Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
Scarlett.
Materia Girl
 
Scarlett.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 39,697


Arrow Xbox aquires Zenimax/Bethesda

__________________
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Toy Soldier
Volcanic Protector Man
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 23,104
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Luckily I play pretty much anything "first person" on PC anyway, but this is a pretty big blow for Sony surely?
__________________
___________________________________
I smile and I say that the world is just fine,
as these ****ing parasites eat up my spine,
So I ask you once, and I ask you again;
Where do your roots start,
And where do your roots end?
___________________________________



Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,807

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Xbox are finally doing something, huh?

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out tbh, I'll be surprised if the games remain exclusive to Microsoft consoles as it's had a torrid time of selling exclusives in recent years that aren't Gears or Halo.

With the PS5 likely to dominate like the PS4 did, and with Microsoft unbothered about winning the console war this time around, I think the major franchises like Elder Scrolls and Fallout will probably remain multi-platform releases since I reckon Microsoft will earn more money that way.
__________________

Last edited by Dezzy; 21-09-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
Ramsay
His blood is bad.
 
Ramsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Papua New Guinea
Posts: 29,635
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett
BB18: Arthur
BBUSA19: Cody


Default

Next elder scrolls day one game pass
__________________

Last edited by Ramsay; 21-09-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
Toy Soldier
Volcanic Protector Man
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 23,104
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Xbox are finally doing something, huh?

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out tbh, I'll be surprised if the games remain exclusive to Microsoft consoles as it's had a torrid time of selling exclusives in recent years that aren't Gears or Halo.

With the PS5 likely to dominate like the PS4 did, and with Microsoft unbothered about winning the console war this time around, I think the major franchises like Elder Scrolls and Fallout will probably remain multi-platform releases since I reckon Microsoft will earn more money that way.
Timed exclusives are always a possibility... which I personally am not a fan of, especially as a fan of narrative-driven games, and the huge likelihood of spoilers on release.
__________________
___________________________________
I smile and I say that the world is just fine,
as these ****ing parasites eat up my spine,
So I ask you once, and I ask you again;
Where do your roots start,
And where do your roots end?
___________________________________



Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
Black Dagger
Lucas Leanne
 
Black Dagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stockport, England
Posts: 43,886
Blog Entries: 3

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
DOI 2019: Saara Aalto
IAC2018: Anne Hegerty
Strictly 2018: Stacey Dooley


Default

Massive news. Theyre making strides this gen.

Still expect PlayStation to dominate in Asia and Europe like usual but happy that Microsoft are actually challenging them.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
Scarlett.
Materia Girl
 
Scarlett.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 39,697


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Timed exclusives are always a possibility... which I personally am not a fan of, especially as a fan of narrative-driven games, and the huge likelihood of spoilers on release.

Speaking of which, Microsoft are now publising two timed PS5 exclusives with this purchase
__________________
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #8
Toy Soldier
Volcanic Protector Man
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 23,104
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
Next elder scrolls day one game pass
I'd forgotten about Game Pass, if they put Bethesda stuff on there on release it'll be a no-brainer. I keep forgetting that you can get in on PC, even though I was subbed for a while. In fact even the library they have now is tempting for £8 a month... it was pretty bare when I had it a year+ back but there's quite a bit more on there now.
__________________
___________________________________
I smile and I say that the world is just fine,
as these ****ing parasites eat up my spine,
So I ask you once, and I ask you again;
Where do your roots start,
And where do your roots end?
___________________________________



Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,807

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Timed exclusives are always a possibility... which I personally am not a fan of, especially as a fan of narrative-driven games, and the huge likelihood of spoilers on release.
It's possible but even something like that has worked out poorly for devs that have released timed exclusives on Xbox before, most notably was Rise of the Tomb Raider which was a complete flop in it's exclusive period, and that was coming off the back of a very popular rebooted Tomb Raider game.

I think with Bethesda's mega franchises, Microsoft will probably give them the Minecraft treatment and realise that it's more profitable to have them be multi-platform. I can see franchises like The Evil Within potentially becoming Xbox exclusives and being built up as an important franchise for Microsoft, especially considering how Sony have almost certainly acquired Silent Hill for the PS5. Dishonored and Wolfenstein would likely be good fits for exclusivity as well, potentially even Doom if Microsoft are feeling daring.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
Toy Soldier
Volcanic Protector Man
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 23,104
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
It's possible but even something like that has worked out poorly for devs that have released timed exclusives on Xbox before, most notably was Rise of the Tomb Raider which was a complete flop in it's exclusive period, and that was coming off the back of a very popular rebooted Tomb Raider game.

I think with Bethesda's mega franchises, Microsoft will probably give them the Minecraft treatment and realise that it's more profitable to have them be multi-platform. I can see franchises like The Evil Within potentially becoming Xbox exclusives and being built up as an important franchise for Microsoft, especially considering how Sony have almost certainly acquired Silent Hill for the PS5. Dishonored and Wolfenstein would likely be good fits for exclusivity as well, potentially even Doom if Microsoft are feeling daring.
There is quite a strong correlation between Xbox Loyalty and First Person Shooters I think, going back to ye olde "everyone plays CoD on 360" days so it is a good fit in that sense. Though obviously, as a member of the PC master race, I can't condone playing a first-person game with anything other than Keyboard and Mouse, so... .
__________________
___________________________________
I smile and I say that the world is just fine,
as these ****ing parasites eat up my spine,
So I ask you once, and I ask you again;
Where do your roots start,
And where do your roots end?
___________________________________



Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #11
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,807

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
There is quite a strong correlation between Xbox Loyalty and First Person Shooters I think, going back to ye olde "everyone plays CoD on 360" days so it is a good fit in that sense. Though obviously, as a member of the PC master race, I can't condone playing a first-person game with anything other than Keyboard and Mouse, so... .
Yeah, that's my thought pattern as well, with the exception of Fallout and Elder Scrolls (Doom is 50/50 I think), I think Bethesda's First person franchises will all likely be exclusives.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #12
Fetch The Bolt Cutters
-
 
Fetch The Bolt Cutters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 34,320


Default

Does this mean the games won’t release at all on PS?

