Notices

Big Brother 2023 - ITV2 Big Brother UK (BB20) started October 8th 2023 on ITV2 and ITVX.

Old 13-07-2021, 06:43 PM #1

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Default Has racism in the UK gotten better or worse since 2007 Race Row?

I didn't really know what section to post this on, i didn't want to post it under CBB5 as it would get lost, or on the normal forums, because it involves BB.

Anyway, I was thinking about this at work (thinking of anything but work obviously).

What way has racism gone since 2007?

I thought about this because i randomly remembered the eviction. Jade VS Shilpa. Jade left with 82% of the vote, leaving Shilpa with 18%. Now, to be straightforward, so would say "that means 18% of the BB public were racist". But it doesn't factor in potential factors like, if people didn't want to keep Shilpa in there over Jade because then she would still be getting bullied by the others, etc...

Who knows.

But i find it hard to believe that if this same thing happened again in 2021, that only 82% would vote Jade out. 18% is quite a large amount still considering how big the event was.

Maybe in 2021, it would be more 90/10, even though I truly believe that less than 1% of the UK public are racist. Especially openly racist.

Have things since 2007 changed for the better or worse? In the positives, you had the likes of Brian B winning BB that year, the Top 2 in X Factor in 2008 being Alexandra and JLS, the fact that there are more black players in the England team than in 2008 Euro's, etc...

However, we then get social media being more instilled into our lives, where we see everything, lots of crimes etc... i am Italian and most English fans were fine for on Sunday night but one threw a firework towards me and my families direction etc...

What do you think?
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 06:47 PM #2
You know my methods

You know my methods

reality, much better https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ic-disparities

Last edited by Niamh.; 16-07-2021 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Removed baiting section of this post
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 01:29 PM #3

Undeniably better but that doesn’t mean we’re exactly where we need to be in 2021.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 02:43 AM #4
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mazedsalv** View Post
I didn't really know what section to post this on, i didn't want to post it under CBB5 as it would get lost, or on the normal forums, because it involves BB.

Anyway, I was thinking about this at work (thinking of anything but work obviously).

What way has racism gone since 2007?

I thought about this because i randomly remembered the eviction. Jade VS Shilpa. Jade left with 82% of the vote, leaving Shilpa with 18%. Now, to be straightforward, so would say "that means 18% of the BB public were racist". But it doesn't factor in potential factors like, if people didn't want to keep Shilpa in there over Jade because then she would still be getting bullied by the others, etc...

Who knows.

But i find it hard to believe that if this same thing happened again in 2021, that only 82% would vote Jade out. 18% is quite a large amount still considering how big the event was.

Maybe in 2021, it would be more 90/10, even though I truly believe that less than 1% of the UK public are racist. Especially openly racist.

Have things since 2007 changed for the better or worse? In the positives, you had the likes of Brian B winning BB that year, the Top 2 in X Factor in 2008 being Alexandra and JLS, the fact that there are more black players in the England team than in 2008 Euro's, etc...

However, we then get social media being more instilled into our lives, where we see everything, lots of crimes etc... i am Italian and most English fans were fine for on Sunday night but one threw a firework towards me and my families direction etc...

What do you think?
Going off topic for a second, did the idiot who threw the firework at you get arrested? I surely hope that they did.

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2007, race, racism, row, uk, worse