Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:38 AM #26
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate! View Post
I've looked on the website and it says this....

Use this service to order a test if you have at least one of these 3 coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms:

a high temperature
a new, continuous cough
you’ve lost your sense of smell or taste or it’s changed

I have none of these just a slight sore throat.
...the NHS guidance is if you have any one of the symptoms, so far as I know, Kate...are you able to contact your surgery to ask advice...?...

Last edited by Ammi; 06-02-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:52 AM #27
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
I think i went a bit far when I did the self test as it took a couple of hours for my nose and throat to settle back down again.
They don’t call you deep throat danny for nothing
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:55 AM #28
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Not had a test but if slim thinks he went too far I had a camera put down the end of my nob all the way into my bladder a few weeks back

But that wasn’t the bad part lol
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:29 PM #29
0_o

0_o

I had one done, and also did one myself.
The one I got done was horrendous. However, I have a really bad fear of vomit, so the gagging while they were touching my tonsils was the worst part, I imagine a bit of gagging wouldn't bother 'normal' people. The nose bit, felt like they went way up there, but could have dealt with that bit. Just felt really really odd!

When I did my own, I failed drastically on the throat bit as I could not do it without touching teeth and all sorts. I still submitted it, on the advice of my nurse. Even though it was said, if you touch anywhere else the test will come back invalid. Well, it didn't come back invalid. Though not sure if it would say invalid, rather than just...BE invalid?

It was hell for me, and thats not an exagerration. However, its entirely to do with my phobia, rather than the actual test. And I only know one person who gave themselves a nosebleed when doing it, where according to social media, thats really common (and wouldn't be that surprising, given how far up it needs to go!). I could easily have dealt with the nosebleed too tbh, it was simply the gagging. I mean, I am so bad with that that I argued with doctors while I was extremely ill after my operation, that they couldn't put a camera down my throat unless they gave me a general anaesthetic first. This was due to me having had that before, and them convincing me that with a double sedation dose, and some numbing stuff, it would be fine and dandy. Which ended in a nurse sitting on each of my arms to pin me down, and the most traumatic experience of my life!
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:31 PM #30
0_o

0_o

Quote:

Use this service to order a test if you have at least one of these 3 coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms:

a high temperature
a new, continuous cough

For a fair while now, people have been having to lie to get tests. Its a ridiculous situation really. Even moreso when you add in that the vast majority of people who are positive, show no symptoms at all. We should be at a stage where people can get one for any slight symptom really, if they want to. Apparently some areas do allow testing on demand, but others, still only 'the big three'. Even in kids..when its quite well known, again, that the main symptoms are different in kids, and it tends to present as a tummy bug, rather than cough and such..in them.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:50 PM #31
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Really? I just twirled the swab around, I wasn’t scraping away like cleaning the oven
My mother in law was told if it did not feel quite uncomfortable, its not in high enough.

It went against all of my instincts tbh, to purposely push it further when I felt a bit of resistance. I would HATE having to do it on someone else, as obviously you wouldn't know when it was really hurting them until it was too late, where when you are doing your own, you can stop it immediately as you..well you know when its too much. I seriously admire people putting themselves forward as testers and that, I really could not do it.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:51 PM #32

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):

Yeah took one in September. It made my eyes water!
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:52 PM #33

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

a high temperature
a new, continuous cough

I work for the testing helpline and I’d advise you not to book a test unless you have one of the main three symptoms Kate just because of them going to people who really need them atm.
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:09 PM #34
0_o

0_o

Yeah not lying is preferable. Especially if you are in a position where you could isolate just off your own back. We have gone through a few isolating periods, because of what I highly suspect was a cold. But given the symptoms of any illness really are also symptoms of covid..seemed to make sense. I know some cannot do that though. We only can really as Gavin is furloughed..would be in a bit of a dilemma if he wasn't allowed back to work until negative test, but had just a sore throat, or a headache. As it kind of becomes, lie, or be totally ****ed over moneywise and struggle like hell with that. Or, place people at risk when you could..make sure you are not a risk before going back out.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:10 PM #35
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
My mother in law was told if it did not feel quite uncomfortable, its not in high enough.

It went against all of my instincts tbh, to purposely push it further when I felt a bit of resistance. I would HATE having to do it on someone else, as obviously you wouldn't know when it was really hurting them until it was too late, where when you are doing your own, you can stop it immediately as you..well you know when its too much. I seriously admire people putting themselves forward as testers and that, I really could not do it.
Yeah i this doing it myself was better I would have tensed up otherwise, I did feel the top if that makes sense, it just wasn’t as bad as I had been led to expect

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:12 PM #36
IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal. View Post
I work for the testing helpline and I’d advise you not to book a test unless you have one of the main three symptoms Kate just because of them going to people who really need them atm.
Yes thats what I thought too Cal. I'd probably be wasting their time and resources. I'm not going to have a test.

Kate! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:16 PM #37
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Yeah i this doing it myself was better I would have tensed up otherwise, I did feel the top if that makes sense, it just wasn’t as bad as I had been led to expect
Yeah I was really crapping myself with the first, as had heard horror stories. While it was awful for me, it wasn't as bad as I expected. The one doing it myself was much better, however, not even sure if I got an accurate result given..how it went. I hope they would send back saying 'inconclusive, try again' but I do wonder if they can even tell..if they are looking for part of the virus' 'code' then, it might just be its there, or it isn't, and they have no way of telling if you did it right or not?

The small cotton bud thing is..different though. The ones I got were kind of the lenth of 3 cotton buds, and a bit thicker also.

I guess, as with many things, people experience it differently. I mean, the camera down throat thing I mentioned upthread, my husband got one of them not long ago and he said it was mildly uncomfortable, but alright. Where it was torture for me, even with a bunch of drugs and numbing stuff. A few have tld me I am being ridiculous, saying it was the worst hour or so of my life too, as apparently 'its fine, just a bit uncomfortable'

Meanwhile, I didn't flinch at the antibody test, which was a blood test. Where it seems most would be iffy about that one and find with the swab! People are weird and random..really
Old 06-02-2021, 01:18 PM #38
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yes thats what I thought too Cal. I'd probably be wasting their time and resources. I'm not going to have a test.
According to this sore throat can be a symptom just not as common as the others

https://www.healthline.com/health/so...at-coronavirus

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 06-02-2021, 01:19 PM #39
0_o

0_o

Quote:
According to this sore throat can be a symptom just not as common as the others

https://www.healthline.com/health/so...at-coronavirus
Yup. This is why so many are needing/chosing to lie to get tests. The criteria really needs to be looked at like. Seems most other countries accept all the symptoms as..symptoms. Only we say you have to have one of 3 symptoms..
Old 06-02-2021, 01:20 PM #40
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yeah I was really crapping myself with the first, as had heard horror stories. While it was awful for me, it wasn't as bad as I expected. The one doing it myself was much better, however, not even sure if I got an accurate result given..how it went. I hope they would send back saying 'inconclusive, try again' but I do wonder if they can even tell..if they are looking for part of the virus' 'code' then, it might just be its there, or it isn't, and they have no way of telling if you did it right or not?

The small cotton bud thing is..different though. The ones I got were kind of the lenth of 3 cotton buds, and a bit thicker also.

I guess, as with many things, people experience it differently. I mean, the camera down throat thing I mentioned upthread, my husband got one of them not long ago and he said it was mildly uncomfortable, but alright. Where it was torture for me, even with a bunch of drugs and numbing stuff. A few have tld me I am being ridiculous, saying it was the worst hour or so of my life too, as apparently 'its fine, just a bit uncomfortable'

Meanwhile, I didn't flinch at the antibody test, which was a blood test. Where it seems most would be iffy about that one and find with the swab! People are weird and random..really

Smithy might be able to clear the cotton bud thing up it was literally tiny to what I expected about 1/4 the size of a normal cotton bud and narrow

Old 06-02-2021, 01:21 PM #41
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yup. This is why so many are needing/chosing to lie to get tests. The criteria really needs to be looked at like. Seems most other countries accept all the symptoms as..symptoms. Only we say you have to have one of 3 symptoms..
Yeah I agree

Old 06-02-2021, 01:22 PM #42
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Smithy might be able to clear the cotton bud thing up it was literally tiny to what I expected about 1/4 the size of a normal cotton bud and narrow
Maybe they changed them..was a beast of a thing, but my last test was months back now, so you would assume there had been advances in making it less uncomfortable (and more accurate too maybe)

A small one might have been more problematic for me tbh, as would have to basically have my hand in my mouth also to get the tonsil swab!
Old 06-02-2021, 01:27 PM #43
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Maybe they changed them..was a beast of a thing, but my last test was months back now, so you would assume there had been advances in making it less uncomfortable (and more accurate too maybe)

A small one might have been more problematic for me tbh, as would have to basically have my hand in my mouth also to get the tonsil swab!
No the tip was tiny but the plastic stick was quite long, you had to snap it to get it into the vial

Old 06-02-2021, 01:31 PM #44
0_o

0_o

Quote:
No the tip was tiny but the plastic stick was quite long, you had to snap it to get it into the vial
Ahh yeah I see. Sounds the same then. Maybe about the length of a dvd case, with a little swab on the end.

Honestly, my brain doesnt work right these days seemingly, had visions of people trying to do the test with..like a matchstick type instrument
Old 06-02-2021, 01:40 PM #45
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Ahh yeah I see. Sounds the same then. Maybe about the length of a dvd case, with a little swab on the end.

Honestly, my brain doesnt work right these days seemingly, had visions of people trying to do the test with..like a matchstick type instrument

Old 06-02-2021, 01:46 PM #46
You know my methods

You know my methods

When i was in the park the other night a man approached me and asked if i would like a test. It was the new one where you have to drop your trousers and bend down. I did remark that the swap stick looked remarkably like an erect penis but he said it was the new EU verified swab stick. Anyway after around half an hour or so he told me i was negative.

I dont have the sore head I just find it hard to sit down.

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:55 PM #47
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
When i was in the park the other night a man approached me and asked if i would like a test. It was the new one where you have to drop your trousers and bend down. I did remark that the swap stick looked remarkably like an erect penis but he said it was the new EU verified swab stick. Anyway after around half an hour or so he told me i was negative.

I dont have the sore head I just find it hard to sit down.

They have started using anal swabbing in China..

https://www.health.com/condition/inf...bs-coronavirus

Old 06-02-2021, 02:29 PM #48
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
I did wonder if the process had changed as the swabs they showed on the news in the early days looked very big

Or maybe the swabs are different at different test centres
The swabs are different depending on the type of test you do

The scars on my mind are on replay

Last edited by Smithy; 06-02-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:31 PM #49

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Yes I had one just before xmas.

They bud was massive, so I wont be having another one.

If I feel I'll i will isolate until better.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:33 PM #50
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Also Kate sites across the NW in general are very quiet atm, Personally I don’t think booking a test isn’t an issue

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
covid, test