Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 28-01-2021, 04:07 PM #26
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

I'm gonna try and rush together the songs countdown now, but in the meantime, here's every other album I listened to that didn't quite make the list (in order from best, to worst)

Quote:
Megan Thee Stallion - Suga - 7.5
Kesha - High Road - 7.5
Purity Ring - Womb - 7/10
Thundercat - It Is What It Is - 7/10
Halsey - Manic - 7/10
Future Islands - As Long As You Are - 7/10
Glass Animals - Dreamland - 7/10
The Killers - Imploding the Mirage - 7/10
Victoria Monet - Jaguar - 7/10
Idles - Ultra Mono - 7/10
Disclosure - Ecstasy - 7/10
Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension - 7/10
The Big Moon - Walking Like We Do - 7/10
Little Dragon - New Me, Same Us - 7/10
Selena Gomez - Rare - 6.5/10
Future - High Off Life - 6.5/10
Sam Smith - Love Goes - 6.5
Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue - 6.5
Cut Copy - Freeze, Melt - 6.5
Real Estate - The Main Thing - 6.5
Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B - 6.5/10
BTS - Map of the Soul: 7 - 6/10
Sufjan Stevens & Lowell Brams - Aporia - 6/10
Bombay Bicycle Club - Everything Else Has Gone Wrong - 6/10
Teyana Taylor - The Album - 6/10
Steps - What the Future Holds - 6/10
Childish Gambino - Donald Glover Presents - 5.5/10
Ariana Grande - positions - 5.5/10
Little Mix - Confetti - 5.5
The Naked and Famous - Recover - 5.5
5 Seconds of Summer - CALM - 5.5/10
Ava Max - Heaven and Hell - 5/10
Kygo - Golden Hour - 5/10
Grouplove - Healer - 5/10
Jhene Aiko - Chilombo - 5/10
Eminem - Music to be Murdered By - 4.5/10
Kehlani - It Was Good Until It Wasn't - 4.5/10
Katy Perry - Smile - 4/10
Drake - Dark Lane Demo Tapes - 4/10
Washed Out - Purple Noon - 3.5/10
Justin Bieber - Changes - 2/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Last edited by Shaun; 28-01-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 05:22 PM #27
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Right. Slight disaster narrowly averted - forgot to put 'Midnight Sky' in my list when it came out. Everything else has been taken from a Spotify playlist I've been building over the year (checking out every New Music Friday), so I hopefully haven't missed something major... but there's always the chance something didn't really grab me on release but has since grown a lot. Oh well. C'est la vie.

I don't really have any concrete system for ranking these - ie. if I've put something at #94, is it necessarily worse than the song at #93? No - but it's just an easier format to present it in than to just drop 100 songs on you and expect you to listen to them all ANYWAY. Preamble over, here's the first ten...

#100 - "Oh! Euphoria!" by Twin Atlantic
I'm gonna keep these write-ups brief because there's a bloody hundred of them. The album the Scots released this year wasn't brilliant, but I still really liked its opener.

#99 - "Weird!" by Yungblud
I'm probably double the age of his target demographic, but that doesn't mean this wasn't one of the more interesting things been pimped by Radio 1 this year!

#98 - "No Sweat" by Jessie Reyez
A little short-sighted leaving this off the album, because it was better than anything on it. Super dancey, catchy and fun.

#97 - "No Shame" by 5 Seconds to Summer
is this the portion of my countdown where I get all of the things out I'm a little embarrassed to like? yes! yes it is!

#96 - "Better Off Without You" by Becky Hill & Shift K3Y
She might not really shake up her signature sound, but why would you when it's as catchy as this?

#95 - "Know Your Worth" by Khalid & Disclosure
There've been a couple of projects worked on by this pair together over the years, but this has probably been my favourite. Very feelgood, and not just literally and lyrically.

#94 - "Chasing Rainbows" by Big Freedia & Kesha
After guesting on Kesha's last album, 'High Road', the favour was paid back on a much better song.

#93 - "I Can See The Change" by Celeste
Got to feel sympathy for Celeste; 2020 was written down to be 'her year' and then... everything happened. Luckily, she's releasing her debut album tomorrow. This'll be a better year. Right? (her voice is gorgeous on this song)

#92 - "I Don't Know Why" by NOTD & Astrid S
The Norwegian popstar really kicked into gear in 2020, and there's more of her to come on this list. This song though... pure joy.

