Notices

Future Big Brother UK A place for discussion about a possible return of the show.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
*mazedsalv**
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Posts: 27,931
Blog Entries: 5

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Chad Johnson


Default Has racism in the UK gotten better or worse since 2007 Race Row?

I didn't really know what section to post this on, i didn't want to post it under CBB5 as it would get lost, or on the normal forums, because it involves BB.

Anyway, I was thinking about this at work (thinking of anything but work obviously).

What way has racism gone since 2007?

I thought about this because i randomly remembered the eviction. Jade VS Shilpa. Jade left with 82% of the vote, leaving Shilpa with 18%. Now, to be straightforward, so would say "that means 18% of the BB public were racist". But it doesn't factor in potential factors like, if people didn't want to keep Shilpa in there over Jade because then she would still be getting bullied by the others, etc...

Who knows.

But i find it hard to believe that if this same thing happened again in 2021, that only 82% would vote Jade out. 18% is quite a large amount still considering how big the event was.

Maybe in 2021, it would be more 90/10, even though I truly believe that less than 1% of the UK public are racist. Especially openly racist.

Have things since 2007 changed for the better or worse? In the positives, you had the likes of Brian B winning BB that year, the Top 2 in X Factor in 2008 being Alexandra and JLS, the fact that there are more black players in the England team than in 2008 Euro's, etc...

However, we then get social media being more instilled into our lives, where we see everything, lots of crimes etc... i am Italian and most English fans were fine for on Sunday night but one threw a firework towards me and my families direction etc...

What do you think?
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
LeatherTrumpet
Compassion in Action
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 74,152


Default

reality, much better https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ic-disparities

Last edited by Niamh.; 16-07-2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Removed baiting section of this post
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
Redway
Senior Member
 
Redway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,356


Default

Undeniably better but that doesn’t mean we’re exactly where we need to be in 2021.
__________________
Redway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 03:43 AM   #4
Mystic Mock
Blues 28th best team.
 
Mystic Mock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: with joeysteele.
Posts: 46,018
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
X Factor Celebrity: Jenny Ryan
Strictly 2019: Will Bayley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mazedsalv** View Post
I didn't really know what section to post this on, i didn't want to post it under CBB5 as it would get lost, or on the normal forums, because it involves BB.

Anyway, I was thinking about this at work (thinking of anything but work obviously).

What way has racism gone since 2007?

I thought about this because i randomly remembered the eviction. Jade VS Shilpa. Jade left with 82% of the vote, leaving Shilpa with 18%. Now, to be straightforward, so would say "that means 18% of the BB public were racist". But it doesn't factor in potential factors like, if people didn't want to keep Shilpa in there over Jade because then she would still be getting bullied by the others, etc...

Who knows.

But i find it hard to believe that if this same thing happened again in 2021, that only 82% would vote Jade out. 18% is quite a large amount still considering how big the event was.

Maybe in 2021, it would be more 90/10, even though I truly believe that less than 1% of the UK public are racist. Especially openly racist.

Have things since 2007 changed for the better or worse? In the positives, you had the likes of Brian B winning BB that year, the Top 2 in X Factor in 2008 being Alexandra and JLS, the fact that there are more black players in the England team than in 2008 Euro's, etc...

However, we then get social media being more instilled into our lives, where we see everything, lots of crimes etc... i am Italian and most English fans were fine for on Sunday night but one threw a firework towards me and my families direction etc...

What do you think?
Going off topic for a second, did the idiot who threw the firework at you get arrested? I surely hope that they did.
__________________
Currently Watching/Reading/Playing - Angel,Berserk Manga

Hopefully 2021 will be better than 2020.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2007, race, racism, row, uk, worse

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:40 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts