Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:04 AM #1
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Default Nigel Farage investigates illegal immigrants staying at luxury 4* star hotel

Paid for by the tax payer! I'm not being racist by posting this, but you'd think they might setup a little camp like in Calais, imprison them or if they're going to put them in hotels put them in a premier inn. I blame the incompetent government
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:12 AM #2
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:

I stopped reading what you had to say at the “I’m not being racist” but narrative. You’re literally promoting this spineless worm. Anything he says or has any part in is fixed to his narrative.

Last edited by Samm; 02-08-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:24 AM #3
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
I stopped reading what you had to say at the “I’m not being racist” but narrative. You’re literally promoting this spineless worm. Anything he says or has any part in is fixed to his narrative.
I preface it with that because mentioning Nigel Farage brings that label and yes he is racist I’m not saying he isn’t and I’m blaming the government to allow this to happen you shouldn’t come over in a rubber dingy and get put in a 4* hotel period.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:25 AM #4

Yes its wrong they are in a 4* Expensive Hotel
that's costing money
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:28 AM #5

I'm more bothered about the tax payer forking out on multiple homes for rich self serving politicians who use their power to help their mates.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:32 AM #6

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

When the government wastes tens of millions of taxpayer money on useless coins and Brexit propaganda, this is like a drop in the ocean
Old 02-08-2020, 10:44 AM #7
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

It is a but wasteful when there are cheaper hotels, tis true. But there are also bigger things to worry about. Plus, I doubt they're getting the "four star experience" tbh

I've never heard Farage be racist tho

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:50 AM #8
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard. View Post
I preface it with that because mentioning Nigel Farage brings that label and yes he is racist I’m not saying he isn’t and I’m blaming the government to allow this to happen you shouldn’t come over in a rubber dingy and get put in a 4* hotel period.
Oh no, yes you’re right immigrants who are mostly running away from war, should be placed in horrific conditions. While the government are wasting more of our money on their rich mates.
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:53 AM #9
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

.... I’m just going to copy and paste my post from the other ‘illegal immigrant’ thread..

...they’re not illegal, that hotel is one which is allocated to give sanctuary to asylum seekers, while their claims will either be processed or rejected...because of their circumstances in their homelands, they’re legally entitled to make a claim to sanctuary in the U.K....so not illegal at all...that’s the spin and slant that the media and the Farages would have you believe...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:56 AM #10
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

.. will there ever come a time when it’s realised that agendas aimed to dehumanise prevail over truth...
Old 02-08-2020, 10:56 AM #11
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Oh no, yes you’re right immigrants who are mostly running away from war, should be placed in horrific conditions. While the government are wasting more of our money on their rich mates.
let those rich people in britain be the ones who pay more taxes, cause the rich avoid their taxes, also how it goes down here in Netherlands, same in US where the super rich protect each other

immigrants who run away from wars, conflicts, corruption deserve a better life yes, and not any more horrible conditions

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:19 PM #12
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
I'm more bothered about the tax payer forking out on multiple homes for rich self serving politicians who use their power to help their mates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
When the government wastes tens of millions of taxpayer money on useless coins and Brexit propaganda, this is like a drop in the ocean
Yes that’s also bad we shouldn’t be paying for that too glad you both agree with me
Old 02-08-2020, 12:21 PM #13
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Maybe the government need to build more houses too because there’s homeless Britain’s living in bed and breakfasts I should know as my family were homeless when I was 10 years old and four of us lived in one b&b bedroom so it’s a bit of a kick in the teeth that these men are coming over living in these hotels.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:22 PM #14
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
.... I’m just going to copy and paste my post from the other ‘illegal immigrant’ thread..

...they’re not illegal, that hotel is one which is allocated to give sanctuary to asylum seekers, while their claims will either be processed or rejected...because of their circumstances in their homelands, they’re legally entitled to make a claim to sanctuary in the U.K....so not illegal at all...that’s the spin and slant that the media and the Farages would have you believe...
Maybe but then as above why are they given better living conditions that Britain’s homeless? Not entirely blaming the immigrants or asylum seekers it’s the governments ***** up and distaste for the poor.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:24 PM #15
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Plus, I doubt they're getting the "four star experience" tbh
I think that's important to remember; hotels don't get their star ratings just based on the room itself, it's for the full service provided, facilities, food etc... The whole package. People put up there by the government are probably "on a cheap bulk deal" in the excess rooms they have available. They're getting a nice bed to sleep in, sure, but they're not getting a four-star-hotel experience and nor will the government be paying full price for the rooms.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:26 PM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

It’s like those places that offer holidays in The Sun, cheap holidays for people but they’re given the worst rooms and get the bare minimum experience, I’m personally glad our government seems to at least try to follow the law and treat these people like humans while they deal with the asylum claims