#91 - "Shh... Don't Say It" by FLETCHER
Truth be told... I don't know anything about FLETCHER. This was very much a random discovery, letting one of those New Music Friday playlists play a little longer than usual. Fantastic song, though, and she happens to be beautiful.

Quote:

Old 28-01-2021, 06:11 PM #28
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

I found Fletcher in the middle of the year, her “You Ruined New York City EP” was cute and Forever was a bop, haven’t heard Shhh so I’ll check it out later

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 06:01 PM #29
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

She seems like someone who's on the rise (or at least was prior to touring being a thing of the past was due to open for Lewis Capaldi and Niall Horan)

#90 - "Never Come Back" by Caribou
I have a pretty bad headache as I'm writing this, so the video (and, tbh, the song itself) is not really what I want in my life right now... but for a good chunk of the year it's been a bop! So it'd be cruel to omit it now!

#89 - "Break Up Song" by Little Mix
Girlbands borrowing heavily from the 1980s is always going to be something on my radar, especially when it's a rare great single from one of the most middling pop acts around right now.

#88 - "Elevator Girl" by Shura & Ivy Sole
Dropping this as an extra little treat after her album in 2019, 'Elevator Girl' was a surprising new sound for Shura - channeling a little bit of Erykah Badu or Thundercat.

#87 - "Vulnerable" by Selena Gomez
It's extremely rare for me to give Miss Gomez the time of day, but kudos to whoever produced this for her. Understated, and yet catchy as hell.

#86 - "Broken Glass" by Kygo & Kim Petras
If you, like me, thought that Kygo was a fad from 2015 that should be left in the past - perhaps consider this alternative, because it's something that made summer a little more fun.

#85 - "Homecoming" by Lil Uzi Vert
I very much hold the whole trap genre with little more than contempt, but the beat on this was something... I actually wanted to listen to

#84 - "B.S." by Jhené Aiko & H.E.R.
I've really enjoyed Aiko's laidback, honey-like voice for a few years now... unfortunately 'Chilombo' was a boring listen for me, but it did contain this gem.

#83 - "Hold Out" by Sam Fender
Another singer dropping a one-off* straight off the back of a successful album was Fender, who I genuinely assumed was Scottish until I read up on him. North Shields is close enough, right?
*turns out he released another in November. Oops. Misinformation everywhere!

#82 - "Algorhythm" by Childish Gambino
Uuugh... when he gets it right, he gets it right. Glover's album in 2020 was a huge misfire; a whirlwind of muddled production and confused themes that just didn't inspire me at all. This was one of the more interesting cuts from it; an industrial nightmare that's menacing in all the right ways.

#81 - "Experience" by Victoria Monét, Khalid & SG Lewis
Someone who's almost destined to be huge when she finally drops an album rather than some EPs; this is a gorgeous, summery disco anthem that should've enjoyed as much success as your Say Sos and your Hallucinates.

Quote:

Old 29-01-2021, 06:48 PM #30
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..this is such a beat.......

Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 11:16 PM #31
ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Zak
BBCanada 9: Victoria

ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Zak
BBCanada 9: Victoria

Going back to albums (soz) I would STRONGLY recommend The Angel You Don't Know by Amaarae. it's had a lot of critical acclaim but not the amount of hype it deserves.

Plenty of excellent choices tho
LemonJam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 07:10 AM #32
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..(...I’m listening to the album now, James...her voice is sensational.....)...
Old 31-01-2021, 08:53 PM #33
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Missed yesterday's so here, have twenty and don't tell your mum

#80 - "Don't Think" by The Big Moon
I must have missed their 2017 debut, but they dropped off a sophomore effort at the very start of 2020 and this was my favourite cut from it; sort-of disco, sort-of Arcade Firey, sort-of ABBAesque.

#79 - "Bury Us" by The Naked and Famous
The New Zealanders have been dropping wonderful pop singles for over a decade now, with fading popularity this was a joyous start to the year, though.

#78 - "My High" by Disclosure, slowthai & Aminé
Their sound is usually a lot more chilled and gentle, so this single came along as a bolt of lightning, really. I guess it shook up a lot of people, because it's been nominated for Best Dance Recording at the upcoming GRAMMYs.

#77 - "Only Time Makes It Human" by King Princess
Something about this music video creeps me out, but the song itself is a super-catchy, sexy, breezy follow-up on her album from the year prior.

