Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 29-06-2021, 09:33 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Because it (falsely) places football as being of higher importance than countless other events that other people would want leave for... and giving extra leave for ALL of those events is unrealistic. No to extra privileges for football yobs. By all means, companies could add an extra three holiday days a year to be taken as "standalone event days" or whatever, to be spent how the employee chooses.
What a barrel of laughs you must be at parties.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 10:16 PM #52
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
What a barrel of laughs you must be at parties.

I just don’t happen to have that fawning, childish adoration for football that some people seem to never outgrow .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 10:20 PM #53

Quote:
I just don’t happen to have that fawning, childish adoration for football that some people seem to never outgrow .
That doesn’t mean that taking a day off to watch a game is inherently childish. Most other reasons people would have for requesting days off wouldn’t be on the magnitude of Euros (a global event).

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 10:57 PM #54

Quote:
That doesn’t mean that taking a day off to watch a game is inherently childish. Most other reasons people would have for requesting days off wouldn’t be on the magnitude of Euros (a global event).
But the "magnitude" is about personal perspective. It doesn't mean anything to someone who's not into football. Same as Eurovision will mean nothing to non-fans.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 06:53 AM #55
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

If employers were able to do this they would have left everyone go, not just football fans, talk about shooting yourself in the foot, and i think it is childish for people who work from home to be so vocal about it, what difference is it going to make to your life if they some people get let home early, as for comparing it to Eurovision an event that happens every year on a date planned well in advance just no

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 30-06-2021 at 08:02 AM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 07:59 AM #56
-

-

Quote:

Taking a day off is fine, like I said I’m all for extra time off from employers for people to engage in big events to improve work/life balance, and if they enjoy football and one of those things is a football match then that’s fine. Which is why I said it could be a number of days of extra annual leave specifically designed for “one off” days of the employee’s choice. I like games… I like silly MCU movies and reality TV… I’m aware that none of these are highbrow interests… they’re all things I’ve legitimately taken annual leave for . I’m not saying there’s anything childish about liking football or having football as a hobby/interest, or any other sport.

What I find childish is the assumption or belief (and many grown men do believe this) that football - specifically football - has “special status” above and beyond any other personal interest or hobby, that in any way applies universally to people who have no interest in it, or that would warrant a “public holiday” day off for everyone because there’s a big day for their hobby . I honestly see it as no less bizarre than the idea that we should have had a public holiday for the release of “Avengers: Endgame”. It was a global event, after all.

Don’t get me wrong I find the psychology of football in the UK (most of Europe, actually) really fascinating in terms of what’s going on with nostalgia/dopamine/comfort in a large proportion of (mostly) the male population but I’m not a member of that club personally, and I just don’t think that without that, the sport itself is particularly entertaining to watch .
Old 30-06-2021, 08:02 AM #57

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

A work mate of mine has been of for 2 days cause his dog died.

I'm hoping for the same compassion when jaws(my goldfish) passes
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 08:04 AM #58
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
If employers were able to do this they would have left everyone go, not just football fans, talk about shooting yourself in the foot, and i think it is childish for people who work from home to be so vocal about it, what difference is it going to make to your life if they some people get let home early, as for comparing it to Eurovision an event that happens every year on an date planned well in advance just no

Well yes I would add that good employers would just be less strict in general and support people in their enthusiasm for something. We did have someone who clocked off at 2pm yesterday because - and I quote- “I’m gonna have to go guys, I’m too nervous about the football to concentrate” .

But that’s just the sort of place it is. He wasn’t given it, he didn’t have to ask, he just said he was going. That would have gotten people a written warning in my old job . In my current place it got a laughing emoji and a “go and have a lie down!” from the company director.

I’m still getting used to this ****
Old 30-06-2021, 08:06 AM #59

Quote:
Taking a day off is fine, like I said I’m all for extra time off from employers for people to engage in big events to improve work/life balance, and if they enjoy football and one of those things is a football match then that’s fine. Which is why I said it could be a number of days of extra annual leave specifically designed for “one off” days of the employee’s choice. I like games… I like silly MCU movies and reality TV… I’m aware that none of these are highbrow interests… they’re all things I’ve legitimately taken annual leave for . I’m not saying there’s anything childish about liking football or having football as a hobby/interest, or any other sport.

