Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:56 AM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
What child would want to watch an episode about Periods? In fact what adult would want to watch an episode about Periods?

I feel like sometimes writers are forgetting that they're in an entertainment medium when they write certain episodes.
Well actually periods is huge and most probably frightening for young people. You blow it out of massive context. It's someone going to purchase sanitary products....this makes young people curious and opens up debate with parents...in turn the child is less worried when the time comes. It's not flat out an episode with periods, how you menstruate, pictures of wombs... Adults probably wouldn't want to watch it because they already know about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Trans women can’t have periods because they have no womb, so to put a trans woman in an episode saying she uses sanitary towels is not educational, it’s taking the p1ss

The world is seriously fcuked up at this stage
Trans man and sanitary products are not just used for periods.

No the world is fecked up because of people's very narrow minded outlooks on life.

Quote:
I stand corrected
So the trans man must still have a womb and not taking meds to stop periods
And is pre op.

All this going on in an episode for kids.
No it's not. You are blowing it out of context. Shall we wrap kids up on cotton wool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
How will kids know this is a transman? Will they think that men have periods?
That wouldn't be educational in the slightest to kids, it would be confusing. Madness.
The world is confusing. This is where the role of a parent and other adults come into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn. View Post
Well hopefully they have intelligent parents to answer any questions they may or may not ask
100% spot on!!

Quote:
The same intelligent parents that are criticising the episode.

Parents decide what their kids should watch not people with no kids

The sense of entitlement from some on here thinking they know what’s best.
And here lies one of the problems. It's a children's programme and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Are these likely to be the same parents who would object to their children be taught about gays?

It just wraps children up in a bubble, unprepares them for the real world, makes them less open minded.

Please tell me what harm it does to show someone going into a store to buy sanitary products? Please tell me what the big fuss is about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Disney, the same company who airbrush out gay characters for China, alter their posters so black people are barely visible.

I also don't agree with this new show. Can we just allow kids to be kids for a bit maybe?
How is it not allowing kids to be kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn. View Post
If they were intelligent they wouldn’t be criticising it.
Yeah I agree
ThomasC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:29 AM #27

Yeah, I'm not quite getting the furore over this. Its probably, what, a 5 minute part at most? Most kids won't think anything of it, the ones that do will probably ask their parents what a period is and that's that. Kids are so accepting that they'll only think its a big thing if the adults around them make it a big thing.

I've been open with my kid about all things sex and body functions since he started to ask about things. I've always been honest and answered his questions properly and in language he will get. We don't get embarrassed and he knows he can ask anything. He is nearly 12 now and hitting puberty hard and so lots of changes happening. We chat, no-one is embarrassed and nothing is a big deal. If you explain things to kids they accept it and get on with their day. There will be kids out there with trans parents or family members so normalising it in this way makes sense to me.

Parents going mad about it will make kids think either a) periods shouldn't be discussed or b) trans =bad

Last edited by AnnieK; 03-07-2022 at 08:30 AM.
AnnieK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:34 AM #28

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

I imagine the little babies plonked in front of the telly to appease them all day have a million questions to ask....when they can talk.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:35 AM #29
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Imagine thinking you have more rights than the actual parents when it comes to what their children should be exposed to at a young age.

End of conversation, if you want to continue go to a primary school gates and start telling parents what their kids should be watching, they won’t be as polite as I’ve been in this thread.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:38 AM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Yeah, I'm not quite getting the furore over this. Its probably, what, a 5 minute part at most? Most kids won't think anything of it, the ones that do will probably ask their parents what a period is and that's that. Kids are so accepting that they'll only think its a big thing if the adults around them make it a big thing.

I've been open with my kid about all things sex and body functions since he started to ask about things. I've always been honest and answered his questions properly and in language he will get. We don't get embarrassed and he knows he can ask anything. He is nearly 12 now and hitting puberty hard and so lots of changes happening. We chat, no-one is embarrassed and nothing is a big deal. If you explain things to kids they accept it and get on with their day. There will be kids out there with trans parents or family members so normalising it in this way makes sense to me.

Parents going mad about it will make kids think either a) periods shouldn't be discussed or b) trans =bad
I would give you a gold medal of I could.

Nail on the bloody head.

Especially your part about A) and B)

Social learning theory, or in simple terms, what children learn from others and how they are brought up will really shape them.

We will install fear in children and not prepare them if we don't have open debate and dialogue and just taboo subjects.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:44 AM #31
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan. View Post
The character is a trans man as stated in the article.
Having it as two words is confusing. It should be transman, adding the space makes it sound like "man who is trans", which would be a transwoman.

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:44 AM #32

Quote:
Imagine thinking you have more rights than the actual parents when it comes to what their children should be exposed to at a young age.