#76 - "Champagne Problems" by Taylor Swift
Something about the lyrics on this track just struck me as engaging. It touches upon mental illness in with a delicate tenderness and is one of her best ballads she's ever written.

#75 - "Oh No" by Biig Piig
Love the production on this - incredibly understated and yet full of sweeping sound effects and atmosphere.

#74 - "Diamonds" by Sam Smith
Sam Smith has really come into their own as an artist and a performer since the stiflingly safe debut record full of radio-friendly ballads. They're more known for upsetting just about everyone with interviews and personal revelations now, but the music in 2020 was, at times, sublime. People loved to make fun of George Michael until he died; hopefully we don't go down that avenue again.

#73 - "Let Me Love You Like a Woman" by Lana del Rey
Coming off the back of one of the 2010s' best albums was always going to be difficult, and for a time the buildup singles to the upcoming Chemtrails Over the Country Club had a lightly underwhelming hue. This was a snap back to goodness, though.

#72 - "The Difference" by Flume & Toro y Moi
A song has to be really ****ing good to stand out if it's only 2:20 long... and I just found myself coming back to this when I wanted something to dance to. There's an extended mix, thankfully.

#71 - "Forgive Me" by Chloe x Halle
My favourite track from their album was this: a slick, layered production with gorgeous vocals, choreo, a fine selection of leather and PVC and one of the best videos of the year.

#70 - "Head & Heart" by Joel Corry & MNEK
Okay, so Corry's singles have stuck to a pretty rigid formula and it's not the most groundbreaking material, but lord that man knows how to craft a hook. I've genuinely enjoyed all of them so far, and it was a toss-up between this and 'Lonely' for this list, but in the end MNEK's vocals and performances on various TV shows have given it the edge.

#69 - "The Adults Are Talking" by The Strokes
Could honestly be taken straight off of Reptilia or Is This It? So, so good and one of the most convincing returns to form in recent memory.

#68 - "Automatic Driverl" by La Roux
Quite suprising that this wasn't the lead single, to be honest - there's a lot going on and I keep finding new favourite elements in the instrumentation and the structure of it.

#67 - "Relay" by Fiona Apple
I'll let Apple explain it herself:
"I wrote the line, “Evil is a relay sport, when the one you burn turns to pass the torch” when I was 15. I just always liked it. [If] you get burned by somebody, when the person who burns you doesn’t acknowledge it — which rarely happens to people, acknowledging when they’ve burned you — it turns into you not knowing what to do with it. Then you just put it on somebody else. The assault when I was 12 made me think about innocence and guilt and forgiveness. It made me think about a lot of big things. Because the first thing I did after it happened was pray for him. But you can’t stop at praying for them. You have to hold them responsible.

The Kavanaugh hearings in 2018 brought on a lot of **** to deal with. I don’t know what it is, that guy. There are so many of them out there, but that one guy — the fact that he’s on the Supreme Court really is probably the thing, but his ****ing attitude is just like — it was the externalized version of what you know a lot of them are feeling inside. Just this indignant, “How could you be mad at me? Don’t make me suffer. But I’m married, but I have kids, so I can’t be a bad guy. But I was just young, don’t be so mean to me, that girl’s being mean to me.” Oh my God. Thank you, ****ing Brett Kavanaugh, for letting my anger see the light of day: Thank you for being so horrible."

#66 - "Hallucinate" by Dua Lipa
This was definitely the track that jumped out at me the most from when Future Nostalgia dropped (and I had burned through the love for Physical). Something very turn-of-the-century about it, channelling all those classic dance-pop singles like Stardust, Daft Punk or Madison Avenue.

#65 - "The Recipe" by Aluna, KAYTRANADA & Rema
She went solo this year and dropped a string of singles, but I'm unsure if an album's materialised or not. This was the best one, teaming up with one of my favourite producers and creating an infectious rhythm

#64 - "Take Yourself Home" by Troye Sivan
Sivan is already one of the most dependable stars in pop today; guaranteed to come back with something with a groove, an effortless ease, and an unmatched listenability.

#63 - "Care" by Beabadobee
Something about Gen-Z really seems to have taken the culture of the early 1990s to heart; from the aesthetics of shows like Sex Education to the unapologetic revival of grunge-pop best showcased this year by Beabadobee. A slight tinge of the poppiest sides of The Cure, and a smidgen of New Radicals about it too.

