Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:54 PM #1
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Default University of Sussex backs professor in free speech row

The University of Sussex's vice chancellor has defended a professor after protesters tried to have her sacked for her views on gender identity.

Staff "have an untrammelled right to say and believe what they think," Adam Tickell told BBC News.

An anonymous campaign included posters accusing Professor Kathleen Stock of transphobia, a claim she rejects.

Prof Stock tweeted that students shouldn't "just expect to hear their own thoughts reflected back at them".

Posters put up near the University of Sussex campus and an accompanying social media campaign claimed the philosophy professor "makes trans students unsafe".

Photos also show a masked protester standing on the university's sign with a banner that reads "Stock out".

Professor Stock, who recently published a book questioning the idea that gender identity is more "socially significant" than biological sex, completely rejects the claim that she or her work is transphobic.

An Instagram account apparently linked to the campaign posted a "mission statement" calling for Professor Stock to be fired, alongside photos of the protest.

The statement claimed to be from "an anonymous, unaffiliated group of queer, trans and non-binary students who will not allow our community to be slandered and harmed by someone who's [sic] salary comes from our pockets".
The university is investigating the incidents, and will take disciplinary action if necessary, Vice Chancellor Prof Adam Tickell told BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Friday.

"It's absolutely clear that all of our staff have an untrammelled right to say and believe what they think, so we take it very seriously if people try to prevent that right from being exercised," he said.

"I'm really concerned that we have masked protesters putting up posters calling for the sacking of somebody for exercising her right to articulate her views."

Prof Stock thanked the vice chancellor and her supporters on Twitter and said students should not just expect to hear their own thoughts reflected back at them.

She called on her colleagues to speak up, adding: "What kind of future does a University have where intimidation determines what is said or taught?"

A University of Sussex spokesperson said: "We were extremely concerned to see the harassment towards our staff member and took immediate action in response to this, which we continue to do.

"We are deeply committed to being a safe and inclusive university, which values and advances equality and diversity, seeks to resolve conflicts, advances good relations and upholds lawful free speech."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-58841887
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:06 PM #2
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Good on the university for sticking up for Professor Stock.

I bet none of the protestors can actually quote her saying anything harmful...

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:11 PM #3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Prof Stock tweeted that students shouldn't "just expect to hear their own thoughts reflected back at them"

parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:16 PM #4
You know my methods

You know my methods

An anonymous campaign

The statement claimed to be from "an anonymous, unaffiliated group of queer, trans and non-binary students

keyboard warriors
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 10:55 AM #5
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

