Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:45 PM #376

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

But you were being persecuted as well toy soldier...simply for either being the bookie or working for one, so it's exactly the same thing...but you held your cool, because you aint naturally violent in nature, unike your customers and these three violent people in this video..

Last edited by parmnion; 12-09-2020 at 09:48 PM.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:19 PM #377
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
But you were being persecuted as well toy soldier...simply for either being the bookie or working for one, so it's exactly the same thing...but you held your cool, because you aint naturally violent in nature, unike your customers and these three violent people in this video..
I wouldn't go that far Parmy - I don't think bookies have much of a moral high-ground and there's a reason (many reasons but it did boil down to morality in the end) that I took a different path. I do also think the reasons that some people are more predisposed to violence than others can be very complex. My point really was that in my actual experience of facing off with some very aggressive older people is that it just doesn't feel like a physically threatening situation at all so I can't buy into this idea that it was physical self defence or that they genuinely felt physically threatened. Some big blokes can be physically intimidating well into their 50's and 60's, certainly, but 70+? And also we can see this guy in the video, he just isn't intimidating at all. I don't understand how someone can see a sad, bitter old character like that and not just think "Wow, what a miserable mindset", maybe have a few words for them, but taking that step to take a full on swing at a brittle old head? Mind-boggling. I don't think it IS much different to a large grown man taking a swing at a kid, or a much smaller woman.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:20 PM #378
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Where have I said what people should do instead of applauding violence, other than "not applauding violence"?

Unless the suggestion is that if we can appreciate and understand why someone takes an action that we think is wrong... We should just "say nothing"?

"Oh I think that's a problematic and damaging message to be putting out into the world but I can understand why they feel that way - so I'll just not counter it in any way."

What a bleak future.
It was a reply to girth, read back it went along the lines of 'rise above it' or some such tosh.

Walk a mile in another man's shoes.

Last edited by Kizzy; 12-09-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:31 PM #379
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
read back it went along the lines of 'rise above it' or some such tosh.
It's a 16 page thread, I can only be honest and say that's not going to happen

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 12-09-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:36 PM #380
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
While it may sound like an extremely odd flex - [B]agree, violence in and I would say around 5 or 6 that involved a shove, clothing being grabbed, a vague swing being taken and while I was never actually punched, the worst incident did involve tables being flipped & chairs thrown.

I will I suppose add that there was obviously no race element, and also that I was working at the time (although I don't think that part is relevant in terms of talking about people losing their temper - I certainly didn't have any sort of conflict training).

But I can say with absolute certainty that I have never and would never take a swing at an old man, because the likelihood of serious harm is just too high. Being really blunt... In those situations they seem pathetic, a bit sad, and you're mainly worried that if they don't calm down they're going to end up hurting themself.
Is that when you worked in the gambling industry?.

I see what you're saying and I agree. Violence is never the answer but theres more than that.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

Last edited by GiRTh; 12-09-2020 at 10:36 PM.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:48 PM #381

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I'm all for the violent reaction to a younger guy spouting the monkey word though..so I dknt agree with violence never being an option.. just one sided violence dont sit right with me...
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:56 PM #382

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
Then people need to keep their hands to themselves.
That’s the crux of it
Old 13-09-2020, 03:37 AM #383
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...obviously there is still much to be confirmed/clarified with this ...but I think what has been a vein throughout this thread is that ..‘violence’ is never the answer’ type thing can’t always be applied ...in that violence won’t solve etc but there are situations that it could become a ‘probable’ in reaction to something.../..a chain of events and provocations, type thing...there are just too many grey areas...

...we teach our children not to use violence but that’s a whole ‘big lesson’ as well when we teach them...it’s not just a ..well, don’t do it, it’s never the answer../type black and white thing...because we also ...(...not just in regarding to violence...)..teach them consequences of words and actions when those words and actions become extreme ...’well if you take a swing at someone..(..as reported here...)...then that person might just take a swing back and you might be the one who is more hurt...because you’ve just lost control/you’ve ‘invited something’....so that’s a whole big thing as well ...the older guy felt that physically laying his hands on..(...if that’s true as has been said...)...was ‘the answer‘ when hands were pushed off the holding bar on the bus..then ‘his answer’ was racial abuse...then he changed his answer to taking a swing at...he had many answers it seems, but he didn’t consider a possible reply to his own answers....

...I personally would never applaud any violence in any way because I abhor it...(...except in a movie type situation ....when a bully or abusive person/racist person..)...’gets a slap/ a comeuppance..’../...type thing and I know that I shouldn’t but I do sometimes ‘applaud’ and say yayyyyyyy...but it’s sometimes easy to see what that can happen as well...

...it’s just sad that it would feel that the older guy didn’t have that ‘violence is never the answer’ chat with his parents when a swing was apparently taken..../...and the prejudice isn’t the answer chat...and the verbally abusing people isn’t the answer chat and etc...and etc...it’s good to get the chats done long before becoming an older person...

Last edited by Ammi; 13-09-2020 at 03:38 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 05:44 AM #384
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I wouldn't be jumping around celebrating that an old guy got punched however it's hard to have sympathy either when he's got such a vile mouth on him
Same here tbh.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 05:53 AM #385

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
I'm all for the violent reaction to a younger guy spouting the monkey word though..so I dknt agree with violence never being an option.. just one sided violence dont sit right with me...
It's very easy to say that though when you aren't the one being targeted.

To me whilst what happened to the old man is clearly wrong morally, it's also a natural Human reaction imo to lash out if you're being verbally/racially abused by a stranger.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 13-09-2020 at 05:54 AM.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
monkey, pensioner, retorts