#62 - "UN DIA (ONE DAY)" by J Balvin, Bad Bunny, Tainy & Dua Lipa
Had 2020 been a regular year, and people were able to flock to bars and rooftop terraces, I would've placed a bet on this being the song of the summer. Extremely carefree, sunny and infectious.

#61 - "Anyone But Me" by Joy Crookes
I'm really excited to hear more from Crookes, because she's demonstrated, on this track, an ability to channel intense beauty from a fraught mind.

Quote:

Old 01-02-2021, 06:00 AM #34
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...Joy Crookes is a someone that I just discovered last year, she’s pretty sensational......

Old 02-02-2021, 08:24 PM #35
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

What can I say? I'm inconsistent, girls!

#60 - "pov" by Ariana Grande
Trying to find the good in any of Grande's recent releases can be an arduous effort; one that was made slightly easier in 2020 with the presence of this slow-building bedroom jam.

#59 - "Young Man" by The Chicks
I already mentioned this song specifically in my albums countdown for its lyrical theme: delivering advice to her sons during her divorce. Strikingly beautiful.

#58 - "yankee and the brave (ep. 4)" by Run the Jewels
This is the opening track to a raucous album that's full of ambition to destroy capitalism, police brutality and bipartisan politics... I wasn't aware of this music video before I wrote this up, so this was a fun surprise.

#57 - "Savage (Remix)" by Megan Thee Stallion & Beyoncé
Perhaps COVID-19 offered one positive: nobody had to witness a legion of embarrassing white girls try and dance to this.

#56 - "Paradisin'" by Rina Sawayama
On the flip-side, I could have tolerated those same girls doing this dance to this

#55 - "Breaking Me" by Topic & A7S
OCCASIONALLY one of the songs that ends up dominating the charts for the better part of half a year is actually really bloody good.

#54 - "KLK" by Arca & ROSALÍA
Legendary latin women from either side of the Atlantic teaming up to produce a twerkable electrobanger? Yes please!

#53 - "Magic" by Kylie Minogue
Say Something was nice, but seeing y'all vote in droves for it over this masterpiece was a real kick in the face

#52 - "Ego Death" by Ty Dolla $ign, Kanye West, FKA twigs & Skrillex
Love the production on this; as unpredictable as the four artists involved.

#51 - "My Tears Ricochet" by Taylor Swift
Comfortably folklore's best song; a sombre, dignified take on her usual lyrical trope (middle finger at an ex).

#50 - "Conveyor" by Moses Sumney
Performed live, it's even more astonishing - so much is going on musically that it takes an artist as commanding and intriguing as Sumney to really hold focus and deliver a compelling vocal.

#49 - "In Your Eyes" by The Weeknd
Every bit as good as his other song that dominated the year (despite being released in 2019); In Your Eyes makes the list if only for that saxophone solo.

#48 - "Boss Bitch" by Doja Cat
Admittedly, it's a little corny to release something like this to accompany the Birds of Prey soundtrack... but removed from the whole DC franchise and its "i draw skulls on my diary" aesthetic, the song is a banger and packs a lot into such a short time.

#47 - "Impact" by SG Lewis, Robyn & Channel Tres
So aside from creating excellent productions for other artists - Victoria Monet, Rhye, AlunaGeorge, Clairo, Ray BLK - Lewis also threw out this track this year and managed to convince the queen of electropop herself to provide a vocal. He releases an album this month, and on the merit of this, I'm incredibly excited.

#46 - "Peppers and Onions" by Tierra Whack
Certainly the year's best song where its hook is a whistle; Tierra Whack has demonstrated an incredible creativity and is one of the most exciting artists today.

#45 - "Therapy" by Duke Dumont
It's already been a few years since Dumont's last chart hit, but since dominating the UK with songs like Need U (100%), I Got U and Won't Look Back he's gone and fully embraced the house genre. This could easily sit alongside the classics from the 90s... and kudos to Sharlene Hector for an amazing voice.

#44 - "No Time To Die" by Billie Eilish
I truly don't envy anyone the pressure of trying to craft a Bond theme; the weight of British gammon on your shoulders must be hard to bear. This will have, most likely, divided fans of film - but musically I think it's spot on. Dark, eerie, delicate and gentle, it's got just such an engrossing atmosphere about it. I would go so far as to say I prefer it to Skyfall.

