Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
LeatherTrumpet
That's what she said
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 76,854


Arrow Prince Harry says quitting work can be good for your mental health



Job Expert Prince Harry today advised people who feel 'stuck in jobs that don't bring them
joy' to quit and said leaving work was something to be 'celebrated', nearly two
years after his acrimonious departure from the Royal Family.


The Duke of Sussex, who lives in an £11million mansion in California and has a
series of endorsement deals with companies that pay him to represent their
brands, said people should leave their jobs to put their happiness first.

But royal biographer Angela Levin, author of 2018 book Harry: Conversations
with the Prince, said today: 'Harry is utterly out of touch with people telling
them to quit their jobs if they have mental health issues.


'Not everyone has £30million tucked away in the bank. I wonder if he'd give
the same advice to people whose mental health is made worse by their
marriage. Be quiet H, please.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nce-Harry.html
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
jet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,380

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan
CBB 11: Speidi
X Factor 2012: Jahmene Douglas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by All The Jingle Ladies View Post


Job Expert Prince Harry today advised people who feel 'stuck in jobs that don't bring them
joy' to quit and said leaving work was something to be 'celebrated', nearly two
years after his acrimonious departure from the Royal Family.


The Duke of Sussex, who lives in an £11million mansion in California and has a
series of endorsement deals with companies that pay him to represent their
brands, said people should leave their jobs to put their happiness first.

But royal biographer Angela Levin, author of 2018 book Harry: Conversations
with the Prince, said today: 'Harry is utterly out of touch with people telling
them to quit their jobs if they have mental health issues.


'Not everyone has £30million tucked away in the bank. I wonder if he'd give
the same advice to people whose mental health is made worse by their
marriage. Be quiet H, please.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nce-Harry.html
Harry is such a twat. I wonder will TS say anything about Harry's self - awareness...nah, that's only reserved for other posters...
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
parmnion
I'm a brawbag
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 34,488

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

What an absolute fanny.

Does he think everyones name has people clambering up their bumholes to employ them in some made up job,that needs about an hours work a month.

He is seriously becoming more and more deranged, unhinged and out of touch with a generation.

Yeah, quit your jobs people, let those Bill's pile up, it's all in the name of good mental health..


IDIOT.
__________________
‐----------
Ho Ho Ho.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Toy Soldier
We had it coming
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 28,513
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Does he though? Does he say that becoming unemployed is good for people's mental health? Or does he say that resignations aren't necessarily a bad thing if you're packing in a job you hate to do something you don't hate. Which is something everyone SURELY should agree with. Believe it or not, you can find a better place to work, and a better way of working, and then ditch a job you hated. I did it 2 and a half years ago .

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All The Jingle Ladies View Post
I wonder if he'd give
the same advice to people whose mental health is made worse by their
marriage. Be quiet H, please.
Why would anyone not agree that someone should leave a marriage that's badly affecting their mental health?? Surely ... ooooh wait, I get it. It's another sadsack DM journalist throwing judgements at Harry and Meghan. Their marriage this time apparently. How shocking and unexpected.

The only reason people have an issue with this is because they are WILLFULLY misrepresenting it as someone saying that people should leave their job and become unemployed. One of you, please quote the part that says that? Go on. It's a simple task if you can manage it.
__________________
Toy Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,646

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Man in ‘sticking with a job you hate is bad for your mental health’ shocker.

Is this seriously the level of ‘journalism’ this country has sunk to?
__________________
Liam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
Glenn.
Senior Member
 
Glenn.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 18,775


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoëlEdmonds View Post
Man in ‘sticking with a job you hate is bad for your mental health’ shocker.

Is this seriously the level of ‘journalism’ this country has sunk to?
Just look at the readership. They love it!!!! Even if they didn’t read or understand it
__________________
.

"I named them for my brothers, Viserys and Rhaegar"


.
Glenn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
LeatherTrumpet
That's what she said
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 76,854


Default



'It has been an extreme pleasure to see that social impact is not just a silo to the
business - it's interwoven into all of the work we do at BetterUp.'

'Product development and innovation is deeply intertwined with the positive social
change we can make in the world.'

'A big component of this mission is building awareness and continuing to pioneer the
conversation'
'With self-awareness comes the need for change'

'The initiative or organization must reach a diverse audience in an equitable manner'

'There will be more on the impact front of course, and I'm committed to ensuring the
measurable and long-lasting impact'

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #8
parmnion
I'm a brawbag
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 34,488

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

It's not the job that causes mental health issues..

People have these mental health issues already, and leaving a job could infact cause you more suffering mentally...

He should have thought about this more before opening his thick gob.
__________________
‐----------
Ho Ho Ho.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
parmnion
I'm a brawbag
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 34,488

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

"The initiative or organization must reach a diverse audience in an equitable manner"


Hows about dropping your prices on the advice you give you stupid twats.

Perhaps then it wont just be giant worldwide corporations taking you up on your over inflated price tags.

Greedy greedy greedy.
__________________
‐----------
Ho Ho Ho.

Last edited by parmnion; 06-12-2021 at 04:38 PM.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #10
rusticgal
Senior Member
 
rusticgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,589


Default

If only everyone had the luxury....he really has no idea.
rusticgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #11
Glenn.
Senior Member
 
Glenn.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 18,775


Default

__________________
.

"I named them for my brothers, Viserys and Rhaegar"


.
Glenn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #12
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 52,968
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

I don’t think anyone needs to be told that quitting a job you don’t enjoy will make you happier...