End of conversation, if you want to continue go to a primary school gates and start telling parents what their kids should be watching, they won’t be as polite as I’ve been in this thread.
Exposed to?

It's certainly nothing harmful. It's a natural process that young children will end up going through. How much of the, half an hour maybe, do you think is around periods? When I say periods, I mean actually going to buy some sanitary products? Maybe we should blindfold children as they walk past sanitary items in the supermarket, in case, god forbid, they might ask what they are and what they are used for.

No one has anymore more rights. The parent has the right, does it make it right? Questionable and hence the debate...which I think is all quite mad it is a debate.

End of conversation? So basically you don't want to engage in a debate on the matter.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:47 AM #33

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Where does baymax keep his cash..he doesnt have any pockets.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:51 AM #34
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Where does baymax keep his cash..he doesnt have any pockets.
He has wireless payment built into his software.

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:54 AM #35

Also periods/ejaculation can start as low as 8/9 so again I don't think there's any harm in discussing this.

I actually think they have done a brilliant thing in having children's shows including elements of real life and things children will experience. It builds resilience. Without it you may have problems that cause long term psychological damage
Old 03-07-2022, 08:59 AM #36
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

can we pretty please throw words like ''woke'' and ''cancel culture'' in the trash bin

i love Disney+, love its variety of content (also good for them in the US, having taken over Dancing with the Stars from ABC also with the original producer whom was with them from seasons 1 to 10, very good move which will get all of the hardcore DWTS viewers signing up with them)

Netflix started off well but is beginning to lose the streaming services war, also thanks to new HBO Max grabbing away most of its content rights from big companies such as Warner Bros, more people will be put off i think with them putting in ad breaks in their series, films

in terms of the topic of this discussion, have nothing to say about a ''nothingness debate'' since there isn't such thing as ''woke'' well the only people who are ''woke'' are the far right, especially those groups such as Golden Dawn and other far right extremist groups who are anti-freedom of speech
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:00 AM #37

Quote:

But you're trying to do the same? By saying it shouldn't be shown you are telling those same parents what their kids should be exposed to? Its not for us to be outraged for every parent because for every person who thinks like you that its wrong, there will be someone else who thinks otherwise.

Basic sex education starts in year 2 now so its natural that programmes will tackle similar issues
Old 03-07-2022, 09:07 AM #38

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Its not for us to be outraged for every parent because for every person who thinks like you that its wrong, there will be someone else who thinks otherwise.
What if the worlds population is an odd number?
Old 03-07-2022, 09:27 AM #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
What if the worlds population is an odd number?
I have no answer to that
Old 03-07-2022, 09:32 AM #40
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
But you're trying to do the same? By saying it shouldn't be shown you are telling those same parents what their kids should be exposed to? Its not for us to be outraged for every parent because for every person who thinks like you that its wrong, there will be someone else who thinks otherwise.

Basic sex education starts in year 2 now so its natural that programmes will tackle similar issues
I’m saying it’s the parents right to decide what’s right for their children.

By putting a trans man in the episode saying he use’s sanitary is where it goes wrong

A man can’t have periods which we have all been taught in school, so the trans man still has a womb.
That will be confusing for children

Would you let strangers decide what your son should watch .?

I’m not anti trans but give kids a chance to be kids.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:45 AM #41

Quote:
I’m saying it’s the parents right to decide what’s right for their children.

By putting a trans man in the episode saying he use’s sanitary is where it goes wrong

A man can’t have periods which we have all been taught in school, so the trans man still has a womb.
That will be confusing for children

Would you let strangers decide what your son should watch .?

I’m not anti trans but give kids a chance to be kids.
No, I decide what my son can watch. Anything that is put on TV though could be questionable and is put on there by strangers. Emmerdale has a trans character that discussed having his breast removed, that was shown when most kids are still up. No mass furore then.

If parent's are worried about what their kids could see that could confuse them, they shouldn't be letting them watch TV alone.

Kids are far more aware than they are given credit for. Trans is a fact of life now and the older they get the more they already know. Its not a show aimed at preschoolers. If we have better awareness then is becomes more normal and people aren't shocked by things such as this. Live and let live comes into play and the world is a happier place.

Last edited by AnnieK; 03-07-2022 at 09:45 AM.
AnnieK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:57 AM #42

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

The issue for me is nothing to do with educating a child about periods/ sanitary products or transmen/woman in a cartoon - fire away. (Though I think many young children could be confused/disturbed and NOT ask questions - they are not all duplicates.
It is what the cartoon child is perceiving as a man telling her he uses ‘the ones with wings’. Therefore many children may believe that it a given that everyone has periods and not even question it, why would they if they need that education in the first place? That scene isn’t ‘educational’, it’s totally misleading.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:13 AM #43

Quote:
The issue for me is nothing to do with educating a child about periods/ sanitary products or transmen/woman in a cartoon - fire away. (Though I think many young children could be confused/disturbed and NOT ask questions - they are not all duplicates.
It is what the cartoon child is perceiving as a man telling her he uses ‘the ones with wings’. Therefore many children may believe that it a given that everyone has periods and not even question it, why would they if they need that education in the first place? That scene isn’t ‘educational’, it’s totally misleading.
A lot of children are very inquisitive so are likely to ask why is that man giving advice and then an adult would be able to explain. I would consider that a positive to moving forward in society.

Whether you understand it at the time doesn't really matter as you will eventually learn these things and of they're that worried then they are likely to ask.

I hate this whole cancel culture and level of political correctness. The world has gone mad. I suppose the simple solution is that, as a parent, if you're not happy with your child watching it then you don't let them. I think it's ridiculous myself
Old 03-07-2022, 11:14 AM #44

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Mummy, whybis my cartoon all woke all of a sudden.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:39 AM #45
Adios

Adios

Quote:
Well you would know what’s best for their kids.

Oh wait you don’t, you just think you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Exposed to?

It's certainly nothing harmful. It's a natural process that young children will end up going through. How much of the, half an hour maybe, do you think is around periods? When I say periods, I mean actually going to buy some sanitary products? Maybe we should blindfold children as they walk past sanitary items in the supermarket, in case, god forbid, they might ask what they are and what they are used for.

No one has anymore more rights. The parent has the right, does it make it right? Questionable and hence the debate...which I think is all quite mad it is a debate.

End of conversation? So basically you don't want to engage in a debate on the matter.
There it is. “Exposed to”

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:41 AM #46

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
A lot of children are very inquisitive so are likely to ask why is that man giving advice and then an adult would be able to explain. I would consider that a positive to moving forward in society.

Whether you understand it at the time doesn't really matter as you will eventually learn these things and of they're that worried then they are likely to ask.

I hate this whole cancel culture and level of political correctness. The world has gone mad. I suppose the simple solution is that, as a parent, if you're not happy with your child watching it then you don't let them. I think it's ridiculous myself
If a child doesn't know about periods in the first place and who will have them and who won't, why would they ask "why is that man giving advice"? - they would then take it as a given that all people have them.
Just as many children are as likely to NOT ask questions about everything they see.

I just think the transman scene is totally misleading and unnecessary and probably a 'jump on the bandwagon' exercise by Disney designed to gain maximum publicity for the cartoon.

I agree with you that the world has gone mad. Totally.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:43 AM #47

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Which country hates black people so much that they can't even look at them in a poster?

Trust me I believe you that it exists because it's 2022, but whatever country that Disney has to make this edit for needs to get a grip, even if it's a country that I normally like.
For the China market. Good old Disney, claiming to be all about pride and diversity in the west, gay characters, edit most things relating to gay anything out of their films, and editing film posters so you can barely see the black characters in any of their films.

Translation, Disney couldn't give a toss about diversity, they're not lgbt whatsoever. If they think it can make them more money, they'll use it though.

Last edited by Swan; 03-07-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Swan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:47 AM #48

Kids won't ask why their cartoons are suddenly woke....the kids themselves are far more aware than that. I've just googled it and this show is particularly aimed at kids aged 10 and older (although younger kids will be watching im sure). Kids at 10 will have had the mandatory sex education in school and be aware of periods and trans issues etc. But yeah, agree with Thomas, if you're not happy with your kids watching shows that may or may not be appropriate, watch it with them or switch off the tv and go out and do something else.
The fact is, there are transmen around who do need to buy sanitary products so its not like it doesn't happen.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:53 AM #49

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The fact is, there are transmen around who do need to buy sanitary products so its not like it doesn't happen.
Well, as adults we know that. I think you are missing my point completely (if you read my post that is)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:54 AM #50

Quote:
If a child doesn't know about periods in the first place and who will have them and who won't, why would they ask "why is that man giving advice"? - they would then take it as a given that all people have them.
Just as many children are as likely to NOT ask questions about everything they see.

I just think the transman scene is totally misleading and unnecessary and probably a 'jump on the bandwagon' exercise by Disney designed to gain maximum publicity for the cartoon.

I agree with you that the world has gone mad. Totally.
If a child is watching the show and doesn't know about periods, they are of an age where it isn't an issue if they have all the facts or not.
If their parents haven't told them about it yet, they will learn in school about them when they are of an age that it matters. Thinking everyone has them is not confusing, if they don't know about them, they probably won't think anything else about it.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
advice, creepy, disney, girl, man, offering, shows, transgender, woke