What I find childish is the assumption or belief (and many grown men do believe this) that football - specifically football - has “special status” above and beyond any other personal interest or hobby, that in any way applies universally to people who have no interest in it, or that would warrant a “public holiday” day off for everyone because there’s a big day for their hobby . I honestly see it as no less bizarre than the idea that we should have had a public holiday for the release of “Avengers: Endgame”. It was a global event, after all.

Don’t get me wrong I find the psychology of football in the UK (most of Europe, actually) really fascinating in terms of what’s going on with nostalgia/dopamine/comfort in a large proportion of (mostly) the male population but I’m not a member of that club personally, and I just don’t think that without that, the sport itself is particularly entertaining to watch .
Exactly.

It's nonsense.

You want the time off you book A/L. Period.

And don't get me started on, 'England is coming home'.....
ThomasC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 08:10 AM #60
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
A work mate of mine has been of for 2 days cause his dog died.

I'm hoping for the same compassion when jaws(my goldfish) passes

Again though I don’t even think that’s silly - companies should give compassionate leave for anyone who is grieving, even if it’s just a dog (although within reason there, a couple of days tops surely).

But again it’s down to individuals and what they want. We had a girl whose mum died who was off for nearly a month, but we also had a woman in her 60’s whose husband died and when asked if she was taking compassionate leave, replied “god no give me overtime, I don’t want to be sat at home alone all day” . Some people need time, others need to stay busy for a while to let it sink in. Whether it’s a family member or a goldfish.
Old 30-06-2021, 08:21 AM #61

Quote:
If employers were able to do this they would have left everyone go, not just football fans, talk about shooting yourself in the foot, and i think it is childish for people who work from home to be so vocal about it, what difference is it going to make to your life if they some people get let home early, as for comparing it to Eurovision an event that happens every year on a date planned well in advance just no
The question was specifically about the "magnitude" of this specific event. Calm down.
Old 30-06-2021, 08:25 AM #62
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Again though I don’t even think that’s silly - companies should give compassionate leave for anyone who is grieving, even if it’s just a dog (although within reason there, a couple of days tops surely).

But again it’s down to individuals and what they want. We had a girl whose mum died who was off for nearly a month, but we also had a woman in her 60’s whose husband died and when asked if she was taking compassionate leave, replied “god no give me overtime, I don’t want to be sat at home alone all day” . Some people need time, others need to stay busy for a while to let it sink in. Whether it’s a family member or a goldfish.
Calm down TS. stop responding in the thread or you will upset Marsh...oh wait you are male so that's fine carry on

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 30-06-2021, 08:30 AM #63

Don't respond to Cherie when she clearly makes a response to what you posted guys, it's "sexist".
Old 30-06-2021, 08:36 AM #64
-

-

Old 30-06-2021, 08:36 AM #65

Old 30-06-2021, 08:39 AM #66
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
that's the one

Old 30-06-2021, 09:40 AM #67
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Every Thurs being the operative words, last time England played Germany was 2010
Girl you literally said it doesn’t start at 5??

Don’t move the goal posts!!

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 12:00 PM #68
Mode: Broken

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Sheldon
BBCanada 7: Anthony

Mode: Broken

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Sheldon
BBCanada 7: Anthony

Watch the game at work via tablet or phone.
Calderyon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 12:05 PM #69
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

I remember when I took my telly at work, to watch the Italy-France final. What a night it was
Old 30-06-2021, 12:13 PM #70
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
I remember when I took my telly at work, to watch the Italy-France final. What a night it was
brilliant

Old 30-06-2021, 12:20 PM #71

Quote:
I remember at my first proper job the office manager brought her own TV in to watch the Royal Wedding on as we were the only place in the country (it felt like) to not get the day off.

A couple of women were interested to see Kate's dress but that was about it. She was glued to the set throughout.
Old 30-06-2021, 12:54 PM #72
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
I remember carrying a large old fashioned colour TV about half a mile with a colleague to a council hall so we could watch Arsenal snatch the title from Liverpool at Anfield in 1989. We were having some doo at work and we put the telly in a back room and all the lads crowded in to the room to watch the game.

like this
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 01:29 PM #73

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I remember carrying a large old fashioned colour TV about half a mile with a colleague to a council hall so we could watch Arsenal snatch the title from Liverpool at Anfield in 1989. We were having some doo at work and we put the telly in a back room and all the lads crowded in to the room to watch the game.

like this

I remember being at a mates house 4 miles out of town watching that game, we ran all the way to town singing our heads off after the game
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
allowed, early, football, home, today, watch, workers