Go Back   ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums > Non Big Brother Chat > Serious Debates & News
Forgot Password? Register account to post


Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #51
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 138,084

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
My point is not all 18 year olds are the same or classed as children

I havenít read every post but at the end of the day itís not the parents that get to say who their offspring choose to date.
Well I kind of do when they're still in school and under my roof. .
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #52
GoldHeart
Senior Member
 
GoldHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,874

Favourites (more):
The Circle 2019: Georgina
BB19: Akeem
IAC2018: Fleur East
The Circle 2018: Alex


Default

Plus you question the intentions of the much older person , like I said most the time it's about sex and money.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #53
Toy Soldier
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,360


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
@niamh and toy soldier

What would your reaction be if your daughters do bring and older man home?

You canít stop them from seeing an older person if thatís what they choose
You can't "stop" them but you can have an open and frank conversation with them, and you can watch that man like a hawk to ensure that she hasn't gotten herself into a bad situation. I very rarely "stop" my daughter from doing anything at all (within reason) but I do talk to her openly about the world, and people, and encourage her to think things through properly. So no I wouldn't "forbid" her from doing it - but I would tell her that I find the motivations and mindset of that older man to be suspect (and creepy).

Quote:
Why is ok for you to call and 18 year old a child and yet at that age they can join the army and be killed.
That is horrendous as well, the fact that we still send teenagers off as soldiers is not "OK" at all for me.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #54
Livia
שטח זה להשכרה
 
Livia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brasov, Transylvania
Posts: 30,539


Default

I reckon there's a tiny minority of genuine love affairs between the very young and the very old and the rest is made up of young people attracted to money and power and old people attracted by youth and beauty.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'll tell you what's tiring. Having to listen to little mini-rants from someone who I'm convinced simply downloaded their entire personality in PDF format.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #55
Toy Soldier
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,360


Default

My dad (who is 65+) is married to someone who is in her early 40's, they met when he was about 60 and she was in her mid 30's ... I have to admit I find it a little odd in the sense of ... why on earth is she attracted to my dad who is neither rich nor "young for his age" - he's genuinely pushing "little old man" status at this point. I mean, he's not poor, but he retired in his late 50's and is well into his pension pot already . Plus she's on about £50k herself and has no kids so it's not about that .

So yeah. I don't really "get it" and it's odd that someone who is technically my "stepmother" is basically the same age as my sister ... but I don't find their relationship creepy ... because again, it's not about the GAP so much as the AGE. Someone pushing 40 clearly knows what they're doing. Even over about 25, I'd still find it pretty strange, but there's a pretty big difference between a 25 year old and an 18 year old. I would genuinely always worry about the motivations of a GROWN UP adult (anyone over about 30) getting into a relationship with an 18 year old just out of school. It just feels like a huge imbalance in terms of life experience, and that sadly often ends up being controlling, and I think that's probably a large part of the appeal for many of these older partners.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #56
thesheriff443
thesheriff443
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,793


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Well I kind of do when they're still in school and under my roof. .
Under the age of 18 you have a little bit of leverage but that I think, not while you are living under my roof is an outdated way of dealing with things.

Ts has a much better approach
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #57
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 138,084

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Under the age of 18 you have a little bit of leverage but that I think, not while you are living under my roof is an outdated way of dealing with things.

Ts has a much better approach
It's worked pretty well for me so far and my two are almost grown so thanks for the advise but I'll stick with my own way
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 12:07 PM   #58
michael21
User banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my big house
Posts: 13,900


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
It's worked pretty well for me so far and my two are almost grown so thanks for the advise but I'll stick with my own way
Just imagine if someone chages there parenting skills just because they read it on a forum
michael21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #59
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 138,084

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael21 View Post
Just imagine if someone chages there parenting skills just because they read it on a forum
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #60
joeysteele
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 38,945

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY
BB19: Cameron
Strictly 2018: Joe Sugg
CBB21: Shane Jenek


Default

For me age is just a number.

As long as both are of a legal age and they both want to be together and are happy.
Why delay happiness.

Celebrities marry much younger people.

Often much more than 22 years between them too.

I do understand it can seem creepy or perhaps even unacceptable however too.

Personally I see no issue if they're happy.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #61
thesheriff443
thesheriff443
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,793


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
It's worked pretty well for me so far and my two are almost grown so thanks for the advise but I'll stick with my own way
I wasnít giving you advice
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #62
thesheriff443
thesheriff443
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,793


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael21 View Post
Just imagine if someone chages there parenting skills just because they read it on a forum
There is more of a chance of that happening than anyone believing anything you post
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #63
Oliver_W
POW! BLAM!
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 14,304

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
My dad (who is 65+) is married to someone who is in her early 40's, they met when he was about 60 and she was in her mid 30's ... I have to admit I find it a little odd in the sense of ... why on earth is she attracted to my dad who is neither rich nor "young for his age" - he's genuinely pushing "little old man" status at this point. I mean, he's not poor, but he retired in his late 50's and is well into his pension pot already . Plus she's on about £50k herself and has no kids so it's not about that .