Last edited by Liam-; 02-08-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Liam- is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:29 PM #17
-

-

Quote:
put them in a premier inn.
The irony of course is that a lot of the new Premier Inns I've stayed in have actually been a better experience than some four-stars I've been in . For a start, the new built ones all have aircon (which can be ESSENTIAL in a stuffy hotel room in summer) and good showers which are a big criteria for me. Some with stars can be beautiful but a little outdated in terms of modern comforts, IMO.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:34 PM #18
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The irony of course is that a lot of the new Premier Inns I've stayed in have actually been a better experience than some four-stars I've been in . For a start, the new built ones all have aircon (which can be ESSENTIAL in a stuffy hotel room in summer) and good showers which are a big criteria for me. Some with stars can be beautiful but a little outdated in terms of modern comforts, IMO.
Still cheaper though, and I enjoyed staying in a travelodge for 2 weeks they clean your room for you
Old 02-08-2020, 12:36 PM #19
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

I just also have a problem with these people pushing the queue when there’s other asylum seekers who need refuge such as families but these guys cross the sea in tiny boats risking their lives and inspire others to do the same because obviously a hotel is better than a Calais camp which I’m aware no longer exists but obviously the hotel is more enticing.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:39 PM #20
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Maybe but then as above why are they given better living conditions that Britain’s homeless? Not entirely blaming the immigrants or asylum seekers it’s the governments ***** up and distaste for the poor.
...whilst it may be true that this hotel has a 4* rating, there will be many things/services that go to make that rating...and I doubt that the asylum seekers are being given all of those services...so to mislead with that, is very disingenuous...but that’s Nigel’s middle name, isn’t it...it’s what he is, it’s what he does...do we do enough for the homeless in this country...?...no, we absolutely don’t...but it’s not because of asylum seekers, that has no bearing at all on the funding put into homelessness, which is largely reliant on charities...
Old 02-08-2020, 12:42 PM #21
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
I just also have a problem with these people pushing the queue when there’s other asylum seekers who need refuge such as families but these guys cross the sea in tiny boats risking their lives and inspire others to do the same because obviously a hotel is better than a Calais camp which I’m aware no longer exists but obviously the hotel is more enticing.
...we don’t know any of the details of an application so it’s impossible to say ‘who needs more than someone else...’...the decision makers have the information that we don’t...
Old 02-08-2020, 12:44 PM #22
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...we don’t know any of the details of an application so it’s impossible to say ‘who needs more than someone else...’...the decision makers have the information that we don’t...
I just find it funny how the people defending the 4* hotel keep saying that they’re not receiving a 4* service (which how can you possibly know the conditions... the amount of people living their match the amount of rooms they have so we know they’re not living in a falling apart B&B with 4 people stuffed into a room with only a microwave to heat their food for 6 months like me and my family). Unless you live that experience you can’t defend a 4* star hotel by saying that not all 4* hotels are like the The Ritz
Old 02-08-2020, 12:49 PM #23
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
I just find it funny how the people defending the 4* hotel keep saying that they’re not receiving a 4* service (which how can you possibly know the conditions... the amount of people living their match the amount of rooms they have so we know they’re not living in a falling apart B&B with 4 people stuffed into a room with only a microwave to heat their food for 6 months like me and my family). Unless you live that experience you can’t defend a 4* star hotel by saying that not all 4* hotels are like the The Ritz
...I’m truly sorry that, that’s what you and your family have experienced, Wizard.....And that your accommodation wasn’t more comfortable...
Old 02-08-2020, 12:50 PM #24

Quote:
I find it funny that you're asking how can people possibly know when this thread is based on a lot of assumptions and not facts.

Then the added ridiculousness of you bringing a 5 star hotel into the discussion.

There are people living "The Ritz lifestyle" at the expense of the taxpayer but it's not asylum seekers.

Last edited by Marsh.; 02-08-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:55 PM #25
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
I find it funny that you're asking how can people possibly know when this thread is based on a lot of assumptions and not facts.

Then the added ridiculousness of you bringing a 5 star hotel into the discussion.

There are people living "The Ritz lifestyle" at the expense of the taxpayer but it's not asylum seekers.
I’m sorry, other people are defending it by saying that basically “well a 4* hotel isn’t all that” which I find absolutely absurd and quite disturbing. And then you bring rich people into it who are living it up which isn’t really relevant. We should think about the people who might be disadvantaged by this I.e. the homeless and other asylum seekers and criticising the government for having no plan or place to put them.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
farage, hotel, illegal, immigrants, investigates, luxury, nigel, star, staying