It’s not always that simple though...for instance if you have a job you hate but it fits in with your childcare arrangements and you are struggling to find a job that will give you similar hours then quitting is not an option, you have to wait for something better to come along
__________________
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #13
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 129,004
Default

He has it all wrong
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #14
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 52,968
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by All The Jingle Ladies View Post


'It has been an extreme pleasure to see that social impact is not just a silo to the
business - it's interwoven into all of the work we do at BetterUp.'

'Product development and innovation is deeply intertwined with the positive social
change we can make in the world.'

'A big component of this mission is building awareness and continuing to pioneer the
conversation'
'With self-awareness comes the need for change'

'The initiative or organization must reach a diverse audience in an equitable manner'

'There will be more on the impact front of course, and I'm committed to ensuring the
measurable and long-lasting impact'

What is that load of verbiage
__________________
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #15
jet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,380

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan
CBB 11: Speidi
X Factor 2012: Jahmene Douglas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Santa View Post
The only reason people have an issue with this is because they are WILLFULLY misrepresenting it as someone saying that people should leave their job and become unemployed. One of you, please quote the part that says that? Go on. It's a simple task if you can manage it.
No, he doesn’t mention unemployment, but nowhere in that article does it say he advised “Quit your job but make sure you have another one to go to first” either….and it’s not a piece of cake for most to just walk out of one job into another. Like he did, with his money spinning title intact (didn't hate being a Royal that much to give it up, eh? "Just call me Harry".
Harry, who was born super privileged and remains so, really isn’t the best person to be advising people who may be only a pay packet away from poverty.
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #16
jet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,380

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan
CBB 11: Speidi
X Factor 2012: Jahmene Douglas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Christmas View Post
What is that load of verbiage
Woke - speak?
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:13 PM   #17
rusticgal
Senior Member
 
rusticgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,589


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
No, he doesn’t mention unemployment, but nowhere in that article does it say he advised “Quit your job but make sure you have another one to go to first” either….and it’s not a piece of cake for most to just walk out of one job into another. Like he did, with his money spinning title intact (didn't hate being a Royal that much to give it up, eh? "Just call me Harry".
Harry, who was born super privileged and remains so, really isn’t the best person to be advising people who may be only a pay packet away from poverty.
Well said Jet..
rusticgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:17 PM   #18
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,646

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Ah, so now he’s being criticised for things he didn’t say, that makes perfect sense
__________________
Liam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #19
parmnion
I'm a brawbag
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 34,488

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

So his company makes money out of peoples mental health....3bn to date.

And this is the best advice they can give to the mainstream media.

Jeezo..
__________________
‐----------
Ho Ho Ho.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #20
AnnieK
Senior Member
 
AnnieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 11,893


Default

I don't comment on H and M any more as its boring BUT as I work in recruitment I will say that what Harry has said is advice we give to people on a daily basis. However, we do also clarify with its always easier to find another job when you are still in one and we would never advocate just straight quitting without something to go to if you are not able to cope with a pay gap for a while.

Some people really do suffer in jibs that they hate and a lot of time their confidence is in tatters due to bad managers, feeling bullied, feeling demoralised etc. We try to encourage them to see that there are options out there that could improve their life in general.

Its not new information Harry is imparting but it isn't terrible advice either
__________________
AnnieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #21
LeatherTrumpet
That's what she said
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 76,854


Default

I clicked on a random "testimonial" from the Betterup nauseating woke website:

“Daniel: It was immensely helpful to talk to my Coach about strategies for nurturing a sense of
calm and control. And then practicing that mindfulness exercise during our session
effectively bridged the didactic component to the experiential. I’m so grateful that my
Coach meets me where I am in such a lovely, focused, and accepting way.”



LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:02 PM   #22
Toy Soldier
We had it coming
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 28,513
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I don't comment on H and M any more as its boring BUT as I work in recruitment I will say that what Harry has said is advice we give to people on a daily basis. However, we do also clarify with its always easier to find another job when you are still in one and we would never advocate just straight quitting without something to go to if you are not able to cope with a pay gap for a while.
Well exactly. Another thing I would say from my experience is that the truth is a lot of the time it's a vicious cycle where you end up so entrenched that you have no energy to try to change it... so you tell yourself it would be too hard/impossible to find something better. I did that for probably 5+ years. From the point of actually deciding I'd had enough, and actively looking for something radically different, it took less than 6 months. And that's a complete role and sector change, if I'd looked at other retail management positions it would presumably have been even quicker to find a new company. Though I imagine all retail management is largely the same **** in a different coloured tie.
__________________
Toy Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:06 AM   #23
Mystic Mock
Blues 28th best team.
 
Mystic Mock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: with joeysteele.
Posts: 47,181
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
X Factor Celebrity: Jenny Ryan
Strictly 2019: Will Bayley


Default

Personally I don't think he has said anything that bad here.

I do think that he will need to learn though that not everyone is in a position to just up and leave a job.

I do agree with his statement for people that are in a decent financial position though.
__________________
Merry Christmas everyone.

Hopefully we all have a strong 2022
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:11 AM   #24
Tom4784
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 44,970
Default

Deleted Post

Last edited by Tom4784; 21-12-2021 at 12:00 AM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:52 AM   #25
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 29,635

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

If I was wanting some career or life choice advice, Harry probably wouldn't make the top 1000. He can try and appear compassionate and all the rest of it, but he just hasn't and won't face the challenges that mere mortals have to deal with.

If people find his advice valuable, good luck to them, I hope it works out for them
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
good, harry, health, mental, prince, quitting, work

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:01 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts