Notices

Football Discuss football in general, including The World Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

Old 16-08-2022, 01:44 PM #1
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Thumbs up Glasgow Rangers - PSV some fun facts

both rangers and psv, got the same walk on song

ur simply the best, ur better than all the rest

psv are going to be feeling right at home tonight

-------------------------
Van Bronckhorst and Van Nistelrooy played together for dutch team for a very long time in the 2004 and 2008 european championships, but also the world cup of 2006

http://www.scotzine.com/2022/08/40m-...an-nistelrooy/

Quote:
DUTCH mates Giovanni van Bronckhorst and Ruud van Nistelrooy will go toe-to-toe in a £40million duel at Ibrox tonight.

The former Holland international team-mates meet when their teams Rangers and PSV Eindhoven clash in the first leg of the Champions League play-off with the lucrative groups stages awaiting the victors.

The Govan outfit last played in European football’s elite club competition in season 2010/11 before their financial problems forced them into liquidation before re-emerging from the bottom tier.

Steven Gerrard was in charge when they were knocked out of the qualifiers by Malmo last season, but, under the guidance of Van Bronckhorst, made it all the way to the Europa League Final in Seville where they lost on penalty-kicks to Eintracht Frankfurt following a 1-1 draw after extra-time.

The former Gers player said: “It is my hope and our hope we are playing European football every season.

“No doubt in my mind that, every year we are involved in European football, we want to be part of the Champions League.

“That has to be our goal and that’s why we work hard.

“It doesn’t mean we will play every year in the Champions League, but that is the desire and we want to show everyone that we want to be in that tournament.”

Van Bronckhorst, speaking to Sky Sports, continued: “I obviously coached before in the Champions League, it is a tournament you want to be involved in a player, as club, as a coach.

“I came here and wanted to win this club prizes and wanted to play at the highest level and that is Champions League.

“The main thing for me is to qualify and bring the club back into the biggest stage in European football.”

Speaking of his friendship with PSV gaffer Van Nistelrooy, he said: “I haven’t been in touch with him lately.

“I never thought that he would be a coach, I never thought of being a coach when I was playing, either.

“He took his badges for a couple of years and made the decision to get his experience in the PSV academy and he did well with the Under-19s and last season with the PSV second team.

“He has been given the chance to coach the first team and PSV is a place he is familiar with and the back-up and support he gets from the club is similar to what I got at Feyenoord. I am looking forward to meeting him again, to see a player I played with also making his steps in management”

Van Nistelrooy said comradeship would be put to one side this evening and stated: “We can meet at other times for dinner and hang out.

“Tonight we both are defending our own badges and that is the way it is.

“When you face a friend as a team, as a player, you only want one thing, for your team to win and that will be the case on this occasion.”

Van Bronckhorst added: “The rewards you get are bigger and that is the pressure, but you don’t have to take it into the game.

“You just concentrate on your strengths and ability to play well and to overcome PSV in two games.

“It is a big game, but you want to big games in your career, you like big challenges and it is a big challenge for us.”

Ryan Kent was rested for the 4-0 league win over St Johnstone on Saturday while James Sands missed out through illness.

Both are back in Van Bronckhorst’s squad for tonight’s intriguing encounter.

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
facts, fun, glasgow, psv, rangers