Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-07-2021, 02:10 PM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default British Paratrooper/parachute failed to open survives after crashing into house…

…in California, the house was…two greatest fears I have are death by fire and my parachute not opening or just a huge fall…even though I try to avoid heights so minimise that one as much as I can…but yeah this is terrifying….can you believe it though, the neighbour was home and she was a nurse…

A British paratrooper whose parachute failed to open correctly sustained only “minor injuries” after a 15,000ft fall took him through the roof of a house in California, crashing into the kitchen in a burst of insulation and roofing material.

The soldier, who was not immediately named, jumped out of a plane during a High Altitude Low Opening (Halo) exercise, a technique used by special forces. He lost control as he approached the ground near Camp Roberts, in Atascadero.

According to a local TV station, KSBY, the accident happened around 5pm on 6 July.

Several neighbours saw the parachutist spiraling in the air. Photographs from the scene showed a hole in the tiled roof of the home and a soldier, wearing SAS uniform, in the kitchen surrounded by debris.

Neighbours rushed to the house.

“I ran in to make sure he was OK and I checked on him and his eyes were open but I wasn’t sure if there were any injuries. I didn’t want anyone to move him,” Rose Martin told KSBY.

“It’s a miracle in my estimation, really. I mean, who lands like that without a parachute and lives?”

Linda Sallady, the homeowner’s mother, said: “Came through the roof, through the trusses and there’s not that much damage in the house. It’s amazing. It’s mostly the ceiling, the sheetrock. He missed the counters, appliances, everything.”

Atascadero police said the parachutist was “conscious but stunned with complaints of pain but no visible serious injuries”.

He was taken to the hospital for treatment.

The British Ministry of Defence said in a statement: “There has been a parachuting incident involving a British soldier training alongside American allies in California. The soldier received minor injuries and is recovering well.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...oof-california
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 02:21 PM #2
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

the roof must have been made from easily breakable/cushioning material. It's amazing he is alive
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 02:28 PM #3
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
the roof must have been made from easily breakable/cushioning material. It's amazing he is alive
…I’m addicted to US house makeover shows……and it always amazes me how easily they know i through walls etc and solve structural issues…they’re builds aren’t the same as ours obviously, and they are quite flimsy but yet somehow they’re obviously very wearing as well…they’ll have a budget of 10,000 dolla or something and build 72 stories…

Last edited by Ammi; 13-07-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 06:16 PM #4
-

-

The one upside of prefab houses in California often being made out of just timber/drywall/insulation materials?

Still a lot of luck involved though - he’s gone through at least two “layers” of house (the roof itself, then the ceiling) and if he’d hit a supporting beam on either he would almost certainly be dead.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 06:19 PM #5

Good he is still alive.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
british, crashing, failed, house…, open, paratrooper or parachute, survives