Idk how it works
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #13
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,807

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch The Bolt Cutters View Post
Does this mean the games wonít release at all on PS?

Idk how it works
It's unknown yet, I think it's likely that the bigger franchises won't be exclusive though, since some Microsoft properties are multi-platform.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #14
Shaun
ooo
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 105,039
Blog Entries: 17

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Ian Wright
X Factor Celebrity: V5
Strictly 2019: Dev Griffin
BB19: Kay


Default

Wasn't one of the Dishonoreds a PS+ game last year? I wouldn't have thought exclusivity for Xbox would be an option with that in the PS library.
__________________

AS5 Faves: Mariah, Jujubee, Alexis, Mayhem & Shea
Season 12 Faves: Heidi, Jaida, Jan, Crystal & Widow
DRUK Faves: The Vivienne, Divina, Vinegar & Sum Ting Wong

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch The Bolt Cutters View Post
What kind of ugly scum?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #15
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,807

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Wasn't one of the Dishonoreds a PS+ game last year? I wouldn't have thought exclusivity for Xbox would be an option with that in the PS library.
It won't affect released games, if any games are exclusive it'll be ones released going forward. Like, they bought The Outer Worlds' developer before the game released but it still released on all the platforms.

It likely won't affect ongoing games like Elder Scrolls online either.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #16
Toy Soldier
Volcanic Protector Man
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 23,104
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch The Bolt Cutters View Post
Does this mean the games wonít release at all on PS?

Idk how it works
Build yourself a gaming PC you will love it. It's a ridiculously expensive hobby and you will get hooked on the endorphin surge of new parts arriving in the post and end up spending literally all of your spare money on it ... ...

... Actually don't do it, I spend £80 on a mouse last month 'cos it has RGB lights that you can make flash in time with in-game music. It is a DISEASE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Wasn't one of the Dishonoreds a PS+ game last year? I wouldn't have thought exclusivity for Xbox would be an option with that in the PS library.
Usually it would only affect new releases, not things that are already published... so it wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

To be honest it probably depends on how it affects console sales after the first couple of releases. If exclusivity looks to be driving Xbox sales then they may well stick with it. If it doesn't make much difference (and especially if PS5 ends up with a large market share, which I think seems likely looking at buyer intention) then I think they'll publish most games multi-platform. Especially as the generation progresses.
__________________
___________________________________
I smile and I say that the world is just fine,
as these ****ing parasites eat up my spine,
So I ask you once, and I ask you again;
Where do your roots start,
And where do your roots end?
___________________________________



Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #17
Ramsay
His blood is bad.
 
Ramsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Papua New Guinea
Posts: 29,635
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett
BB18: Arthur
BBUSA19: Cody


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'd forgotten about Game Pass, if they put Bethesda stuff on there on release it'll be a no-brainer. I keep forgetting that you can get in on PC, even though I was subbed for a while. In fact even the library they have now is tempting for £8 a month... it was pretty bare when I had it a year+ back but there's quite a bit more on there now.
It's really the best deal in gaming right now. They're adding EA Access to it in a few months too
__________________
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #18
Scarlett.
Materia Girl
 
Scarlett.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 39,697


Default

Microsoft owns Mojang, but released Minecraft Dungeons on PS4 this year
__________________
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #19
Toy Soldier
Volcanic Protector Man
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 23,104
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett. View Post
Microsoft owns Mojang, but released Minecraft Dungeons on PS4 this year
Minecraft is a bit of a "special case" though, with crossplay being available on all platforms etc. Me, my wife and my daughter can play Minecraft multiplayer on PC, PS4 and Switch which is an odd but very welcome experience. Even if logging into a LIVE account via PS4/Switch is clunky and a pain in the arse.
__________________
___________________________________
I smile and I say that the world is just fine,
as these ****ing parasites eat up my spine,
So I ask you once, and I ask you again;
Where do your roots start,
And where do your roots end?
___________________________________



Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 08:53 PM   #20
Fetch The Bolt Cutters
-
 
Fetch The Bolt Cutters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 34,320


Default

Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #21
Scarlett.
Materia Girl
 
Scarlett.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 39,697


Default

__________________

Last edited by Scarlett.; 21-09-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #22
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,807

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett. View Post
As expected. I can't imagine Fallout and Elder Scrolls ever being fully exclusive since I honestly don't know if you can do a Triple A project like that and release it on Xbox and turn a profit if you don't also indulge what will likely be a vast PS5 audience.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 10:55 PM   #23
Toy Soldier
Volcanic Protector Man
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 23,104
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch The Bolt Cutters View Post
Honestly the bugs are PART of those games and no one wants this . Would Skyrim have been Skyrim if there weren't mammoths falling from the sky and dragons flying backwards in the first release?
__________________
___________________________________
I smile and I say that the world is just fine,
as these ****ing parasites eat up my spine,
So I ask you once, and I ask you again;
Where do your roots start,
And where do your roots end?
___________________________________



Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
aquires, xbox, zenimax or bethesda

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:17 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts