Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 18-11-2021, 02:49 PM #301
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
The actual answer is we will have to live with it

we cant "solve it"
No the actual answer is we won't solve it and the planet will most likely be uninhabitable in 200 years time (big chunks of it within the next 50) .

Call me a pessimist. And again that's not an activist-y "WE HAFTA DO SOMETHING", it's an acceptance that 7+ billion humans crawling about the planet is about 100 times too many for it to realistically support. We broke it, it's done. We're actually quite privileged in a way, to be here witnessing the quite clear self-destruction and final days of the only known sapient species in existence. Again that's not a plea to fix it. The deal is signed and sealed lol.

To be fair as I always say I do hold onto a SLIGHT hope but it's not a hope that people in general will fix it. I think there's a small hope that these will be technological solutions to reverse the damage that's been done and control climate directly - or perhaps to live successfully full-time in biodomes either on or off Earth (The Moon, Mars) and humanity will live on in that way (a few million maybe) until the first solution is possible. I can see that quite feasibly happening. The theory behind terraforming is quite solid, I guess they just imagined it'd be Mars we'd be terraforming, not Earth itself .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 03:26 PM #302
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

i think we will go back to an equilibrium. There will be less habitable places on earth, the population will drop dramatically and as a result, the atmosphere will clear itself out allowing for a reboot

If we channelled all the money currently going into green panic into a technology solution, it would probably be more successful than the situation we have now where people just don't want to change their lifestyles. But, quite honestly, i'm bored of all the hand wringing now, these protestors are just naïve and annoying
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 08:53 PM #303
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
i think we will go back to an equilibrium. There will be less habitable places on earth, the population will drop dramatically and as a result, the atmosphere will clear itself out allowing for a reboot

If we channelled all the money currently going into green panic into a technology solution, it would probably be more successful than the situation we have now where people just don't want to change their lifestyles. But, quite honestly, i'm bored of all the hand wringing now, these protestors are just naïve and annoying

Apparently, it doesn’t work like that, there’s a point of no return at which even if all human activity on the planet stopped over night, the climate change effect is self-sustaining and the planet still boils. And that point of no return is long before “natural selection” starts to take care of things.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2012, 2019, 2020, 2021, climate, cop26, johnson, live, nov, pm, scotland, summit, virtual