but there's not much substance here.

All that being said, I did like the album but I can't realistically give it more than a (very good, mind) 6/10.
Old 13-10-2020, 07:23 AM #421
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I’ve just listened to the album for the second time...I wasn’t sure the first time because it did feel a little ‘background’ ...although perfectly good tracks as well...I read about her accident, I hadn’t known that ...and her brain injuries.../...such a life changing thing and I understand life changing and I understand ‘rebuilding’ as well because if we’ve had life changing from who we were then who are we at all...and that’s such an emotional journey of highs and lows ....Run Renegade is such a great opener/highlight...and then All of the Feelings and ughhhhh, I felt every one and it made me cry...Crave, Can’t Be Saved...all excellent songs and When Boys Cry......

...I didn’t know much of her before but life changing and she’s come back with such a strong album, pretty incredible......Crave...I’m going to say a glorious 7.9/10..
Old 16-10-2020, 07:37 PM #422
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

welp I haven't actually listened to Kiesza yet but it's time for a new week. I'll get around to reviewing it ASAP and work out a score for 'Crave' when I do, but for now I'll edit the new album into the OP!

Quote:

Old 18-10-2020, 07:00 PM #423
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Really impressed with this Kiesza record. The only thing holding it back is its length; it's all over in just half an hour. 'Run Renegade' is hella catchy, and then follows immediately with the triumphant 'All of the Feelings' (which is honestly the pop song of the year, sorry Dua/Gaga). Second single 'Crave' is also pretty great, channeling a little bit of Belinda Carlisle / insert other 80s icon here, and something I'll keep in heavy rotation.

Most tracks, in spite of their obvious filler role, serve up a strong dose of sugar and it's satisfying. 'Love Me With Your Lie' is probably my favourite of the rest - it stands out with a weird, witchy house vibe. Some are a little too muted and uninteresting experiments though; 'When Boys Cry' isn't really doing anything for me, and 'Love Never Dies' feels like the sort of ballad that Albania might send to Eurovision and finish in 16th place with.

I think, all in all, a score of 8 might be too high... so Ammi's probably nailed it with a 7.9 because the highlights are deserving of 10s across the board

Our three reviews give Kiesza a score of 73.

Quote:

Old 22-10-2020, 01:28 PM #424
Banned

Banned

Beabedoobee

I thought the album was likable enough in itself but nothing really stood out about it to me. There's nothing on the album I'd skip but nothing I'd go out of my way to listen to, either. It also suffers from being a bit indistinct, I've heard so many artists with this exact sound that she doesn't really stand out all that much.

I can't really rate it too low so it's not a bad album but it's not one that excites me either.

6/10
Old 23-10-2020, 04:01 PM #425
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Hmm... we're now at the stage where it's a struggle to get even 3 reviews on time so I think it might be time to call it a day on this thing (and I won't accept the excuse that it's because of obscure albums, even Dua Bloody Lipa only managed 4 reviews )

For what it's worth, I'd give 'Fake it Flowers' a solid 8. It loses traction towards the end but I enjoyed enough of it to give it some repeated listens.

Quote:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
#1, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #2, #20, #21, #22, #23, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, 2020, 2moro, after hours, album, ariana, ava, beabadoobee, chloe, chromatica, close, closes, club, color theory, crave, days, declan, edition, fake it flowers, fetch the bolt cutters, fire, folklore, future, grande, halle, heart, heaven and hell, hiatu, hiatus, immediately, impala, katy, kiesza, la, left, machine, max, mckenna, miss anthropocene, nostalgia, perry, positions, punisher, purity, ring, roisin, roux, set, smile, supervision, tame, the slow rush, thursday, tibb, today, tomorrow, tonight, ungodly hour, what your pleasure, womb, women in music pt iii, zeros