News
'I will get hate mail now': Lord Robert Winston backs professor in trans row
Watch: 'We're very confused about this... progressively it's got into this argument that people will now accuse me of being transphobic'
Lord Robert Winston has said he fears he will be inundated with hate mail after backing a professor in the eye of a trans storm by saying people "can't change sex".
The biologist, who is professor of science and society at Imperial College London, warned Question Time host Fiona Bruce that producers would need to edit the program after he aired his views.*
During a debate about universities' ability to simultaneously promote free speech and protect their diverse student body, the discussion inevitably swung to Kathleen Stock - a professor of philosophy at the University of Sussex who has faced calls to be removed from her position amid accusations of transphobia.
Backing her academic colleague, Lord Winston said: "I'm about to say something that will mean you'll probably want to edit the programme when I've finished.*
"I will say this categorically - that you cannot change your sex, your sex actually is there in every single cell in the body you have a chromosomal sex you have genetic sex you have hormonal sex, you have all sorts of psychological brain sex, they're all different.
"And we are very confused about this, unfortunately. And progressively it's gotten into this argument that people will now accuse me of being transphobic."
Challenged that others say people can change sex, the former Vice Chancellor of Sheffield Hallam University doubled down on his views.
He went on: "Well, unfortunately, you can't say this publicly, but this is one of the big problems.
"People saying this on this programme undoubtedly will resolve in me getting a huge amount of hate mail - it always does.*
"But I do think it's a big issue about the attitudes.
"There are of course issues, which are important, about young people who are confused about their sex.*
"We won't go down that route here, but it does affect a whole lot of issues in schools and elsewhere in our society. Of course we should accept people as they are.*
"Overall I think it's a very sad thing that we can't discuss this biological science without actually getting completely caught up emotionally with something which is really completely wrong."
Before moving on, host Bruce said: "There are many people who would vehemently disagree with you, so I'm just going to make that clear."
Last week, the University of Sussex vice-chancellor said the institution would not tolerate threats to "academic freedoms", adding that everyone at the university has the right to be free from "harassment and intimidation".
In a statement, the Sussex branch of the University and College Union (UCU) has said all trans and nonbinary members "now more than ever should receive the unequivocal support" of the University of Sussex.
It added: "We urge our management to take a clear and strong stance against transphobia at Sussex."
The statement comes after an anonymous group, reportedly set up by students, launched a campaign to get Prof Stock sacked over her views on gender identification.
Posters calling for Prof Stock to be fired were reportedly put up near the campus, and an image emerged on social media of a campaigner holding a banner saying: "Stock Out".
Prof Stock, who shared the UCU Sussex statement on Twitter on Tuesday, said: "My former union branch UCU Sussex has just effectively ended my career at Sussex University. This just sent to all members."
The UCU said members of the Sussex branch executive are now receiving "personal threats" which the union is raising with university leaders.
How did Prof Stock become the eye of the storm?
Prof Stock has previously said she is "at odds" with a large section of academics as she believes gender identity is not more important than facts about biological sex, "particularly when it comes to law and policy".
In January, hundreds of academics criticised the decision to make Prof Stock an OBE for services to higher education in the New Year Honours.
In the open letter, the philosophers condemned academics who use their status to "further gender oppression" and said they denounced "transphobia in all its forms".
A statement shared by the University of Sussex Students' Union on Friday said: "We stand in solidarity with our trans and nonbinary student community - a community that has not been mentioned in the statements made by the university and Adam Tickell, the vice-chancellor."
It added: "Peaceful protest, which is all that the protest group has done, is not censorship. It has a basic democratic function; those involved are exercising their civil liberties."
A University of Sussex spokesman said: "We have acted - and will continue to act - firmly and promptly to tackle bullying and harassment, to defend the fundamental principle of academic freedom, to support our community and continue to progress our work on equality, diversity and inclusion. We care deeply about getting this balance right.
"There are a range of very strong views and opinions held across the university on a whole variety of issues and topics, including how we support our trans and non-binary community particularly at this time.
"As a community, we need to come together and talk about what is happening at the moment and to look at the way forward.
"We will be doing this in the coming weeks and this will be led by our newly appointed pro-vice chancellor for Culture, Equality and Inclusion."
Discover more from The Telegraph

