Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 27-09-2021, 02:41 PM #126
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
If the aim is to win back the red wall, that won’t help

They are literally the gift that keeps on giving to the Tory’s currently
They're trying to cater to the hard left, the left of centre, and progressives all at the same time with apparently no insight into the fact that those groups do not overlap in the ways they thought and are perhaps also not as large as they imagined. I genuinely think that Labour has in part fallen for the "social media illusion" - which to be succinct, I would sum up as, the mistaken belief that the groups shouting the loudest are actually large in number. They often are not. They are just passionate and quick to cluster. This applies on both the left and right; the best interests of the centre (80% of people fall only slightly to the left or right) are being lost in a lot of very loud voices from the extremes of both sides. The problem Labour has there is that the voices from the left want more drastic changes, and when you're hearing bellowing from the extremes from both sides, the old "better the devil you know" comes into play. Tories, at least on the surface, offer something closer to "what people are used to". It's an illusion of course and what they actually offer is a descent into neoliberal capitalism and privitisation that benefits only the rich, but they don't openly admit that. Whereas at this point all the left seems to offer these days is banal identity politics and whiney hyperindividualism. The choices are truly grim.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 03:27 PM #127
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
They're trying to cater to the hard left, the left of centre, and progressives all at the same time with apparently no insight into the fact that those groups do not overlap in the ways they thought and are perhaps also not as large as they imagined. I genuinely think that Labour has in part fallen for the "social media illusion" - which to be succinct, I would sum up as, the mistaken belief that the groups shouting the loudest are actually large in number. They often are not. They are just passionate and quick to cluster. This applies on both the left and right; the best interests of the centre (80% of people fall only slightly to the left or right) are being lost in a lot of very loud voices from the extremes of both sides. The problem Labour has there is that the voices from the left want more drastic changes, and when you're hearing bellowing from the extremes from both sides, the old "better the devil you know" comes into play. Tories, at least on the surface, offer something closer to "what people are used to". It's an illusion of course and what they actually offer is a descent into neoliberal capitalism and privitisation that benefits only the rich, but they don't openly admit that. Whereas at this point all the left seems to offer these days is banal identity politics and whiney hyperindividualism. The choices are truly grim.
Well said! Identity politics appeals to such a small amount of people, and it's at best off-putting to basically everyone else ...

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 03:54 PM #128

arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 04:26 PM #129
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Great post

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 11:46 PM #130

Old 28-09-2021, 09:03 AM #131
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

At least this time Labour haven't had to arrange security for members of their party who have been threatened with violence and death. No need for security this time because the woman being threatened has stayed away for her own safety.

They are a ****ing shambles.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 09:05 AM #132
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Excellent post, TS.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 01:36 PM #133

Old 28-09-2021, 02:58 PM #134
Banned

Banned

Deleted Post

Last edited by Tom4784; 20-12-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 03:07 PM #135
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Well yes, he did believe that at the time
We have had a pandemic and other things going on since then.

It's foolish to say a figure until the general election is near.
No one has any idea really, the position we'll be in, in 2 to near 3 years time.
What will inflation be like.
Plus what else may throw itself up as a crisis or issue needing addressing.

He didn't want a £15 min wage debated and voted on at this time.

He's calling for a £ 10 one now.
Which makes sense as to where things are now.

If he was advocating only a £10 min wage in say near 3 years time, then with this government's increases to it, he's barely adding pence to it.

This is the minimum he would set it at now surely if he was in government.
It will be meaningless as a figure of £10 by the time of the next election however.

The desire to aim for a £15 min wage is fine.
Putting it in place from now not so wise with all the uncertainty.

However I think it should be higher than £10 but there's many workers who warrant so much more wage rates anyhow, especially any who have been hardworking and demonstrated endless efforts during this pandemic.

I don't see a contradiction from Starmer here re McDonalds.
However he should be still saying that £15 min wage rate is his aim.

Why on earth do political leaders, Johnson is the same, as was the hopeless Jo Swinson, get themselves into crazy confusing messaging, as to their real aims and beliefs too.
Such as Starmer has here.
Starmer is not the person I wanted as leader, I haven't changed my mind.
I hoped to see him show some passion and really take on this disaster of a government this week.

I'm almost left thinking Starmer doesn't really want to even try to win the next election, let alone actually do so.

We really do have a set of the worst possible leaders of Parties in the UK at present.
Except for Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland and Mark Drakeford in Wales.

I have to say, in Manchester for me, is the man I believe was always and remains so, the best candidate for leader of Labour, namely Andy Burnham.

How MPs and members seem to have lost the ability to elect as leaders, their best talents, is beyond me honestly.

Last edited by joeysteele; 28-09-2021 at 03:09 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 03:30 PM #136
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Well yeah, the current minimum wage may be pathetic, but to try to rocket it all the way to £15 right now just isn't realistic. Make it clear that's what he's building toward, sure, but acting like a £15 minimum wage at this point is or should be a priority? Not happening.

Old 28-09-2021, 03:31 PM #137
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:

nobody can make financial commitments for 6 months time at the moment let alone 2 or 3 years in the future

The tories messaging is awful, labours messaging is awful and that is actually the problem. Everyone knows that labour will increase workers rights/benefits ... it's what they do so they shouldn't even be talking about it. If Stammer was to commit to a huge minimum wage, in a covid hit economy, it would likely mean a huge tax rise which would lose them the next election. So why would he commit to it now. You commit to things when you have won the election, that is the biggest lesson labour need to learn
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 03:32 PM #138
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
nobody can make financial commitments for 6 months time at the moment let alone 2 or 3 years in the future

The tories messaging is awful, labours messaging is awful and that is actually the problem. Everyone knows that labour will increase workers rights/benefits ... it's what they do so they shouldn't even be talking about it. If Stammer was to commit to a huge minimum wage, in a covid hit economy, it would likely mean a huge tax rise which would lose them the next election. So why would he commit to it now. You commit to things when you have won the election, that is the biggest lesson labour need to learn

I agree with all that.
Old 28-09-2021, 03:39 PM #139

The Bakers Union has Disaffiliated
with the Labour Party.

Live on BBCnewsHD
in Brighton

Fighting over the £15 an hour
that Starmer no longer wants

Last edited by arista; 28-09-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 28-09-2021, 03:44 PM #140
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Also coming out of a pandemic with a commitment to massive payrise for burger-flippers when frontline care workers get paid the bare minimum isn't a good look.

Fast food isn't a necessity, and bloated companies like McDonalds just contribute to the destruction of the environment, and the homogenisation of high streets threatening smaller businesses. So on that hand I'd be happy for them to have to spend more of their income on staff wages.

But on the other, their workers aren't who we should be fighting for right now*. If anyone's gonna be given higher wages, it should be our health workers.

Old 28-09-2021, 03:46 PM #141

Frontline health care workers are, of course, important and that can be addressed without needing to be derogatory towards staff who work in fast food as "burger flippers" or any other inane insult. It isn't a good look.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 06:19 PM #142

The Floor Voted for £15 an hour,
against Starmer's wishes.

Tomorrow midday is Keir Starmer's long speech.

Ch4HDnews report.

Last edited by arista; 28-09-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 28-09-2021, 06:20 PM #143
You know my methods

You know my methods

one word:

car

crash
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 06:31 PM #144
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
The Floor Voted for £15 an hour,
against Starmer's wishes.

Tomorrow midday is Keir Starmer's long speech.

Ch4HDnews report.
I agreed with bots you can't make figures now at this time stick really.
As no one knows what the situation will be in months never mind years.

With an election up to 18 months to near 3 years away.
Any figure could be obsolete.

This government planned by the time of the next election to have the min wage of around £9.50.

In fact, by the time we get to 2023 or 2024, depending on inflation and other elements.
It could be £15 could amount to a pay cut, not rise.

We are years off an election.
This vote today may have no meaning at all in a couple of years time.

Plus were Labour to be in a position to be a minority or coalition with the SNP.
Even a £15 min wage level, would only need to be implemented 'sometime' from the first year of government to the fifth.

All this furore over £5, is ridiculous.

My guess would be a figure of more like £12 to £13: would make more sense by the next election, if no more unexpected events occur that is.
Old 28-09-2021, 06:38 PM #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
one word:

car

crash

There is a Split
Corbynistas Vs the Starmers
Old 28-09-2021, 06:41 PM #146
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Keir doesn't need to implement anything so the vote was quite meaningless. All it did was expose the divisions there are in the party. People can call it democracy, but all it does is create a bad impression. This conference has been a complete disaster for labour, and I will guarantee that the Tory conference next week will present a united front, whether the members agree or not. Perception is everything. Will the public vote for a rabble that cant agree on anything or a party with a plan. It's a no brainer
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 06:55 PM #147

"the vote was quite meaningless.
All it did was expose the divisions there are in the party."

Yes very true.
Old 28-09-2021, 07:03 PM #148
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Keir doesn't need to implement anything so the vote was quite meaningless. All it did was expose the divisions there are in the party. People can call it democracy, but all it does is create a bad impression. This conference has been a complete disaster for labour, and I will guarantee that the Tory conference next week will present a united front, whether the members agree or not. Perception is everything. Will the public vote for a rabble that cant agree on anything or a party with a plan. It's a no brainer
There's divisions in all Parties, the only difference is Labour's aren't hidden.
If they were of course we'd be called being deceitful.

All through it's history Labour has been in conflict with its differing wings.

George Brown was a thorn in the side of Harold Wilson apparently.
He was his Deputy PM even all that time ago in the 60s.

Somehow eventually they do and can come together.
It takes however a strong sort of leader.
Even Kinnock has his conflicts with a lot in his party.

Corbyn couldn't unite and neither is Starmer.
We've the wrong leader.

Then again I think all Parties except for the SNP have the wrong leader anyhow.

Last edited by joeysteele; 28-09-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 28-09-2021, 07:38 PM #149
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I agreed with bots you can't make figures now at this time stick really.
As no one knows what the situation will be in months never mind years.

With an election up to 18 months to near 3 years away.
Any figure could be obsolete.
Quote:
Keir doesn't need to implement anything so the vote was quite meaningless.
I think the term "virtue signal" is overused, but in this case it literally is a virtue signal.

Although if we're being technical, anything said by the party at this point is a virtue signal, as they won't potentially be in a position to implement anything for years : joker: but it's easy to say PAY MCDONALD'S STAFF FIFTEEN QUID when they're miles away from being able to do anything about it.

Old 28-09-2021, 10:26 PM #150

Labour plans to put Police Hubs across the UK.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2021, angela, bb, calls, carol, conference, conservatives, heckler, labour, leader, live, party, rayner, scum, vincent