#43 - "Only the Strong" by Laura Marling
Something I just felt myself sinking into upon its release; extremely comforting, and assured in its delivery.

#42 - "Lilacs" by Waxahatchee
This song reminds me a little of Alanis Morissette at her peak. There's a clarity about the lyrics and a homely sensability about it.

#41 - "death bed (coffee for your head)" by powfu & Beabadobee
One of many songs that came to prominence thanks to TikTok, there was something extremely cutesy and comforting about this emerging at a time when the virus was still unknown about and scary. A depressive's anthem!

Quote:

Old 02-02-2021, 08:34 PM #36
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

The taste jumped OUT @ POV & Paradisin

Old 03-02-2021, 06:55 AM #37
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...Lilacs is one of my favourite Waxahatchee tracks......
Old 03-02-2021, 08:49 PM #38
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Ten more, girls!

#40 - "Simulation" by Róisín Murphy
Kicking off a record with an 8:30 deep house track is the sort of move that only people like Murphy are able to pull off: she owns every second of it, and launches one of the year's best albums with a stunning groove.

#39 - "Dance Dance Dance" by Astrid S
A cheesy, irreverent pop belter

#38 - "Black Dog" by Arlo Parks
She just released her debut album this week or the week before (time is a weird concept right now, sorry) and the initial impression seems to be very safe, samey and a little underwhelming... none of those can be said of this track; a gorgeous take on depression and support.

#37 - "Lost in Yesterday" by Tame Impala
Definitely something of a slow-burner like most of their singles... the video is odd, too.

#36 - "WAP" by Cardi B & Megan Thee Stallion
Enough has already been written about this song. It defined 2020 in terms of opinion pieces and frothing fury displayed about it... but ignoring all of the controversy and profanity, Megan's verses really sell it.

#35 - "Wherever You Go" by The Avalanches, Jamie xx, Neneh Cherry & CLYPSO
The intro samples a quote from UN Secretary General Kurt Waldheim, who recorded the message for the 1977 Voyager 1 mission, and I suppose the idea of someone's message traveling billions of miles through space and time is an apt way to describe the Avalanches' approach to music. So many samples and genres are woven into something fresh and invigorating... and the guest spots just sold it as an instant classic for me.

#34 - "911" by Lady Gaga
Even separated from its birth twin Chromatica II, it's a stomping, attention-grabbing trip down a weird mind. I'd be lying if I said I was primarily drawn by its incredibly artistic video, and layered symbolism - because I am just mindlessly jiggling titties to "my big gest en e my is me " - but whatever gets you there, right?

#33 - "Just a Touch" by Perfume Genius
In an interview with the New Yorker, Hadreas said: "I imagined a wartime story, the idea of giving this song to someone who was going away, and that they could sing the melody to remember. A lot of queer relationships were like that—they had to exist in secret, they had to be these brief, frantic, passionate explosions, and then afterward you would only have a memory to sustain it." Something about closeted gays in ages gone by always gets me </3

#32 - "Stardew" by Purity Ring
If only the rest of the album matched this

#31 - "Delete Forever" by Grimes
As the song starts you have a brief moment of terror, fearing she's gone down the Oasis Wonderwall route. The top comment on this video says "Grimes just invented Space Country genre of music and I was here to witness it"... and honestly? Tea.

Quote:

Old 06-02-2021, 05:06 PM #39
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

I am forgetful ok

#30 - "XS" by Rina Sawayama
The spanish guitar riffs lend it a very "1998-2002" sound that tunnels its way right into the nostalgia portion of my brain. We stan an anti-consumerism anthem!

#29 - "Gaslighter" by The Chicks
It's a difficult feat making the lyrical theme of being emotionally manipulated by an ex-husband sound suitable with a catchy pop song, but the Chicks somehow succeeded this year. They broke a 15~ year hiatus with this, and considering how many feminist milestones have passed in that time, their comeback could never have been more timely.

#28 - "Malibu" by Kim Petras
A pretty star-studded video of queer icons and Jessie J, but the song itself makes its way into my list for being a slice of pop confection taken from a timeline where the world wasn't dead and miserable in the summer just past. Super catchy, and a lot of fun.

#27 - "American Cars" by Annie
On the flipside of the above's summery glory was this ice-cold, ominous electropop banger. Another electronic-pop legend who's taken the time to return after more than a decade; this track could wriggle its way into the soundtracks of many a Nordic psychological thriller and still be appropriate.

#26 - "JU$T" by Run the Jewels, Pharrell & Zack de la Rocha
The frontman of Rage Against the Machine features here and it's a perfect match; both bands channel punk energy to make political statements that go hard. Here the history of America and how slavery permeates every element of modern American identity is taken to task.

#25 - "I Don't Belong" by Fontaines DC
Honestly the instrumental is menacing and dark enough to make a lasting impression, so the Dublin accent thrown on top is just the cherry on the cake. Shades of Pixies and Joy Division here, and the lyric is a very 2020 energy.

#24 - "Babylon" by Lady Gaga
Almost ten years ago the pop stans were sent into battle after comparisons between 'Born This Way' and Madonna's 'Express Yourself' were drawn. A decade later, and she's given us an unintentional sequel to 'Vogue'. A house banger that came out in the same year I discovered the TV show 'Pose' meant a perfect match.

#23 - "Somebody" by Dagny
Every time I hear this song I grow to love it more; indeed when compiling this list I did originally think "yeah this was cute I guess it can slot in at around 95". Another Norwegian popstar, Dagny is someone I'll have to keep on my radar.

#22 - "Save a Kiss" by Jessie Ware
Just... gorgeous. Slow, lingering and enrapturing.

#21 - "Be Kind" by Marshmello & Halsey
It still upsets me that the charts didn't embrace this song. I get that Halsey can be irritating at times, but this is just... pop majesty.

#20 - "Lifetime" by Romy
As a diehard fan of the XX, I was apprehensive about the solo material Romy might release. In hindsight, I don't ****ing know why, because Jamie xx is obviously thriving and so, now, is Romy: 'Lifetime' is a dancefloor filler and so euphoric.

#19 - "Murphy's Law" by Róisín Murphy
I've already explained my worship of Murphy, so it seemed only appropriate that I adhere to her Law. There's something incredibly Grace Jones about this track; dripping with sophistication and cool, and assured vocal delivery. Love her and love this.

#18 - "forever" by Charli XCX
I'd already cemented my adoration for this song prior to the poignant new twist on it; Charli's working relationship with the late SOPHIE has been evident in so much of her work since 2013, and that signature jarring, overwhelming productive sound is present here.

#17 - "If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)" by The 1975
When I said their album was disappointing but full of incredible highs, I wasn't lying; this is the first of two tracks I've put in my list but I could feasibly have chosen 3 more. This is them at their poppiest: a generous slice of 1980s new wave (comparisons were drawn to Tears For Fears' Everybody Wants to Rule the World) and a sax solo to boot.

#16 - "Teenage Headache Dreams" by Mura Masa, Ellie Rowsell
Still mildly confused as to why Rowsell and Wolf Alice are given separate billing on the features spot when she's... literally a member of the band, but hey ho. This track wowed me at the start of the year and has endured; it's emotive, it vibrates at different intensities and is a fitting testament to the conflicted, confusing nature of teenage years.

#15 - "people, i've been sad" by Christine and the Queens
I've given a lot of love and time to CatQ over the past 5 years and this was really no disappointment. She utters this same refrain (translated from French) and I couldn't really encapsulate the uncertainty and melancholy of the past year better: Adolescence thwarted by a thousand dead thistles/ Walk barefoot on glass and now everything is stronger".

#14 - "Jason" by Perfume Genius
Oh the baroqueness of it all... only PG could make a disappointing one-night-stand with a repressed straight guy sound aspirational and beautiful.

#13 - "Kyoto" by Phoebe Bridgers
I'm finding it difficult to write about these songs now because when I put them on for inspiration I'm just drawn into a catatonic bliss and don't really wish to be interrupted. There's a multi-instrumentalism about it that channels Sufjan Stevens at his prime, and I just... ugh... shut up I love it.

#12 - "Yellow is the Colour of Her Eyes" by Soccer Mommy
Whenever I compile these lists I always try and narrow down multiple songs by the same artist to try and keep it diverse and interesting (because otherwise the 100 would just be... 10 by Phoebe Bridgers, 6 by the 1975, 6 by Perfume Genius... etc). So whilst there were other highlights from Color Theory that I loved dearly, it was this - this achingly beautiful and personal story of the artist's mother's terminal illness - that caught my ear. Desperately sad, and yet impossible to turn off.

