Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 17-07-2020, 04:53 PM #101
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post

Thats only half of the story, it would be absolutely fine if it WAS about individual decisions and people wanting nothing to do with it on their own consideration, but it extends thoroughly into the issue of group identity. Its not "I want nothing to do with Rowling any more", it's "I want nothing to do with her any more, we shouldn't want anything to do with her any more, and if you disagree, you're no longer one of us".

Group rejection is an IMMENSELY powerful social motivator and it leads to countless people being unable to express a counter-opinion on a topic that has had a group consensus clearly outlined.

Why anyone would think that's a good thing I really have NO idea.
I've never personally seen anyone ousted because they still enjoy Harry Potter or something like that.
Old 17-07-2020, 04:56 PM #102

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

Quote:
People are scared of it happening to them because it does happen and they have seen it happen. A number of high-profile academics have been ripped to shreds for discussing the wrong things. Just because you haven't seen it yourself doesn't mean it's imaginary... I have seen careers ruined for refusing to blindly reinforce public zeitgeist. Group-identity-power and anti-intellectualism are all too real. Repeatedly insisting that they're goblins under the bed isn't going to change that.
‘Ripped to shreds’ how?

I don’t believe any institutions actually punish people for having a difference of opinion, I just don’t, it would be grounds for wrongful dismissal for a start and whoever these ‘cancelled’ people say they’ve been cancelled for an opinion, there’s always something else that comes out that contradicts their stories.
Old 17-07-2020, 04:56 PM #103
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
I think you're generally right in this thread, although I have some minor disagreements, but that's quite the statement that you're going to need to back up.
Is that because of the confusing double-negative or because there actually are some institutions that are expressly forbidding some topics? Usually when I see it, it's that some researchers will try to propose papers but with "warning: this is a minefield area, enter at your own risk" disclaimers attached to the proposal.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 05:02 PM #104
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett. View Post
I've never personally seen anyone ousted because they still enjoy Harry Potter or something like that.
No, but I think that's because generally (thus far at least) people can separate an artist from their work, thankfully. I mean for example I love many Stephen King books but I wouldn't let the man babysit my kids, some of his stuff is very questionable.

So no I don't think people would be ousted for still liking Potter stuff. I do think people would be at risk of being ousted for saying "Well I don't totally agree with her but is there a wider discussion to be had here?". The issue of the potential, or even just the fear, of women's right being eroded due to carelessness in other areas is red hot. The anger surrounding it is very real. I don't really know why it has to be, but it is, and the fingers-in-ears refusal to go there and to reject people who are willing to go there is going to come to a head at some point.

Again the irony that I always sadly come to, is that I thi k it's inevitable that transpeople are the ones who will be worst affected when it does.
Old 17-07-2020, 05:03 PM #105
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Is that because of the confusing double-negative or because there actually are some institutions that are expressly forbidding some topics? Usually when I see it, it's that some researchers will try to propose papers but with "warning: this is a minefield area, enter at your own risk" disclaimers attached to the proposal.
The double negative I can cope with. I read some of my own posts sometimes and wonder what my old English teacher would think! Just some more info on academics not being allowed to do research.
Old 17-07-2020, 05:03 PM #106

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Telling people certain subjects are sensitive and they should take caution with how they go about it isn’t forbidding them from talking about it, it’s a very sensible approach to sensitive subjects, it’s common decency to be sensible and respectful when discussing nuanced things
Old 17-07-2020, 05:12 PM #107
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Telling people certain subjects are sensitive and they should take caution with how they go about it isn’t forbidding them from talking about it, it’s a very sensible approach to sensitive subjects, it’s common decency to be sensible and respectful when discussing nuanced things
It's not caution about how they go about it, the proposal is an invitation to participate and the warning is that the premise of the paper is LIKELY to result in backlash, and that they should consider the risk level before agreeing to co-author.
Old 17-07-2020, 05:16 PM #108

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's not caution about how they go about it, the proposal is an invitation to participate and the warning is that the premise of the paper is LIKELY to result in backlash, and that they should consider the risk level before agreeing to co-author.
Then the same thing stands, it’s a warning that it could cause backlash, so they know it’s a sensitive subject, that still doesn’t equate to certain subjects being forbidden, advised against because it could cause upset or controversy maybe, but not forbidden, that’s leaving it up to personal choice, that’s the exact opposite of being silenced or forbidden
Old 17-07-2020, 05:17 PM #109
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
The double negative I can cope with. I read some of my own posts sometimes and wonder what my old English teacher would think! Just some more info on academics not being allowed to do research.
I think it was my double negative then - I was saying that they're NOT expressly forbidden by their employers, but choose not to engage anyway because of the risks of pressure groups putting a spotlight on them afterwards. I did actually read something recently about some new legislation designed to protect academic discourse. All a bit vague though, I don't even know if it's through or just an idea.
Old 17-07-2020, 05:21 PM #110
-

-

Quote:
Then the same thing stands, it’s a warning that it could cause backlash, so they know it’s a sensitive subject, that still doesn’t equate to certain subjects being forbidden, advised against because it could cause upset or controversy maybe, but not forbidden, that’s leaving it up to personal choice, that’s the exact opposite of being silenced or forbidden
The effect is the same though, the pressure of public shaming and the threat of a pile-on is as effective as legislation if not moreso. I'm not really talking about whether or not "cancellation attempts" should be allowed either... Just whether or not they're a good idea ethically and in terms of real progress.
Old 17-07-2020, 05:26 PM #111

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The effect is the same though, the pressure of public shaming and the threat of a pile-on is as effective as legislation if not moreso. I'm not really talking about whether or not "cancellation attempts" should be allowed either... Just whether or not they're a good idea ethically and in terms of real progress.
You can’t say that people are being ‘forbidden’ to discuss certain things by institutions if they’re not, they can talk about whatever they want to talk about, but they have to be aware that certain things are going to cause certain reactions and they should be ready for that, they’re scared of something that is being sensationalised by people acting with ulterior motives
Old 17-07-2020, 05:29 PM #112
-

-

Quote:
You can’t say that people are being ‘forbidden’ to discuss certain things by institutions if they’re not, they can talk about whatever they want to talk about, but they have to be aware that certain things are going to cause certain reactions and they should be ready for that, they’re scared of something that is being sensationalised by people acting with ulterior motives
I didn't though, I said they're not forbidden, I am taking full responsibility for the confusion here though because I actually used the word "not" three times in one sentence . If anything deserves a public shaming it's this mess.

"The reason that academics and professionals are not having these discussions or doing this research is not that they are literally not allowed to do so."
Old 17-07-2020, 05:52 PM #113
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

i think you needed to add a couple of wherefore's for clarity
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 06:14 PM #114
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...(...I don’t think it’s about conversations being silenced or cancelled or etc...)...it’s more that social media is not and never has been the right platform to have them in because of the nature of the beast...and it’s the same for many topics, especially those that evoke more passionate opinions...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 06:15 PM #115
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...did Bots just cancel TS..?..
Old 17-07-2020, 09:49 PM #116
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...(...I don’t think it’s about conversations being silenced or cancelled or etc...)...it’s more that social media is not and never has been the right platform to have them in because of the nature of the beast...and it’s the same for many topics, especially those that evoke more passionate opinions...
I won't disagree about that Ammi - I'm not a fan of Twitter or any other social media other than for a bit of fun. I love the Twitter memes when Love Island is on for example - one of the main reasons to watch the show in the first place . But for serious topics? I think it's a disaster quite honestly and sadly, a disaster that sometimes spills out into reality a little.

Facebook if anything is even worse. Local pages are handy for finding a local gardener or finding out why there's a power cut... but even THOSE have been getting really toxic lately (the local pages, not the gardeners).

Bin the whole thing, chalk it up as a horribly failed social experiment.
Old 17-07-2020, 10:58 PM #117
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Cancel culture is indiscriminate, it can affect both left and right imo, the difference is the approach to the subject both approaches to say, trans rights will be 'cancelled' if not 100% in favour...but the reasoning and the explanation for any challenge is wildly different.

Look at the newsnight interview with Germaine Greer, I was in total agreement with her views there which of course makes me as 'cancelled' as her, being a left leaning person this is new territory, however as a principled person I accept it. I take ownership of my opinion.

As said the problem is now not only opinions that are challenged and 'cancelled' but academics and sociologists who cite studies and reference known facts as they don't fit in to the modern narrative as chanted by the social media mob. The sheer volume of discord that erupts following a controversial comment or point of reference is immense.

That to me has never been right, if 100,000 people felt a certain way and I didn't and I had peer reviewed study to back my theory nothing and nobody would sway me, in this instance cancel culture is a bastardisation of what it should be... a way of putting an end to predudice, lies and misinformation.

Last edited by Kizzy; 17-07-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 11:06 PM #118

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
He's literally just a male Katie Hopkins.
This !
Old 18-07-2020, 01:26 AM #119
Who, Douglas?

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
Who, Douglas?

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
What’s annoying about ‘cancel culture’ is that people define a person by the opinion they disagree with, and this is prevalent online because people don’t have the balls to actually debate. They’re quick to label people and categorise and that’s that. Then it has an annoying knock-on effect that if you stick up for them or agree, you’re cancelled by default as well.

There are people who won’t be happy until everyone is homogenised into thinking the same way, but the ironic thing is that those people go about it the worst way possible and ultimately fuels this us versus them effect that is plaguing modern society more and more.
So true. I have people on FB and Instagram that post stories saying they will delete anybody with differing political views or any criticism in response to certain topics... it’s ridiculous that people can’t accept differing views now... instead just throw a hissy fit

New Love Island least faves: Kaz, Tyler, Faye, Sharon, Rachel

Sig images and links removed for rule breaking - TiBB Staff
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 02:27 AM #120
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Utter bull****. People's aggression and violence is overlooked until their opinion diverges from the accepted zeitgeist, at which point they are disowned and targeted ("held to account"). If their OPINIONS still fall within accepted range, their BEHAVIOUR is consistently overlooked and excused.

... Not "free" - expected. People are expected to react, and their reaction is expected to match the consensus of the group. If it doesn't, they are wrong. If they refuse to comment or simply don't want to get involved, it is wrong.

Utter mess and intellectually indefensible as ANY brand of individualism. It is the death of individualism and critical thought.
The true utter bull**** is what you've decided to spew over your keyboard in response. It's just gullible reactionary crap and no amount of flowery language will change that.

Your argument is fraught with nonsensical hysteria and ignorance. There ain't no one getting cancelled for nothing, sometimes you get psychos like Amber Heard that mislead and paint themselves as victims but most of the time, people act on the words and actions of others.

There's a difference between an opinion and hatred which is why hate speech isn't covered by freedom of speech. If someone spews hatred, it's the right of others to decide if they don't want to support that person.

Honestly, you only have to look as far as the metoo movement to see that you're talking rubbish, there's plenty of people who spoke out in favour of Metoo only to be revealed to be abusers themselves and left wing people weren't like 'you might be an abuser but you say the right things so it's k'. No, they hung them out to dry just as much as other abusers.

Honestly, if you like sitting on the fence then sit on the fence, don't need to write all that to try to justify doing so.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 02:31 AM #121
Banned

Banned

The only 'academic' I can think of lately that's been cancelled is that racist historian and that was completely justified.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 05:22 AM #122
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
I won't disagree about that Ammi - I'm not a fan of Twitter or any other social media other than for a bit of fun. I love the Twitter memes when Love Island is on for example - one of the main reasons to watch the show in the first place . But for serious topics? I think it's a disaster quite honestly and sadly, a disaster that sometimes spills out into reality a little.

Facebook if anything is even worse. Local pages are handy for finding a local gardener or finding out why there's a power cut... but even THOSE have been getting really toxic lately (the local pages, not the gardeners).

Bin the whole thing, chalk it up as a horribly failed social experiment.

...that’s why I don’t really buy into ‘cancel culture’, I don’t think...(...or labels in general tbh...)...because I don’t think it’s that any conversations/debates/discussions etc are being stopped so much as they will become non starters in the first place on any social media site that is more a place of reactive stuff...it’s always been that way, though...choosing the right platform for debate and opening the debate in the right way are key ‘ingredients’....and obviously, that’s especially applicable for subjects which are highly sensitive in their nature...

Last edited by Ammi; 18-07-2020 at 05:22 AM.
Old 18-07-2020, 12:50 PM #123
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The true utter bull**** is what you've decided to spew over your keyboard in response. It's just gullible reactionary crap and no amount of flowery language will change that.

Your argument is fraught with nonsensical hysteria and ignorance. There ain't no one getting cancelled for nothing, sometimes you get psychos like Amber Heard that mislead and paint themselves as victims but most of the time, people act on the words and actions of others.

There's a difference between an opinion and hatred which is why hate speech isn't covered by freedom of speech. If someone spews hatred, it's the right of others to decide if they don't want to support that person.

Honestly, you only have to look as far as the metoo movement to see that you're talking rubbish, there's plenty of people who spoke out in favour of Metoo only to be revealed to be abusers themselves and left wing people weren't like 'you might be an abuser but you say the right things so it's k'. No, they hung them out to dry just as much as other abusers.

Honestly, if you like sitting on the fence then sit on the fence, don't need to write all that to try to justify doing so.
I'm not on the fence on this issue at all, I have no idea where you'd get that impression, but I can see that you're committed enough to the dogma to be incapable of having any debate on this issue (or any, recently?) that isn't set in concrete - and that isn't a debate at all. Ad hominem after ad hominem with zero scope for nuance. What on earth happened?

You say that no one gets cancelled for nothing - no one has said that they are. From the perspective of the people trying to do the cancelling. People are "cancelled" (or an attempt is made) for people not thinking as they think, or expressing the things they would like them to express, and because those people are so sure of their inherent "rightness" anyone who has a contrary opinion has "done wrong" from their perspective. That's half of my issue with it. My other half is that the whole thing relies on derpy mimicking from people who seemingly have little capacity for independent thought, in order to achieve a goal through "strength in numbers".

Finally, your suggestion that advocating for reasoned debate and intellectual rigour over aggressive single-minded partisan extremism constitutes "fence sitting and flowery language" is just several rungs below what I'm willing to engage with currently. I'm not going to any more.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 18-07-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 18-07-2020, 01:21 PM #124
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

I think a lot of people are going a bit gaga with the various isolations and lockdowns, along with the mental health issues the pandemic is causing (hello!) so people having a shorter fuse than normal and less truck with things is to be expected.

A nice walk in the park and and a (socially distanced!) to friends and familys gardens might do a world of good

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 01:24 PM #125
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

The term “cancelled” is so Black Mirror.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cancel, culture, greg, gutfeld, gutfield, jones, owen, tweet, uk, usa