Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 06-04-2021, 09:54 AM #26
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I loved the What Katy Did series... and little women and Secret Garden.

My son loves reading....his faves are Harry Potter series, he loved Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson, David Walliams, Roald Dahl and the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. He will read anything though
...it’s funny how the books that our children love to read themselves and the ones that they love having read to them by us can differ so much as well...one of my sons would love the Little Bear books when he was very young...I would try to move on to something else as a go to sleep read but Can’t You Sleep Little Bear? was the only he wanted...It was very calming and I would generally be asleep within the first few pages and then I’d realise that he was asleep when I woke up...I used to think because it was so calming etc...but I think looking back now...?...it was possibly the only way he got to know how to hush me up so he could get some sleep and he wasn’t confident that any other book would work so quickly....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:22 AM #27
-

-

I remember reading my sister's crappy "Point Horror" books and Roald Dahl, not sure from actualy childhood other than that. I read a lot of Terry Pratchett in my early teens but tbh by about 15 I was a pretentious little **** and had started on stuff like Plato/classic philosophy, Sartre and Camus, Carlos Castaneda, various other surrealist and existential fiction, I also was fascinated with social contract/human nature theory (Hobbes, Locke/Rousseau, Hume... for you Lost fans out there...)

I read **** like that for fun, I barely read at all these days - luckily I packed a lot of learning in from 15 - 21?
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:27 AM #28
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...back in the day, a book that terrified me was Treasure Island...there were lots of reasons why it did, the whole pirate thing didn’t sit well with me anyway but it was also the Black Spot...that it could be passed on so easily by contact...a bit ironic I guess...but after I’d read it, I’d check people’s hand palms for Black Spot...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
books or authors, childhood, favourite