So yeah. I don't really "get it" and it's odd that someone who is technically my "stepmother" is basically the same age as my sister ... but I don't find their relationship creepy ... because again, it's not about the GAP so much as the AGE. Someone pushing 40 clearly knows what they're doing. Even over about 25, I'd still find it pretty strange, but there's a pretty big difference between a 25 year old and an 18 year old. I would genuinely always worry about the motivations of a GROWN UP adult (anyone over about 30) getting into a relationship with an 18 year old just out of school. It just feels like a huge imbalance in terms of life experience, and that sadly often ends up being controlling, and I think that's probably a large part of the appeal for many of these older partners.
Maybe she's playing the long game and wants YOU!
__________________


What is the cause of his red shiny nose?! Could it be...
Spoiler:

Oom Pah Pah
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #64
Vicky.
0_o
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 64,533


Default

I agree tbh

Infact found it creepy when an 18 year old hit on me not long ago. Yet I seem fine with 24. I think its just the age of the younger one thats a bit iffy tbh. Each to their own I guess but I couldn't do it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
always cook meals, i did have chinese takeaways the year before the corona **** happened
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #65
Vicky.
0_o
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 64,533


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Maybe she's playing the long game and wants YOU!


Maybe
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
always cook meals, i did have chinese takeaways the year before the corona **** happened
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #66
ThomasC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,209
Default

I disagree with most on here.

If they are both happy then so be it.

Who am I to disagree in something that doesn't concern me. They are both legal and as long as there's no element of grooming, coercion then good luck to them.

Whether it's creepy just because I don't agree with it, I don't know.

We all choose to live our lives how we see fit. Love is love.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #67
ThomasC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
substitute "50 year old man" for any other discriminated group and see how long it would be before there was outrage

It is against the law to discriminate against someone purely on the basis of age. The point being that not only is it legal for a man to marry anyone of legal age, it is illegal to say he can't
Agreed and I agree with your other post which was well articulated.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #68
ThomasC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Ask any parent of an 18 years old boy or girl

How would you like your son and daughter to go out with a 50 year old?


100% answer the same

is all the point being made is
Deleted

Last edited by ThomasC; 30-10-2021 at 10:21 AM.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #69
AnnieK
Senior Member
 
AnnieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 13,202


Default

I can look at it from two different angles.

When I was 21 I was with a guy a lot older than me for a good few years. He was very young minded and was far more laid back than I was. My folks were ok with it as he seemed younger and calmed me down a lot. If they hadn't have been ok with it, they would have just had to deal with it as it was my life etc.

Now, on the other hand if my son brought home someone who was a lot older than him when he was 18.....I'm not too sure how I would deal with that.

Tldr.....I think its ok until it directly affects me then I might feel differently
__________________
AnnieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #70
ThomasC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Well I kind of do when they're still in school and under my roof. .
It's not as clear cut as that because when a child reaches a certain age, 16+ the rights of parental responsibility diminish...18+ not at all.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #71
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 138,084

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I disagree with most on here.



If they are both happy then so be it.



Who am I to disagree in something that doesn't concern me. They are both legal and as long as there's no element of grooming, coercion then good luck to them.



Whether it's creepy just because I don't agree with it, I don't know.



We all choose to live our lives how we see fit. Love is love.
With all due respect Thomas, you don't have kids (yet?) You may think differently then
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #72
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 138,084

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I can look at it from two different angles.

When I was 21 I was with a guy a lot older than me for a good few years. He was very young minded and was far more laid back than I was. My folks were ok with it as he seemed younger and calmed me down a lot. If they hadn't have been ok with it, they would have just had to deal with it as it was my life etc.

Now, on the other hand if my son brought home someone who was a lot older than him when he was 18.....I'm not too sure how I would deal with that.

Tldr.....I think its ok until it directly affects me then I might feel differently
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #73
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 138,084

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
It's not as clear cut as that because when a child reaches a certain age, 16+ the rights of parental responsibility diminish...18+ not at all.
It is in my house thankfully my kids are angels though
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #74
ThomasC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
With all due respect Thomas, you don't have kids (yet?) You may think differently then
Yeah maybe.

I don't know if I would be happy with the decision, but I'd just want them to be happy.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #75
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 138,084

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Yeah maybe.



I don't know if I would be happy with the decision, but I'd just want them to be happy.
I do want my kids to be happy but also safe and not taken advantage of
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 02-11-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
18, 50, carr, creepy, dee, girl, jack, jimmy, man, marrying, year

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:41 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
no new posts