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 11:00 AM #6

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
News
'I will get hate mail now': Lord Robert Winston backs professor in trans row
Watch: 'We're very confused about this... progressively it's got into this argument that people will now accuse me of being transphobic'
Lord Robert Winston has said he fears he will be inundated with hate mail after backing a professor in the eye of a trans storm by saying people "can't change sex".
The biologist, who is professor of science and society at Imperial College London, warned Question Time host Fiona Bruce that producers would need to edit the program after he aired his views.*
During a debate about universities' ability to simultaneously promote free speech and protect their diverse student body, the discussion inevitably swung to Kathleen Stock - a professor of philosophy at the University of Sussex who has faced calls to be removed from her position amid accusations of transphobia.
Backing her academic colleague, Lord Winston said: "I'm about to say something that will mean you'll probably want to edit the programme when I've finished.*
"I will say this categorically - that you cannot change your sex, your sex actually is there in every single cell in the body you have a chromosomal sex you have genetic sex you have hormonal sex, you have all sorts of psychological brain sex, they're all different.
"And we are very confused about this, unfortunately. And progressively it's gotten into this argument that people will now accuse me of being transphobic."
Challenged that others say people can change sex, the former Vice Chancellor of Sheffield Hallam University doubled down on his views.
He went on: "Well, unfortunately, you can't say this publicly, but this is one of the big problems.
"People saying this on this programme undoubtedly will resolve in me getting a huge amount of hate mail - it always does.*
"But I do think it's a big issue about the attitudes.
"There are of course issues, which are important, about young people who are confused about their sex.*
"We won't go down that route here, but it does affect a whole lot of issues in schools and elsewhere in our society. Of course we should accept people as they are.*
"Overall I think it's a very sad thing that we can't discuss this biological science without actually getting completely caught up emotionally with something which is really completely wrong."
Before moving on, host Bruce said: "There are many people who would vehemently disagree with you, so I'm just going to make that clear."
Last week, the University of Sussex vice-chancellor said the institution would not tolerate threats to "academic freedoms", adding that everyone at the university has the right to be free from "harassment and intimidation".
In a statement, the Sussex branch of the University and College Union (UCU) has said all trans and nonbinary members "now more than ever should receive the unequivocal support" of the University of Sussex.
It added: "We urge our management to take a clear and strong stance against transphobia at Sussex."
The statement comes after an anonymous group, reportedly set up by students, launched a campaign to get Prof Stock sacked over her views on gender identification.
Posters calling for Prof Stock to be fired were reportedly put up near the campus, and an image emerged on social media of a campaigner holding a banner saying: "Stock Out".
Prof Stock, who shared the UCU Sussex statement on Twitter on Tuesday, said: "My former union branch UCU Sussex has just effectively ended my career at Sussex University. This just sent to all members."
The UCU said members of the Sussex branch executive are now receiving "personal threats" which the union is raising with university leaders.
How did Prof Stock become the eye of the storm?
Prof Stock has previously said she is "at odds" with a large section of academics as she believes gender identity is not more important than facts about biological sex, "particularly when it comes to law and policy".
In January, hundreds of academics criticised the decision to make Prof Stock an OBE for services to higher education in the New Year Honours.
In the open letter, the philosophers condemned academics who use their status to "further gender oppression" and said they denounced "transphobia in all its forms".
A statement shared by the University of Sussex Students' Union on Friday said: "We stand in solidarity with our trans and nonbinary student community - a community that has not been mentioned in the statements made by the university and Adam Tickell, the vice-chancellor."
It added: "Peaceful protest, which is all that the protest group has done, is not censorship. It has a basic democratic function; those involved are exercising their civil liberties."
A University of Sussex spokesman said: "We have acted - and will continue to act - firmly and promptly to tackle bullying and harassment, to defend the fundamental principle of academic freedom, to support our community and continue to progress our work on equality, diversity and inclusion. We care deeply about getting this balance right.
"There are a range of very strong views and opinions held across the university on a whole variety of issues and topics, including how we support our trans and non-binary community particularly at this time.
"As a community, we need to come together and talk about what is happening at the moment and to look at the way forward.
"We will be doing this in the coming weeks and this will be led by our newly appointed pro-vice chancellor for Culture, Equality and Inclusion."
Discover more from The Telegraph
Yes, I watched this.
He was stating biological facts, very clearly.
You can’t change your sex, but that doesn’t mean you can’t change your gender.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 11:07 AM #7
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Good for Lord Winston. So many aggressive and hate-filled men send abuse toward people who talk about biological sex, it's just tragic when people bow down to them.

Gender shouldn't come into it. Someone thinking they identify as the other "gender" shouldn't allow them access to those spaces.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 11:41 AM #8
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Yes, I watched this.
He was stating biological facts, very clearly.
You can’t change your sex, but that doesn’t mean you can’t change your gender.
Correct, but as Winston has pointed out he will get abuse for pointing out scientific fact...and will be labelled transphobic...how can that be right?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 16-10-2021, 12:32 PM #9

Did a thread on her

https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/for...d.php?t=378199

Last edited by arista; 16-10-2021 at 03:53 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 12:55 PM #10
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
THIS thread is the older one, poster
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 03:40 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
THIS thread is the older one, poster

Same Topic TS

Merge them.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 05:46 PM #12
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

Same Topic TS

Merge them.
Yes but the other one is the newer (invalid) thread and so it should be that one that is merged into the better, more official thread created by a more sensible poster.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 06:52 PM #13
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Yes but the other one is the newer (invalid) thread and so it should be that one that is merged into the better, more official thread created by a more sensible poster.
life in the fast lane
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 08:14 PM #14
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

I don’t know if I’m coming or going

Old 17-10-2021, 03:53 AM #15
Sod orf

Sod orf

I don't care what you are, I treat people the same. If you deserve praise, then I'll praise you, if you deserve a ribbing, then I'll take the p!ss out of you. That's the way I role. Just be a good human being and we'll get along just dandy
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 11:06 AM #16
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

How long until people realise that self-identification is harming XY women. People are rightly outraged about male violence.... but are glossing over this example.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 03:33 PM #17
Sod orf

Sod orf

Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
backs, free, professor, row, speech, sussex, university