BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Default Andy Fordham has died

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15603...darts-updates/

DARTS legend Andy Fordham has died at the age of 59.

A spokesperson confirmed to SunSport that Fordham passed away in hospital on Thursday morning after suffering major organ failure.

Doctors were amazed at his ability to fight his health issues but his death has left wife Jenny and their family heartbroken.

A favourite of the British darts circuit, the Viking won the 2004 BDO World Darts Championship during a prestigious career.

Fordham once weighed 31 stone and downed 25 bottles of lager a day before tackling his health issues.

Despite shedding the pounds and battling, his darts career began to slump and he took time off to re-hone his skills.

from the sun's live blog
Quote:
COVID WORRIES

In January Andy urged people to wear masks and follow the rules, saying: “In the past year I’ve rarely been out.

“But on the rare occasions I have the amount of people you see not wearing a mask or social distancing is terrifying.

“It’s vital people follow the rules and I’d beg them to make sure they do – for their – and everyone else’s – sakes.”

FINAL STAGES OF HIS CAREER

He made two final appearances at the Lakeside in 2005 and 2006 before health issues saw him not able to take to the stage for the final time he qualified back in 2007 to face his 2006 opponent, Simon Whitlock.

Time away from the oche followed with Fordham returning in low key tournaments before mounting a charge to attempt to qualify for the 2008 World Championship but he lost out in the Last 128.

It was no surprise that he was beset by health problems throughout his career. In January 2007, he collapsed while preparing for the opening match of the BDO Worlds.

He was rushed to hospital after suffering with severe chest pains and breathing issues, and had a minor stroke.

ANDY ONLY RECENTLY THANKED FANS FOR SUPPORT AFTER RECOVERING FROM COVID

In an emotional interview with SunSport earlier this year, the former world champion broke down in tears as he explained how a doctor had warned him he faced a make-or-break few days.

Fordham told SunSport: “Right now I am just about coping.

“But I spoke to my doctor who warned me the virus can hit you very quickly.

“My biggest fear is waking up one morning, not being able to breathe and being placed in the back of the ambulance – then not seeing my wife and children again.”

Despite recovering from Covid, the darts legend sadly passed away following organ failure just 6 months after battling the virus.

ANDY ONCE KNOWN AS 'THE WHIPPET'

As a teenager, Andy grew up in Charlton, south east London, and was nick named “The Whippet” according to the MailOnline.

His slender build led him to have a keen passion for track-and-field events as well as football.

He told MailOnline of his weight reaching 31st: ‘I never ate a lot, but I ate badly, grabbing convenience foods – takeaways, pizzas, kebabs – because I was always so busy.

‘If I was working behind the bar, I’d snack on peanuts or crisps, and I never exercised. And then there was the drinking.

‘Looking back, I realise I was an alcoholic. I couldn’t stop myself. I thought I was in control but I wasn’t.

‘I would start drinking as soon as I went downstairs to open up the bar, at around 11am.”

BOBBY GEORGE LEADS TRIBUTES

Bobby George has led tributes to ‘gentle giant’ Andy Fordham after the darts legend died aged 59.

A spokesman for the former BDO World Darts champion confirmed ‘The Viking’ passed away on Thursday morning at hospital from major organ failure.

And fellow darts pal George led the tributes with an emotional statement on social media.

He said: “Just heard the devastating news that Andy Fordham has passed away. He was a gentle giant and loved by all. Our condolences go out to his wife Jenny family and friends. RIP ANDY FORDHAM THE VIKING.”

DRINKING BATTLE

He had always been known as a big drinker, making him a much-loved fan-favourite.

According to the Daily Mail Fordham once drank 62 bottles of Pils after celebrating he and his wife Jenny’s first wedding anniversary in 2001.

While appearing on Celebrity Fit Club in 2004, Fordham revealed he gave up drinking beer and replaced instead drank six bottles of wine a day while on a five-day stag do in Tenerife.

Despite his struggles he went on to win the programme’s biggest loser challenge, losing more than three stone in weight.

HOW MANY DARTS TITLES DID HE WIN?

Fordham was a superb player who was hugely popular with fans.

And his talent arguably deserved more than the one BDO World Championship he won in 2004.

During his career, Fordham won the following darts titles:

BDO World Championship – 2004
BDO Masters – 1999
British Matchplay – 1995
British Pentathlon – 1998, 2003
Finnish Open – 1994
Isle of Man Open – 1995
Norway Open – 1995, 2000
Swiss Open – 1994
Welsh Open – 2002

CONFIRMED ORGAN FAILURE

A spokesperson confirmed to SunSport that Fordham passed away in hospital on Thursday morning after suffering major organ failure.

Doctors were amazed at his ability to fight his health issues but his death has left wife Jenny and their family heartbroken.

HIT BY VIRUS

In January Fordham told SunSport: “Right now I am just about coping.

“But I spoke to my doctor who warned me the virus can hit you very quickly.

“My biggest fear is waking up one morning, not being able to breathe and being placed in the back of the ambulance – then not seeing my wife and children again.”
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 01:23 PM #2

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

I've played him, he was a really nice guy.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 02:14 PM #3
You know my methods

You know my methods

darts legend
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 05:57 PM #4
-

-

omg not andy t’viking fordham

Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 04:40 PM #5
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

RIP

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
andy, died, fordham