Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 11-06-2003, 10:37 PM #1

Default David Beckham Speaks Out

Beckham Fury: 'I Won't Be
a Political Pawn'

DAVID Beckham's future was still uncertain today amid furious claim and counter claim about where the star would be playing football next season.

Last night it appeared a £30 million "behind-closed-doors" deal had been struck as Manchester United revealed they would accept an offer for the England captain from Barcelona presidential candidate Joan Laporta if the Catalan lawyer wins the club's elections on Sunday.

But today a furious Beckham said he had no intention of joining the club and was angry at being used as a "political pawn" in the Barcelona presidential elections.

And a source close to Beckham says the star is so angry about the situation, he is considering quitting Manchester United's lucrative summer tour of the United States.

A spokesman for SFX, Beckham's management company, said: "David is very disappointed and surprised to learn of this statement and feels that he has been used as a political pawn in the Barcelona presidential elections.

"David's advisors have no plans to meet Mr Laporta or his representatives."

Hours later the Spanish press widely reported that Real Madrid were also poised to enter the bidding for the England captain - adding to the confusion.

The England captain's role as the nation's top celebrity was also confirmed as most of the front pages of the Britain's newspapers, both tabloid and broadsheet, were plastered with pictures of the pin-up footballer.

Although Beckham has said he has no wish to leave Manchester United, friends and family today said the way the deal had been handled meant it was now almost impossible to imagine him playing at Old Trafford next season.

His father Ted launched a veiled attack on manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who has had many run-ins with his blond-haired star.

He said: "One man in particular - and I'm not going to name him - is trying to force him out and David will be really upset by it all."

Barcelona spokesman Sandro Rosell, who has been negotiating with Manchester United on Laporta's behalf, said he was still confident of netting the star.

He said: "Once we start talking with him, I feel that there won't be any problems."

United announced their conditional acceptance of Barca's bid in a statement on the club's official Web site.

A statement from the club read: "Manchester United confirms that club officials have met Joan Laporta, the leading candidate for the presidency of Barcelona.

"These meetings have resulted in an offer being made for the transfer of David Beckham to Barcelona.

"This offer is subject to a number of conditions and critically to both Mr Laporta being elected president on Sunday, 15 June and Barcelona subsequently reaching agreement with David Beckham on his personal contract.

"Manchester United confirms that in the event that all of the conditions are fulfilled then the offer would be acceptable."

I have to say I'd be really surprised to see Beckham leave this country, considering they've just started Brooklyn at school!

And to be used as a political pawn is awful!
Janette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:12 PM #2

I think the way this has been handled is dreadful. It would appear that deals are being done about his future without bothering to consult him first! He still has two years to run on his current contract but it would seem that this isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

I don't want him to leave Man Utd - neither does he by the sound of things - but the behind the scenes machinations have surely made his future at Old Trafford untenable? Perhaps this was the whole point - to force him out??

Whoever is responsible for this complete fiasco needs a good rollicking. Getting rid of one of your finest players, the player who creates most of the income for your club doesn't make sense to me.
susieq is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:22 PM #3

I think the only reason that Manchester United are selling him is because he has told them he wants to leave, because him (and Posh) don't get on with Alex Ferguson.

They wouldn't get rid of their prize asset. More replica shirts are sold for the club because of him in Beijing and Singapore than any other player.

James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 10:37 AM #4

Personally I think that the reason he is leaving is because he, as can be seen several times in the past, does not get on well with Alex Ferguson and has no respect for him. That is not the way that a team should be managed.

Also, selling David Beckham now brings a LOT of money to the team and they need to sell him to make money now before he gets too old.
sweetlittlesara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 10:43 AM #5

Unfortunately according to the law of OH - football players (whoever they are) are just commodities who can be discarded at the whim of the club or individual.

I think the manager has just had enough of the Beckams publicity hunting shinigans and wants to get money back on him whilst he can. If he waits until the contract runs out the club could end up with nothing.
BusyBee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
beckham, david, speaks