#11 - "Damn Daniel" by Bree Runway & Yung Baby Tate
I've yet to really hear anything else from Bree that sounds similar to this, and in a way that's mildly disappointing (her other stuff is still excellent!) because this is a perfect pop song. It channels classics like Ghost Town DJs' My Boo and Chaka Khan's I Feel For You: a raucous, delectable bit of 80s hip hop and dance.

Quote:

Old 06-02-2021, 05:17 PM #40
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

I’m honestly so upset at how poorly Malibu performed, such a bop

Old 06-02-2021, 05:19 PM #41
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Omg I loved Dagny’s album too

Old 07-02-2021, 05:36 PM #42
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Right then: the best of the best!

#10 - "Don Dada" by Cakes da Killa x Proper Villains
I've only recently discovered this so this could go either way - fade into being a song I just "like" or grow to be one I adore. It's looking like the latter! I've been aware of Cakes for a while but haven't really listened to much, sadly, but was aware he's crazy good at spitting verses over house beats. This is something else though... so stylish, so real and so, so good.

#9 - "The Steps" by HAIM
Far and away the best track taken from Women In Music Pt. III, this is just... one of those songs that you find yourself desperately trying to sing along to with your terrible voice. An instant classic.

#8 - "All of the Feelings" by Kiesza
Thank god I stanned the hell out of this because otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it was a music video in Smithy's pub quiz Oh... it also happens to be a ****ing banger of Jepsenesque proportions, which is mighty convenient since Carly Rae hasn't released one since 2018 This is just euphoric.

#7 - "Physical" by Dua Lipa
One of those rare pop songs that I felt compelled to listen to on replay for a good month after it appeared, 'Physical' really was a cultural milestone for Gays In 2020™. A song so good it required a separate workout video, and a cold, icy world away from the rest of the disco hits she served this year. I love this version of Dua. The other one... yeah she's alright I guess.

#6 - "Violence (Club Mix)" by Grimes & i_o
So, technically this was a 2019 release but the fact a separate "club mix" was thrown onto the deluxe edition of 2020's album means it's allowed Sadly the producer of this died in the latter half of last year, but if there was a song to bow out with it was this one: so bewitching, crafted perfectly for Grimes' signature wails and whispers to do their magic with.

#5 - "Shameika" by Fiona Apple
Turning the experience of being bullied in middle school into this weirdly uplifting dedication to a girl she hasn't seen since is the sort of lyrical epic that only Apple is really capable of weaving. Amazing storytelling, and musically unpredictable; full of dips and peaks in energy.

#4 - "Spotlight" by Jessie Ware
A masterclass in understated theatricality. The music video matches it well: perfectly styled, slightly eerie and yet decidedly opulent. Comfortably the best song she has ever released, and there has been stiff competition.

#3 - "Midnight Sky" by Miley Cyrus
I think everyone would've called it a perfectly good year for Miley if she'd only released that stream of covers back in the spring/summer... but as good as they were, they were mere appetisers for this belter. The comparisons to Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen" were strong enough to warrant a special version of the two mixed together to be released; but to me the song radiates Laura Branigan's Self Control; that type of song just flows right through you and possesses your body for its duration.

#2 - "Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America" by The 1975
Phoebe Bridgers pops up on this track from the Brits' complicated and somewhat flawed last album... but flaws are nowhere to be found here. The song is gentle, and Bon Iveresque horns in the distance lend a sorrowful atmosphere, but its lyrics are what hooked me and not just because of Phoebe masturbating over her next-door neighbour Claire.

#1 - "I Know the End" by Phoebe Bridgers
At the very end of this song - which closes her album Punisher - she rasps a few "aaaaaah!!!"s and starts laughing at her own rasping... and honestly I think I'd probably do the same if I pulled off a third verse and ending as perfect as this. Bringing in a huge cast of musicians to record this riotous "the end is here" moment is wonderful, and delaying that gratification with its slow, beautiful build-up makes it even better.

Quote:

Old 07-02-2021, 06:21 PM #43

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

A spectacular top 10 x
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:50 PM #44
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Can’t believe all of the feelings only came out last year omg

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
#101, #2011, #3011, #3021, #4031, #6041, #8061, #9081, 100, 2020, 50, albums, countdowns, music, songs, top