Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:54 PM #26
-

-

I don’t understand why you’d want to have a dog that has the capacity to kill a child (heck, even an adult). Yes, you could say that 99% of the time a well trained/looked after dog will be fine, but there’s always that chance that any breed could turn, let alone one that could rip out your neck with its jaw. One thing deciding to own one but a whole other deciding to when you have a child (or children).
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:05 AM #27
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake. View Post
I don’t understand why you’d want to have a dog that has the capacity to kill a child (heck, even an adult). Yes, you could say that 99% of the time a well trained/looked after dog will be fine, but there’s always that chance that any breed could turn, let alone one that could rip out your neck with its jaw. One thing deciding to own one but a whole other deciding to when you have a child (or children).

with all honesty, if you got a little child (or children) you shouldn't go for a pit bull as choice of dog then

don't blame it just on the dog, but the person who chooses them is fully aware (i hope) of the fact you got little child (or children) at your home, and you also should be aware of this particular dog breed having capacity to wound or kill a child (not intentionally but it is still in its nature to bite at something what crawls)

tbh if you want a dog when you got little children, best choice would be a dachshund

or if you want a trained (and one who can fully listen to orders) German Shepherd probably, i mean that one looks dangerous but looks can be deceiving, it's actually a good dog to its master (which is why police force and military use those kind of dogs too, since they are easy to train, and easy to bond with one person)

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:20 AM #28
-

-

Hmmmm having grown up with terriers and now owning a dumb floppy Lab, I have to say that the idea that dog temperament has "nothing to do with breed" is clearly just not true. Temprement absolutely can be selectively bred just like any other trait.

I do think crap owners is likely 80% of the problem but you're never going to solve that part of the problem.

I think it's also important to remember that dog breeds are not "natural species" or "race" - they're all just dogs, selectively bred out of choice by humans.

It shouldn't be illegal to own them but it should remain illegal to deliberately breed those traits. I feel the same about breeds where reckless "trait exaggeration" has caused health issues, e.g. Pugs.

There is an effort to "fix" the Pug breed amougst responsible breeders by starting to breed out the very flat face which causes breathing problems. Perhaps the same could be done with pitbulls?

As a final note, I would point out that American Pitbulls and Staffies are NOT the same thing. There's often confusion there, with people thinking it's a similar thing to how Staffies are vilified in the UK. A staffie is not a pitbull.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:26 AM #29
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

tbh overturning the ban is good anyway, regarding this topic

i think pit bulls mainly well they are good guard dogs, as for families i would suggest to bring up the advice to people, no pit bulls for families with little children

also i feel sad for them anyway (apparently it is known that they have trouble breathing, more than other breeds of dogs)

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Last edited by Nicky91; 07-11-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:57 AM #30
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

I'm sort of glad this ban has been lifted.

I do think the greater problem is with bad owners or those who wish to have a more aggressive dog.
All dogs can be dangerous.

My love is for Staffies and I've yet to come across one really vicious at the outset.
Although Staffy crosses can be, I've found less tolerant.

The only dog I've been bitten by in my life, for no other reason than just walking past it was a Jack Russell.

However, I'm confident around Dogs and so have no fear around them.
I think they sense that and know when they're not at risk of being harmed or that harm is being brought to the family they're with.

So while I understand the reservations of others on this thread.
I'm glad this ban has been lifted.

Because Pitbulls can be as rewarding to have as pets as any other breed.
In my opinion anyway.

Last edited by joeysteele; 07-11-2020 at 09:58 AM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ban, bulls, city, denver, overturned, pit, voters