Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 14-07-2020, 09:06 AM #26

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Well apparently its the WHO that has changed their advice, they said at first face masks were not that helpful ,they have now changed their minds so I don't know what the government is expected to do

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:11 AM #27
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
Well apparently its the WHO that has changed their advice, they said at first face masks were not that helpful ,they have now changed their minds so I don't know what the government is expected to do
it's not just that, if boris had said a few weeks ago that masks were compulsory, labour and the rest of them would have been saying did you consult industry before doing it etc etc. Face masks make no difference whatsoever if you social distance, thats plain and simple. Making masks compulsory means they will squash more into enclosed spaces, and that will ultimately be worse
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:12 AM #28
You know my methods

You know my methods

If someone coughs near you would you feel better if they had a mask on?. I know I would
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:15 AM #29
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
WHO more are disappointed in certain countries their lacklustre governments, how bad it has gotten in certain countries

USA, Brazil, UK are among those

so yeah i can think of their disappointing reactions having played a part too in Boris's decision to step it up with the face masks being a must in shops too

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:27 AM #30
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
WHO more are disappointed in certain countries their lacklustre governments, how bad it has gotten in certain countries

so yeah i can think of their disappointing reactions having played a part too in Boris's decision to step it up with the face masks being a must in shops too
what are your thoughts on Wales Nicky, no word from their leader yet on face coverings?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:27 AM #31
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post

Evidence?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:36 AM #32
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Michael Gove must feel a fool, as he should.

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:42 AM #33
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
what are your thoughts on Wales Nicky, no word from their leader yet on face coverings?
idk, but everywhere should be a must on face coverings in shops and public transport anyway

i do know info on other countries

Germany has also given advice to its people who are on holiday in other countries such as spain to wear face masks (most do, but some others don't who find them too uncomfortable)

my own country, hmm nothing on this yet, however we are taking other precautionary steps in terms of that upcoming second wave, like what i said in other coronavirus thread here ''local lockdowns, not another national lockdown'' more like strict observation at all times, and immediately contain the infected, since this virus is no longer a surprise now (unlike start of this year)

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:43 AM #34

The masks do work, it's a proven fact and has been for a while. I'm sorry that your government messed up so badly, I hope everyone now follows the guidelines and that new cases stop popping up soon.
Old 14-07-2020, 09:45 AM #35

Also it was 37º here yesterday and I wore a mask in the hallway of my apartment building, walking out on the street since I'd be passing a lot of elderly people's houses and in the supermarket of course, there's no excuse.
Old 14-07-2020, 09:48 AM #36
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
we were told from the start that wearing a face mask does not protect you from getting covid, it protects others from catching covid from you. Nothing has changed
Off the top of my head, 30% risk reduction if the uninfected person is wearing a mask, 70% reduction if the infected person is wearing a mask, 95%+ reduction if BOTH are wearing a mask. So while it's most important for infected people to be wearing one, it's optimal for both parties to be wearing one, and has SOME protective factor if just the healthy person is wearing one. These studies were carried out quite quickly and extensively in the US because they are desperate for an alternative to closing businesses, so the data has only become available since they started getting many more cases.

Quote:
That is true however the WHO changed the advice several weeks ago and the UK has been dragging their heels deciding on whether or not to implement it being mandatory. This isn't a Scottish brag either - it was only made mandatory here at the end of last week. It's been mandatory in other European countries for much longer.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:50 AM #37
-

-

Honestly I suspect they were waiting to see how it went in Scotland before deciding. They were worried about the backlash/non-compliance so they waited to see how it went down in Scotland. So far it seems like people are doing it without too much grumbling, so now England is going ahead with it. If there had been a lot of trouble over it up here, I don't think they'd be doing it down sarf.
Old 14-07-2020, 09:52 AM #38

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Quote:
He’s said he’s hesitant to implement a mandate for masks because the behaviour of people wearing them changes, our medical officers have been paying attention to places with mandates and mask wearers show signs on negligence when it comes to social distancing because they feel safe wearing their mask, I personally thinks that’s a dumb move, but we’ve got a significantly lower death and infection rate than England, we’d be better off to still introduce a mandate though
Old 14-07-2020, 10:18 AM #39
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
What I don't get is the outcry of shop staff dealing with this.
When the lockdown came in, staff were at the doors of shops, saying what you have to do.

You had to queue to get in.
Social distancing, with that monitored.

Supermarkets have security staff there.
All that has to be done is have them at the door.
If someone isn't wearing a mask, then they don't go in.
Just as at the start of lockdown,no one could just charge into the Store.
They had to go in, in order.

Near all abided by that and it was successful.

I see no reason why not admitting someone to a shop or store, who isn't or refuses to wear a facecovering, is any different.

It's just looking for irrelevant arguments against, that's just my view.

Yes a facecovering is irritating at first.
It's now just routine to me.

When I think in winter, seeing all these people wrapping scarves round their faces keeping out the cold.
Scarves of any material.

What on earth is the problem?
Its only really supermarkets who have had the luxury of having security staff and even a lot of those have had their hours cut recently so they're only on at peak times, tbh most major retailers have cut back staffing so much over the last few years that they can't have someone on the door at all hours of the day. In any case retail staff are not law enforcement: most are minimum wage, part time and predominantly female with many in their 50s and older or are very young with little experience in managing confrontation

Last edited by MTVN; 14-07-2020 at 10:19 AM.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 10:19 AM #40
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
He’s said he’s hesitant to implement a mandate for masks because the behaviour of people wearing them changes, our medical officers have been paying attention to places with mandates and mask wearers show signs on negligence when it comes to social distancing because they feel safe wearing their mask, I personally thinks that’s a dumb move, but we’ve got a significantly lower death and infection rate than England, we’d be better off to still introduce a mandate though
I tend to agree, if people are wearing masks they feel invincible and seem to forget about distancing

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 14-07-2020, 10:23 AM #41
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Honestly I suspect they were waiting to see how it went in Scotland before deciding. They were worried about the backlash/non-compliance so they waited to see how it went down in Scotland. So far it seems like people are doing it without too much grumbling, so now England is going ahead with it. If there had been a lot of trouble over it up here, I don't think they'd be doing it down sarf.
Think this is probably true, plus the latest figures are showing that retail is not recovering as hoped for and they think this might help people feel reassured although it could just as easily put people off shopping
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 10:35 AM #42
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Its only really supermarkets who have had the luxury of having security staff and even a lot of those have had their hours cut recently so they're only on at peak times, tbh most major retailers have cut back staffing so much over the last few years that they can't have someone on the door at all hours of the day. In any case retail staff are not law enforcement: most are minimum wage, part time and predominantly female with many in their 50s and older or are very young with little experience in managing confrontation
Even the local small shops where I am had no problem.

They only had a notice outside saying things like one or two in the shop at any time.
With markings showing 2m distance.

All I saw was that complied with and people queueing correctly to get in.

I see no problem, if someone is genuinely shopping, they'll be willing, even if not happy to do what are the rulings.

Some places have refused to handle cash, saying non contact payments only, if they can manage that, they can surely manage facecoverings too.
I just don't get the opposition to them.

I didn't like it at first, now it's just routine for me.
Anything in my view that may save even just one life unnecessarily lost is worth that little inconvenience to me.

If someone threw a stink bomb in a shop, people would be looking for anything to cover their noses then, I dare bet.

Last edited by joeysteele; 14-07-2020 at 10:35 AM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 10:39 AM #43
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
I think that's a valid concern and some research needs to be done into "passing" social distance. IIRC the risk of infection just walking past someone is very low, 2m distancing becomes important when you're in more prolonged contact (having a conversation, queueing etc.) and so it would be good to know if mask wearing does indeed mitigate that risk for it still to be "on balance" better to be a bit closer to someone WITH a mask than 2m from someone WITHOUT a mask.

Completely hyporthetically, I think there's probably a good argument for that, as the virus is mainly transmitted through droplets. I'd rather be 1m from someone coughing into a mask than 2m from someone coughing into the air.
Old 14-07-2020, 10:41 AM #44
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Throw 'em a couple of experienced Bookies staff on exchange for a few months; I've seen grown men run in terror from part-time female employees in their 50's .
Old 14-07-2020, 12:09 PM #45
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

shop workers will be exempt

Old 14-07-2020, 12:26 PM #46

Quote:
shop workers will be exempt
That is so stupid
Old 14-07-2020, 12:32 PM #47
Nah

Nah

During the traditional Bastille Day interview with the President, Macron announced the masks will be mandatory in shops and closed spaces on August 1st. Excellent news!
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 12:35 PM #48
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica. View Post
That is so stupid
It is indeed.

Not surprising if it's the case, from all the previous confusion in near all guidance from the government.

They just seem to get worse.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 12:37 PM #49
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Such a farcical

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 12:43 PM #50
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

I'm just glad covid has agreed to a 10 day moratorium to allow us to just chill for a bit first.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
24, compulsory, coverings, england, face, fine, july, shops, £100